USMB Coffee Shop IV

What a nothin' burger day. Went to quilt meeting last night and had to go home because I couldn't stop coughing. I got okay last night, but today, the cough came up again and was full scale by sundown. Fortunately, I'm still breathing, so it's not all that bad. The pollen count here has been out of control for a few days, and I can only guess it is also persistent.

I saw there was a 2.5 Richter scale earthquake near Anchorage today, so I just dropped in to see if Gallantwarrior had checked in. Glad Ridgerunner found the well, you know... :D

Guess I'll be around for a few minutes more, but if my cough gets bad, I'm going upstairs. At least, GW's earthquake was low. One out there in the farthest reaches of the Aleutian Island, one near Siskin (the smaller Siskin) Island got hit with a gigantic 6.5 temblor this afternoon. Hope that kind stays away from Anchorage area, and that all goes well this Spring.
That quake didn't even register around here, but thanks for you good thoughts. So, your cough is allergy-related? Or is it some viral illness?

Good day today here. I got the chicken coop cleaned out. I found a turkey nest and harvested two of the three eggs there. If she doesn't come back and lay more in the next couple days, I'll get that third egg, too. So now I have both chicken and turkeys laying again. It's still too cold nights to let them go broody, but by the end of this month I'll see what I get for chicks and poults.
Got the partner to help me do springtime goat service. Girls all got their annual immunizations, a dose of Selenium/Vitamin E/Calcium-magnesium-zinc and they got their hooves trimmed. I'm chilling out and will soon retire to my "nest". Oh, yeah, I got started on the spring cleaning in the house. Tomorrow, the snow should be low enough so that I can get out and reset the electric fencing for the goat pen. Partners wethers (geldings) are getting really good at getting out and tearing things up. I think I'll get one of those soft pellet guns and start shooting them with rubber pellets when they get into things. Great target practice!

What a nothin' burger day. Went to quilt meeting last night and had to go home because I couldn't stop coughing. I got okay last night, but today, the cough came up again and was full scale by sundown. Fortunately, I'm still breathing, so it's not all that bad. The pollen count here has been out of control for a few days, and I can only guess it is also persistent.

I saw there was a 2.5 Richter scale earthquake near Anchorage today, so I just dropped in to see if Gallantwarrior had checked in. Glad Ridgerunner found the well, you know... :D

Guess I'll be around for a few minutes more, but if my cough gets bad, I'm going upstairs. At least, GW's earthquake was low. One out there in the farthest reaches of the Aleutian Island, one near Siskin (the smaller Siskin) Island got hit with a gigantic 6.5 temblor this afternoon. Hope that kind stays away from Anchorage area, and that all goes well this Spring.
That quake didn't even register around here, but thanks for you good thoughts. So, your cough is allergy-related? Or is it some viral illness?
Hey, GW. Good to see it is all okay up there.
I have no idea what's wrong, but they say our Elm tree pollen is at its highest and this is the first time I've noticed a cough correlating to the pollen count, so I've been indoors watching dvds and sewing for 2 days. Going out last night to the meeting seems to have been a big mistake. I haven't had a cough like that for a long time, and the muscles around the thoracic region are tight. I think I'll turn in early. It's warmer upstairs. Down here the tiles are cold.
I hope the earth settles down in AK tomorrow. I counted about 16 at or over 2.5 Latest Earthquakes
Hope that computes. the link is 6 lines deep. :eek:

Hey, GW. Good to see it is all okay up there.
I have no idea what's wrong, but they say our Elm tree pollen is at its highest and this is the first time I've noticed a cough correlating to the pollen count, so I've been indoors watching dvds and sewing for 2 days. Going out last night to the meeting seems to have been a big mistake. I haven't had a cough like that for a long time, and the muscles around the thoracic region are tight. I think I'll turn in early. It's warmer upstairs. Down here the tiles are cold.
I hope the earth settles down in AK tomorrow. I counted about 16 at or over 2.5 Latest Earthquakes
Hope that computes. the link is 6 lines deep. :eek:
Seriously, quakes that small are insignificant here.
When I was on Okinawa I noticed lots of locals wearing those fiber masks. Lots of our Asian flight crews wear them, too. I wore one today while cleaning my chicken coop. Might you try wearing a dust mask when out and about?

Thanks for the hint, GW. I bought some last week. I ought to be using them. Best wishes with the Turkeys and chicks.

Time for me to check out and thank Foxfyre for her attention to this wonderful thread. Good job Foxy. Night all.

To our faithful and loyal Coffee Shoppers past and present, I have come to know and have genuine affection for so many of you. But it is my sad duty to inform you that as of midnight tonight, the Coffee Shop will have to close, be deleted, and will be no more.

APRIL FOOL!!!!

