USMB Coffee Shop IV

Last Tuesday the wife started her second cycle of chemo, as mentioned I had cut her hair to a short pixie....... Well, by Thursday she looked like she had the mange with all the hair falling out so I shaved it all off for her. She slept last night with a winter beanie on but it was too warm for her so I sewed up a Scrooge nightcap but she didn't like the tail so I made a cotton beanie for her to sleep in. She's happily taking a nap with her new beanie on.

Finished 2 more tops and am working on a quilt as you go country lanes quitl. It takes 4 times as long to do the quilting as it does the blocks, but since you just quilt twelve-inch squares, they're small and manageable, whereas a huge quilt is way beyond what I can handle. Also, the machines nowadays have the best stitches, and they really do a nice job of getting everything done. That's life, good and bad about any given thing. *sigh*

Found some blueberries in the freezer and made blueberry pie this afternoon. Enjoy!

exps145896_TH153342B03_13_5b.jpg

Oh my B. I'm sitting here trying to be really good and not indulge in what I shouldn't, and that looks sooooo good. i would have to justify it by how good blueberries are for us, i.e. the crown jewel of fruit when it comes to beneficial qualities.
Didn't mean to hurt your diet, but blueberries, cranberries, raspberries, and blackberries have wonderful antioxidants in them that protect cells from free radicals. A cup of blueberries has 84 calories: 10 good health benefits of blueberries: 10 Proven Health Benefits of Blueberries. But today, I thought a supper of blueberry pie with reduced sugar would hit the spot. I too am trying to cut back on food, and should have just thawed the berries or made blueberry tea. It's all good!
I decided to eat better, low carb and gluten free. :thup:

AdNua7k.jpg

I have a quiche labeled "Quiche that men love" in the oven right now. The basic elements are bacon, cheddar cheese, sauteed onions with of course the milk/cream and eggs and seasonings that go into any quiche. Probably ungodly high in calories but I am pretty sure one piece will sufffice for me for a meal. Hombre mistakenly bought the mild instead of medium or sharp cheddar cheese that we prefer, but if the quiche is good considering how mild the cheese is, I can substitute any good cheese for the cheddar which would make it edible for Aunt Betty who won't eat cheddar cheese. Will have to figure out how to replace the onion for Dana though.

Cooking at our house is something of a science project for most of our company who vary from vegan to diabetic to gluten free to hypersensitive to various fruit and vegetables--I have mastered fodmap protocol--etc. One shirttail cousin who visits from time to time is wheat, barley, and oats free/gluten free, no soy, eats no animal protein of any kind including eggs and dairy, and must avoid onions, certain peppers, various fruit. Talk about a science project planning a meal to include her!!!! It's a challenge and fun for me though.

Finished 2 more tops and am working on a quilt as you go country lanes quitl. It takes 4 times as long to do the quilting as it does the blocks, but since you just quilt twelve-inch squares, they're small and manageable, whereas a huge quilt is way beyond what I can handle. Also, the machines nowadays have the best stitches, and they really do a nice job of getting everything done. That's life, good and bad about any given thing. *sigh*

Found some blueberries in the freezer and made blueberry pie this afternoon. Enjoy!

Oh my B. I'm sitting here trying to be really good and not indulge in what I shouldn't, and that looks sooooo good. i would have to justify it by how good blueberries are for us, i.e. the crown jewel of fruit when it comes to beneficial qualities.
Didn't mean to hurt your diet, but blueberries, cranberries, raspberries, and blackberries have wonderful antioxidants in them that protect cells from free radicals. A cup of blueberries has 84 calories: 10 good health benefits of blueberries: 10 Proven Health Benefits of Blueberries. But today, I thought a supper of blueberry pie with reduced sugar would hit the spot. I too am trying to cut back on food, and should have just thawed the berries or made blueberry tea. It's all good!

AdNua7k.jpg

I have a quiche labeled "Quiche that men love" in the oven right now. The basic elements are bacon, cheddar cheese, sauteed onions with of course the milk/cream and eggs and seasonings that go into any quiche. Probably ungodly high in calories but I am pretty sure one piece will sufffice for me for a meal. Hombre mistakenly bought the mild instead of medium or sharp cheddar cheese that we prefer, but if the quiche is good considering how mild the cheese is, I can substitute any good cheese for the cheddar which would make it edible for Aunt Betty who won't eat cheddar cheese. Will have to figure out how to replace the onion for Dana though.

