USMB Coffee Shop IV

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys. No change in the vigil list.

Here we have folks walking down the stairs at Machu Picchu. I don't think I could do that. Could you?

51847140_2174679679490431_6871893836184944640_n.jpg

EEEEEEEEKKKKKKK!!!!!!!

ostrich-head-in-sand.jpg

Okay boys and girls, for our periodic math test:

52863973_1433788556793039_3502080255433113600_n.jpg
I got 17 because 3x10= 30; 10 +2x=20; 10 - 2x = 5; = 10, 2x=10, therefore x has to be 5: and 5 + 2y=9, there fore, y=2
Finally, 5 + 2 + 10 = 17.

I accidentally answered a post by Ernie S on Wild Side Ornithology Club, and even more accidentally answered it. Wild Side Ornithology Club Then I saw the date his post was made in 2012 Went to his profile page and found his last post was made at least a year ago, maybe more. What happened to Ernie S? Anybody know?

I don't know why Ernie left us and figure he just got busy with other stuff. But like others, including yourself, I hope one day he'll think about us an check in. It is all those folks we have enjoyed over the years that we keep the porch light on for. :)

On the math question I don't know what the expected answer is, but I got 5 + 1 x 10 could be 15 or 60.

I got 17 because 3x10= 30; 10 +2x=20; 10 - 2x = 5; = 10, 2x=10, therefore x has to be 5: and 5 + 2y=9, there fore, y=2

I accidentally answered a post by Ernie S on Wild Side Ornithology Club, and even more accidentally answered it. Wild Side Ornithology Club Then I saw the date his post was made in 2012 Went to his profile page and found his last post was made at least a year ago, maybe more. What happened to Ernie S? Anybody know?

I don't know why Ernie left us and figure he just got busy with other stuff. But like others, including yourself, I hope one day he'll think about us an check in. It is all those folks we have enjoyed over the years that we keep the porch light on for. :)

On the math question I don't know what the expected answer is, but I got 5 + 1 x 10 could be 15 or 60.
You're right! I missed the x sign on the last row. Duhhh!!! lol

Well, Montro, you're not the only one who's killed a dog this week. Your circumstances were a bit different.
I got home this afternoon and noticed lots of tracks all over the yard and drive. After I discovered a moose eating my hay bales, I thought that was the reason for the tracks. Until I went out for wood a while ago.
As I stepped out the door, a dog with a chicken in its mouth dashed by. I yelled and told her to drop it. Pip dropped the chicken and ran back to her pen. Pip is my Great Pyrenees puppy (1.5 yrs old). The snow has gotten so deep that fences mean nothing. She apparently got over her fence and discovered the chickens and turkeys. Head count revealed the rooster and one hen made it to their coop. Two other hens and a turkey hen were huddled in their shelter. The chicken Pip had is half plucked and shell-shocked. I'm not sure she'll make it. The tom turkey and two turkey hens are missing.
An unfortunate fact of farm life is a dog that kills livestock is not tolerated. I found myself in the sad and hard position of becoming judge, jury, and executioner for an otherwise friendly and nice dog. It's still snowing so hard that she's half an hour later nothing more than a mound in the snow. I am heartbroken. She was a nice dog with a lot of promise...except she liked tearing up the other animals.

You're right! I missed the x sign on the last row. Duhhh!!! lol
Oooh! Me too!

