USMB Coffee Shop IV

Morning folks! Today is National Chicken Wing Day. I know one place (a familiar place ... :D) that is offering All-U-Can-Eat wings just for today at $12.99. At that price, it's a steal. I know where I'm having lunch today...:thup:

National-Chicken-Wing-Day-July-29.jpg

Life is good. In my area there is a place that has chicken wing specials every Tuesday. Now I have to go :D

Morning folks! Today is National Chicken Wing Day. I know one place (a familiar place ... :D) that is offering All-U-Can-Eat wings just for today at $12.99. At that price, it's a steal. I know where I'm having lunch today...:thup:

Jugs I swear you make these things up... hey when is national Eggplant Parmesean day? Soon I hope.

Have to admit I've never ever understood the whole wing thing. Out of all the parts of a chicken, centering on the smallest, scrawniest, boniest, least-meatiest piece makes no sense when you've got luscious legs... breasts... thighs... what happens to all the remaining parts while we obsess over wings anyway? Is there some alternate universe where they have leg days and breast days with what we don't use?

I dunno, it's like when they tried to market "thin crust pizza" -- as if less food for the same price is more attractive. :confused:

Last edited:
So, the first vacation day with my sweet little daughter has now come to an end. 22 more days to go. I wish was more like 22 million.

She came to me more than one inch taller than when I saw her at the end of last month and my, oh my, that kid is developing long legs. Yepp, Papa is going to need to buy a shotgun, I see.

She brought me a gift from Spain: a keychain with a Salamander as a lucky charm. Now you all know something about me that no one knows in USMB: I like Salamanders and I like to collect them as things like pics, doodads and knick-knacks, and now, as a key-chain.

For the first time, I suggest that my daughter go into the kitchen and get everything ready to fix lunch (which is often the main meal in Castle Statistikhengst), and she was all fire and flame to do it.

Then we went swimming and for the first time, she WANTED to do laps. Thank you, thank you all my german friends who kept telling me to just be patient and let her decide at her own pace how to deal with water. She now dives deep underwater to pick up objects from the bottom and can tread water well. I was going to sign her up for a week long extra swimming course, but based on what I saw today, that won't be necessary. We will surely go swimming at least 10 more times this vacation.

When we got home, I explained to her that 15 minutes of reading time is now part of the vacation program. I grabbed a book, sat next to her on the couch and simply started to read (a Star Trek novel). A couple of minutes later, she came back with a book in English (Miffy goes to School) and started reading. The evening ended with a roaring Barbie Film, because we all know that's what Daddy dudes just love to watch. :rofl:

What an absolute joy. Tomorrow we are going to a small amusement attraction (the Germans call it a KIRMES) in a city called Düren. Looks like it will be fun. Tomorrow is therefore cotton candy day.

Trips are planned for Legoland, Phantasialand, Disney-Paris, a number of huge indoor/outdoor playgrounds, one camping overnighter to a planetary observatorium so that she can look through a huge telescope. And some new friends are supposed to visit us. :D
[MENTION=36767]Bloodrock44[/MENTION] :thup:

and with that, I am now off to bed... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz................ no energy to argue politics with people today.....powered out...... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........

Watch those new friends and keep an eye on your silverware.

Not to mention the icebox!

I'll trade ya a crop of weeds for some blackberries........... :D

Did I mention what the only thing I have more than blackberries is? :eusa_hand:

I planted 4 eggplant plants and they have been very prolific. I'm the only one that likes eggplant....so I'm having to eat one every day......and still, many will have to go into the compost bin.

i have the same thing with my zuchinni. i have 3 plants and get about 4 squash per day.

I planted 4 eggplant plants and they have been very prolific. I'm the only one that likes eggplant....so I'm having to eat one every day......and still, many will have to go into the compost bin.

i have the same thing with my zuchinni. i have 3 plants and get about 4 squash per day.
The zuchinni flowers are also edible. You can create a simple stuffing with egg, ham, and bread crumbs. They are quite good when stuffed and fried.

