USMB Coffee Shop IV

Hmmm. Who knew?

50086342_1408938132611415_5928907296464699392_n.jpg

I think I'm well situated geographically to go either east or west. Or straight down to North Africa and beyond. Driving around different countries is also good. For example, I'm an hour from the French border. And train travel is excellent. I met an American couple from Hawaii once, who were travelling around Europe on a Euro rail ticket. And thoroughly enjoying it.

When I lived in FRoG back in the mid to late 70's, I traved a whole ton on the Train... I was enamored of Europe... I visited 7 different Countries in 21/2 years... Seems to me that things have changed quite a bit and I probably would not meld in as well as I once did...

I think I'm well situated geographically to go either east or west. Or straight down to North Africa and beyond. Driving around different countries is also good. For example, I'm an hour from the French border. And train travel is excellent. I met an American couple from Hawaii once, who were travelling around Europe on a Euro rail ticket. And thoroughly enjoying it.

When I lived in FRoG back in the mid to late 70's, I traved a whole ton on the Train... I was enamored of Europe... I visited 7 different Countries in 21/2 years... Seems to me that things have changed quite a bit and I probably would not meld in as well as I once did...

Have you seen the riots in France?

Up here we're all wondering where Winter went off to, then we turn on the news. Guess the mid-west and eastern states are getting hammered. Some of us are amused that they are cancelling flights out of O'Hare because it's too cold for the crews to work outside. Really? I do recall one military exercise, though, during which a Canadian transport plane crashed because it was so cold (about -50F) that the instruments started failing. At least we learned how best to survive in the field in very adverse winter conditions. My team still ran some snare lines for rabbits and squirrels so we had some nice, hot soup...

Up here we're all wondering where Winter went off to, then we turn on the news. Guess the mid-west and eastern states are getting hammered. Some of us are amused that they are cancelling flights out of O'Hare because it's too cold for the crews to work outside. Really? I do recall one military exercise, though, during which a Canadian transport plane crashed because it was so cold (about -50F) that the instruments started failing. At least we learned how best to survive in the field in very adverse winter conditions. My team still ran some snare lines for rabbits and squirrels so we had some nice, hot soup...

Squirrel soup??

Well this is what I woke up to this morning... 36 BELOW...

IMG-0018.jpg

... and I've never seen it this cold in my life that I recall. I even had frost on the INSIDE of most of my windows...

IMG-0021.jpg

We set a new low, high temperature for the day yesterday at -10.

I'm very sick of it. It's cool/cold more of the year than not here, and I am not a cool/cold person. One more snap of this crap and I will be looking down in Florida for a new home. Of all the places south I've lived I like Florida the best. It's tropical and I love the beaches and all the water. I'd get me a nice boat if I moved back down there.

Last edited:

Squirrel soup??

Squirrel Soup
added by Stephanie Corbitt

zP4ecF2Piw0IcO-W81f-DKSEz2hq65F-W9rEicwYVtlxN0YLmJOFFU-_4cxcwuu3YI4ob66_T8D2ES7bZ3prkV415lGPTs0Dat8r1RMr=s42-p-l68
This is a family recipe. Please feel free to substitute with grocery store meat!

Cook time: 30 Min Prep time: 15 Min Serves: Big family
Ingredients
3-4 good sized squirrels
1 gal cold water
1 Tbsp salt
4-6 large irish potatoes
1/2 c corn
1/2 c lima beans
1/2 c any other summer veggie
1/2 stick butter rubbed in flour
1/2 c celery
1 bunch chopped parsley leaves
2 slice toast
Directions
1. Wash and quarter 3 or 4 good-sized squirrels. Put them in a gallon of cold water with a small tablespoonful of salt.
2. Cover the pot, and simmer gently, do not boil.
3. Add Irish potatoes, corn lima beans and other veggies.
4. Strain the soup through a coarse colander when the meat has boiled to shreds, so as to get rid of the squirrel’s troublesome little bones.
5. Return to the pot and bring to a boil. Thicken with a piece of butter rubbed in flour. Add celery and chopped parsley leaves.
6. Toast two slices of bread, cut them into dice one-half inch square, fry them in butter, put them into the bottom of your tureen, and then pour the soup boiling hot upon them.
Last Step: Don't forget to share!
Make all your friends drool by posting a picture of your finished recipe on your favorite social network. And don't forget to tag Just A Pinch and include #justapinchrecipes so we can see it too!

