USMB Coffee Shop IV

Not as little maintenance as you might think. Our whole yard is ceroscaped, but it still requires weeding and clean up. Hombre went out to check this morning and found goathead plants already two feet across because of all the rain. Pulled those and sprayed the other weedlings coming up. And twice a year we have to blow the leaves and debris out of the rock, plus its a landscaping nightmare trying to get the right amount of water and only the right amount of water to desert plants.
A layer of plastic underneath may help with the weeds. Of course something like Weed Stopper is also good, but requires some effort. If there are weeds around the vicinity of the plants (cactus, lantana, oleander...), then the weed spray would need to be plant friendly. I've been lucky so far this year with my lawn, I haven't caught any sprinkler heads with my lawn mower, but destroyed a couple last year. I'd like to desert landscape the entire yard, but Mrs Jughead likes the grass...:)

Stained concrete.........:eusa_whistle:

concrete-stain-1600x1062-design-for-today-seasonal-updates-for-your-yard-or-balcony-urumix.com.jpg
Yup. Now they also have large sized unistone tiles which you can stain to get a wet or shiny look. I'd be willing to guess that the unistone would be cheaper, however the stained concrete does look nice...:thup:

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz
The better half is up and moving around, and we will go to the gym in a bit.

We try to walk every day two to three miles at least once a day, and do a circuit alternating weights and step ups at least three times a week.

I lift weights and jog, but when I'm wiped out and am not up to the regular routine, I just walk 2-3 miles instead. It makes me feel a lot better, like it did today. It's so much better than doing nothing. I like to hike 3-4 hours at least once on the weekend as well, though that's more work than a regular walk obviously.

But a warm Coffee Shop welcome to [MENTION=42588]anukulardecider[/MENTION]--we'll definitely have to call him AD :)--who joined us for the first time this afternoon. Be sure to read over the OP and get the gist of what we're all about in the CS and then drag up a chair and settle in. After a few posts you become regular family here. And here is your first timer's complimentary beverage :)

Latte_macchiato_biscuits.jpg

I call her "AND". :D

So it turns out that yellowjacket stings hurt a lot more than Georgia scorpion stings. :mad:

I riled up an underground wasp's nest yesterday with the riding mower. I didn't get stung and didn't get close enough after that to say anything about the kind of wasp or bee they were, but they looked way too big to have been something else like a swarm of gnats. However, I didn't see them again, even when I got (relatively) close to the same spot again.

So today I was using the push mower to get some spots that the riding mower had trouble with, and suddenly OW! What just bit my foot? :eek: I kicked off my flip-flops, knocking my MP3 player out of my pocket in the process, and look down to see 3 or 4 yellowjackets hanging on to my pants (I'm glad I wore jeans, and jeans without any holes in them, to touch up the lawn today!). So I head back into the house, go put some cold water on my foot (which still hurts), kill another wasp which I apparently missed and which came off of me in the bathroom, and head back out. I can't find the nest, so I spray some wasp killer in a couple of spots that look like they might be it and do the rest of the lawn.

It's now an hour or so later and my foot still hurts a bit. When I got stung by one of our scorpions, it was a small sting and didn't linger. The scorpions look more dangerous, but the wasps are much worse! :evil:

I'm just glad I only got one sting. That could have seriously sucked if they'd really swarmed me.

If the nest is in the ground they're yellowjackets (which are wasps), not bees. Yeah they can be nasty.

They have a sunset curfew, if you want to go deal with them after dark you can go in safely like the Star Trek away team infiltrating the Borg. While they sleep. :eusa_shhh:

On this day in history, August 4, 1821, the first edition of the Saturday Evening Post was published

When I was a kid, my grandfather framed this one for me, it's one of my most cherished possessions.

Google Image Result for http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_FUZEFYQGHIw/TMON9vsXTGI/AAAAAAAABbo/muSZ50KEIQ8/s1600/baseball.jpg

My father was always gone, home occasional weekends. My grandfather largely was my father. We played catch all the time. He was left handed. I always wanted to trade mitts, I got pretty good at throwing left and catching right. Though I never played that way in a game, I played shortstop.

