USMB Coffee Shop IV

Oy. Wasn't trying to awake bad feelings in anyone, really, I wasn't.

I must admit, I know very little of Miley Cyrus. Sorry if the pic offended some sensibilities.

Usually I get bullseyes around here with cool pics....

:)

not complaining about your post stat. no issues there at all. persoannly i am disapponted in miley. I think she used to be a positive role model for kids. i'm not sure what happened, whether it was to jumps start here career, prove to the world she was an adult or whatever. But IMO she gives a very bad model for young ladies to follow, which is who she appeals too. Maybe I'm getting old fashion in my old age. Or maybe its that i see first hand the issues many of my friends are having with their teenage daughters and I see with teen age girls in general. I think they are being bombarded with the wrong values in our current culture. and miley has become part of that wrong message. She has a huge following and its not my place to judge others. I would just rather see people with that much influence sending a better message.

Summa youse guys sure read a lot into a simple picture of mother and daughter sipping coffee... :rolleyes:

you do know she is pro gun rights :eusa_whistle:

not complaining about your post stat. no issues there at all. persoannly i am disapponted in miley. I think she used to be a positive role model for kids. i'm not sure what happened, whether it was to jumps start here career, prove to the world she was an adult or whatever. But IMO she gives a very bad model for young ladies to follow, which is who she appeals too. Maybe I'm getting old fashion in my old age. Or maybe its that i see first hand the issues many of my friends are having with their teenage daughters and I see with teen age girls in general. I think they are being bombarded with the wrong values in our current culture. and miley has become part of that wrong message. She has a huge following and its not my place to judge others. I would just rather see people with that much influence sending a better message.

Summa youse guys sure read a lot into a simple picture of mother and daughter sipping coffee... :rolleyes:

Naughty naughty Spoonie. That's getting just a weeee bit too political. Let's just stick with disgusting. :)

Naw, its more like a knee jerk reaction--at least it was with me--to a symbol of everything we don't like in modern American culture. And Miley Cyrus is definitely one of those symbols as is Justin Bieber and others who flaunt their fame and think they don't need to exhibit good manners or be good role models. Admittedly they are not required to have good manners or be good role models and it is their perfect right to be whoever they choose to be. And it is my perfect right to think they are pretty disgusting. :)

It's still hard to derive that out of this picture. To me the most offensive thing in there is the "Iron Maiden" T-shirt, and that's a stretch. Call me crazy but I just see a mom and daughter sipping coffee. With smiles. :dunno:

Hmmm... Picture George Bush and Sarah Palin having coffee in that pic instead, understand now?

And you too Newby. Just a weeee bit too political. :) I think we have to resist that. But a non-political figure as disgusting? Yeah. I can't argue with that when I agree with it.

Actually both Miley and Justin are probably okay people if we got to know them personally. But their public image simply is not commendable to many of us, while I'm sure others have no problem with them.

same here. I'm so tired of negative role models.

I must admit, I know very little of Miley Cyrus. Sorry if the pic offended some sensibilities.

Don't get me wrong, Stat, I wasn't saying you have some kind of nefarious reasons for posting pictures of who you do, that's not it at all.

I just truly think that little broad is one low life, trashy, little harlot, so, I took the liberty of expressing my opinion. I wish young girls didn't look up to tramps like that as role models.

personally there aren't too many people from hollywood or the entertainment industry i like. but thats besides the point. I mean if you look at who our role models were as kids, they were no prizes or great examples either. drugged out rockers and rebels. so i guess its all relative.

I guess what bothers me most about miley is that she had this massive following based on a good girl image. all these littel girls loved her and looked up to her as hannah montana. then all of a sudden ist like ok girls, we've grown us, its time to get nasty.

And stat, no i don't take offense to your post or who you choose to post. and i don't think you should adjust your style or what you do worrying about who might get offended or not. that a real big problem to, people get so offended over nothing. if i don't like something, i just ignore it.

No I don't, nor do I care. Again, there's no reference to that in the picture. It's two women drinking coffee.

I cannot recall any celebrities preforming so out of bounds when I was just a wee shaver. Sure there were polarizing figures. Muhammad Ali for example. Some people disliked him for his politics, others loved him for his stand. But no one disputed his athleticism or his charisma. The Beatles sang "I wanna hold your hand" and then the Rolling Stones sang "Let's spend the night together" and both were criticized for their hairstyles, not lifestyles.

Jim Morrison became legendary on stage in Miami Florida, but no one seemed to think less of him because there wasn't TMZ and Youtube to document what really went on. A lot of those rockers died, but aspersions were not heaped upon them for their fates.

But today in the era of instant and thorough communications, every transgression every misstep is documented and posted. These two kids, Cyrus and Beiber, came of age too late to survive being kids in the guise of adults.

Naw, its more like a knee jerk reaction--at least it was with me--to a symbol of everything we don't like in modern American culture. And Miley Cyrus is definitely one of those symbols as is Justin Bieber and others who flaunt their fame and think they don't need to exhibit good manners or be good role models. Admittedly they are not required to have good manners or be good role models and it is their perfect right to be whoever they choose to be. And it is my perfect right to think they are pretty disgusting. :)

It's still hard to derive that out of this picture. To me the most offensive thing in there is the "Iron Maiden" T-shirt, and that's a stretch. Call me crazy but I just see a mom and daughter sipping coffee. With smiles. :dunno:

Have you listened to Miley Cyrus's music? The Maiden shirt may be the least offensive thing in the pic.....:lmao:

Hmmm... Picture George Bush and Sarah Palin having coffee in that pic instead, understand now?

