USMB Coffee Shop IV

Beautress, my friends who have had the surgery all said the same thing: the rehab is no fun at all, but do your exercise and follow the doctor's orders, and you will never regret having it done. When it's all over, the only thing people have said to me is they wished they'd done it sooner.

Lots of prayers and good thoughts for your recovery.

I was 26 years old when Canada went metric. I have a foot in both worlds, but I still default to Imperial. My weather app is set to Fahrenheit, but I speak Celsius. I cook in cups, and tablespoons, but I buy groceries weighed in grams and kilos. I sew in feet and inches, but buy fabric by the metre. Our highways signs are in kilometers, not miles, but we live 30 minutes from Niagara Falls.

Last weekend it was so hot I was nearly fainting. High 90's and really humid. It was the May 2-4 weekend, officially Victoria Day (Queen Victoria's birthday is May 24th), but it's first official weekend of going to the beach with a 2-4 (case) of beer, having a beer at the cottage, or hanging out with friends and a beer hence the May 2-4 weekend. I don't drink beer. At my house, it's Marguerita Weekend, and it's also my birthday

The local in-town greenhouse is closed on Sundays. We could go outside of town and find lots of places open, but I respect a small town business where the owners practice their faith. Half the county is under glass. No joke. This is "Foodland Ontario", also "flowerland". We supply all of Ontario and a lot of upstate New York with fresh flowers, and nursery stock. Not to mention licensed Marijuana cultivation.

Beautress, my friends who have had the surgery all said the same thing: the rehab is no fun at all, but do your exercise and follow the doctor's orders, and you will never regret having it done. When it's all over, the only thing people have said to me is they wished they'd done it sooner.

I was 26 years old when Canada went metric. I have a foot in both worlds, but I still default to Imperial. My weather app is set to Fahrenheit, but I speak Celsius. I cook in cups, and tablespoons, but I buy groceries weighed in grams and kilos. I sew in feet and inches, but buy fabric by the metre. Our highways signs are in kilometers, not miles, but we live 30 minutes from Niagara Falls.

Last weekend it was so hot I was nearly fainting. High 90's and really humid. It was the May 2-4 weekend, officially Victoria Day (Queen Victoria's birthday is May 24th), but it's first official weekend of going to the beach with a 2-4 (case) of beer, having a beer at the cottage, or hanging out with friends and a beer hence the May 2-4 weekend. I don't drink beer. At my house, it's Marguerita Weekend, and it's also my birthday

The local in-town greenhouse is closed on Sundays. We could go outside of town and find lots of places open, but I respect a small town business where the owners practice their faith. Half the county is under glass. No joke. This is "Foodland Ontario", also "flowerland". We supply all of Ontario and a lot of upstate New York with fresh flowers, and nursery stock. Not to mention licensed Marijuana cultivation.
Thanks. Dragonlady. I'm taking it easy today but every 18 stitches on my recent dishrag-making earlier I lifted till it hurt. then lowered and resumed crocheting 18 more, size 10 thread. They take a lot of time but are well worth it. It takes a week or better to finish it but is well worth it. I can't stand bamboo dishrags, and that's the only stuff I can get in the bargain stores nearby.

I got tired of hurting and decided to put my feet up and come here. The greenhouses in your area sound wonderful. We went on the Oriental Express years across Canada years ago with the American Historical Society stopping here and there. We traversed from Ontario to Vancouver about the time the tamaracs turn gold and the geese train their younguns to fly distances for a few days. We saw the Capitol, Lake Louise, and too many Kodak moments to write about here. We spent 9 days visiting tribal and antique Train museums, a quilt show in a supermansion built in the Colonial era, and lovely shops in almost every city plus a view from one of the tallest towers in North America. Good job, Canada!

Last edited:

Thanks. Dragonlady. I'm taking it easy today but every 18 stitches on my recent dishrag-making earlier I lifted till it hurt. then lowered and resumed crocheting 18 more, size 10 thread. They take a lot of time but are well worth it. It takes a week or better to finish it but is well worth it. I can't stand bamboo dishrags, and that's the only stuff I can get in the bargain stores nearby.