Well, Montro, you're not the only one who's killed a dog this week. Your circumstances were a bit different.
I got home this afternoon and noticed lots of tracks all over the yard and drive. After I discovered a moose eating my hay bales, I thought that was the reason for the tracks. Until I went out for wood a while ago.
As I stepped out the door, a dog with a chicken in its mouth dashed by. I yelled and told her to drop it. Pip dropped the chicken and ran back to her pen. Pip is my Great Pyrenees puppy (1.5 yrs old). The snow has gotten so deep that fences mean nothing. She apparently got over her fence and discovered the chickens and turkeys. Head count revealed the rooster and one hen made it to their coop. Two other hens and a turkey hen were huddled in their shelter. The chicken Pip had is half plucked and shell-shocked. I'm not sure she'll make it. The tom turkey and two turkey hens are missing.
An unfortunate fact of farm life is a dog that kills livestock is not tolerated. I found myself in the sad and hard position of becoming judge, jury, and executioner for an otherwise friendly and nice dog. It's still snowing so hard that she's half an hour later nothing more than a mound in the snow. I am heartbroken. She was a nice dog with a lot of promise...except she liked tearing up the other animals.
You did the right thing, Gallantwarrior. I had to put down Ms. Music for biting so hard it caused swelling in the hand she bit to double the size of my hand. The image I had in my mind was her biting one of my friends who got a similar swell that resulted in a blood clot that went to the head and killed them. I couldn't shake the image so I called the Sheriff and told him my tale o' woe. He said can't your husband take care of it, I responded he had died, so the sheriff told me to take the dog to the vet. I did, but out of respect for the wonderful dog she had always been before dementia kicked in, I asked them to let me have her ashes. I still haven't distributed them out in the lake, where she loved to go and splash around in the summer. She was attached equally to me and my husband, but he died, my sister died, and the nephew died, and she hated the new cat. I beat myself up for a few months over it, but when I got a new computer, I went online and probed websites that specialize on telling various problems humans and animals had, and learned that I did exactly the right thing. You did too. Do me a favor and don't beat yourself up even once for doing what you had to do. You can't discipline a dog that severely bites you on the hand or kills livestock. Once they go there, according to my source, they have a tendency to repeat the behavior. A year later, I'm having severe swelling in my feet. Hope it's not related to the dogbite I suffered. It took a month to get the swelling on the hand half way down, but it was gone in 2 months. The animal was checked at the veterinarian's for rabies. he said she didn't have rabies. I'm thinking due to her age, she got a case of dementia or something like it. Be strong if you can, Gallantwarrior. There are a couple of good types of dogs to run on farms and ranches, and some specialize in livestock near the artic circle. Getting the right breed of dog may be your ticket. Found some here: The 20 Best Cold-Weather Dog Breeds Hope that helps ya.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys. No change in the vigil list.

Here we have folks walking down the stairs at Machu Picchu. I don't think I could do that. Could you?

51847140_2174679679490431_6871893836184944640_n.jpg
Twenty, thirty years ago no problem, I've climbed steeper cliffs than that. Now a days my knees couldn't take it and I'd probably have a heart attack trying considering how out of shape I am now.

Sorry GW. That had to be really hard. :(

You did the right thing, Gallantwarrior. I had to put down Ms. Music for biting so hard it caused swelling in the hand she bit to double the size of my hand. The image I had in my mind was her biting one of my friends who got a similar swell that resulted in a blood clot that went to the head and killed them. I couldn't shake the image so I called the Sheriff and told him my tale o' woe. He said can't your husband take care of it, I responded he had died, so the sheriff told me to take the dog to the vet. I did, but out of respect for the wonderful dog she had always been before dementia kicked in, I asked them to let me have her ashes. I still haven't distributed them out in the lake, where she loved to go and splash around in the summer. She was attached equally to me and my husband, but he died, my sister died, and the nephew died, and she hated the new cat. I beat myself up for a few months over it, but when I got a new computer, I went online and probed websites that specialize on telling various problems humans and animals had, and learned that I did exactly the right thing. You did too. Do me a favor and don't beat yourself up even once for doing what you had to do. You can't discipline a dog that severely bites you on the hand or kills livestock. Once they go there, according to my source, they have a tendency to repeat the behavior. A year later, I'm having severe swelling in my feet. Hope it's not related to the dogbite I suffered. It took a month to get the swelling on the hand half way down, but it was gone in 2 months. The animal was checked at the veterinarian's for rabies. he said she didn't have rabies. I'm thinking due to her age, she got a case of dementia or something like it. Be strong if you can, Gallantwarrior. There are a couple of good types of dogs to run on farms and ranches, and some specialize in livestock near the artic circle. Getting the right breed of dog may be your ticket. Found some here: The 20 Best Cold-Weather Dog Breeds Hope that helps ya.
Thank you for the article, Beau. Of that list, two are actually livestock guardian dogs, the Anatolian Shepard and the Great Pyrenees. This pup was a Pyr, born on a farm, too! My partner wanted to know why I decided to do what I did instead of trying to re-home her. How am I supposed to restrain a dog that even chewed through a steel cable? This pup was a very dynamic chewer. She was in her own pen because she had chewed one of the goat's horns to almost bloody nubs. I could not in good conscience pass a farm dog off to someone who might trust her to do her job. But young dogs will eventually outgrow chewing behavior. I had hopes. But now I have three heritage breed turkeys missing, including the tom. Not a sign of them, but it has been snowing so much the last two days, I doubt I'll find anything until breakup now. Sadly, you are correct about livestock killers.
Two months seems like a long time for swelling like that. Animal bites are particularly nasty, though. After one of my cats got out and in a fight, I found him hunched in a bunch of grass. When I went to pick him up, he panicked and bite me. It didn't take long for the infection to set in, maybe half an hour. I applied a hot plantain leaf poultice and it drew the infection quickly. I took Morty to the vet for a bad systemic infection and the vet gave me hell for not seeing a doctor about the bite. Of course, Morty bit because he was sick and frightened (inside cat got outside), so I saw no reason to destroy him. He lived many years longer and was a wonderful companion.
Plus, herbal and natural remedies can be very helpful. That poultice was fast and effective. And plantain leaves grow just about everywhere.
th9EXWME9J.jpg