No. That would be two more people being human. And Stats has posted myriad photos of pols drinking coffee before -- none of them carried a political message. Just people being human. I see that as the same purpose I had in putting up this thread a while back -- there's just more to any human than all the nefarious baggage we hang on them, and it's worthwhile to remember that's what they are -- human. It's really not necessary to play pictures backward to find satanic messages that aren't there; when we narrow our image down to some set of demonic traits gleaned from third party media, we deny them their humanity.

Uh, IMHO...

I mean --- to me it's a relief to see a picture of what's supposed to be a "controversial" figure... Sarah Palin, Mylie Cyrus, whoever... simply being human and not controversial at all. It means we're free to either not hang all that garbage on them or not have to defend them from it. Why can't it just be a picture of somebody drinking coffee (or playing music, or whatever), just like the rest of us? It reminds us they're people, like we are. And that gives us common ground. Or in the case of coffee-- grounds.

Last edited:
So we got a wet vac to try and clean up the carpets a bit, what with having the soon-to-be 5 year old and, currently, 2 dogs and a cat here (the little dog being only sort of potty trained). Anyway, we've cleaned all of the downstairs carpets recently. I just did my room 2 days ago, and put all my stuff back in yesterday after it had dried. So, of course, the cat decides that today is a perfect time to get a bunch of litter stuck on her fur and drop it off in my room. :mad:

Just can't win with these animals!

I cannot recall any celebrities preforming so out of bounds when I was just a wee shaver. Sure there were polarizing figures. Muhammad Ali for example. Some people disliked him for his politics, others loved him for his stand. But no one disputed his athleticism or his charisma. The Beatles sang "I wanna hold your hand" and then the Rolling Stones sang "Let's spend the night together" and both were criticized for their hairstyles, not lifestyles.

Jim Morrison became legendary on stage in Miami Florida, but no one seemed to think less of him because there wasn't TMZ and Youtube to document what really went on. A lot of those rockers died, but aspersions were not heaped upon them for their fates.

But today in the era of instant and thorough communications, every transgression every misstep is documented and posted. These two kids, Cyrus and Beiber, came of age too late to survive being kids in the guise of adults.

I think any pop culture icon reflects the values they're swimming in at the time. In order to keep an attentive audience they'll usually find the edge of that envelope and push it along. In that sense I don't think we have anything going on now that hasn't always been the case.

In other words I don't think they're driving those values; they're trying to be in the front of it as a figurehead but they're really following values that are already trending.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

No. That would be two more people being human. And Stats has posted myriad photos of pols drinking coffee before -- none of them carried a political message. Just people being human. I see that as the same purpose I had in putting up this thread a while back -- there's just more to any human than all the nefarious baggage we hang on them, and it's worthwhile to remember that's what they are -- human. It's really not necessary to play pictures backward to find satanic messages that aren't there; when we narrow our image down to some set of demonic traits gleaned from third party media, we deny them their humanity.

Uh, IMHO...

no one is taking any issue with stats posts, or who he posts, or suggesting he do anything differently. some of us just made comments about our views on one of the indiiduals. a lot of us have made positive comments about many of the others. nothing is being read into a picture. or no one is being offended by it.

I think any pop culture icon reflects the values they're swimming in at the time. In order to keep an attentive audience they'll usually find the edge of that envelope and push it along. In that sense I don't think we have anything going on now that hasn't always been the case.

In other words I don't think they're driving those values; they're trying to be in the front of it as a figurehead but they're really following values that are already trending.

riding in on the bust this morning i sat next to a late teens, maybe early 20's girl. she had on the headphoes and ws listening to music which i could still overhear. one of the songs i was like am i really hearing what i think i'm hearing. I was shocked. so anyway, this conversation reminded me of it again and i just googled the words i thought i heard. and damn, if i wasn't right.

Not sure how to use the spoiler here, because this definitely isn't work safe and this would definitely be found offensive by many. but IMO this is a little to far ahead of pop culture. and this is what teen girls are listening too?

I'll put the link to in case i don't get the spoiler right

KHIA - MY NECK MY BACK (DIRTY VERSION) LYRICS

riding in on the bust this morning i sat next to a late teens, maybe early 20's girl. she had on the headphoes and ws listening to music which i could still overhear. one of the songs i was like am i really hearing what i think i'm hearing. I was shocked. so anyway, this conversation reminded me of it again and i just googled the words i thought i heard. and damn, if i wasn't right.

Not sure how to use the spoiler here, because this definitely isn't work safe and this would definitely be found offensive by many. but IMO this is a little to far ahead of pop culture. and this is what teen girls are listening too?

:lol: Sometimes the timing of a mistake is just great

:lol: Sometimes the timing of a mistake is just great

lol, it could be because she was pretty much flashing them too . i kept thinking her underwear hang lower than her skirt

Yes you do, and whatever one thinks about Miley Cyrus--I don't care for her either--she is definitely a celeb and therefore appropriate in the coffee pics so far as I am concerned. I also don't have any problem with those expressing their opinion of her. :)

She probably drinks her coffee laced with something else....:D

Money happened....it beats out morals for a lot of people.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

Miley is a beautiful girl, there's no doubt about that. Her choices are what most people question. I'm sure she does a lot of normal things that decent people do, too, but that still doesn't make her respectable.

The picture is nice....Miley, not so much.....:)

[MENTION=17441]Newby[/MENTION]

I would have absolutely not problem with that. In fact, the very pols pols drinking coffee that I posted were Eisenhower and George W. Bush. That was in CS II, in late January.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back