Mayo, taco sauce, cayenne pepper and horseradish in proper proportion on an onion ring!
That sounds good. Would also like to try that on a blooming onion. It's an appetizer that you get at places like The Outback. They provide a sauce, but I'll bet your spicy horseradish mayo with taco sauce and cayenne pepper would be better...:thup:

Actually the same. Hint. Hint. Nudge. Nudge.

Jugs I swear you make these things up... hey when is national Eggplant Parmesean day? Soon I hope.

Have to admit I've never ever understood the whole wing thing. Out of all the parts of a chicken, centering on the smallest, scrawniest, boniest, least-meatiest piece makes no sense when you've got luscious legs... breasts... thighs... what happens to all the remaining parts while we obsess over wings anyway? Is there some alternate universe where they have leg days and breast days with what we don't use?

I dunno, it's like when they tried to market "thin crust pizza" -- as if less food for the same price is more attractive. :confused:

I do prefer the thighs myself. As far as thin crust pizza goes I am a fan of crispy over doughy.

I planted chocolate aguga for a customer years ago. Far as I know, they never got chocolate.

The zuchinni flowers are also edible. You can create a simple stuffing with egg, ham, and bread crumbs. They are quite good when stuffed and fried.
Pop was a great gardener. He would put in 48 tomato plants (24 staked, 24 caged), rows of green beans, bell peppers, cabbages, onions (both green and sweet), potatoes (new/red) and squash. This meant Mom would then be chained to the stove covered with pots of boiling water and glass Mason jars until her hair looked more like a helmet as she sweated it out. Our pantry was stocked every Autumn.

One year Pop put in his cabbages and Brussels Sprouts. A mistake at the feed store gave us 48 Brussels Sprouts plants instead of 24 cabbages and two dozen Brussels Sprouts. I share a dislike of Brussels Sprouts with my brother. There were many un used freezer bags of Sprouts that year.

As for me, everything I plant is strictly for show. The lawn at the Luxurious Pimplebutt Estate is about the size of a magazine and therefore too small for a vegetable garden.

Unfortunately there is no Eggplant Parmesan Day, but there is a National Eggplant Day. It falls on September 25...:thup:

As for the All-U-Can-Eat chicken wings for $12.99, it's a steal of a deal, and here's the place that's offering this one time deal ...

All U Can Eat Wings $12.99 Only On National Chicken Wing Day

I always have the breaded wings with 911 sauce ... :thup:

Ummm, I love all veggies, except carrots. I will eat them raw but not cooked. ( cooking brings out the sweet flavor of them and I only like sweet-tasting foods in desserts )

I love eggplant too, Mertex. I like it sliced, dipped in egg, then dipped and coated in crispy cracker or bread crumbs and pan sauteed in butter. ( back in the day ) :lol:

I LOVE all squash and zucchini, and enjoy those with garlic salt and butter after slicing it fairly thick and boiling in a small amount of water, until they are al dente. Sometimes I like to sprinkle Parmesan cheese on all the above. So many ways to prepare these great nutritious foods.

Cruciferous veggies, I also LOVE. :thup:

I will never order wings at a restaurant, I refuse to pay that much money for something that costs that little to make. Also the main reason I never order appetizers unless their doing a half price, then you're almost getting your moneys worth........

Good morning all. I was just getting ready to sit down to the computer and sign off with the vigil list when we lost power last night. Not knowing how long it would be I just went to bed. There had been no changes from the night before.

As for chicken wings, we prefer them as the most flavorful part of the chicken so we buy them a lot--either the little peg legs or the whole wings. And I usually either bread and fry them or bar-b-que them but we never buy them. Just make our own.

A little light rain over night and a chance for more today. And we are enjoying cooler weather in the mid to upper 80's which quite pleasant for this time of year.

Hombre is scheduled for another surgery tomorrow so I'm trying to get two days of chores done today. He's certainly not looking forward to it, but this cancer is a teensy little one that they caught right away so hopefully it won't take much to deal with it. But it will require most of the day at the surgery clinic.