Rabbit Soup Recipe
Use the bones of 1 or more rabbits
1 to 2 quarts water
sliced carrots
chopped onions
pre-soaked lentils or split peas fresh or canned tomatoes
salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
a few pieces of suet or a little butter

(Note: The exact amounts of the above ingredients are purposely not specified, to allow you to vary them according to your preference or what you have on hand.) Boil the bones and water in a good-sized stock pot. Then remove the bones from the stock and scrape all the meat from them. Return the chunks of rabbit to the broth and add the carrots, onions, lentils or split peas, and tomatoes . . . plus any other vegetables you may wish to include in your soup. Season, add suet or butter, and simmer until the vegetables are tender.

Squirrel soup??

Squirrel Soup
added by Stephanie Corbitt

zP4ecF2Piw0IcO-W81f-DKSEz2hq65F-W9rEicwYVtlxN0YLmJOFFU-_4cxcwuu3YI4ob66_T8D2ES7bZ3prkV415lGPTs0Dat8r1RMr=s42-p-l68
This is a family recipe. Please feel free to substitute with grocery store meat!

Cook time: 30 Min Prep time: 15 Min Serves: Big family
Ingredients
3-4 good sized squirrels
1 gal cold water
1 Tbsp salt
4-6 large irish potatoes
1/2 c corn
1/2 c lima beans
1/2 c any other summer veggie
1/2 stick butter rubbed in flour
1/2 c celery
1 bunch chopped parsley leaves
2 slice toast
Directions
1. Wash and quarter 3 or 4 good-sized squirrels. Put them in a gallon of cold water with a small tablespoonful of salt.
2. Cover the pot, and simmer gently, do not boil.
3. Add Irish potatoes, corn lima beans and other veggies.
4. Strain the soup through a coarse colander when the meat has boiled to shreds, so as to get rid of the squirrel’s troublesome little bones.
5. Return to the pot and bring to a boil. Thicken with a piece of butter rubbed in flour. Add celery and chopped parsley leaves.
6. Toast two slices of bread, cut them into dice one-half inch square, fry them in butter, put them into the bottom of your tureen, and then pour the soup boiling hot upon them.
Last Step: Don't forget to share!
Make all your friends drool by posting a picture of your finished recipe on your favorite social network. And don't forget to tag Just A Pinch and include #justapinchrecipes so we can see it too!

Rabbit Soup Recipe
Use the bones of 1 or more rabbits
1 to 2 quarts water
sliced carrots
chopped onions
pre-soaked lentils or split peas fresh or canned tomatoes
salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
a few pieces of suet or a little butter

(Note: The exact amounts of the above ingredients are purposely not specified, to allow you to vary them according to your preference or what you have on hand.) Boil the bones and water in a good-sized stock pot. Then remove the bones from the stock and scrape all the meat from them. Return the chunks of rabbit to the broth and add the carrots, onions, lentils or split peas, and tomatoes . . . plus any other vegetables you may wish to include in your soup. Season, add suet or butter, and simmer until the vegetables are tender.

How could you?

:crybaby:

IMG-0018.jpg

... and I've never seen it this cold in my life that I recall. I even had frost on the INSIDE of most of my windows...

IMG-0021.jpg

I'm very sick of it. It's cool/cold more of the year than not here, and I am not a cool/cold person. One more snap of this crap and I will be looking down in Florida for a new home. Of all the places south I've lived I like Florida the best. It's tropical and I love the beaches and all the water. I'd get me a nice boat if I moved back down there.

IMG-0018.jpg

IMG-0021.jpg

That is pretty harsh. I couldn't imagine living in FL, though. I guess I'm just built for the cold winter with a cooler summer. 70F is just about as hot as I want to deal with.

Squirrel soup??

Never had it though the concept is somewhat more appealing than possum stew.

Squirrel soup??

Never had it though the concept is somewhat more appealing than possum stew.

I'll never forget the first time I saw a possum. I was so excited, the whole household couldn't understand it.

Never dismiss a childlike delight in seeing something wondrous and new.

IMG-0018.jpg

IMG-0021.jpg

Do take whatever precautions you must because that is extremely dangerous cold. I read recently that we lose a lot more people to the cold than we do to extreme heat, or even gunfire.

As for you moving, I don't doubt that you are sincere. But I seem to recall you saying pretty much the same thing during the last polar vortex. But then it passed and spring came and you remembered all the great things about where you live. So we'll see. :)

Forum List

Back