USMB Coffee Shop IV

Picture-21.png

Beautiful day here in northwestern Illinois. Had my coffee out on the back porch watching and listening to the birds. They sure are a noisy bunch in the mornings. Coffee is good. Life is good. Let's get this thing called Thursday into motion.

Hot today for the parade, 103 yesterday.

Don't care for it, but I dislike 0 degrees far more.

Beautiful day here in northwestern Illinois. Had my coffee out on the back porch watching and listening to the birds. They sure are a noisy bunch in the mornings. Coffee is good. Life is good. Let's get this thing called Thursday into motion.

What a peaceful image that places in my head, BBD. :thup:

We have a different species of birds singing every morning beginning around 4. They have a pretty sound to them, but in unison become loud noise and I have to get out of bed and close the window and then can't always get back to sleep. This happens in the summer. I don't know how they found my place, for the first time in 8 years and just 3 feet from my windows. The previous species waited until around 5 or 6 to begin their concert. That was acceptable. :lol:

Hot today for the parade, 103 yesterday.

Don't care for it, but I dislike 0 degrees far more.

Bummer!

Pouring down rain here. :eusa_dance: However the forecast for the next few days is hot and sunny....high 60's. Means indoors it is high 80's. :( Hard to sleep on those humid nights. Very unusual weather pattern the past 9 months.

been ever so long, AA, since I have been on the Oregon coast

do you have those ceiling fans from forty years ago

I saw something on my daily walk with Daisy the Mutt I have not seen in years. And I'm wondering how it got there. It was the pull tab from a can of some beverage. Remember those? Little razor sharp pieces of aluminum that once littered parks and picnic grounds all over the place. How, after so many years after their supposed demise did a pull tab show up gleaming in the afternoon sun at an Ohio State Park? Did someone hoard cans with pull tabs and now expect the beverages sealed within to be fresh?

I was thinking that if I drove my AMC Gremlin through a lawn dart game while fussing with the 8 track tape deck I would not be in a time warp as bizarre as seeing a pull tab on the ground in July of 2014. Pull tabs are artifacts as foreign to us today as button hooks or ignition cranks on cars. We have also left black and white televisions, 45 rpm records, collar buttons, men in hats not caps, 7 watt Christmas tree lights, wringer washing machines, VHS tapes, coal furnaces and Dristan tablets in our cultural wake.

I saw something on my daily walk with Daisy the Mutt I have not seen in years. And I'm wondering how it got there. It was the pull tab from a can of some beverage. Remember those? Little razor sharp pieces of aluminum that once littered parks and picnic grounds all over the place. How, after so many years after their supposed demise did a pull tab show up gleaming in the afternoon sun at an Ohio State Park? Did someone hoard cans with pull tabs and now expect the beverages sealed within to be fresh?

I was thinking that if I drove my AMC Gremlin through a lawn dart game while fussing with the 8 track tape deck I would not be in a time warp as bizarre as seeing a pull tab on the ground in July of 2014. Pull tabs are artifacts as foreign to us today as button hooks or ignition cranks on cars. We have also left black and white televisions, 45 rpm records, collar buttons, men in hats not caps, 7 watt Christmas tree lights, wringer washing machines, VHS tapes, coal furnaces and Dristan tablets in our cultural wake.

Perhaps it was dug up by an amateur archaeologist? Or just washed out from the earth by rain.

Perhaps it was dug up by an amateur archaeologist? Or just washed out from the earth by rain.
It looked new! It wasn't biffed up or misshaped. Just as if you opened a can of Coke and tossed the tab on the ground yesterday. The ring was intact and the tab had that scimitar-like curve to it.

Woke up with a huge headache this morning, and no, I had nothing to drink last night, either. Only on rare occasions do I drink, anyway. The German National Train system (Die Deutsche Bahn) is renovating the tracks real close to my place and I think they sprayed something on the tracks while they were working on them in the middle of the night (from 02:30-05:30) and man, oh man, do I have a headache. Anyone got a hammer and a chisel? Ugh.