So everybody have a great Tuesday for now.

On this day in history July 29. . .

In 1981 – Charles, Prince of Wales, and Lady Diana Spencer were married at St. Paul's Cathedral in London. It was the most famous and most watched wedding in all of history with a worldwide television audience of an estimated 1 billion people. Needless to say, it was an event of which story books are written but as we all know did not result in happily ever after or have a story book ending. We will hope a much happier life for William and Kate.

PRINCE-CHARLES-AND-LADY-D-007.jpg

Also on this day in 1987 – British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher and President of France François Mitterrand sign the agreement to build the Eurotunnel under the English Channel or as affectionately known, the 'Chunnel'. Construction would not begin until 1988 and it would be completed on time in October 1990. It was an amazing engineering feat culminating a vision that had actually been on the drawing boards over the years since 1802.

I wonder if I ever told you the story of how I wound up in a Puerto Rican hospital? It was only one night, for observation, but it was a different experience than what I anticipated.

I had a project at the Naval Air Station Roosevelt Roads in lovely Cieba, Puerto Rico. I was there for 18 months. My job was to find out why the three waste water (sewage treatment plants) were treating 5 million gallons a day between them on sunny days and 12.5 million gallons on rainy days. There must have been a leak or two that let in all that rain water. It's expensive to treat 5 million gallons daily, let alone treat rainfall too, especially in a rainy climate like the northern Caribbean.

So, I went to work to find the problems. Every day I video taped sewer lines looking for cracks and root infestation. I inspected manholes for leaks. I assessed the pavement to assure the run off from the roads and streets did not guide excess water into the systems. And yes, my Ohio bound friends and colleagues thought I was off to some exotic place living la vida loco and luxuriating in the bright lights and glamor of sunny Puerto Rico.

The United States Navy owns the base. I have all the respect in the world for the sailors and officers and Marines stationed there. But the Navy itself is a notoriously bad land lord. The Navy uses every square inch of the massive base, until they don't. And when the Navy is finished, they just walk away.

The Navy walked away from one area that uses up about 3/4 square miles of the base back after VE Day in 1945. The foundations of the buildings used in that era were still intact, but little else. The vacant buildings were being taken over by the tropical jungle. This meant that floor drains and sewer connections were out in the open, sucking up rainfall and channeling it into the sewer system. I thought that I found the Machu Piccu of sewer infiltration! As I looked around this long lost area of Navy buildings built to defend the Panama Canal, I noted every inlet I could see. But it was the uncovered manhole I could not see that landed me in sick bay.

I had a native Puerto Rican with me to act as scribe and jungle guide. The only common language between us was baseball and we exchanged line ups from our favorite MLB teams. I was reciting the Pirates starting line up from their World Championship season of 1979. As I recalled Al Oliver, I looked over my shoulder and took one too many steps. It was just how Wile E. Coyote planned it for the roadrunner. The manhole cover had been off since the Eisenhower administration and the jungle had covered it with palm fronds. One too many steps and down goes Nosmo!

I fell forward and caught the concrete lip of the manhole with my rib cage. Not able to secure a grip with my side, I slid down into the manhole, six and a half feet deep. And that's where the Navy EMS crew found me 45 minutes later. My Puerto Rican guide assured me he would be right back with help, or he was reciting the Atlanta Braves 1988 starting line up, I could not be sure.

Those horse collar lifting apparatuses used by the Coast Guard and Navy rescue crews are effective and quick whenever they rescue folks without broken ribs. I can tell you that the horse collar gizmo can be regarded as a means of torture should you have a broken rib cage when used properly.

But, out I came, bruised, battered and sore. Off to the hospital for x-rays confirming what I already knew, I had three ribs broken and a lump on the back of my noggin that concerned the hospital staff. The next day, I was released and told by EVERYONE from the medicos at the hospital to my boss in Pittsburgh to take it easy for a couple days. There was a hammock near my apartment there and a guy selling iced cold cocoanuts to which rum could be added easily. I took everyone's advice and stayed put.

Forum List

Back