USMB Coffee Shop IV

I have been so bored I did something I never thought I would do tonight I actually tried to watch some of sharknado 2 I got through a whole thirty seconds before I had to switch to the paint drying channel.

Wow. If there's a trophy for the most bored category, I think you might have won it. LOL. There are some movies that I just can't get into--I haven't tried that one but I am sure it would be one--and I get frustrated that others seems to enjoy them. Ocean Twelve was one of those movies. I have tried to watch it but paint drying is just more interesting to me.

Wondering if Foxy's OK. No vigil list last night, no post since early evening...

Thanks Sweetie. I'm fine. I just fell asleep on the couch and when I woke up at 2:30 a.m. and went to bed, I didn't have computer on my mind. No changes in the Vigil list since night before last though. . .

And good morning all. Very humid (55%) and watery looking clouds around today and we're under a flash flood watch so hoping for some more rain before high pressure builds in again by mid week. One of you asked if we have had drought busting weather yet and officially no, not yet--we're still rated as in drought but no longer of the exceptional or extreme variety if this keeps up. We're having a good monsoon season for the first time in a long time.

The 'guest of honor', the reason we had the Pig Roast this years is my friend's daughter Amanda. She just graduated from tiny Thiel College in northwestern Pennsylvania. Amanda made Dean's List every semester but one and now is embarking on her graduate studies at Marymount University in Arlington, Virginia. She is pursuing a career in forensic phycology. Amanda has sat before psychopathic folks and got up to tell the tale.

She is tall, absolutely drop dead gorgeous with a sweet face that shows off all the features that made her cute when she was a child. Big blue eyes and a cupid's bow mouth framed by dimples, sweet apple cheeks and an easy laugh make her as lovely as a young woman can be. I gave her a card filled with cash and signed it 'you're the one I'm going to borrow money from when I'm elderly'.

I wish her all the luck in the world and I hope she has room for me should I wish to visit our nation's capitol in the near future. Of all the east coast cities I have become intimately familiar with over the past thirty odd years, Washington D.C. remains a relative mystery to me. I've changed planes at the airport, I've driven around the city on the labyrinth of beltways, but not since I was a child of 10 back in 1967 have my feet hit D.C. sidewalks. Me and Foggy Bottom are strangers.

But now that Amanda is moving there, perhaps I can tag along on a parental visit so I can get a front row seat for the circus we call federal government.

I have been so bored I did something I never thought I would do tonight I actually tried to watch some of sharknado 2 I got through a whole thirty seconds before I had to switch to the paint drying channel.

Wow. If there's a trophy for the most bored category, I think you might have won it. LOL. There are some movies that I just can't get into--I haven't tried that one but I am sure it would be one--and I get frustrated that others seems to enjoy them. Ocean Twelve was one of those movies. I have tried to watch it but paint drying is just more interesting to me.

Wow, Mom O'Fox --- even *I* liked Ocean's Twelve. You betta get your cinematic nerve checked. :eusa_shifty:

The 'guest of honor', the reason we had the Pig Roast this years is my friend's daughter Amanda. She just graduated from tiny Thiel College in northwestern Pennsylvania. Amanda made Dean's List every semester but one and now is embarking on her graduate studies at Marymount University in Arlington, Virginia. She is pursuing a career in forensic phycology. Amanda has sat before psychopathic folks and got up to tell the tale.

She is tall, absolutely drop dead gorgeous with a sweet face that shows off all the features that made her cute when she was a child. Big blue eyes and a cupid's bow mouth framed by dimples, sweet apple cheeks and an easy laugh make her as lovely as a young woman can be. I gave her a card filled with cash and signed it 'you're the one I'm going to borrow money from when I'm elderly'.

I wish her all the luck in the world and I hope she has room for me should I wish to visit our nation's capitol in the near future. Of all the east coast cities I have become intimately familiar with over the past thirty odd years, Washington D.C. remains a relative mystery to me. I've changed planes at the airport, I've driven around the city on the labyrinth of beltways, but not since I was a child of 10 back in 1967 have my feet hit D.C. sidewalks. Me and Foggy Bottom are strangers.