This is my last heavy business day before vacation begins. Should be fun to get through this one....
One option would be to try and cut back on the caffeine for today, and drink lots of water instead. Also, eat a sizeable portion of food. Sometimes a headache can be triggered when one doesn't have enough nourishment. Even if it's not, eating the extra food can't hurt ... :D

When I was working more and drinking copious amounts of caffeine for several days in a row, not drinking coffee on the day after the work was done would give me a headache. Not a bad one but noticeable. I remember that because I normally never get headaches at all.

Woke up with a huge headache this morning, and no, I had nothing to drink last night, either. Only on rare occasions do I drink, anyway. The German National Train system (Die Deutsche Bahn) is renovating the tracks real close to my place and I think they sprayed something on the tracks while they were working on them in the middle of the night (from 02:30-05:30) and man, oh man, do I have a headache. Anyone got a hammer and a chisel? Ugh.

This is my last heavy business day before vacation begins. Should be fun to get through this one....
One option would be to try and cut back on the caffeine for today, and drink lots of water instead. Also, eat a sizeable portion of food. Sometimes a headache can be triggered when one doesn't have enough nourishment. Even if it's not, eating the extra food can't hurt ... :D

When I was working more and drinking copious amounts of caffeine for several days in a row, not drinking coffee on the day after the work was done would give me a headache. Not a bad one but noticeable. I remember that because I normally never get headaches at all.

The day is slowly improving....

We have a different species of birds singing every morning beginning around 4. They have a pretty sound to them, but in unison become loud noise and I have to get out of bed and close the window and then can't always get back to sleep. This happens in the summer. I don't know how they found my place, for the first time in 8 years and just 3 feet from my windows. The previous species waited until around 5 or 6 to begin their concert. That was acceptable. :lol:

We have a little sign on a tree in our back yard that says "No chirping until after 6:30 am." Seems to work pretty well for us.

Perhaps if you let Laci out for an early morning stroll the birds might decide to find someone else to annoy! :D

It looked new! It wasn't biffed up or misshaped. Just as if you opened a can of Coke and tossed the tab on the ground yesterday. The ring was intact and the tab had that scimitar-like curve to it.

Aluminum doesn't tarnish so it might have been in some sheltered place as Pogo suggested until wind or rain deposited it in your path.

Good morning coffee people. Another beautiful day here in paradise. Waiting for Foxy's this day in history to learn something.

All in all....life is good.

happiness_with_you.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz
Good morning everybody. I was so exhausted when I went to bed last night that I slept in and slept in and slept in this morning, noisy birds outside and all. And when I got up around 10 a.m. MDT I felt better. Now enjoying coffee and pretending the morning isn't almost over.

Sending healing vibes to Stat and his headache. I so very rarely ever have a headache I don't cope with them well at all.

Don't know what to think about Nosmo's pull tab. I'm pretty sure we don't have anything in the house that has those now, but we do have a fairly large collection of 45 records and a record player to play them on. We have those old-fashioned ceiling fans in every room in the house except the great room and bathrooms. I have a large collection of movies on VHS tapes and a player to play them on in one of the bedrooms.

Never owned a wringer washer but my mother did. They don't make Dristan any more?

Our forecast remains in the low to high 90's each day but it has been having a tough time getting up to that because the monsoon clouds start building in during the afternoon and keep the temps knocked down. Nighttime temps in the 60's with windows wide open makes for good sleeping. We're supposed to be fairly dry for a few days now though with the rains returning late in the weekend.

Speaking of 45s (and other sizes of vinyl records) --- a friend of mine sent me this. I'm gonna try it sooner or later:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gyvipBs6Vs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gyvipBs6Vs[/ame]

From the A/B sound test it's sounding like he actually removes scratches. I'm skeptical that's possible. But if it is, my record collection is about to spike in monetary value... :eusa_think:

They are still sold & are legal in other parts of the world, like Egypt and India.
Maybe someone brought it back with them from another country?
My cousin was in India this last Christmas and brought back soda cans with the pull tab.

Forum List

Back