USMB Coffee Shop IV

It's like a big turn of the wheel. My dad passed away a little over a year ago - so now I'm an adult orphan. Not a club I was eager to join.
You're not in such bad company. I've been an adult orphan for...22 years now? The pain fades but the good memories persist. Not easy, being so recent, though.

It's still pretty new to me. We're in the process of getting the folks' house ready to sell. A lot of tears going through their things.

That is one of the toughest parts.

It's excruciating. All the memorabilia - each thing brings me to tears. In my Dad's office, I found photo albums they had put together for each of us kids - plus boxes of memories for each of us. I can't even type without crying. I miss them so much. I was so lucky to have wonderful parents.
Best wishes getting through all that, boedicca. Tomorrow would've been my husband's 77th birthday. He passed June 13, 2016, 44+ years after we were married. It never occurred to me how quickly a dementia diagnosis could play out. My heart is with you as you recall all their lovingkind things they did to make your life a good one. :huddle:

Thank you - and my heart is with you too.

The backhoe should be up and running soon. It's got a 15' reach. 200 acres and a backhoe can be quite useful. I'll also be setting up at least one good-sized compost windrow...heh, heh, heh. You know how us cats like to bury nasty shit?

Now your talking.

Saturday afternoon!...Busy morning.

It's springtime, when a cat's fancy turns to thoughts of ....playing the bass fiddle!

Let the cartoon begin!

The old cartoons were not only creative and imaginative and funny, at least to kids, but they exposed several generations of children to all genres of music. That wouldn't include this particular cartoon, but I think millions of kids learned to appreciate the classics even. And how to tell a story with music.

Ollie! How are you? Is that one of your grandchildren in the photo?
Great Granddaughter. I;m doing well, Staying busy. I'm still an American Legion Commander, I am now a member of the Circle of Trustees for the Butler Institute of American Art, And I have been giving Ceramic Classes twice a month at an assisted living home... And still find time to do other things... Might drive over to DC for a few days next month. And tomorrow I'll celebrate the 27th Anniversary of my 39th Birthday.
SFC Ollie!!! I'm so happy to see you here again!! I used to be Freedombecki but forgot my password, I'm just glad to be back, too. I took a couple of years off because of my husband's illness and his loss was hard for me. But I'm getting back into the swing and have been enjoying USMB a lot.

I tried looking you up a couple of times, and couldn't find anything after 2014. Welcome back!! :huddle:
I do a lot of FB, and I did loose my wife 2 years ago. But I still am admin at another place (although really really small) so I stay pretty busy
Thanks so much for dropping back by here when you have responsibilities elsewhere. It's just been a privilege to know you, and if the job falls through, and you can come back someday, you'll have many cheerleaders. :thanks:

I think the chance of Ollie getting fired are slim to none. If I knew nothing else about him, I know he does his job and he keeps his word. :) The board where he admins is quite small though and I don't know how much longer the owner will want to incur the significant expense of keeping it open. But for now all is well.
I agree! But if he gets tired of his other job, he has us. :)

Went to church this morning and dropped by the prayer garden where my husband's ashes rest. My fingers traced his beautiful name on the cool, marbled surface of his name engraved into the marble. All the way home, I thought of what beautiful memories he left me. All the great jokes and teasing the dog, His large warm hands, couldn't figure out how he stayed so slim when he ate like he had a hollow leg to fill.. Where did those 44 years go anyway? *sigh*

Sewed when I got home from services. It's so much fun to quilt as you go. I can't hold the great big quilts any more, but I can quilt one square at a time then sew them together with no pain. Old age makes you walk new paths, so long as you can still find home. :)

Hope everyone had as wonderful a weekend as I did. Mine went like Seinfeld's "show about nothing at all" but it was fun, and I got to ride the zero turn mower day before yesterday, and it get me a free ride out front to take out the trash. It's 1/10 of a mile to the front, and the garbage people do not ever come to houses, they add garbage on the roadside only, just like in suburbia.

OMG! This just gets better n' better...partner came in from doing whatever it is he does outside. We decided to play a hand of cribbage. He took off his gear and came in to the living room. The stink was unbearable. I tried but after I pulled my shirt up over my nose, he got insulted and declared the game at an end. He's been sleeping downstairs in my bed but went up to his bedroom this evening. The stink lingers. I've been away about 2 1/2 weeks, he's been here for three weekends to care for the animals. I found out he hasn't showed or bathed since before I left for Okinawa. The stink in my house isn't just because he wouldn't take time to let the poor dog outside and she had to do her business on wee-wee pads and in front of the door, or the fact that the cat boxes haven't been cleaned since I left...a three week filthy human is pretty rank. He's been using my car, too. I thought that smell was me because I hadn't had a shower since the day I left Okinawa, two days ago. I hang my head in shame. How could I claim close affiliation with an animal like this? How can I find a way to "divorce" him?
OMFG... seriously man, why do you put up with that? Is having a "partner" that important? Good God, I'd go it alone and tell him to take a freakin' HIKE.

I wouldn't put up with that from anyone, for any reason.

I'm sorry pard but that dude sounds like a real MORON. A filthy moron.
If I had the money, I'd go see a lawyer. I had some money put aside but just before I left for Okinawa, someone hacked my savings account and cleaned me out. I've taken care of that situation and am slowly rebuilding my savings...in a new account in another bank.
He's gotten the message and will be converting the hay loft in the new barn into living quarters. I'm not sure the goats will approve, though.
I'm sorry pard... I know I'm being pretty harsh, and I understand up there in Alaska things are a lot different than around other parts.