But now that Amanda is moving there, perhaps I can tag along on a parental visit so I can get a front row seat for the circus we call federal government.

Last time I was in DC John Bolton walked right by me. He was walking toward K street...

Landscaping sometimes takes weird twists and turns. Normally I weed (when I must) it is on land. Have a customer with an over growth of lily pads, so I spent four hours in a lake Sunday. Being next to shore in an area with little wave action, it was filled with about a foot of muck. No snakes fortunately, but a really big brown spider paniced and used me as a plant to escape the water. Ran up my t shirt and across my left cheek. No spider bites.
:eek: I would have been jumping like a Mexican jumping bean.

Oh, and a warm Coffee Shop welcome to [MENTION=45679]Diana1180[/MENTION] who joined us for the first time this morning. Welcome, welcome and join right in. Sometimes takes a few posts before folks know you're a Coffee Shop regular but the more the merrier always. Your first timer's complimentary beverage:

cappuccino.jpg

Oh, and a warm Coffee Shop welcome to [MENTION=45679]Diana1180[/MENTION] who joined us for the first time this morning. Welcome, welcome and join right in. Sometimes takes a few posts before folks know you're a Coffee Shop regular but the more the merrier always. Your first timer's complimentary beverage:

cappuccino.jpg

There you are! Hope all is well.

th

Going to be a busy day.....we didn't get any rain like promised twice by our illustrious weathermen....yep, they all lied....:lol:

Gotta keep going with the landscaping....:eek:

Pictures to come later.....:)

On this day in history, August 4, 1821, the first edition of the Saturday Evening Post was published. It had its historical roots in Benjamin Franklin and "The Pennyslvania Gazette" first published in 1728 and that enjoyed the largest circulation in all the colonies until 1800. Revived as a magazine in 1821 as the Saturday Evening Post, it would become the most widely circulated magazine in America until 1969. Those of us old enough to remember the 50's and 60's probably remember issues on the living room coffee table and we all enjoyed the iconic artistic renditions of Norman Rockwell whose work became famous as Saturday Evening Post covers.

330px-Saturday_evening_post_1903_11_28_a.jpg

norman-rockwell.jpg

15_norman_rockwell.jpg

6082529040_ed55c6ae89_z.jpg

cappuccino.jpg

Thank you thank you.

i like pretty sunsets and long walks on the beach......

That movie is so horrible, it is hilarious.

cappuccino.jpg

Thank you thank you.

i like pretty sunsets and long walks on the beach......

Do you like piña coladas ...?

Good morning all. Sending feel better soon vibes to Stat. I can so empathize--I seem to have an excellent immune system that wards off most uglies going around, but if there is a stomach flu anywhere in a 10-county radius, I'm going to get it.

All the talk about good German bread makes my mouth water. I used to make a decent Bauernbrot from a recipe passed down from my Austrian grandmother, but these days just haven't mustered the patience to make the sour dough starter and then the energy or muscle to make the bread. But now that I'm thinking about it. . . maybe. . .

Hombre had a pretty good night though woke up pretty sore this morning. The graft went well yesterday afternoon and now we go through the 12-day routine of treating the wounds until all is healed up and he's good to go. Hopefully the worst is behind us though we are both tense waiting to hear on the results of the last biopsy. Again thanks for all the prayers and positive vibes everybody. It really does help.

Okay more coffee. Hope everybody, including Stat, is looking forward to a great weekend.

Thanks for the kind wishes, Foxfyre.

Well, the last 5 hours I have spent more on the toilet than anywhere else. Looks like a 24-hour-bug kind of thing. The babysitter who watched my little one yesterday (it was a normal business day) just picked her up so she can go and play some, no need for her to be couped-up just because Papa is crouping. The little one will be back in 2 hours.

I am hopeful that by tomorrow morning, most of this will be gone. But the stomach problem caused a lot of burping that smelled like rotten eggs, something I have never experienced before, ever - so I looked it up. From what I read, there are a number of possible causes, but cutting out anything that can even remotely cause reflux will help, so nix coffee, nix carbonated drinks and nix fatty stuff.

Ugh.

Thought to pass along the Stat-Stomach-Bug-2014 update.