56161698_1828296900658464_1457423849690759168_n.jpg

Okay.....I'll admit it.....you really had me going. :D

ooh-thats-a-5bfb77.jpg

:) Good to see you WQ. It's folks like you and our other Coffee Shoppers that have kept it going for almost nine years now :)

You are a good lady Foxy. Sherry and I are slammed in our lives right now but I would be truly sad if their was no Coffee Shop. The credit is yours for keeping it going. Not sure if that appreciation gets expressed enough.

To our faithful and loyal Coffee Shoppers past and present, I have come to know and have genuine affection for so many of you. But it is my sad duty to inform you that as of midnight tonight, the Coffee Shop will have to close, be deleted, and will be no more.

APRIL FOOL!!!!

ooh-thats-a-5bfb77.jpg

:) Good to see you WQ. It's folks like you and our other Coffee Shoppers that have kept it going for almost nine years now :)

You are a good lady Foxy. Sherry and I are slammed in our lives right now but I would be truly sad if their was no Coffee Shop. The credit is yours for keeping it going. Not sure if that appreciation gets expressed enough.

I agree with WQ. The CS has been a wonderful refuge over the years. Life is super busy right now. Our biggest source of joy is our precious 7 month old granddaughter. It's too bad creepy people lurk on the internet or I'd be posting pics of her. It's been 8 months since my mom passed and I miss her more than ever. We are also dealing with elderly parents who have issues that come with age. We recently took our fourth annual honeymoon for a much needed break. We had such an awesome time with great daytime excursions and amazing food and drinks in the evening. We are so looking forward to being in a position within 5 years to take early retirement and do more traveling.:beer:

Loving both the elderly and those newly come to us is precious. Glad to see both of you check in. Being busy is not a bad thing.

APRIL FOOL!!!!

Loving both the elderly and those newly come to us is precious. Glad to see both of you check in. Being busy is not a bad thing.

ooh-thats-a-5bfb77.jpg

I agree with WQ. The CS has been a wonderful refuge over the years. Life is super busy right now. Our biggest source of joy is our precious 7 month old granddaughter. It's too bad creepy people lurk on the internet or I'd be posting pics of her. It's been 8 months since my mom passed and I miss her more than ever. We are also dealing with elderly parents who have issues that come with age. We recently took our fourth annual honeymoon for a much needed break. We had such an awesome time with great daytime excursions and amazing food and drinks in the evening. We are so looking forward to being in a position within 5 years to take early retirement and do more traveling.:beer:

APRIL FOOL!!!!

ooh-thats-a-5bfb77.jpg

Four years already? Wow. It doesn't seem that long since the wedding. But so happy that the two of you are so happy. :)

And thanks, but I don't take credit for keeping the Coffee Shop going. If it wasn't for the truly amazing, eclectic, interesting, caring people that take a bit of their day or week or month to post here, it wouldn't have become the remarkable entity that it became and is. I do feel a certain responsibility for having giving birth to it, and I do sort of informally moderate and take action if anybody tries to mess with it--thanks to all the Coffee Shoppers and great moderators who understand the Coffee Shop and have helped with that--but all of you get the credit for what it is.

Wow! I agree, Foxy, FOUR years! WQ and Sherry have become grandparents together, too.
Several Coffee Shoppers have gone, and some have come back. Some have gone through hell and back. (I miss Gracie!) Some are still going through their own personal hell.
I'm happy for the morning today which looks like it will become a lovely day. It's still freezing at night here but the snow and ice is slowly going away as the days are warming. Partner left early this morning to go back to work. I have to get the electric fences set up in hope that they will contain his wethers. I cannot feed my birds when his shit makers are out because they eat the birds' feed.
I'm now eagerly awaiting my favorite time of year, kidding season. I only have four does, possibly five, who are expecting. One has already started "bagging up" (her udder is becoming engorged with milk). It's also looking like I'll have some chicks and poults, too. The circle of life, the passing of seasons, goes on ceaselessly. Every year brings a promise of new life. I am glad for that.
I sure hope the rest of you find some reason to celebrate this turning of the seasons, despite all hardships we are still here.
Luvs y'all!

Wow! I agree, Foxy, FOUR years! WQ and Sherry have become grandparents together, too.
Several Coffee Shoppers have gone, and some have come back. Some have gone through hell and back. (I miss Gracie!) Some are still going through their own personal hell.
I'm happy for the morning today which looks like it will become a lovely day. It's still freezing at night here but the snow and ice is slowly going away as the days are warming. Partner left early this morning to go back to work. I have to get the electric fences set up in hope that they will contain his wethers. I cannot feed my birds when his shit makers are out because they eat the birds' feed.
I'm now eagerly awaiting my favorite time of year, kidding season. I only have four does, possibly five, who are expecting. One has already started "bagging up" (her udder is becoming engorged with milk). It's also looking like I'll have some chicks and poults, too. The circle of life, the passing of seasons, goes on ceaselessly. Every year brings a promise of new life. I am glad for that.
I sure hope the rest of you find some reason to celebrate this turning of the seasons, despite all hardships we are still here.
Luvs y'all!

