USMB Coffee Shop IV

Up here we're all wondering where Winter went off to, then we turn on the news. Guess the mid-west and eastern states are getting hammered. Some of us are amused that they are cancelling flights out of O'Hare because it's too cold for the crews to work outside. Really? I do recall one military exercise, though, during which a Canadian transport plane crashed because it was so cold (about -50F) that the instruments started failing. At least we learned how best to survive in the field in very adverse winter conditions. My team still ran some snare lines for rabbits and squirrels so we had some nice, hot soup...

Squirrel soup??

Never had it though the concept is somewhat more appealing than possum stew.
Lots better than possum stew. Possum is kind of greasy, a lot like parka squirrel.

Well this is what I woke up to this morning... 36 BELOW...

IMG-0018.jpg

... and I've never seen it this cold in my life that I recall. I even had frost on the INSIDE of most of my windows...

IMG-0021.jpg

We set a new low, high temperature for the day yesterday at -10.

I'm very sick of it. It's cool/cold more of the year than not here, and I am not a cool/cold person. One more snap of this crap and I will be looking down in Florida for a new home. Of all the places south I've lived I like Florida the best. It's tropical and I love the beaches and all the water. I'd get me a nice boat if I moved back down there.

IMG-0018.jpg

... and I've never seen it this cold in my life that I recall. I even had frost on the INSIDE of most of my windows...

IMG-0021.jpg

I'm very sick of it. It's cool/cold more of the year than not here, and I am not a cool/cold person. One more snap of this crap and I will be looking down in Florida for a new home. Of all the places south I've lived I like Florida the best. It's tropical and I love the beaches and all the water. I'd get me a nice boat if I moved back down there.
That is pretty harsh. I couldn't imagine living in FL, though. I guess I'm just built for the cold winter with a cooler summer. 70F is just about as hot as I want to deal with.

70 degrees in Florida is jacket temperature. :lol:
My daughter told me it's like that in Okinawa, too

UNLESS you live in a winter sport area or someplace like Albuquerque where you get to see all the pretty snow on the mountains without having to deal with much of it here in town. And we really NEED all that snow on the mountains to have healthy streams, rivers, and lakes in the summertime and for the benefit of the wildlife up there who really suffer in dry winter years.

IMG-0018.jpg

IMG-0021.jpg

Hope your weather warms up pretty soon. brrrr!

Finished 2 more tops and am working on a quilt as you go country lanes quitl. It takes 4 times as long to do the quilting as it does the blocks, but since you just quilt twelve-inch squares, they're small and manageable, whereas a huge quilt is way beyond what I can handle. Also, the machines nowadays have the best stitches, and they really do a nice job of getting everything done. That's life, good and bad about any given thing. *sigh*

Found some blueberries in the freezer and made blueberry pie this afternoon. Enjoy!

exps145896_TH153342B03_13_5b.jpg

Finished 2 more tops and am working on a quilt as you go country lanes quitl. It takes 4 times as long to do the quilting as it does the blocks, but since you just quilt twelve-inch squares, they're small and manageable, whereas a huge quilt is way beyond what I can handle. Also, the machines nowadays have the best stitches, and they really do a nice job of getting everything done. That's life, good and bad about any given thing. *sigh*

Found some blueberries in the freezer and made blueberry pie this afternoon. Enjoy!

Oh my B. I'm sitting here trying to be really good and not indulge in what I shouldn't, and that looks sooooo good. i would have to justify it by how good blueberries are for us, i.e. the crown jewel of fruit when it comes to beneficial qualities.

Oh my B. I'm sitting here trying to be really good and not indulge in what I shouldn't, and that looks sooooo good. i would have to justify it by how good blueberries are for us, i.e. the crown jewel of fruit when it comes to beneficial qualities.
Didn't mean to hurt your diet, but blueberries, cranberries, raspberries, and blackberries have wonderful antioxidants in them that protect cells from free radicals. A cup of blueberries has 84 calories: 10 good health benefits of blueberries: 10 Proven Health Benefits of Blueberries. But today, I thought a supper of blueberry pie with reduced sugar would hit the spot. I too am trying to cut back on food, and should have just thawed the berries or made blueberry tea. It's all good!