He told me when he was a kid, they thought it was bad to be left handed, so he was forced to learn to do everything right handed. Til he got older, he thought it was stupid and switched back. I'd be like, really? I thought being left handed was the coolest thing. Because he was left handed, of course.

So it turns out that yellowjacket stings hurt a lot more than Georgia scorpion stings. :mad:

I riled up an underground wasp's nest yesterday with the riding mower. I didn't get stung and didn't get close enough after that to say anything about the kind of wasp or bee they were, but they looked way too big to have been something else like a swarm of gnats. However, I didn't see them again, even when I got (relatively) close to the same spot again.

So today I was using the push mower to get some spots that the riding mower had trouble with, and suddenly OW! What just bit my foot? :eek: I kicked off my flip-flops, knocking my MP3 player out of my pocket in the process, and look down to see 3 or 4 yellowjackets hanging on to my pants (I'm glad I wore jeans, and jeans without any holes in them, to touch up the lawn today!). So I head back into the house, go put some cold water on my foot (which still hurts), kill another wasp which I apparently missed and which came off of me in the bathroom, and head back out. I can't find the nest, so I spray some wasp killer in a couple of spots that look like they might be it and do the rest of the lawn.

It's now an hour or so later and my foot still hurts a bit. When I got stung by one of our scorpions, it was a small sting and didn't linger. The scorpions look more dangerous, but the wasps are much worse! :evil:

I'm just glad I only got one sting. That could have seriously sucked if they'd really swarmed me.

If the nest is in the ground they're yellowjackets (which are wasps), not bees. Yeah they can be nasty.

They have a sunset curfew, if you want to go deal with them after dark you can go in safely like the Star Trek away team infiltrating the Borg. While they sleep. :eusa_shhh:

Exactly. You want to kill them at night so they are all in the hive, if not, some may live and start a new one.

I pushed my lawn mower over a yellow jacket nest also when I lived in Marietta, outside Atlanta. Hurts like a bitch. They are so tiny, but wow. And it caught me off guard, I had no idea they were there until I got a half dozen or so stings suddenly.

Occupational hazard those hornets. I refer them to snakes and Japanese Beetles. For some reason I'm highly allergic to a bite from those beetles. Wait until the hornet sting gets itchy. I find that worse than their little nips.

Interesting thing this past week.
The company I work for is being bought out by another company.
In the past, I've worked for companies that bought other companies. I've never worked for the company that was being bought.
As an IT employee, my job/department will be highly needed to merge the computer systems of two Fortune 500 companies. During my tenure with the company I've done IT support and development for merchandising, logistics and currently finance. Exciting times and I know the systems inside and out from both an operational and IT perspective. I'm sitting in the catbird seat.

That happened to me a couple of years ago. They flew us all in to HQ in Toronto to map out their vision of the future, telling us "you guys are gonna be busier than you've ever been!"

Six months later we found out what they meant; we were indeed busier than ever ---looking for work somebody else to work for. The few that they kept on got the short end of the stick; they got worked into the ground.

First clue was when we all went to check in in Toronto and were told, "um... this room isn't paid for..."

I was going to issue that warning but you beat me to it. I've worked for three large companies that were purchased. The problem with these huge mergers is that both companies have IT departments; CEOs; Human Resource departments; etc. In every case, heads were chopped a few short months after the acquisition was complete. Just be the best at what you do and you should be safe but I've seen really good folks walk out the door with a pink slip.

[MENTION=47390]DriftingSand[/MENTION]

I certainly know I am at risk of being downsized/consolidated/relocated/FIRED, but that's just the way things are. There is no doubt in my mind that eventually consolidation will happen, jobs will be chopped, and people will be fired.
On the flip-side of the coin, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the companies offered 'retention' bonuses to some of us if we promised to stay and work through the buyout/merger challenges. Because of my system and operational knowledge I'm a great candidate for a 'retention bonus'.