That's why we keep the porch light on. In hopes that some great people will eventually find their way back. :)

And your word pictures of life there in Alaska are so special and appreciated. I hope Nosmo King returns with his little mini anthologies too.

Luvs y'all!

That's why we keep the porch light on. In hopes that some great people will eventually find their way back. :)

And your word pictures of life there in Alaska are so special and appreciated. I hope Nosmo King returns with his little mini anthologies too.
Oh, Yeah! NoSmo and his Uncle Ducky! I suppose he's busy either cleaning up the messes from the recent storms or he's busy with spring planting.

Found something interesting on Bing about New Mexico scenic stuff being used as their picture-of-the-day deal, which was too big to bring here, so I found a similar picture elsewhere:

mushroom-stars-5.jpg

We’re celebrating International Dark-Sky Week with an image from a corner of New Mexico that’s one of the best places to stargaze in the continental United States. Dark-Sky Week is observed during the first new moon of April, when stars shine more brightly because the moon isn’t visible. The event was created to bring attention to the harmful effects of artificial light on the natural world, and to remind us of the beauty of an unadulterated night sky. Light pollution not only impacts our ability to see the stars and to sleep soundly, but also creates challenges for many nocturnal species, migrating birds, and even baby sea turtles. So, turn out those lights, look up, and be amazed at the sky that your great-great-grandparents saw.
mushroom-milky-way.jpg

Don't recall ever having seen this part of New Mexico, not ever, and nothing like it. Very spectacular.

Found something interesting on Bing about New Mexico scenic stuff being used as their picture-of-the-day deal, which was too big to bring here, so I found a similar picture elsewhere:

mushroom-stars-5.jpg

We’re celebrating International Dark-Sky Week with an image from a corner of New Mexico that’s one of the best places to stargaze in the continental United States. Dark-Sky Week is observed during the first new moon of April, when stars shine more brightly because the moon isn’t visible. The event was created to bring attention to the harmful effects of artificial light on the natural world, and to remind us of the beauty of an unadulterated night sky. Light pollution not only impacts our ability to see the stars and to sleep soundly, but also creates challenges for many nocturnal species, migrating birds, and even baby sea turtles. So, turn out those lights, look up, and be amazed at the sky that your great-great-grandparents saw.
mushroom-milky-way.jpg

Don't recall ever having seen this part of New Mexico, not ever, and nothing like it. Very spectacular.

Yes I posted some photos from the Bisti Badlands or also called the De-Na-Zin Wilderness some days or maybe a week or two ago in the Coffee Shop. De-Na-Zin is Navajo roughly translated "crane' based on petroglyphs of cranes found in the rocks. It is a pretty big area and a National Park. Located in a remote area in the high desert roughly between Gallup and Farmington in the northwest quadrant of the state, you wont see it or go anywhere near it unless you go there intentionally. Very much off the beaten path from anywhere. An amazing place though.

Luvs y'all!

I miss Gracie as well. :)

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Saveliberty's mom for successful surgery and quick healing
TheLiq and family who need prayers and positive vibes now
Montrovant in difficult transition
Drifter for smooth sailing in her new job.
JustAnotherNut for strength and wisdom dealing with challenges.
Gracie & Mr. G in difficult transition and for positive trend to continue.
BigBlackDog aka BBD for healing and wellness
GallantWarrior for healing and wellness and solutions
Ringel for healing and Mrs. R facing serious health challenges in difficult transition
All those we love and care about who aren't on the list.

And we keep the porch light on so those who have been away can find their way back and we hope they do.

Springtime in Alaska
whittier-anchorage-alaska.jpg

Okay, my time to vent!

56286750_364385101085476_225691447548968960_n.jpg

(I'm working on the attitude adjustment but give me a few minutes.)

British law has come down on cold calling on the telephone, and there are heavy penalties. I have not had a call for ages since the new law. I used to get several a week.

Okay, my time to vent!

56286750_364385101085476_225691447548968960_n.jpg

(I'm working on the attitude adjustment but give me a few minutes.)

British law has come down on cold calling on the telephone, and there are heavy penalties. I have not had a call for ages since the new law. I used to get several a week.

I think our Constitution would prohibit Congress from passing such a law here. They have established no call lists in the past to discourage telemarketers but with 330+ million people, it was almost impossible to enforce.

Our best bet are probably phones that allow us to quickly and routinely block such calls. Telemarketers are less of a problem because most places find other sorts of advertising more effective without annoying people. Most of our unsolicited calls are from professional callers working for charities soliciting donations (I'm estimating maybe 10-20%) and the rest are scammers with many of those calls looking like local calls but originating outside the USA.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back