USMB Coffee Shop IV

And, today's Monday coffee funnies:

monday-coffee-cat.jpg

[MENTION=43625]Mertex[/MENTION]

Monday-Coffee-Cup-Wicket-Witch-shutterstock_5F00_70543624.jpg_2D00_550x0.jpg

0201disappointment-to-me%2Bby%2BTodd%2BZapoli.jpg

Toledo mayor: System safe, but water advisory remains in effect

Toledo Mayor D. Michael Collins opened a rare, 3 a.m. news conference today by emphatically stating on a couple of occasions it is "my decision" to keep the advisory against drinking the city's tap water or returning to normal usage operations in effect until further notice, even though the latest test results from the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency suggest the algae-induced toxin has probably dissipated to safe levels by now.

"It is my decision to keep the status quo in effect for at least the next five or six hours," Mr. Collins said, explaining he was still not comfortable with results he was getting in two undisclosed parts of the city from tests performed by the city's own chemists inside Toledo's Collins Park Water Treatment Plant.

"Two tests came back too close for comfort for me," he added.

Toledo mayor: System safe, but water advisory remains in effect - Toledo Blade

Okay with me really. I'd rather have him sure before lifting the advisory.

Fire, police and high school volunteers are delivering water now to seniors and other people who can't get out. It's inspiring really and Kasige may jump on this now that it is a crisis. I mean, shouldn't our drinking water be a priority everywhere?

It's morning. That's about all I have to say about it. Woke up several times last night with a painful left leg. Woke up this morning at 0550 because of the pain. Can't figure out what's going on with it. It just hurts. After I've been up for a while the pain will go away and it doesn't usually return until around midnight when I'm in bed. I have an appointment with my doctor for Aug 13th. I think I'm going to ask him to saw it off and learn how to hop around on one leg. At least then it wouldn't hurt. I hate it when anything is wrong with me. Makes me grumpy and a bit on the irritable side. Here lately when Taco sees me he runs. Going to have some more coffee and sulk.

It's morning. That's about all I have to say about it. Woke up several times last night with a painful left leg. Woke up this morning at 0550 because of the pain. Can't figure out what's going on with it. It just hurts. After I've been up for a while the pain will go away and it doesn't usually return until around midnight when I'm in bed. I have an appointment with my doctor for Aug 13th. I think I'm going to ask him to saw it off and learn how to hop around on one leg. At least then it wouldn't hurt. I hate it when anything is wrong with me. Makes me grumpy and a bit on the irritable side. Here lately when Taco sees me he runs. Going to have some more coffee and sulk.

Hope you get to feeling better, BDD.

What a weekend! I took Friday off to finalize everything I have to do chore-wise each weekend. I did two loads of laundry, mopped the tile in the front foyer, kitchen and bath, walked and bathed the Mutt, ran to the bank, bought the last of the Pig Roast supplies, packed a bag with extra clothes and then drove to my friend's home in Austintown.

There, my brother and I put the 110 pound pig on the spit, stuffed with grilled chicken breasts and out own mixture of salt and garlic, pitched a tent on his lawn, paid him for the port-a-johns (which are luxury models equipped with lights, air fresheners and hand sanitizer) and then I proceeded to drink draught beer and swap lies with my friends.

We got the pig on to cook at 8:15 the next morning and all was well. The rain did not start until the pig was fully cooked. Not only did weather disturb our cooking, but it drove down the turnout considerably. We schlepped the cooked pig still on its spit to a canopy where we could cut the beast up into edible meat. And just as I was picking the last few scraps from the shoulders, the sun came out!

All told, about 150 people showed up an hour after the original dinner bell was rung. Everyone had a great time.

Yesterday I attended a mighty wake for one of my high school classmates. He suffered with brain cancer and passed away last Wednesday morning. Song, tears, laughter, stories, more tears, more laughter and more songs all lubricated with those tiny airline sized bottles of his favorite beverage~ Jack Daniel's made for quite a scene. There were twice as many folks at the wake than the pig roast.

The wake was scheduled for 1:00 Sunday. My friend (known to all of his buddies as Rat) was a huge Steeler fan. The obituary said it was to be a "Celebration of Life". So, the occasion, the timing on a Sunday afternoon, our shared enthusiasm for all things Black and Gold meant most of the celebrants there were wearing Steeler's jerseys.

The venue was the same place I had roasted a pig 35 years earlier. It was the old Shrine Club. But a family here in town won the lottery 25 years ago. Their take was 1.25 million a year (after taxes) and this is the last year of their winnings. They invested in the Shrine Club and turned it into a first class banquet center. They renamed the site Three Blessings. It is non-denominational to the point of being strictly secular. I'm guessing that one of the three blessings is the one from the scratch off ticket sold by the State of Ohio.

It was a bitter sweet scene and a perfect tribute to my dear old friend and his family.

Another great morning! I was thinking how when I was younger, I used to worry about accomplishing enough in my life, preparing for my old age, and living as long as I can. The older I get, the less I worry about those things and just try to enjoy the day. And I'm a lot happier about it.

The better half is up and moving around, and we will go to the gym in a bit.

We try to walk every day two to three miles at least once a day, and do a circuit alternating weights and step ups at least three times a week.

I have just finished watching the last episode of Breaking Bad. I recommend the series to anyone that likes extreme drama.

Forum List

Back