After sitting on the porcelain throne practically all of yesterday and having eaten all of two pieces of dry toast (now, that was exciting), I got the little one into bed at 9 and fell dead in bed at about 10 and slept through till 8.

This morning still meant trips to the porcelain throne, but as the day is wearing on, I note that I am indeed perking up. I took the little one swimming again (damn, is that exhausting if you are coming off a sickness) and her treat afterward was McDonalds. I hate McDonalds, she loves McDonalds. Oh, well, it's vacation. So, we ate there (I had a green salad) about 2 hours ago and I still don't have to visit the porcelain throne, so the prognosis for the rest of the weekend is ok.

But damn, that kind of stuff makes a dude tired!!!

I want to thank the MANY USMB members for the kind thoughts they sent in PM to me - that was really quite heartening.

The little one wants to watch Scooby Doo right now. Yepp, she takes right after her Papa....

Hope you all are having a decidely better weekend than I. :)

Thought to send another update. Day 8 of vacation with my little sweetie.

This morning, at 05:00, I heard my little daughter whimpering in her room. So, I went in right away and she was complaining about her tummy. Great, I thought to myself, now that I am on the mend. So, I gave her a homeopathic solution that is popular in Germany, called "Iberogast" (15 drops in a small glass of water). About 10 minutes later, she puked. To her great credit (and not all small kids do this), she sensed that it was coming and raced to the bathroom, thus saving us both a lot of soiled laundry....

So, we have been up since 05:00, but I had a feeling that this could be a "sympathetic" illness. Kids sometimes do that, even with very real symptoms. So, I filled a hot water bottle and rubbed her tummy some and told her some stories etc... and from 09:00-10:00 she was really quiet. As soon as she was feeling well enough, then our "chill out day" began with going together to the neighborhood Apotheke (Drug Store) to get some friendly advice. The guy who owns the place advised against any kind of Ex-Lax material for children, but rather, to let time do it's thing.

I also ordered a 30-day powder course for me to help get the bacteria in my stomach and intestinal tract back into order and have made a decision to cut out coffee, wine, heavily carbonated beverages and really spicy foods for the duration of the 30-day course. My little one and I then went grocery shopping (I go about every 10 days) and when we got home, she was already feeling better.

For breakfast, at 06:30 this morning, all we had was a chopped up apple and a piece of dried toast apiece, but my body was really craving salad and some soup, so I spoke with her about it and she recommended that we hit the nearby fresh fruit and veggie stand which, as G-d is my witness, has some of the best fresh produce I have ever eaten, ever. So, I bought a big head of lettuce, some tomatoes, a small onion, some paprika, a package of "Suppengrün" (the veggies you would need for homemade chicken soup) and some very fresh strawberries (Erdbeeren). Then we went to the nearby butcher. He is expensive, but good. I bought a chicken, extremely fresh.

We went home and cooked together. So, tonight was a huge green salad and homemade chicken soup with most of the chicken fat scooped off the top. She was starving and ate a nice portion for a young girl. I don't remember a salad ever tasting as good as this one. Surely I have had better made salads in restaurants and such, with more stuff on them, but this one hit the spot. And, I got my daughter turned-on to a water-oil-vinegar based salad dressing, with italian spices. And she just loved it. She ate well without overeating and did not complain about her stomach.

Dessert was a little bit of ice-cream with strawberries, plus she gets a couple of prunes in about 30 minutes to help soften up her stool for the next trip to the restroom. When I explained to her what prunes or prune juice do, she said to me, very loud, in English, "Papa, definitely no eat the pwunes". LOL. What a golden moment.

My daugher has a tendency, like many small children, to hold in their bowel movements for a couple of days, especially when confronted with change. I telephoned with her mother, who confirmed that little Miss Statalina also had constipation twice while on vacation in Spain just a couple of weeks ago.

We are now watching a film-segment about dog grooming and dog training (we have a dog) and she is just thrilled to watch how the dog pros do what they do.

So, the day has been a long, long day, and statalicious "chill out days" aren't exactly the norm, but even today with my daughter has been a real delight.

Hope you all had a good start into your week.

Best thoughts to Sarah G. and those who live in her area to the water emergency in NE Ohio.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back