USMB Coffee Shop IV

I captioned this one: "We're gonna need a bigger sink!"

EIJobWsX0AEA3zE
Turn the faucet on and watch what happens........

Had to go back and do some catching up. Prayers up for all.
That little head cold morphed into something much less desirable, finally ended up with bronchitis so bad I could only sleep 4 hours a night and maybe catch an extra hour or two in my office chair later on. It got so bad today (felt like I was drowning in my own phlegm) I went into the VA to the Day Clinic, checked in and walked around the corner to my PCP's exam area to talk with the receptionist when my Doc walks out, asks me what's going on, I tell him, he turns to the receptionist and tells her to check me in. As soon as I was checked in the nurse took me back did my vitals and the Doc had her give me two meds in a nebulizer. The first one helped a lot, the second one did the trick, rechecked all my vitals, listened to my lungs then sent me down to pharmacy before going home all within an hour.
Felt good enough to stop by Albertsons which was great because this morning was trash day and moving the bins back up to the house from the street was almost more than I could do at the time.

You and Hombre. Practically have to be dead before you go to the doctor. :) But happy you are feeling better and hope you continue to do so.
We're obviously old school where you didn't go to a doc unless it was life or death. :lol:

Happy Halloween everybody! The day dawned gray and rainy. A terrible night ahead for trick-or-treaters. Their costumes will be obscured by raincoats, if they go out at all. So a good night if you're dressed as a flasher, not so good if you're a princess or Spider-Man.

Back in 1997 Halloween featured four inches of heavy, wet snow. I remember it well. One of my best friend's mother sadly lost her fight against cancer on October 29.

I was tapped to be a pall bearer. For those of you who have performed this duty, you know how sad, solemn and physically difficult it can be. Caskets weigh about as much as a refrigerator. I don't know how pall bearers are able to place them on their shoulders as they do according to custom in other places. Often coffins borne that way are, well, coffins not caskets. The coffin is the six sided box Dracula would sleep in while caskets are rectangular. Maybe they are lighter.

A pall bearer should be dressed up. In fact, in my humble opinion, every attendee at a funeral should make a proud effort to look their best. When I attended the funeral of the daughter of my friend in Brooklyn, she asked me my opinion on what her daughter should wear in her casket. She suggested, as her daughter was a 30 year old woman who was vivacious and fun loving a t-shirt and denim shorts might be fitting. I told my friend that, if she was ever in charge of what I should wear to my own funeral, she should really ask others for help. A black cocktail dress was in her closet and that worked out for the best. No one should be the worst dressed person at their own funeral.

But back to being a pall bearer. As I explained, Halloween 1997 was a peculiarly cold and snowy day. I wore a blue wool suit, white shirt and deep red tie. Black leather dress shoes and matching socks.

Black leather dress shoes are not the footwear ready to walk along a snowy hillside, especially when bearing the weight of a casket. The hearse pulled up along the cemetery road as close to the grave as possible. The pall bearers got out of the limousine (third car back in the funeral cortège). We lined up at the rear hatch of the hearse and lifted the casket from the vehicle. As soon as our collective feet stepped upon that slick, icy snow, we knew we had a situation on our hands.

We slipped and slid our way up the slope to the canopy erected to shelter the funeral party and gently laid the casket on a waiting catafalque. I was never so relieved that no one fell or, worse, dropped anything.

When we got back downtown to the reception, I did manage to slip and fall on the marble floor of the reception center. I was overdue to find myself on my butt that day.

Last edited:
Had to go back and do some catching up. Prayers up for all.
That little head cold morphed into something much less desirable, finally ended up with bronchitis so bad I could only sleep 4 hours a night and maybe catch an extra hour or two in my office chair later on. It got so bad today (felt like I was drowning in my own phlegm) I went into the VA to the Day Clinic, checked in and walked around the corner to my PCP's exam area to talk with the receptionist when my Doc walks out, asks me what's going on, I tell him, he turns to the receptionist and tells her to check me in. As soon as I was checked in the nurse took me back did my vitals and the Doc had her give me two meds in a nebulizer. The first one helped a lot, the second one did the trick, rechecked all my vitals, listened to my lungs then sent me down to pharmacy before going home all within an hour.
Felt good enough to stop by Albertsons which was great because this morning was trash day and moving the bins back up to the house from the street was almost more than I could do at the time.