Cooking at our house is something of a science project for most of our company who vary from vegan to diabetic to gluten free to hypersensitive to various fruit and vegetables--I have mastered fodmap protocol--etc. One shirttail cousin who visits from time to time is wheat, barley, and oats free/gluten free, no soy, eats no animal protein of any kind including eggs and dairy, and must avoid onions, certain peppers, various fruit. Talk about a science project planning a meal to include her!!!! It's a challenge and fun for me though.
Don't use onions...... You could try shallots. :dunno:

AdNua7k.jpg

Don't use onions...... You could try shallots. :dunno:

She can't have those either. Not even chives on her baked potato.

AdNua7k.jpg

Yikes...what's left for her to eat, besides salads??

I get it though.....when I took care of my Mom in the months before she passed, she too had a specific diet because of her health problems. .Diabetic, congestive heart failure, etc. so there was no sugar, minimal salt & fluids, no carbs, and I don't remember what else.. Preparing meals for her could get tricky.

I watched the cooking channel back then & one show talked about using vegetables to help flavor the food......and/or bring out the flavor of the food. Onions, garlic, bell pepper and celery became a favorite choice for multiple meal options.....though I tried to stay away from carrot or wait to add until the last, because it added a sweetness

AdNua7k.jpg

One daughter flew out to visit me in the US last summer, having turned full on vegan since I had last seen her. She cooked for the whole household, and I won't deny it tasted very good.

But after four days of it, three of us 'escaped' to Chick Fil-A. The grilled chicken sandwich tasted so good.

Life never ceases to amaze me. It's like I'm living life backwards. My kids are like my parents.

I had a killer Saturday night out last night; the place was rocking. While 'they' were probably having a boring night in.

AdNua7k.jpg

Yikes...what's left for her to eat, besides salads??

I get it though.....when I took care of my Mom in the months before she passed, she too had a specific diet because of her health problems. .Diabetic, congestive heart failure, etc. so there was no sugar, minimal salt & fluids, no carbs, and I don't remember what else.. Preparing meals for her could get tricky.

I watched the cooking channel back then & one show talked about using vegetables to help flavor the food......and/or bring out the flavor of the food. Onions, garlic, bell pepper and celery became a favorite choice for multiple meal options.....though I tried to stay away from carrot or wait to add until the last, because it added a sweetness

Yes, if I can use onions, garlic, bell pepper, garlic, salt, pepper, etc. I can make something interesting and taste good whether meat, veggie, or fruit. But if you can't use onion, garlic, peppers, salt, lemon etc. it is a real challenge. Nobody is not allowed potatoes, carrots, and sweet potatoes though, and most vegetables including the squashes, most greens except I have to limit cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower for the fodmap (irritable bowel syndrome diet) allow for a lot of different possibilities.

Last edited:
My Super Bowl Party menu today includes bierocks, slaw, gelatin fruit salad, and banana pudding for a quick easy sit down late lunch/early dinner meal mid afternoon. Then it's apple slices, trail mix, and popcorn for snacks during the game which nobody is interested in but feel obligated to have on.

I took a knee on the Super Bowl, like I did last year. For obvious reasons the Puppy Bowl is not a good alternative.

Hello Coffee Shoppers. As threatened, I am posting here on rare occasion.

I'd like to thank gallantwarrior for sending us the Polar Vertex as a chance to experience Alaskan life. Don't EVER do that again.

Ringel, I just keep thinking good thoughts for you and the wife. I mean in between all the other thinking I do.

Foxfyre, Gracie, beautress, strollingbones ( I put that here, because she'd just take abuse form her toughybutt friends downstairs) love you gals.

See you on Sundays most likely.

save

My Super Bowl Party menu today includes bierocks, slaw, gelatin fruit salad, and banana pudding for a quick easy sit down late lunch/early dinner meal mid afternoon. Then it's apple slices, trail mix, and popcorn for snacks during the game which nobody is interested in but feel obligated to have on.
This is the only super bowl I want.......

great-big-taco-salad.jpg

I took a knee on the Super Bowl, like I did last year. For obvious reasons the Puppy Bowl is not a good alternative.

Hello Coffee Shoppers. As threatened, I am posting here on rare occasion.

I'd like to thank gallantwarrior for sending us the Polar Vertex as a chance to experience Alaskan life. Don't EVER do that again.

Ringel, I just keep thinking good thoughts for you and the wife. I mean in between all the other thinking I do.

Foxfyre, Gracie, beautress, strollingbones ( I put that here, because she'd just take abuse form her toughybutt friends downstairs) love you gals.

See you on Sundays most likely.

save

Always happy when you stop by, Save.

Well, it’s Stupor Bowl Day. Not a big fan of either team so I hope the commercials are good. Gonna have a Pepsi and popcorn for a game time snack. Most likely I’ll be napping when they find the balls have been deflated a bit!

Forum List

Back