I now have a resident moose. She's been camping right next to the hay stack. It's a young cow, born in 1918 and I haven't seen any sign of momma, so she might be an orphan old enough to find food on her own. Still, she's as tall at the shoulder as a small horse. I went out last night to turn off the generator around midnight and she didn't get up out of my path until I was close enough to touch her.
The first picture she's standing next to my front porch (notice the snow on the roof), the second picture she's standing in front of a 5' stack of hay with about 12" of snow on top. And this is a moose that was probably born last May!
IMG_0275 (2).JPG
IMG_0270 (2).JPG

Thank you for the article, Beau. Of that list, two are actually livestock guardian dogs, the Anatolian Shepard and the Great Pyrenees. This pup was a Pyr, born on a farm, too! My partner wanted to know why I decided to do what I did instead of trying to re-home her. How am I supposed to restrain a dog that even chewed through a steel cable? This pup was a very dynamic chewer. She was in her own pen because she had chewed one of the goat's horns to almost bloody nubs. I could not in good conscience pass a farm dog off to someone who might trust her to do her job. But young dogs will eventually outgrow chewing behavior. I had hopes. But now I have three heritage breed turkeys missing, including the tom. Not a sign of them, but it has been snowing so much the last two days, I doubt I'll find anything until breakup now. Sadly, you are correct about livestock killers.
Two months seems like a long time for swelling like that. Animal bites are particularly nasty, though. After one of my cats got out and in a fight, I found him hunched in a bunch of grass. When I went to pick him up, he panicked and bite me. It didn't take long for the infection to set in, maybe half an hour. I applied a hot plantain leaf poultice and it drew the infection quickly. I took Morty to the vet for a bad systemic infection and the vet gave me hell for not seeing a doctor about the bite. Of course, Morty bit because he was sick and frightened (inside cat got outside), so I saw no reason to destroy him. He lived many years longer and was a wonderful companion.
Plus, herbal and natural remedies can be very helpful. That poultice was fast and effective. And plantain leaves grow just about everywhere.
View attachment 246526
Your infection took half an hour. My swelling after her bite was instant. Her bite was odd. She went all the way across the top of my had with rapid, multiple bites, delivered with machine gun precision, and she must've tapped into my lymph system which had an instant response of doubling by the time I came out of my little case of shock and looked down and saw the huge swelling. The vet didn't know what I was talking about until I showed him my hand. There was no blood or oozing outs. Just swelling.

