USMB Coffee Shop IV

Speaking of 45s (and other sizes of vinyl records) --- a friend of mine sent me this. I'm gonna try it sooner or later:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gyvipBs6Vs

From the A/B sound test it's sounding like he actually removes scratches. I'm skeptical that's possible. But if it is, my record collection is about to spike in monetary value... :eusa_think:

Less static after the cleaning, but I couldn't tell enough difference in sound quality to justify the time, effort, risk of a real mess, and expense of using wood glue to clean the record. I think the plain old light chamois and other methods we've used to clean records is a lot simpler and probably about as efficient.

I saw something on my daily walk with Daisy the Mutt I have not seen in years. And I'm wondering how it got there. It was the pull tab from a can of some beverage. Remember those? Little razor sharp pieces of aluminum that once littered parks and picnic grounds all over the place. How, after so many years after their supposed demise did a pull tab show up gleaming in the afternoon sun at an Ohio State Park? Did someone hoard cans with pull tabs and now expect the beverages sealed within to be fresh?

I was thinking that if I drove my AMC Gremlin through a lawn dart game while fussing with the 8 track tape deck I would not be in a time warp as bizarre as seeing a pull tab on the ground in July of 2014. Pull tabs are artifacts as foreign to us today as button hooks or ignition cranks on cars. We have also left black and white televisions, 45 rpm records, collar buttons, men in hats not caps, 7 watt Christmas tree lights, wringer washing machines, VHS tapes, coal furnaces and Dristan tablets in our cultural wake.

They are still sold & are legal in other parts of the world, like Egypt and India.
Maybe someone brought it back with them from another country?
My cousin was in India this last Christmas and brought back soda cans with the pull tab.

An observation for Nosmo -- I have 78 cans of cat food here, and 78 of them have pull tabs.

Okay boys and girls, here is your history lesson for today, July 24. Can you believe there is only one week left in July already?

On July 24 in. . . .

1847 Brigham Young and his Mormon followers arrive at what would become Salt Lake City, Utah. (This one is for Jake who lives there now.)

1934 - 1st ptarmigan hatched and reared in captivity, Ithaca, New York. For that to make the memorable historical events list, it must have been hard to do?
willowptarmigan1b.jpg

1958 - Ted Williams is fined $250 for spitting at Boston fans. (Apparently wasn't the first time he had done that.)

1969 - Apollo 11 (Armstrong, Aldrin, Collins) returns to Earth. Ironically it was on the same day in 1975 that Apollo 18 returned to Earth, but Apollo 17 was the last moon mission. Starting with Apollo 18 through 20, all missions were low orbit missions setting up the Skylab Space Station. Of interest though, I found this: "Budget cuts - NOTE: The Apollo 15 designation was re-used as Apollo 16 became 15, 17 became 16, and 18 became 17." Now if you understand that, you must work for the government. :)

2013 - The scientific theory of supersymmetry is challenged after experiments with the Large Hadron Collider yield an incredibly rare particle decay event. I don't pretend to be up on supersymmetry theory or what the heck the Large Hadron Collider does, but when I read something like this, I am reminded that even among the scientific community and others of the most brilliant among us, we don't always know what we think we know.

Speaking of 45s (and other sizes of vinyl records) --- a friend of mine sent me this. I'm gonna try it sooner or later:

From the A/B sound test it's sounding like he actually removes scratches. I'm skeptical that's possible. But if it is, my record collection is about to spike in monetary value... :eusa_think:

Less static after the cleaning, but I couldn't tell enough difference in sound quality to justify the time, effort, risk of a real mess, and expense of using wood glue to clean the record. I think the plain old light chamois and other methods we've used to clean records is a lot simpler and probably about as efficient.

It is, sure. But if this can actually remove scratches, that's a game changer.
As I said I'm skeptical that's possible, but just for fun I'm going to try it -- I certainly have expendable vinyl, and plenty of wood glue. I guess the theory would be the wood glue is leaching out those tiny particles inside the grooves that a standard record cleaner (which really only dusts) can't penetrate. Of course those aren't technically scratches, so I'm using the wrong term.

I can actually digitize before and after and compare them visually on a graph. We'll see, literally.

My friend who sent me this video says if I try this she "wants my peelings". I told her if I had a dime for every time a woman told me that, I'd have ten cents.

Last edited:
Okay boys and girls, here is your history lesson for today, July 24. Can you believe there is only one week left in July already?

On July 24 in. . . .

1847 Brigham Young and his Mormon followers arrive at what would become Salt Lake City, Utah. (This one is for Jake who lives there now.)

1934 - 1st ptarmigan hatched and reared in captivity, Ithaca, New York. For that to make the memorable historical events list, it must have been hard to do?
willowptarmigan1b.jpg

1958 - Ted Williams is fined $250 for spitting at Boston fans. (Apparently wasn't the first time he had done that.)

1969 - Apollo 11 (Armstrong, Aldrin, Collins) returns to Earth. Ironically it was on the same day in 1975 that Apollo 18 returned to Earth, but Apollo 17 was the last moon mission. Starting with Apollo 18 through 20, all missions were low orbit missions setting up the Skylab Space Station. Of interest though, I found this: "Budget cuts - NOTE: The Apollo 15 designation was re-used as Apollo 16 became 15, 17 became 16, and 18 became 17." Now if you understand that, you must work for the government. :)

2013 - The scientific theory of supersymmetry is challenged after experiments with the Large Hadron Collider yield an incredibly rare particle decay event. I don't pretend to be up on supersymmetry theory or what the heck the Large Hadron Collider does, but when I read something like this, I am reminded that even among the scientific community and others of the most brilliant among us, we don't always know what we think we know.