Well, now that you've started the song....

Ya.. I have it stuck in my head now.

I blame him.... R.D.

Guaranteed to unstick any other song stuck in your head.
(Warning - listening to this song may get it stuck in your head......) :eusa_whistle:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LBmUwi6mEo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LBmUwi6mEo[/ame]

I have an even better song...

:D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxvlKp-76io]It's A Small World - Disney - YouTube[/ame]

Ya.. I have it stuck in my head now.

I blame him.... R.D.

Guaranteed to unstick any other song stuck in your head.
(Warning - listening to this song may get it stuck in your head......) :eusa_whistle:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LBmUwi6mEo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LBmUwi6mEo[/ame]

I have an even better song...

:D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxvlKp-76io]It's A Small World - Disney - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

Occupational hazard those hornets. I refer them to snakes and Japanese Beetles. For some reason I'm highly allergic to a bite from those beetles. Wait until the hornet sting gets itchy. I find that worse than their little nips.

I got me a coupla bites itching like the dickens right now. No idea what it was but stronger than a skeeter.

You can take some concrete bag mix and make rings for around your sprinklerheads Jughead.
I usually have no problem, however for whatever reason occasionally some of the sprinkler heads will not go back down once the water shuts off. This rarely occurs, and in the past when I observed stuck sprinkler heads I usually pull, and then manually push them back down. Hope it doesn't happen this year...

That happened to me a couple of years ago. They flew us all in to HQ in Toronto to map out their vision of the future, telling us "you guys are gonna be busier than you've ever been!"

Six months later we found out what they meant; we were indeed busier than ever ---looking for work somebody else to work for. The few that they kept on got the short end of the stick; they got worked into the ground.

First clue was when we all went to check in in Toronto and were told, "um... this room isn't paid for..."

I was going to issue that warning but you beat me to it. I've worked for three large companies that were purchased. The problem with these huge mergers is that both companies have IT departments; CEOs; Human Resource departments; etc. In every case, heads were chopped a few short months after the acquisition was complete. Just be the best at what you do and you should be safe but I've seen really good folks walk out the door with a pink slip.
Being the best at what you do is good, but it's even better if you know the right people. If you know the President, Vice President, and some of the CEOs on a first name basis, and routinely have lunch with them, no matter what your position, you are in a good position. A good position in terms of job security, and also for a promotion whenever an opportunity presents itself.

A fortune 500 company with over 70,000 employees has Senior Vice Presidents, Vice Presidents, Divisional Vice Presidents, and Regional Vice Presidents. Getting lunch with any of them is almost impossible. Hehe, I keep a candy dish on my desk, my DVP comes by about once a week to get her candy fix, that's when we talk.

I'm one of the few people not looking for a promotion. I worked in management for years and I grew weary of it. These days, my salary is quite good outside of having to manage people.

Okay, update with the estate. As many know we are trying to buy the house from my brothers we've applied for a loan but due to some miss communication, as in we needed a purchase agreement but wasn't relayed in such terms, everything was held up until we were finally able to get everyone on the same page.
Due to the snafu my brothers thought we were turned down and put the house on the market which obviously lead to some friction. That has been rectified and everyone is working hard to make sure we get the house. In the mean time my youngest brother and I have been packing up everything in the house over the last three days, making runs to Goodwill and filling up bags of trash. Most of the packed items were moved into storage today and the rest will be moved tomorrow so the house, garage and shed can get a complete cleaning. That means when the VA appraiser does his or her thing we'll be able to maximize the appraisal.
Obviously VA can still say no but at this juncture approval looks very likely.

You can take some concrete bag mix and make rings for around your sprinklerheads Jughead.
I usually have no problem, however for whatever reason occasionally some of the sprinkler heads will not go back down once the water shuts off. This rarely occurs, and in the past when I observed stuck sprinkler heads I usually pull, and then manually push them back down. Hope it doesn't happen this year...

Usually an early sign of some dirt in the gears.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back