USMB Coffee Shop IV

Our son called this morning when he learned that our then next door neighbor, a woman a couple of years older than our oldest--all the kids were still very young then--was killed in that tornado yesterday. She was then and now a beautiful person. She was still at work at her down town printing business when the tornado ripped through down town. Probably only an EF2 tornado but it did horrible damage. Prayers up for her family and all the people of Perryton Tx and a reminder to us all that things can happen like that and we can never take for granted that there will be a tomorrow for us.

Our son called this morning when he learned that our then next door neighbor, a woman a couple of years older than our oldest--all the kids were still very young then--was killed in that tornado yesterday. She was then and now a beautiful person. She was still at work at her down town printing business when the tornado ripped through down town. Probably only an EF2 tornado but it did horrible damage. Prayers up for her family and all the people of Perryton Tx and a reminder to us all that things can happen like that and we can never take for granted that there will be a tomorrow for us.
Oh, no, Foxfyre. I'm so sorry for the loss of your neighbor back then died in a tornado. 4 or 5 years ago, a tornado surrounded my house, just a year or two after my husband died, and I was very alone and frightened. I prayed when I saw stuff flying south in the front yard, and when I went to the back windows, stuff was flying north. The neighbor lost the roof on his one-story house the same day, but we had put a metal roof on the house when Bill was still alive, so that saved me. I lost some drainage stuff, so now it just drains into the garden around the house, and into the ground where my wooden patio used to be before my ex-fiance took it out to replace it, which he never did. Now, he lives in his travel trailer next to the arena. It's an eyesore, but I'm not gonna make demands on a man who served his country as a marine in VietNam, even if we can't stand each other for more than 90 seconds anymore.

He told me his company made an area safe for the army to fight the enemy, and they didn't leave until the territory was secure from the communists in that country. What a puzzle Vietnam seemed to be for those of us who had loved ones on a ship in the hostile waters around Vietnam. I never did get it why people spat on them when they arrived APO or FPO in Frisco when the war was ended. Many of our men died over there. And I still consider the survivors of that terrible war American heroes. They just did their job before coming home seated on a plane or boat or in a box so their relatives could put them to rest near their homes. The living survivors frequently so upset when they got home they used alcohol and cigarettes to forget and relax postbellum. :(

Last edited:
a4997256b7c6d4c41ebf3475199679d6.png

Just got back home after a few days in NC. My lady’s son just bought a house up there with his wife (he’s stationed at Bragg/Liberty) and we drove up his stuff he still had down here in a uhaul, helped them finish moving their stuff from their apartment to the house, and flew back. We had an hour and a half layover on the flight…that got delayed into a four and a half hour layover 🤬
We both work tomorrow, of course. Fun!

Hope everyone had a pleasant weekend

Just got back home after a few days in NC. My lady’s son just bought a house up there with his wife (he’s stationed at Bragg/Liberty) and we drove up his stuff he still had down here in a uhaul, helped them finish moving their stuff from their apartment to the house, and flew back. We had an hour and a half layover on the flight…that got delayed into a four and a half hour layover 🤬
We both work tomorrow, of course. Fun!

Hope everyone had a pleasant weekend
I think that qualifies you for a Happy Father's Day. :)

The Coffee Shop was to be a place for congenial fellowship and a place to discuss life, love, sorrows, joys, disappointments, successes etc. without the ranker and animosity that too often comes with political, religious etc. discussions.

It wasn't really intended to be about coffee but we have had a lot of fun with coffee over the years too.

I just ran across this article by AARP on the surprising benefits of three to five six-ounce cups of coffee a day--that would be plain coffee of course and not the high fat, high sugar coffee creations:

1. Lowers your risk of Type 2 diabetes
2. Protects your heart
3. Boosts brain health if you don't overdo it
4. Improves your mood for an extended period
5. Helps your workout by circulation, endurance and muscular strength
6. May help you live longer.

Who knew?