You and Hombre. Practically have to be dead before you go to the doctor. :) But happy you are feeling better and hope you continue to do so.
We're obviously old school where you didn't go to a doc unless it was life or death. :lol:

I suppose so.

A
Happy Halloween everybody! The day dawned gray and rainy. A terrible night ahead for trick-or-treaters. Their costumes will be obscured by raincoats, if they go out at all. So a good night if you're dressed as a flasher, not so good if you're a princess or Spider-Man.

Back in 1997 Halloween featured four inches of heavy, wet snow. I remember it well. One of my best friend's mother sadly lost her fight against cancer on October 29.

I was tapped to be a pall bearer. For those of you who have performed this duty, you know how sad, solemn and physically difficult it can be. Caskets weigh about as much as a refrigerator. I don't know how pall bearers are able to place them on their shoulders as they do according to custom in other places. Often coffins borne that way are, well, coffins not caskets. The coffin is the six sided box Dracula would sleep in while caskets are rectangular. Maybe they are lighter.

A pall bearer should be dressed up. In fact, in my humble opinion, every attendee at a funeral should make a proud effort to look their best. When I attended the funeral of the daughter of my friend in Brooklyn, she asked me my opinion on what her daughter should wear in her casket. She suggested, as her daughter was a 30 year old woman who was vivacious and fun loving a t-shirt and denim shorts might be fitting. I told my friend that, if she was ever in charge of what I should wear to my own funeral, she should really ask others for help. A black cocktail dress was in her closet and that worked out for the best. No one should be the worst dressed person at their own funeral.

But back to being a pall bearer. As I explained, Halloween 1997 was a peculiarly cold and snowy day. I wore a blue wolf suit, white shirt and deep red tie. Black leather dress shoes and matching socks.

Black leather dress shoes are not the footwear ready to walk along a snowy hillside, especially when bearing the weight of a casket. The hearse pulled up along the cemetery road as close to the grave as possible. The pall bearers got out of the limousine (third car back in the funeral cortège). We lined up at the rear hatch of the hearse and lifted the casket from the vehicle. As soon as our collective feet stepped upon that slick, icy snow, we knew we had a situation on our hands.

We slipped and slid our way up the slope to the canopy erected to shelter the funeral party and gently laid the casket on a waiting catafalque. I was never so relieved that no one fell or, worse, dropped anything.

When we got back downtown to the reception, I did manage to slip and fall on the marble floor of the reception center. I was overdue to find myself on my butt that day.

I hope you didn't injure yourself. And I have a couple of great nieces that I really REALLY hope don't choose their own funeral outfits. :)

Seriously, there was something indeed that offered a sense of closure in the days of caskets and formal funerals. These days most are quickly cremated with a memorial service held sometimes weeks later. And those generally are fairly informal affairs and seem more like social occasions and are relatively informal. They don't offer the same sense of closure to me.

No way!
Too high :biggrin:
I'd get to that 3rd step and start to shake.

The enclosed stairwell wouldn't bother me though I would demand handrails. But these days I don't want any steps. And I would worry about fire. No quick way out of there that I can see.

A

But back to being a pall bearer. As I explained, Halloween 1997 was a peculiarly cold and snowy day. I wore a blue wolf suit, white shirt and deep red tie. Black leather dress shoes and matching socks.

I hope you didn't injure yourself. And I have a couple of great nieces that I really REALLY hope don't choose their own funeral outfits. :)

Seriously, there was something indeed that offered a sense of closure in the days of caskets and formal funerals. These days most are quickly cremated with a memorial service held sometimes weeks later. And those generally are fairly informal affairs and seem more like social occasions and are relatively informal. They don't offer the same sense of closure to me.
When I went to Brooklyn for the funeral I was not a stranger to the family or the area. I spent several months there working on a project that my friend's husband had coordinated. When he passed away in the summer of 2007, I unfortunately could not attend his funeral. But when their daughter died in late November of 2013 I dropped everything to get there.

It was fascinating to note the differences in the funeral customs of Brooklynites and East Liverpudlians. Here a funeral home is generally an old, stately house repurposed as a funeral parlor. Parlor being the operative word. Tastefully decorated with plush carpeting, wide baseboards and trim, wallpaper and brass chandeliers the local funeral parlors evoke a warm, homey feel.