I just feel sorry ya, man. I wouldn't wish your situation on a my worst enemy. I hope you can sort it all out someday, bro.
You're not being harsh. You are able to see from the outside what I have to deal with. But I do have to deal with it. I've offered to buy him out, asked him to buy me out. There is a potential solution but I have to put some money together to get to the point where I can make a proposition. It will also require me giving up the house I have made into my home, out of pocket and with sweat equity. He's put in his sweat equity, too. I'm waiting for my daughter to come back home and then things will change. Partner's moving into the barn will distance him enough to keep things sane. For my part, I find it absolutely amazing that a man his age is this...nasty.
For now, I am very much enjoying the early spring weather and I'm looking forward to working towards getting things in my life in order. I'll feel lots better if I get that done. I cannot change him, but I can continue to improve my own life and surroundings.
PS: while on vacay at the daughter's I took up the knitting needles again and I'm working on a super nice shawl. Photos when I get it done!

After my return from Okinawa I've been feeling a bit "off". I thought maybe jet lag, but then it occurred to me; I left the first week of March and came back three weeks later. There's a lot more daytime now than then. We celebrated the Spring Equinox while I was gone. Discombobulated until I get adjusted to the increased sunlight.
Yup, me too pard. When we start having more daylight than night, it's time for me come out of my cocoon. Took the snowblower off the John Deere. I figure if it does snow again it'll be so mushy that I don't care, I'll drive over it because I know it'll melt really fast. I just love this time of year after being couped up in the house staring out the windows. I absolutely love being outside being able to work on the land. Gives me great satisfaction as I'm sure you agree. It's fun. Work up a good sweat, smell the sweet Spring air and enjoy the heck otta working on your property... sweat equity. I have a more projects than I think I can do but still, sometimes I can hardly sleep thinking about getting at it. Like a buddy of mine used to say at the Supermax prison we worked at... "hit 'er like a biten' sow"... :lol:
I agree. I love being outside and working up that sweat. It's how you know you've done something. I'm letting the does and kids out of their pen tomorrow so I can scrape out their shed. Then I'll do the chicken coop. After it starts getting cold enough, the shit just freezes and accumulates. I picked up some good gloves and a face mask this morning. I also found a thingy that lets me pick up trash without having to bend over to do it. Melting snow is always a revelation!

Went to church this morning and dropped by the prayer garden where my husband's ashes rest. My fingers traced his beautiful name on the cool, marbled surface of his name engraved into the marble. All the way home, I thought of what beautiful memories he left me. All the great jokes and teasing the dog, His large warm hands, couldn't figure out how he stayed so slim when he ate like he had a hollow leg to fill.. Where did those 44 years go anyway? *sigh*

Sewed when I got home from services. It's so much fun to quilt as you go. I can't hold the great big quilts any more, but I can quilt one square at a time then sew them together with no pain. Old age makes you walk new paths, so long as you can still find home. :)

Hope everyone had as wonderful a weekend as I did. Mine went like Seinfeld's "show about nothing at all" but it was fun, and I got to ride the zero turn mower day before yesterday, and it get me a free ride out front to take out the trash. It's 1/10 of a mile to the front, and the garbage people do not ever come to houses, they add garbage on the roadside only, just like in suburbia.
True about getting older. I recently picked up my knitting needles again and have found that wearing wrist braces when I sleep help relieve the needles n pins feelings I get in my hands. I can knit without my hands going numb if I'm diligent about the braces. As I age, I take smaller bites and enjoy each mouthful more.

True about getting older. I recently picked up my knitting needles again and have found that wearing wrist braces when I sleep help relieve the needles n pins feelings I get in my hands. I can knit without my hands going numb if I'm diligent about the braces. As I age, I take smaller bites and enjoy each mouthful more.
Hope you show us your project soon!

Picture! Picture! Picture! Picture!

I Mentioned I had a head cold a while back (couple of weeks at least) and the wife caught it also. Well we just got home from a trip to her primary care doc (2PM appt) followed by a trip to the ER for another 6 hours......... She has a mild pneumonia and probably some bronchitis and her blood O2 levels were low and some of her heart labs were borderline high so they almost admitted her. The treatments they gave her helped to put her back in the normal range so they sent her home and she will be seeing her PCP tomorrow.
Do you expect them to hospitalize her? That all seems pretty serious, especially given the current treatment she's under.
That's why we ended up in the ER, the idea was to rule out other life threatening possibilities as a pulmonary embolism which was not found so as for now she's fine with what's currently being done. Doesn't mean she couldn't end up hospitalized if her condition worsens, I'm keeping a close eye on her.
Prayers up for the Ringels, Ringel! :eusa_angel:

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.
And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:
Harper
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Saveliberty's mom for successful surgery and quick healing
TheLiq and family who need prayers and positive vibes now
Montrovant in difficult transition
Drifter for smooth sailing in her new job.
JustAnotherNut for strength and wisdom dealing with challenges.
Gracie & Mr. G in difficult transition and for positive trend to continue.
GallantWarrior for healing and wellness and solutions
BigBlackDog aka BBD for healing and wellness
All those we love and care about who aren't on the list.
And we keep the porch light on so those who have been away can find their way back and we rejoice when they do!!!
Ringel for healing and Mrs. R facing serious health challenges in difficult transition

And we keep the porch light on so those who have been away can find their way back and we hope they do.

Springtime in Texas
WillowCityLoop.png

To our faithful and loyal Coffee Shoppers past and present, I have come to know and have genuine affection for so many of you. But it is my sad duty to inform you that as of midnight tonight, the Coffee Shop will have to close, be deleted, and will be no more.

APRIL FOOL!!!!

56161698_1828296900658464_1457423849690759168_n.jpg

Forum List

Back