USMB Coffee Shop IV

There is no place on the planet I think that has worse mosquitos than Minnesota. I mean they came in clouds, were huge, and they stung like bees. Somebody suggested the mosquito was the Minnesota state bird.

I am happy here on the high desert where we can leave our doors wide open to the world and rarely get a fly in the house, and never a mosquito.

How is it for spiders & snakes??

Speaking of...skeeters are BAD here. Probably due to being surrounded by rivers, lakes and ponds. It sucks. I have experienced skeeters in the house before but according to everyone else around here..they are suffering the same thing. The locals say its bad this year and should be still too cold for them but I guess the skeeters haven't been told that. And as one ages, they get new allergies they never had before. I get bit now..I swell up like a balloon. :(
And I thought we had the most vicious skeeters....
This is the one that lasts longest for me in skeeter weather:
th

We used to do Civil War living histories at Evelynton Plantation on the James River, the skeeters there could bite through your wool clothing........
I believe that. The worst mosquitos I ever encountered were at the Natrona County Airport in Casper, Wyoming. They looked ordinary enough, but their venom was so potent the pain could last for a couple of days, complete with virulent itching of a fresh bite. Baaaaaaaad! You just learned to use repellant before going on a flight out of Casper, or pay the price, especially if you got one of the walk-out-to-the-plane-ramp flights. Little demons.

Since the skeeters around here give me a huge purple welt when bitten, I don't think I'd want to go to Casper. Though years ago we did drive I-90 to Montana, then dropped down to Yellowstone and didn't have much of a problem...but that wasn't Casper or even near.

Speaking of...skeeters are BAD here. Probably due to being surrounded by rivers, lakes and ponds. It sucks. I have experienced skeeters in the house before but according to everyone else around here..they are suffering the same thing. The locals say its bad this year and should be still too cold for them but I guess the skeeters haven't been told that. And as one ages, they get new allergies they never had before. I get bit now..I swell up like a balloon. :(
th

We used to do Civil War living histories at Evelynton Plantation on the James River, the skeeters there could bite through your wool clothing........

Been to Evelynton many times. A beautiful place. For anyone going through Virginia I highly recommend visiting Westover, Berkeley, and Shirley Plantations as well as Evelynton. All are within 5 miles of each other and right on the James River. This is truly where America began. Berkeley as an example was founded in 1609. Westover house is one of the oldest original houses in America. 40 miles down the James River Road are Jamestown, Williamsburg and the Colonial Parkway.

Westover

general03.jpg

Berkeley

main-home.jpg

Shirley

33bf2f30a1cb45f76006d3ff1ed350d6_large.jpg

Evelynton

1200px-EVELYN.jpg

Colonial Parkway

HR11110405V_047.jpg

Last edited:
AND...….it has since started snowing again, for the 3rd time this week. Should be off & on for another couple of days. The most snow we've had in 70 years and going for a record......we'll see how much we end up with when it's all over

Waiting on the correct 55-300mm lens and a wide angle lens to arrive. When it does I hope to get a couple of road trips in to take pictures from places I've already set my sights on.

I have very sad news. My mom passed away over the weekend. It's so hard to believe she is gone.
Boedicca, prayers up for you and your extended family who were blessed by your mother's wonderful life. So sorry for your loss. :huddle:

Thank you very much. I keep reminding myself how fortunate I am to have had two such wonderful parents.

Hi fellows, wazzup, say me something positive :)

And be like proton! Proton is small but always positive! :)
It's been colder in Chicago than it has been here?! That's a positive for Alaskans.
How have you been doing, Sbiker?

I'm fine, but always "in a soapsuds" - performing a lot of tasks :) It may be hard, but it produce a lot of memories, I could remember later :)

Life is a flow, silence is death :)

There is no place on the planet I think that has worse mosquitos than Minnesota. I mean they came in clouds, were huge, and they stung like bees. Somebody suggested the mosquito was the Minnesota state bird.

I am happy here on the high desert where we can leave our doors wide open to the world and rarely get a fly in the house, and never a mosquito.

How is it for spiders & snakes??

Snakes aren't much of a problem in the city. Probably because we have so many roadrunners. We do have spiders but they aren't any more of a big deal than they are anywhere else. Albuquerque does seem to have a plethora of ants of all sorts and sizes except we've never had carpenter ants or fire ants thank goodness.

I keep reminding myself how fortunate I am to have had two such wonderful parents.

If you are one of the lucky ones and draw a good pair, Parents will give you the closest thing to unconditional love an individual could ever ask for... Other loving relationships often come with conditions and we know how that often works out...

boe sounds as if you have been blessed...

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys No change in the vigil list.

There really is such a thing as too much snow.
_87867624_dc_gaholder81.jpg

Last edited:
Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys No change in the vigil list.

There really is such a thing as too much snow.
_87867624_dc_gaholder81.jpg

I don't know about you folks but I am going down to the Federal Building first thing in the morning and apply for Natural Disaster Aid... The low last night was 63 here where I live... :laughing0301:

Hawaii recorded what may be the lowest elevation snow in state history

Rain, wind and even snow impact neighbor islands

Oh you are cruel RR. 63 is pretty chilly for you guys yes? It would be for us in the summertime when we lived in west Texas, in Kansas, and now in New Mexico. 60's feel pretty warm in the winter though and it is tempting to go without a jacket. It's all relative.

However if that snow keeps progressing down your mountains in the winter, maybe you'll be treated to some of that pesky snow in Honolulu too. :)

th

I can't use deet. Makes me swell up like a sausage. I eat lots of garlic, though.

What a miserable week. I fell Friday morning, caught my back on the door frame of the truck. I thought I just knocked the wind out but when I got ready for work Friday night, I could barely move. Hurt so damned bad, I took Saturday night off from work. So, I've wasted most of my weekend laid up. I finally got up and about today, but I have to be super careful how I move. The pain was so bad, I broke down and got some CBD laced coffee. Shit just screwed me up, totally. I didn't really mind the pain so much, though.

What a miserable week. I fell Friday morning, caught my back on the door frame of the truck. I thought I just knocked the wind out but when I got ready for work Friday night, I could barely move. Hurt so damned bad, I took Saturday night off from work. So, I've wasted most of my weekend laid up. I finally got up and about today, but I have to be super careful how I move. The pain was so bad, I broke down and got some CBD laced coffee. Shit just screwed me up, totally. I didn't really mind the pain so much, though.

Going to the doctor is not an option for you? I would guess some seriously bruised, cracked, or broken ribs. Not that the doc will do much for you other than possibly some pain relief but you would have the assurance that it was nothing permanent or terribly serious. Will send some prayers/positive vibes your way though.

Going to the doctor is not an option for you? I would guess some seriously bruised, cracked, or broken ribs. Not that the doc will do much for you other than possibly some pain relief but you would have the assurance that it was nothing permanent or terribly serious. Will send some prayers/positive vibes your way though.
I've been applying hot and cold compresses and keeping as still as possible. Feeling loads better today although it feels like the back wants to lock up when I turn a certain way.

Forum List

Back