I now have a resident moose. She's been camping right next to the hay stack. It's a young cow, born in 1918 and I haven't seen any sign of momma, so she might be an orphan old enough to find food on her own. Still, she's as tall at the shoulder as a small horse. I went out last night to turn off the generator around midnight and she didn't get up out of my path until I was close enough to touch her.
The first picture she's standing next to my front porch (notice the snow on the roof), the second picture she's standing in front of a 5' stack of hay with about 12" of snow on top. And this is a moose that was probably born last May!
View attachment 246527 View attachment 246529

Wow. That is major league snow. I'm sure you meant the moose was born in 2018. If she was born in 1918 I would expect her to be much bigger. :) Is a moose a danger to your livestock or dogs? I have heard of them attacking Iditarod teams.

Adorable, gallantwarrior.

Adorable, gallantwarrior.
She loves how you love your animals.

Well we are passed St. Valentine's Day. Pitchers and catchers report to Spring Trainimg this week. Notices of the rehearsal schedule for the Easter Pageant on the Hillside have been sent. So, all in all, I believe we have turned the corner on this winter.

Mom had her 85th birthday last week. Daisy the Mutt had her 10th birthday back on the 22nd of January and yours truly celebrated another trip around the sun as a human being on the 29th. And so our Days of Cake have drawn to a close until July when my kid brother tuns 59.

Back when he was only 7 he was pressed not Service by Mom and her Quota Club buddies to appear in a fashion show. A dozen beautiful toe headed kids strutted their stuff for scores of adoring mothers.

My brother's garment was a camel hair navy "P" coat, the kind that buttoned up by way of little rope eyelets and wooden pegs. This was beyond the dexterity of my baby brother. His assignment was to walk down the catwalk, turn, stop, unfasten the pegs from the eyelets and show the red satin lining. The pegs were a bridge too far for a nervous sv n year old.

After fumbling with the fasteners, he did what any self respecting kid might do. He simply lifter the hm of his jacket above his chest and completed his mission.

I write about this today, nearly 55 years after the fact because he showed me his new jacket. A camel hair navy "P" coat with little rope eyelets and clumsy wooden pegs.

Well we are passed St. Valentine's Day. Pitchers and catchers report to Spring Trainimg this week. Notices of the rehearsal schedule for the Easter Pageant on the Hillside have been sent. So, all in all, I believe we have turned the corner on this winter.

Mom had her 85th birthday last week. Daisy the Mutt had her 10th birthday back on the 22nd of January and yours truly celebrated another trip around the sun as a human being on the 29th. And so our Days of Cake have drawn to a close until July when my kid brother tuns 59.

Back when he was only 7 he was pressed not Service by Mom and her Quota Club buddies to appear in a fashion show. A dozen beautiful toe headed kids strutted their stuff for scores of adoring mothers.

My brother's garment was a camel hair navy "P" coat, the kind that buttoned up by way of little rope eyelets and wooden pegs. This was beyond the dexterity of my baby brother. His assignment was to walk down the catwalk, turn, stop, unfasten the pegs from the eyelets and show the red satin lining. The pegs were a bridge too far for a nervous sv n year old.

After fumbling with the fasteners, he did what any self respecting kid might do. He simply lifter the hm of his jacket above his chest and completed his mission.

I write about this today, nearly 55 years after the fact because he showed me his new jacket. A camel hair navy "P" coat with little rope eyelets and clumsy wooden pegs.

Good for your mom and for you Nosmo. I haven't been trying to keep up with the birthdays this year--I only have about half of the birth dates of our Coffee Shoppers and my schedule has been so unnormal and erratic for so long now causing me to be hit and miss on the birthday calendar, unnormal and erratic has become my new normal. :)

View attachment 246526
Your infection took half an hour. My swelling after her bite was instant. Her bite was odd. She went all the way across the top of my had with rapid, multiple bites, delivered with machine gun precision, and she must've tapped into my lymph system which had an instant response of doubling by the time I came out of my little case of shock and looked down and saw the huge swelling. The vet didn't know what I was talking about until I showed him my hand. There was no blood or oozing outs. Just swelling.
Had she ever bitten anyone before, especially like she bit you? Morty was injured and frightened and I was so happy to find him I didn't take time to observe him closely. Maybe your dog was scared of something? I never tell someone my dogs don't bite, even if they never have before. All dogs bite under the wrong circumstances. What kind of treatment did you get for your bite?

Forum List

Back