Didn't mean to hurt your diet, but blueberries, cranberries, raspberries, and blackberries have wonderful antioxidants in them that protect cells from free radicals. A cup of blueberries has 84 calories: 10 good health benefits of blueberries: 10 Proven Health Benefits of Blueberries. But today, I thought a supper of blueberry pie with reduced sugar would hit the spot. I too am trying to cut back on food, and should have just thawed the berries or made blueberry tea. It's all good!

I grow blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and black currants. Black currants also have amazing health benefits but sadly the "forbidden fruit" got a bad rap years ago.

6 Health Benefits of Black Currant

I grow blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and black currants. Black currants also have amazing health benefits but sadly the "forbidden fruit" got a bad rap years ago.

Wow, Lumpy. Those benefits are terrific. From your link, I liked these advantages best:

Blackcurrant leaves also have a range of properties, including:
  • antimicrobial
  • anti-inflammatory
  • antiviral
  • antitoxic
  • antiseptic
  • anticancer
One study showed that blackcurrant supplements enhanced the immune response in people who exercised regularly. They could also train harder for longer periods of time. Another study of healthy older adults showed that blackcurrant seed oil boosted the immune system.​

Wow, Lumpy. Those benefits are terrific. From your link, I liked these advantages best:

• antimicrobial
  • anti-inflammatory
  • antiviral
  • antitoxic
  • antiseptic
  • anticancer
One study showed that blackcurrant supplements enhanced the immune response in people who exercised regularly. They could also train harder for longer periods of time. Another study of healthy older adults showed that blackcurrant seed oil boosted the immune system.​

They do make your mouth pucker especially if there not ripe enough but a juice blend with something sweet works out pretty well. Mom used to make butter tarts with them, heavenly.

• antimicrobial
  • anti-inflammatory
  • antiviral
  • antitoxic
  • antiseptic
  • anticancer

They do make your mouth pucker especially if there not ripe enough but a juice blend with something sweet works out pretty well. Mom used to make butter tarts with them, heavenly.
Make yer mouth pucker.....hmmm

Reading all the US snow reports, here's one from Great Britain. lol.

HOW CAN PEOPLE BE SO INCOMPETENT?

We had a blanket of snow last night. Predictably, not a piece of grit was to be found on the roads this morning.

I’d like to pay tribute to the heroes of the day – the delivery drivers, the supermarket staff, the packers and the builders and the shopkeepers. You are the real public servants, the backbone of the country. It’s you in the actual economy who keep everything going To the teachers and the civil servants, I hope you enjoyed your “snow day”.

It has now been snowing for 24 hours in my part of the country, something which the Met Office absolutely failed to predict. And of course Basingstoke Council hasn’t put down a grain of salt. So the roads are snow on ice all around, just as I had to drive down the M3 and through Basingstoke.

Forty miles of M3 is at a standstill while Basingstoke is gridlocked, mainly with 60K rear-wheel drive BMWs containing people who can’t in the snow, and gritters going nowhere. It’s taken me 6 hours to do 20 miles, thanks to the incompetent morons at Basingstoke Council and the climate change-obsessed Met Office, which cannot see a day of heavy snow coming over the horizon.

Outside of the private economy, this country is hopeless.

Posted in ATW

IMG-0018.jpg

IMG-0021.jpg

Do take whatever precautions you must because that is extremely dangerous cold. I read recently that we lose a lot more people to the cold than we do to extreme heat, or even gunfire.

As for you moving, I don't doubt that you are sincere. But I seem to recall you saying pretty much the same thing during the last polar vortex. But then it passed and spring came and you remembered all the great things about where you live. So we'll see. :)
I've definitely commented about moving several times. I have lived practically from coast to coast, and up north and down south, but I've been back here in Wisconsin from Phoenix and then Reno for about 12 years now, and as much as I do like Wisconsin, it is far more cool/cold here than warm/hot. Summer seems to just scream past and we're back to winter. Winter seems perpetual, the dominate season here. We get a cold Spring, a Summer that flashes by, and then right back to cool if not cold Fall, and... WINTER. It's wearing on me. Hard to say if I'll move again or not. What I might look into is going south for the winter like so many others do. I'm going to take a trip down south and do some scouting around and see if I can find a nice winter rental.