Flower arraignments are placed around the room and soft, comforting background music can be faintly heard. Visitors speak in hushed tones, pay their respects at the casket and retire with a cup of coffee to remember and reminisce.

The funeral home in Brooklyn was a bespoke building, designed as a funeral home. There was a comfortable lobby with a gas fireplace and armchairs arrayed in comfortable groups. Six rooms radiated from the lobby where the departed were laid out.

Her casket laid in front of deep red velvet drapes. A two foot tall brass cross hung from the draperies. The casket was a two lidded model with the half covering the lower half of her body closed. A rosary of petite pink rosebuds was draped along the open half of the lid.

Other flower arraignments caught my eye. The floral tributes were big, imposing things. One was shaped as a butterfly in yellow, orange and black chrysanthemums. It stood on a support seven feet tall and lined with palm fronds. Another was a broken heart four feet wide and again hung from a support so it loomed over the scene. Crosses, more hearts and other shapes made the view look more like a Rose Bowl float than the simple, Calvinist flowers found at our local funerals.

There were brass stands with clips that were shaped as human hands to which envelopes were attached. I had never seen anything like them before.

The whole affair began at 5:30 in the evening and was finished at 9:30 the same night. Here, a funeral is a three day affair. Family Night is the first evening, usually from 6:00 to 9:00. The second night is for friends and acquaintances again three hours long. The actual burial is on day three with a service at the funeral parlor. Then a graveside service followed by a modest affair we refer to as the wake.

In Brooklyn, all that is compressed into one long grueling night i and my friend found exhausting. It's those little differences I find fascinating. I'm glad I was able to comfort my friend in that time of sorrow. But those customs were strange and a bit confusing for a Son of the Ohio Valley.

No way!
Soooooo, I assume climbing a 40 foot ladder is a no-go?

Kind of makes you wonder. I mean you're going to die at step four or above anyways.

It's an embarrassing phobia. :biggrin:
When I was 29 still living in Calif. I went to see the Mission San Juan Capistrano.
I managed the stairs to the 2nd floor and walk out onto the balcony .
It was beautiful to look at the alter, then made the mistake of looking down. :)
My legs got so shaky that I had to sit down and crawl back through the doorway.
I was so embarrassed that I could not get out of there fast enough.
I've never been back by the way.
It is a very beautiful Missionary though and I'm glad I saw it.
I won't even get into what happened the 1st time I saw the grand canyon at 17.:biggrin:

Well...just got off the phone with the GI doc's assistant. Looks like they are aiming for December for the endoscopy/colonoscopy. And I had to call THEM just to get that info. No date set yet though. Arrrgh.

Almost done with binge-ing Vikings. On Season 5, episode 10. 9 more to go. Will be done by tonight.

I've been rethinking Arizona. But I worry about the medical assistance they offer to low income folks. I tried googling it, but there are so many links I get overwhelmed and still am confused about if they would cover us in some sort of assistance. Medicare is all over, but we also have California Health And Wellness...which covers everything else. And it doesn't cost us anything. If we did come to Az, we would be in St David? Which is 6 miles out of Benson....or so my SIL said.
Anyway...I read an article this morning about the probs with Cali...and it was spot on. I am going to find it if I can and post a link.

No way!
Soooooo, I assume climbing a 40 foot ladder is a no-go?

Kind of makes you wonder. I mean you're going to die at step four or above anyways.

It's an embarrassing phobia. :biggrin:
When I was 29 still living in Calif. I went to see the Mission San Juan Capistrano.
I managed the stairs to the 2nd floor and walk out onto the balcony .
It was beautiful to look at the alter, then made the mistake of looking down. :)
My legs got so shaky that I had to sit down and crawl back through the doorway.
I was so embarrassed that I could not get out of there fast enough.
I've never been back by the way.
It is a very beautiful Missionary though and I'm glad I saw it.
I won't even get into what happened the 1st time I saw the grand canyon at 17.:biggrin:
Oh, I hear you about the Grand Canyon. First time I saw it..I had to sit. Got so dizzy it was pathetic. That was enough for me, lol.

Forum List

Back