I wonder how Eggplant Ptarmigan would taste... :eusa_think:

And then there is this. You can't tell me they don't reason:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iFufXkDBEQ]Seagull Steals From World's Laziest Cat - YouTube[/ame]

I asked for my fog back and boy did it come back with a vengeance. Kinda cold today and a light breeze to boot. Which means this is movie day after I vac. My life is so exciting.

I saw something on my daily walk with Daisy the Mutt I have not seen in years. And I'm wondering how it got there. It was the pull tab from a can of some beverage. Remember those? Little razor sharp pieces of aluminum that once littered parks and picnic grounds all over the place. How, after so many years after their supposed demise did a pull tab show up gleaming in the afternoon sun at an Ohio State Park? Did someone hoard cans with pull tabs and now expect the beverages sealed within to be fresh?

I was thinking that if I drove my AMC Gremlin through a lawn dart game while fussing with the 8 track tape deck I would not be in a time warp as bizarre as seeing a pull tab on the ground in July of 2014. Pull tabs are artifacts as foreign to us today as button hooks or ignition cranks on cars. We have also left black and white televisions, 45 rpm records, collar buttons, men in hats not caps, 7 watt Christmas tree lights, wringer washing machines, VHS tapes, coal furnaces and Dristan tablets in our cultural wake.

Wasn't me, I checked my collection Only have one with the old pull tab.

Perhaps it was dug up by an amateur archaeologist? Or just washed out from the earth by rain.
It looked new! It wasn't biffed up or misshaped. Just as if you opened a can of Coke and tossed the tab on the ground yesterday. The ring was intact and the tab had that scimitar-like curve to it.

Aluminum doesn't tarnish so it might have been in some sheltered place as Pogo suggested until wind or rain deposited it in your path.

you buy a can of coke in mexico it will probably have a pull tab on it still. when i was in India last summer they still had pull tabs on their cans too.

Woke up with a huge headache this morning, and no, I had nothing to drink last night, either. Only on rare occasions do I drink, anyway. The German National Train system (Die Deutsche Bahn) is renovating the tracks real close to my place and I think they sprayed something on the tracks while they were working on them in the middle of the night (from 02:30-05:30) and man, oh man, do I have a headache. Anyone got a hammer and a chisel? Ugh.

This is my last heavy business day before vacation begins. Should be fun to get through this one....
One option would be to try and cut back on the caffeine for today, and drink lots of water instead. Also, eat a sizeable portion of food. Sometimes a headache can be triggered when one doesn't have enough nourishment. Even if it's not, eating the extra food can't hurt ... :D

When I was working more and drinking copious amounts of caffeine for several days in a row, not drinking coffee on the day after the work was done would give me a headache. Not a bad one but noticeable. I remember that because I normally never get headaches at all.
Sounds like a withdrawal symptom. Some folks who give up nicotine or alcohol have far worse symptoms like anxiety, shaky hands, and insomnia.

Beautiful day here in northwestern Illinois. Had my coffee out on the back porch watching and listening to the birds. They sure are a noisy bunch in the mornings. Coffee is good. Life is good. Let's get this thing called Thursday into motion.

What a peaceful image that places in my head, BBD. :thup:

We have a different species of birds singing every morning beginning around 4. They have a pretty sound to them, but in unison become loud noise and I have to get out of bed and close the window and then can't always get back to sleep. This happens in the summer. I don't know how they found my place, for the first time in 8 years and just 3 feet from my windows. The previous species waited until around 5 or 6 to begin their concert. That was acceptable. :lol:
Birds are fine, I usually sleep right through their singing. However 4am is a little early. If they are really that close to the window, here's one way to eliminate your problem ... :lol:

Cat%20Veranda.jpg

Beautiful day here in northwestern Illinois. Had my coffee out on the back porch watching and listening to the birds. They sure are a noisy bunch in the mornings. Coffee is good. Life is good. Let's get this thing called Thursday into motion.

What a peaceful image that places in my head, BBD. :thup:

We have a different species of birds singing every morning beginning around 4. They have a pretty sound to them, but in unison become loud noise and I have to get out of bed and close the window and then can't always get back to sleep. This happens in the summer. I don't know how they found my place, for the first time in 8 years and just 3 feet from my windows. The previous species waited until around 5 or 6 to begin their concert. That was acceptable. :lol:
Birds are fine, I usually sleep right through their singing. However 4am is a little early. If they are really that close to the window, here's one way to eliminate your problem ... :lol:

Cat%20Veranda.jpg

Air catditioner?

:D

Last edited:

See 'em all the time on soda cans from China and other various locations.

Ditto!! I don't think he removed and scratches, per se, but he certainly got deep into the grooves to remove and dirt and grime that was embedded. Wonder where people come up with these ideas?

Smells wonderful here, right now. A buddy of mine swapped me some nice salmon filets for some smoked cheddar cheese and I've marinated them and they're in the smoker now. Mmm-mmm, good! I like my salmon smoked "hard", it's commonly referred to as "squaw candy". I also do a passable Scottish cold cure, too. Makes me wish I had more time to go fishing. Alas, dairy production keeps one rather tied down. At least my cheese buys me some decent fish. I also scored a couple of pounds of fresh halibut, too.
Speaking of dairy...I'd better go get the milking done!
Y'all have a great afternoon (evening?)

Forum List

Back