USMB Coffee Shop IV

So far this week I have managed to have a birthday with whatever shreads of dignity I have left. We had stuffed pork chops at the Big House with Mom and my brother and siste-in-law.

Then we held our breath for and leaned our backs against the devilish cold that settled in yesterday. Movie night was canceled. Our exile was imposed by -7 degrees. Very little snow came in with the cold, as cold air can carry less moisture. But the gas logs in the fireplace have been burning non-stop. Daisy the Mutt (who celebrated her tenth birthday last Tuesday) is content to lay on the hearth until she sweats poodle gravy. She will go outside for about two minutes before she invokes her special 'let me in!' bark.

We've dined on all manner of comfort food since Tuesday's pork chops. I have to dash down to the supermarket to refill our supply of orange juice and English muffins. It's still nostril freezing cold, but by Wednesday it's supposed to be in the mid fifties with rain.

Ah! January in the upper Ohio River valley! This is what separates the weak from the strong, the wheat from the chaf, the man from the boy, the rational from the insane.

So far this week I have managed to have a birthday with whatever shreads of dignity I have left. We had stuffed pork chops at the Big House with Mom and my brother and siste-in-law.

Then we held our breath for and leaned our backs against the devilish cold that settled in yesterday. Movie night was canceled. Our exile was imposed by -7 degrees. Very little snow came in with the cold, as cold air can carry less moisture. But the gas logs in the fireplace have been burning non-stop. Daisy the Mutt (who celebrated her tenth birthday last Tuesday) is content to lay on the hearth until she sweats poodle gravy. She will go outside for about two minutes before she invokes her special 'let me in!' bark.

We've dined on all manner of comfort food since Tuesday's pork chops. I have to dash down to the supermarket to refill our supply of orange juice and English muffins. It's still nostril freezing cold, but by Wednesday it's supposed to be in the mid fifties with rain.

Ah! January in the upper Ohio River valley! This is what separates the weak from the strong, the wheat from the chaf, the man from the boy, the rational from the insane.
We held a mock Civil War battle up in the mountains of West Virginia during a weekend blizzard once, snow everywhere and wind chills into the minus teens. There was a ranch house (drafty shack) to sleep in with a single large wood stove which barely made a dent in the cold. I was surprised at how warm my canvas poncho kept me with my union suit and woolies on underneath of course, the wind just didn't penetrate that canvas.

Well this is what I woke up to this morning... 36 BELOW...

IMG-0018.jpg

... and I've never seen it this cold in my life that I recall. I even had frost on the INSIDE of most of my windows...

IMG-0021.jpg

We set a new low, high temperature for the day yesterday at -10.

I'm very sick of it. It's cool/cold more of the year than not here, and I am not a cool/cold person. One more snap of this crap and I will be looking down in Florida for a new home. Of all the places south I've lived I like Florida the best. It's tropical and I love the beaches and all the water. I'd get me a nice boat if I moved back down there.

Do take whatever precautions you must because that is extremely dangerous cold. I read recently that we lose a lot more people to the cold than we do to extreme heat, or even gunfire.

As for you moving, I don't doubt that you are sincere. But I seem to recall you saying pretty much the same thing during the last polar vortex. But then it passed and spring came and you remembered all the great things about where you live. So we'll see. :)
I've definitely commented about moving several times. I have lived practically from coast to coast, and up north and down south, but I've been back here in Wisconsin from Phoenix and then Reno for about 12 years now, and as much as I do like Wisconsin, it is far more cool/cold here than warm/hot. Summer seems to just scream past and we're back to winter. Winter seems perpetual, the dominate season here. We get a cold Spring, a Summer that flashes by, and then right back to cool if not cold Fall, and... WINTER. It's wearing on me. Hard to say if I'll move again or not. What I might look into is going south for the winter like so many others do. I'm going to take a trip down south and do some scouting around and see if I can find a nice winter rental.

IMG-0018.jpg

... and I've never seen it this cold in my life that I recall. I even had frost on the INSIDE of most of my windows...

IMG-0021.jpg

I'm very sick of it. It's cool/cold more of the year than not here, and I am not a cool/cold person. One more snap of this crap and I will be looking down in Florida for a new home. Of all the places south I've lived I like Florida the best. It's tropical and I love the beaches and all the water. I'd get me a nice boat if I moved back down there.