Coffee, water, and tea are my only drinks these days. I will grab a soda once in awhile. But I do feel the benefits of all three.
Same here with water being the beverage of choice during the day or when we go out to eat. I usually do have two or three cups of coffee in the morning and sometimes make a cup of tea at night. On special occasions or when we're having company, I will brew up some iced tea.

Same here with water being the beverage of choice during the day or when we go out to eat. I usually do have two or three cups of coffee in the morning and sometimes make a cup of tea at night. On special occasions or when we're having company, I will brew up some iced tea.
Once in a great while I will have a cup of coffee, but I have to be prepared to deal with the possible digestive consequences.
Once in a while I’ll have a soda, on a weekend. Otherwise it’s tea and flavored water for me.

The Coffee Shop was to be a place for congenial fellowship and a place to discuss life, love, sorrows, joys, disappointments, successes etc. without the ranker and animosity that too often comes with political, religious etc. discussions.

It wasn't really intended to be about coffee but we have had a lot of fun with coffee over the years too.

I just ran across this article by AARP on the surprising benefits of three to five six-ounce cups of coffee a day--that would be plain coffee of course and not the high fat, high sugar coffee creations:

1. Lowers your risk of Type 2 diabetes
2. Protects your heart
3. Boosts brain health if you don't overdo it
4. Improves your mood for an extended period
5. Helps your workout by circulation, endurance and muscular strength
6. May help you live longer.

Who knew?

I'm really glad you published that, Foxfyre, because it's so wonderfully true. Unfortunately, I was so fond of coffee at one time, I was drinking 5 or 6 cups of coffee a day, and frequently up to two pots of coffee, and for reasons I do not know, I came down with fibrocystic breast disease that if left untreated, becomes breast cancer. My doctor warned me to stop the guzzling and cut down my coffee. That really made me unhappy for a while, but I didn't want cancer in my life, so I took his advice. Now, I drink mostly one cup a day, but a second small cup if I fall asleep by twelve o'clock. It's really nice to have all those benefits without the threat of developing something that overdoing it would cause. It also makes me really appreciate that I can still drink my one cup a day that helps me wake up. And if I forget to drink my cuppa, I do fall asleep, and I quit sewing and doing the art stuff I like to do. That one cuppa is soooooooooooo good!

I'm making a Charity Bees quilt like this, except I used orange in the center and outlined each square with a sky blue of sorts:

images

And I've been on an orange quilt lookup for a whole couple of months and came up with these made by people who are real pros:
images
images
quilt-orange+explains+it6688_1.JPG
1687698021106.jpeg
OIP.eza6xOa5vdsdzbKlPRVc7AAAAA

OIP.Lk5uUaXyT7KOGw__ITKRhgHaH2
OIP.7DWAUulWbzqECqSTUopEDgHaE8
1687698116049.jpeg
OIP.S2rMLL3mr5f00NBv7YMDNAHaEm
OIP.lX7uoRfV4RTeKH7XLZHoXgHaJ4

I hopelessly love my quilting addiction. *sigh*
It's just that I turned over a bunch of green, blue, pink, red, and aqua quilts last week to the Charity quilters, and the orange quilts I found online were a true inspiration. Think I'll go finish the outside of the next orange quilt I'm working on. Have a lovely Sunday, all.
One more for the road...
OIP.fstvIOAxrEuvVMLdYcMQ3AHaGJ

:WooHooSmileyWave-vi:

I'm making a Charity Bees quilt like this, except I used orange in the center and outlined each square with a sky blue of sorts:

images

And I've been on an orange quilt lookup for a whole couple of months and came up with these made by people who are real pros:
images
images
quilt-orange+explains+it6688_1.JPG
View attachment 798480
OIP.eza6xOa5vdsdzbKlPRVc7AAAAA

OIP.Lk5uUaXyT7KOGw__ITKRhgHaH2
OIP.7DWAUulWbzqECqSTUopEDgHaE8
View attachment 798482
OIP.S2rMLL3mr5f00NBv7YMDNAHaEm
OIP.lX7uoRfV4RTeKH7XLZHoXgHaJ4