Some of us were studying the latitudes of the United States once, to see where they'd end up they went in a straight line east across the Atlantic. The end destinations were between the South of France and North Africa.

The US is a southern country.

Why so cold?

That's what the folks we call 'snowbirds' do. They enjoy their wonderful summer and fall in the north and then head south in their RVs or 5th wheels to Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tuscon, Las Cruces etc. where they spend the winter and early spring. Some do have arrangements for winter rentals.

We had some sub-zero days sometimes several days in a row in north central Kansas and that was miserable, but nothing like what you are experiencing in the upper midwest now. Nosmo's -7 f degrees would look like a heat wave to you folks in Wisconsin today.

Our really cold spell was short lived so that it is barely getting into freezing territory if at all overnight now and days are sunny and in the 40's and 50's. Everyone is concerned their daffodils and other early blooming plants will be fooled into making too early an appearance though we do expect crocuses by mid to late February.
Yup, I'd be a snowbird.

Heard this morning on our local news that the intense, extreme cold is going to have a positive effect, in that when it gets down to -30 and greater, that kills even insect eggs that are hibernating waiting for Spring, so that means LESS BUGS this year, and we could really use that after 3 winters that barely snowed and weren't cold at all. Having fewer mosquitoes and Box Elder bugs and those little Asian beetles is well worth putting up with a few days of blistering cold. I hibernated, never left the house, but it's time to get the hell otta here today and run some badly needed errands. Going to swing way back the other direction now and be over average temps way up in the 40's. Yep... good ole Wisconsin.

Glad you made it through the extreme cold. I hope it does not come to Britain. How are your water pipes?

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

I decided to eat better, low carb and gluten free. :thup:

AdNua7k.jpg

Reading all the US snow reports, here's one from Great Britain. lol.

HOW CAN PEOPLE BE SO INCOMPETENT?

We had a blanket of snow last night. Predictably, not a piece of grit was to be found on the roads this morning.

I’d like to pay tribute to the heroes of the day – the delivery drivers, the supermarket staff, the packers and the builders and the shopkeepers. You are the real public servants, the backbone of the country. It’s you in the actual economy who keep everything going To the teachers and the civil servants, I hope you enjoyed your “snow day”.

It has now been snowing for 24 hours in my part of the country, something which the Met Office absolutely failed to predict. And of course Basingstoke Council hasn’t put down a grain of salt. So the roads are snow on ice all around, just as I had to drive down the M3 and through Basingstoke.

Forty miles of M3 is at a standstill while Basingstoke is gridlocked, mainly with 60K rear-wheel drive BMWs containing people who can’t in the snow, and gritters going nowhere. It’s taken me 6 hours to do 20 miles, thanks to the incompetent morons at Basingstoke Council and the climate change-obsessed Met Office, which cannot see a day of heavy snow coming over the horizon.

Outside of the private economy, this country is hopeless.

Posted in ATW

:) Sometimes it helps to know there are screw ups pretty much everywhere to reassure us that our own country isn't hopeless. :)

Unrelated to weather, but I still remember when we lived up on the mountain, we lived 1/2 mile off a state highway called North 14, aka "The Turquoise Trail". It is a rural highway and from where it connects with Interstate 40, it is four lanes extending six miles north to the turnoff to the ski basin and from that point on is two lanes the rest of the way to Santa Fe. Because it is a trade and tourist route to the little villages along the route as well as the road to the ski basin, it gets a lot of traffic, and there is little or no median between the northbound and southbound lanes. So good striping designating lanes is pretty important.

Twice in the years we lived up there we nodded with approval when they put down bright new white and yellow striping to replace the worn and faded paint. And then one or two weeks later here they came to re top the surface and paved over the new paint. Just leaves you shaking your head as to who is in charge of these things.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back