Do take whatever precautions you must because that is extremely dangerous cold. I read recently that we lose a lot more people to the cold than we do to extreme heat, or even gunfire.

As for you moving, I don't doubt that you are sincere. But I seem to recall you saying pretty much the same thing during the last polar vortex. But then it passed and spring came and you remembered all the great things about where you live. So we'll see. :)
I've definitely commented about moving several times. I have lived practically from coast to coast, and up north and down south, but I've been back here in Wisconsin from Phoenix and then Reno for about 12 years now, and as much as I do like Wisconsin, it is far more cool/cold here than warm/hot. Summer seems to just scream past and we're back to winter. Winter seems perpetual, the dominate season here. We get a cold Spring, a Summer that flashes by, and then right back to cool if not cold Fall, and... WINTER. It's wearing on me. Hard to say if I'll move again or not. What I might look into is going south for the winter like so many others do. I'm going to take a trip down south and do some scouting around and see if I can find a nice winter rental.

Some of us were studying the latitudes of the United States once, to see where they'd end up they went in a straight line east across the Atlantic. The end destinations were between the South of France and North Africa.

The US is a southern country.

Why so cold?

IMG-0018.jpg

IMG-0021.jpg

Some of us were studying the latitudes of the United States once, to see where they'd end up they went in a straight line east across the Atlantic. The end destinations were between the South of France and North Africa.

Why so cold?
Well, from what I know, the earth's axis isn't straight up and down in relation to the sun, it rotates on a tilt, it even wobbles because of the Moon's gravitational pull, but what is southern as far as exposure to the sun in relation to the lines of latitude is going to be northern exposure to the sun on the other side of the earth.

IMG-0018.jpg

IMG-0021.jpg

Why so cold?
Well, from what I know, the earth's axis isn't straight up and down in relation to the sun, it rotates on a tilt, it even wobbles because of the Moon's gravitational pull, but what is southern as far as exposure to the sun in relation to the lines of latitude is going to be northern exposure to the sun on the other side of the earth.

I see your point.

But then there's the intense heat in the summer.

I remember walking around Pittsburgh, and I couldn't stand it.

IMG-0018.jpg

IMG-0021.jpg

Why so cold?

That's what the folks we call 'snowbirds' do. They enjoy their wonderful summer and fall in the north and then head south in their RVs or 5th wheels to Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tuscon, Las Cruces etc. where they spend the winter and early spring. Some do have arrangements for winter rentals.

We had some sub-zero days sometimes several days in a row in north central Kansas and that was miserable, but nothing like what you are experiencing in the upper midwest now. Nosmo's -7 f degrees would look like a heat wave to you folks in Wisconsin today.

Our really cold spell was short lived so that it is barely getting into freezing territory if at all overnight now and days are sunny and in the 40's and 50's. Everyone is concerned their daffodils and other early blooming plants will be fooled into making too early an appearance though we do expect crocuses by mid to late February.

Last edited:

IMG-0018.jpg

IMG-0021.jpg

Why so cold?

That's what the folks we call 'snowbirds' do. They enjoy their wonderful summer and fall in the north and then head south in their RVs or 5th wheels to Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tuscon, Las Cruces etc. Some do have arrangements for winter rentals.

We had some sub-zero days sometimes several days in a row in north central Kansas and that was miserable, but nothing like what you are experiencing in the upper midwest now. Nosmo's -7 f degrees would look like a heat wave to you folks in Wisconsin today.
It was -7 on the dashboard thermometer but that didn’t take into account the 30 mph wind!

IMG-0018.jpg

IMG-0021.jpg

Why so cold?

I see your point.

The eastern states tend to be quite humid making it feel hotter, the southwestern states are just hot and dry except during monsoon season then there's humidity to deal with but not as bad as back east.

Why so cold?

I see your point.

The eastern states tend to be quite humid making it feel hotter, the southwestern states are just hot and dry except during monsoon season then there's humidity to deal with but not as bad as back east.

The humidity's a killer.

Though we get it here in Europe during the summer, when you can hardly drag yourself around.

Why so cold?

I see your point.

The humidity's a killer.