I got tired of hurting and decided to put my feet up and come here. The greenhouses in your area sound wonderful. We went on the Oriental Express years across Canada years ago with the American Historical Society stopping here and there. We traversed from Ontario to Vancouver about the time the tamaracs turn gold and the geese train their younguns to fly distances for a few days. We saw the Capitol, Lake Louise, and too many Kodak moments to write about here. Good job, Canada!

Yeah, there are a lot of family owned nurseries here, as well as some large commercial places. One of the big commercial operations had a fire destroy their main greenhouse on one of their farms, and it covered 40 acres. They immediately bought a nearby farm with 60 acres, under glass to meet their orders on time.

The farmer's market here is to die for!!!! There are certain farmers that all the fall fair champions here buy their strawberries, and and other fruit from from to make their jams and preserves. I know who they are. There's also a native man who makes fresh bannock (native pan fried bread), in various flavors, on Saturdays. It makes such a great breakfast treat.

The summer we moved out here, my daughter was dropping off a load of boxes at the house and picked up a basket of fresh peaches on the way home. We each ate about 6 peaches hanging over the kitchen sink with juice running down our arms.

Boring weekend doing siding repair and some replacement in preparation for painting entire house, second garage and shed.
So far most is in good shape, but a lot of surface area to cover.
I work as a carpenter and remodeler as a trade and I hate doing Homework. Lol.

Boring weekend doing siding repair and some replacement in preparation for painting entire house, second garage and shed.

I was married to a carpenter. My neighbour's husband was a contractor. Neither of us could get our husbands to do work on OUR houses. We figured I could hire her husband, and she could hire mine. The bills would be a wash, but at least we'd get SOMETHING done.

I got tired of hurting and decided to put my feet up and come here. The greenhouses in your area sound wonderful. We went on the Oriental Express years across Canada years ago with the American Historical Society stopping here and there. We traversed from Ontario to Vancouver about the time the tamaracs turn gold and the geese train their younguns to fly distances for a few days. We saw the Capitol, Lake Louise, and too many Kodak moments to write about here. Good job, Canada!

Yeah, there are a lot of family owned nurseries here, as well as some large commercial places. One of the big commercial operations had a fire destroy their main greenhouse on one of their farms, and it covered 40 acres. They immediately bought a nearby farm with 60 acres, under glass to meet their orders on time.

The farmer's market here is to die for!!!! There are certain farmers that all the fall fair champions here buy their strawberries, and and other fruit from from to make their jams and preserves. I know who they are. There's also a native man who makes fresh bannock (native pan fried bread), in various flavors, on Saturdays. It makes such a great breakfast treat.

The summer we moved out here, my daughter was dropping off a load of boxes at the house and picked up a basket of fresh peaches on the way home. We each ate about 6 peaches hanging over the kitchen sink with juice running down our arms.
I love really good memories like that. We lived in the Willamette Valley, Oregon four years. It is truly a fruit bowl of great cherries, blackberries, gooseberries, blueberries, strawberries, and everything else. The kids picked and sold blackberries, 80 gallons for our kitchen and the freezer. It was something!

I bet your markets have top quality fruits and vegetables. I saw some of the vineyards on another trip and lots of nature's beauty.

I love really good memories like that. We lived in the Willamette Valley, Oregon four years. It is truly a fruit bowl of great cherries, blackberries, gooseberries, blueberries, strawberries, and everything else. The kids picked and sold blackberries, 80 gallons for our kitchen and the freezer. It was something!

I bet your markets have top quality fruits and vegetables. I saw some of the vineyards on another trip and lots of nature's beauty.

These are berries I got from the market two years ago. They were sweet like candy.

2D55812F-B741-49FE-B315-73B8391546D9.jpeg

Sounds like you have a beautiful place there, Petro. And that work will keep it dry in foul weather.

