USMB Coffee Shop IV

I think I want another dog from the pound. But I am so scared I will get one that has seizures. I never ever ever ever want to go thru that again. So...I keep talking myself out of going there to see if there is a playmate for Karma. :(

I think I want another dog from the pound. But I am so scared I will get one that has seizures. I never ever ever ever want to go thru that again. So...I keep talking myself out of going there to see if there is a playmate for Karma. :(

Seizures?

I don't think I've ever even seen such a thing. I'm sure it happens but how common can it be?

Getcher ass down there and grab yew a dawg, girl. Get back on that horse.

big-black-dog-albums-pictures-picture6699-img-0370.jpg

Mrs. BBD just finished up the baby quilt for her new niece. I think she did a great job of it.

I gotta buy some new tennis shoes this week. East coasters call them 'sneakers', but here in the Ohio Valley, tennis shoes is the preferred term. Next weekend is the big pig roast (if you're in the area, call me and I'll get you in!) During the actual roasting of the pig, there is no need to pay attention to footwear. But, after we take the beast from the spit, we must carve it up for consumption. And that's where the right shoes are critical.

We roast a pig, average weight around 110 pounds, for eight or nine hours. It all depends on what the meat thermometer says after we test the hams, shoulders and ribs. Then the spit comes off the mechanical device attached to the Maytag wringer washer motor. The pig stays tied to the spit for another 45 minutes to an hour to rest and finish cooking from the inside. Then we take the spit from the pig and begin carving.

We line a sturdy table with butcher's paper and lay the pig atop it. Armed with carving knives, we dissect the whole animal, reserving the tenderloins for ourselves. I usually carve up the hams while my brother works the shoulders. And here's where shoes come into the picture.

There is about a gallon of free flowing fat and grease that quickly finds the tops of your shoes while carving. An old pair of lawn mowing shoes serves best, avoiding stains on new tennis shoes.

Back in 1989 we threw a pig roast for a friend's Master's degree celebration. We held it at the Shrine Club on the first weekend of May. The following weekend the Shriners held their annual Fishing Derby. There is a small lake, or a large pond, on the property. The Shiners would stock that lake with $8,000 worth of game fish. Small and large mouth bass, trout and walleye would be introduced to the lake two weeks prior to the Derby.

We showed up at the Shrine Club at 7:00 am and started the fire. Then we went into the clubhouse and fixed a big breakfast. Along about 8:00, we put the pig, already strapped to the spit, on to start cooking. And that's when a Grandfather brought his five or six year old grandson to ply the waters prematurely. One of the Shriners gently reminded Grandpa that the lake was closed to fishing until the next weekend and the big Fishing Derby.

Grandpa noticed us and our fire not far from the lake and came over to see what was going on. His grandson was in tow and was immediately entranced by the sight of a real pig spinning on a spit. We chatted for a while about the roasting process and our friend's accomplishments. All the while that little boy stood transfixed by the roasting beast before him.

Now, after 45 minutes or so, the pig begins to heat up. The skin sweats fat, making it glisten. The fluids trapped in the sinuses and brain pan begin to expand ejecting what looks like strawberry jam from the snout. This particular pig was felled by a .22 to the back of the skull, and that wound began to ooze blood. The little boy never looked away, but seemed to study the scene. I could tell that his mind was being tattooed with the image of a pig on a spit.

That was 26 years ago. The little boy has grown into a man by now. But I think he still remembers the day his grandfather took him fishing and he saw a pig on a spit. I wonder if he eats pork today?

Back in my pig roasting days, I discovered that it took just a little over half a bottle of Jack Daniels and 12 hours to cook a hog on our spit. Oddly enough, it only took about 4 hours for all the guests to consume the pig.

Don't be too worried, the odds of another dog with the same problem is very low.

Although it happens Gracie, I had a dog with seizures once that was on medication to keep them under control, it isn't that common.

The odds of getting another dog with seizures is low. Good luck to you on this.

Ok, today is the first day where I deliberately did not make a cup of coffee for myself in the morning, since my stomach was feeling pretty iffy, and now guess who has insomnia tonight.....

weird....

I would like to know what it feels like to NOT have insomnia one night. Let me know will ya? Maybe not tonight, but on a night you can sleep. :D

Ok, today is the first day where I deliberately did not make a cup of coffee for myself in the morning, since my stomach was feeling pretty iffy, and now guess who has insomnia tonight.....

weird....

I would like to know what it feels like to NOT have insomnia one night. Let me know will ya? Maybe not tonight, but on a night you can sleep. :D

Ok, here we go: get a frying pan....

I take 4 gm of Lovaza every day. Heard about Q-10 always wondered if it was worth it, Docs have never mentioned it.

It's my understanding that any statin, prescription-racket or RYR, eats up Co Q10, so I've been taking the latter with the former. Can't remember for sure if my doctor was one who mentioned that. I think she was, but I heard it from multiple sources.

I think I read it alleviates that muscle soreness side effect. I haven't had any side effects but I read that.

There is no scientific large studies confirming the effects of Co Q-10 on statin side effects and not recommended as a general aid to alleviating statins side effects.

There, now that that is out of the way, Co Q-10 is a natural substance our bodies produce and with the supplements being a dietary supplement is not subjected to the same scientific scrutiny medicines are so of course the AMA is bound to it's stance which may be why Ollies' Doc doesn't promote it or may not even know about it.
That doesn't mean it doesn't work or that it's harmful. Ollie talk to your Doc and see what he/she has to say, mine loves the fact that I'm taking it.

I see the Fam Doc on the 30th and the Cardiologist in Sept....I'll ask em both.

Its such a cold day, I could do with a nice cup of tea...what do you know, mm put the kettle on. She read my mind...

State Titles are on the 14th of September, the day after my sisters hen's night. I will be in Melbourne which is good, but need a way to get from Kane's house to the venue. And I will be operating on about two hours sleep that day so it will be interesting to see how I go. Hopefully I am allowed to attend - one of my (friendly) rivals has graded up and is no longer in my division, so I have a good chance at qualifying for both the National Championships (which I cannot attend anyway) and the World Cup next year. :)

weird....

Ok, here we go: get a frying pan....

I already do that. I need something new. My head hurts and I'm not thinking clearly anymore. What were we talking about again. :lol:

Greetings, CS fellows!
I have been busier than a one-legged guy in a butt-kicking contest, so haven't been logged on as much as I usually am. The shed on my property is progressing, slowly. It takes about 16 man-hours to measure, cut, assemble, and install each roof truss. 16 ft wide makes them unwieldy for one person to handle, too. But the place is looking pretty good. I wish my daughter had been able to stay a little longer, and I had more vacation time. We could have gotten it together a lot more quickly working as a team. I need this shed, though. I will be storing most of my stuff there until I get back from the Lower 48 in a few years. Of course, I am not planning to leave here until late next summer and a lot can happen in a year, but the plan is for me to park my "house" in my daughter's back yard and spend some time with my (very quickly) maturing granddaughters. I'll also be able to help out when her hubby goes on deployments, too. I love Alaska, I'm not fond of NC, but being able to be part of my daughter's life, and my granddaughters', is so much more important than my dislike of the hot, muggy, buggy climate down there.

Forum List

Back