Though we get it here in Europe during the summer, when you can hardly drag yourself around.
Out here it's just the flesh melting, bone bleaching heat that gets ya....... :lol:

Why so cold?

I see your point.

The humidity's a killer.

That is one thing about our high desert and river country here in New Mexico. Even the high alpine areas don't get prolonged dangerous cold though I believe the state record for a coldest temperature on record was a -66f degrees at Angel Fire in northern New Mexico, though many of us think that was probably a malfunction or misread. And the high desert and river country in New Mexico enjoys relatively mild winters and hot but bearable summers. We can have humidity at 60-70% when it is raining buckets and it is usually below 50% and quite comfortable even in the monsoon season. Hovers in the 10-20% range in the non monsoon months. 90 and 100% humidity that was common in a Kansas summer is really really rare here.

The sun is fierce, intense, and unrelenting on hot summer days, but stay in the shade and if there is just a slight breeze, which there usually is, you can be very comfortable in most places in the state. It almost always cools down to comfortable 60's overnight making for good sleeping.

Last edited:

IMG-0018.jpg

IMG-0021.jpg

IMG-0018.jpg

IMG-0021.jpg

That is pretty harsh. I couldn't imagine living in FL, though. I guess I'm just built for the cold winter with a cooler summer. 70F is just about as hot as I want to deal with.

70 degrees in Florida is jacket temperature. :lol:

IMG-0018.jpg

IMG-0021.jpg

Why so cold?

I see your point.

In my youth there were plenty of reasons walking in Pittsburgh was an unpleasant experi ice.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

Why so cold?

I see your point.

In my youth there were plenty of reasons walking in Pittsburgh was an unpleasant experi ice.

I thought it was very nice. No trace of the coal mining past.

Why so cold?

I see your point.

Sure, pal was mined around here. But we converted that coal to come and melted scrap iron, iron ore and limestone to make steel.

It was not unusual to see snowflakes the color of rust. I remember Mom wiping soot from my nose and the sun darkened by smoke.

Why so cold?

I see your point.

Sure, pal was mined around here. But we converted that coal to come and melted scrap iron, iron ore and limestone to make steel.

It was not unusual to see snowflakes the color of rust. I remember Mom wiping soot from my nose and the sun darkened by smoke.

They cleaned it up a lot since then.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Saveliberty's mom for successful surgery and quick healing
TheLiq and family who need prayers and positive vibes now
Drifter's friend's mother now homeless
Montrovant in difficult transition
Drifter for smooth sailing in her new job.

JustAnotherNut for strength and wisdom dealing with challenges.
Beautress's friend EJ undergoing chemo.
Gracie & Mr. G for positive trend to continue.
Ringel and Mrs. R facing serious health challenges with resulting financial challenges.
GallantWarrior for healing and wellness.
Thanksgiving for Nosmo's mom.
All those we love and care about who aren't on the list.

And we keep the porch light on so those who have been away can find their way back and we rejoice when they do!!!

235034-Goodbye-January-Hello-February-Gif.gif

IMG-0018.jpg

IMG-0021.jpg

Why so cold?

That's what the folks we call 'snowbirds' do. They enjoy their wonderful summer and fall in the north and then head south in their RVs or 5th wheels to Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tuscon, Las Cruces etc. where they spend the winter and early spring. Some do have arrangements for winter rentals.

Our really cold spell was short lived so that it is barely getting into freezing territory if at all overnight now and days are sunny and in the 40's and 50's. Everyone is concerned their daffodils and other early blooming plants will be fooled into making too early an appearance though we do expect crocuses by mid to late February.
Yup, I'd be a snowbird.

Heard this morning on our local news that the intense, extreme cold is going to have a positive effect, in that when it gets down to -30 and greater, that kills even insect eggs that are hibernating waiting for Spring, so that means LESS BUGS this year, and we could really use that after 3 winters that barely snowed and weren't cold at all. Having fewer mosquitoes and Box Elder bugs and those little Asian beetles is well worth putting up with a few days of blistering cold. I hibernated, never left the house, but it's time to get the hell otta here today and run some badly needed errands. Going to swing way back the other direction now and be over average temps way up in the 40's. Yep... good ole Wisconsin.

Forum List

Back