I was married to a carpenter. My neighbour's husband was a contractor. Neither of us could get our husbands to do work on OUR houses. We figured I could hire her husband, and she could hire mine. The bills would be a wash, but at least we'd get SOMETHING done.
It's the same old story though. The artist's spouse has no paintings. The chef wants the spouse to do the cooking at home, etc. But your solution looks good to me. :)

Sounds like you have a beautiful place there, Petro. And that work will keep it dry in foul weather.
Just finished scraping a lot of the cedar trim, and priming the bare wood. Still have wood siding so definitely due for new paint.
Built a couple garden boxes out of old pallets for the wife last year. Got the plants in, hoping not too early.
20210529_181427.jpg

Used to have our place in the Gallery before it was lost in the update...
20210529_144852.jpg

Have a little over an acre almost an hour out of Twin Cities.
Our Iris's are in full bloom.
20210529_182152.jpg

I should post that in Gardening, Toro will flip out.

Thankfully I have my banking accounts to show every transaction made by sending me the transaction details via messaging on my iPhone. Just had one pop up for $12.73 at 10:30 PM this evening........ It was only 9:15 PM here and the last time I used that online account was a couple of days ago. Notified the bank, card cancelled and monitored, changed my site password and deleted the payment information from that vendor. The only drawback is I have to wait until Tuesday to get a new card. Normally I do not save my banking information on vendor sites but for some reason I obviously did on this one, won't do that again.

Kinda have my head in the clouds today, might as well go for a drive.

iu

Posted this in The Garage. Since some of you don't get out of the CS much thought I'd share it here.
Figure out how it's done and no, other than being made into a gif it hasn't been edited.

iu

Posted this in The Garage. Since some of you don't get out of the CS much thought I'd share it here.
Figure out how it's done and no, other than being made into a gif it hasn't been edited.
I have heard of it before, a yearly phenomenon when a thin layer of water is on the salt flats in Bolivia....
59349c68378347fb8e30ae279f4736d0.jpg

iu

I have heard of it before, a yearly phenomenon when a thin layer of water is on the salt flats in Bolivia....View attachment 495531
I think this was featured on one of the Weather Channel programs some time back. I seem to recall then talking about the illusion of walking in clouds. Pictures there weren't this clear though.

I got my second vaccine shot Sunday, very little in the way of side effects, thankfully. I'm heading up to GA tomorrow to see the little one.

The Islanders beat the Penguins to get to the second round of the playoffs for the third year in a row. They haven't won a playoff series for 3 years in a row since the 80s.

I'm wrapping presents for the little one and getting some things packed for the long weekend. Just thought I'd pop in and say hi, I don't know how much I'll be on USMB for the next few days. :)
Have a good trip Montro. I assume it's the little one's birthday?
Yes, it’s her birthday.

Sadly, she’s turning 12 and not really little anymore. I’m not her parent, but I expect I feel the same way a lot of parents do with her growing up; like I’m losing her. It’s a little different for me, since to some extent I really did lose her when I stopped being her nanny, plus I ended up in a different state. It makes me sad.
She’s still happy to see me, though, and we still get along, but I miss when she was really little.

I got my second vaccine shot Sunday, very little in the way of side effects, thankfully. I'm heading up to GA tomorrow to see the little one.

The Islanders beat the Penguins to get to the second round of the playoffs for the third year in a row. They haven't won a playoff series for 3 years in a row since the 80s.

I'm wrapping presents for the little one and getting some things packed for the long weekend. Just thought I'd pop in and say hi, I don't know how much I'll be on USMB for the next few days. :)
Have a good trip Montro. I assume it's the little one's birthday?
Yes, it’s her birthday.

Sadly, she’s turning 12 and not really little anymore. I’m not her parent, but I expect I feel the same way a lot of parents do with her growing up; like I’m losing her. It’s a little different for me, since to some extent I really did lose her when I stopped being her nanny, plus I ended up in a different state. It makes me sad.
She’s still happy to see me, though, and we still get along, but I miss when she was really little.
We all feel like we sort of have grown up with her. Like saveliberty 's granddaughter, Harper, the inspiration for our vigil list when she was born with all kinds of problems requiring surgical correction. She is now a beautiful young lady.

Forum List

Back