I hopelessly love my quilting addiction. *sigh*
It's just that I turned over a bunch of green, blue, pink, red, and aqua quilts last week to the Charity quilters, and the orange quilts I found online were a true inspiration. Think I'll go finish the outside of the next orange quilt I'm working on. Have a lovely Sunday, all.
One more for the road...
OIP.fstvIOAxrEuvVMLdYcMQ3AHaGJ

:WooHooSmileyWave-vi:
I've never quilted but think had I taken it up, I would have loved it. My best friend here in Albuquerque is a quilter and had made some awesome quilts. She also has done some teaching and mentoring in a quilting shop in Corrales, the village attached to Albuquerque where she lives.

I have sewn a lot of clothes for my kids and myself until we moved to Albuquerque. I always think I would like to get out my sewing machine and do that again as I really enjoyed it, but I never did. But it was a little emotional when I let Perry put my Singer Sewing machine on the pile of donated items for the Animal Humane Association to pick up. It's old, but still quite serviceable I'm sure.

I've never quilted but think had I taken it up, I would have loved it. My best friend here in Albuquerque is a quilter and had made some awesome quilts. She also has done some teaching and mentoring in a quilting shop in Corrales, the village attached to Albuquerque where she lives.

I have sewn a lot of clothes for my kids and myself until we moved to Albuquerque. I always think I would like to get out my sewing machine and do that again as I really enjoyed it, but I never did. But it was a little emotional when I let Perry put my Singer Sewing machine on the pile of donated items for the Animal Humane Association to pick up. It's old, but still quite serviceable I'm sure.
Quilting takes a lot of space up, and if you have a just the right-sized house, it would be a challenge. However, my youngest sister who lives within 100 miles from up here just took up quilting, so I gave her my old sewing/embroidery machine, and she has made a king sized quilt for their bedroom, and she has met some really nice people down near Galveston way, and has planned some more. She just acts like it's the best thing she's ever enjoyed doing. It's a wonderful hobby, and youtube can teach you anything you like to get you started. There are some inexpensive but good machines at Walmart if you ever get the yen. I have so much fabric from my store in Wyoming that when we moved here with 100 boxes of just fabrics to Tall Pines country, if you decide to, tell me your pattern and what colors you need, and I'll be happy to send some your way. That way, you won't have to make a huge expenditure, and you can decide whether you like quilting or not. Sewing crafts run in my family, and my first quilt ever was made by my Aunt and Grandma. Mom died when my youngest sister (now a quilter) and brother were 11 and 12 years old, so I'm not sure whether she made either of them a quilt. I sent my sister quilts for her two sons years ago, and my brother's two sons also. If you do take up quilting, make your first quilt in your favorite color or season--autumn leaves, spring flowers, purple rain... etc. I'd also recommend making a quilt the size of an afghan or baby quilt because the finishing time is do-able. Dena decided her first quilt would be for her king-sized bed, so our last phone call was me telling her how to support a huge effort so as not to tear up her back muscles. She has the right sewing machine, but she caught on that supporting the quilt hints would get her through her decision and get it done. The nice thing about an embroidery feature on a new machine is that one can embroider names in nothing flat if they want a little income to help pay for the other sewing tasks. If you like to travel, a smaller machine and a folding table can fit in the back seat of a car if it's rainy where you're going. The good thing about my crochet hobby is if someone else is driving, I can crochet the miles away without any equipment at all. The trouble with embroidering in a car is the stabbing issue on a rough road. :laughing0301: The good thing about pure hand work when travelling is that you're (1) never bored, and (2) you're not getting on the driver's nerves. The bad thing is you might miss the scenery in a beautiful state like New Mexico, and it's easy to lose count on dishrag rows unless you're making a utility item in which minor mistakes do not matter in the least. I always take my disrag work to the doctor's office for checkups, because in a busy office of the best doctors, you can wait a long time some days, and even if you don't, you're making progress you otherwise would get nothing done. Since Covid, doctors aren't putting out a lot of magazines to spread germs.

Forum List

Back