USMB Coffee Shop IV

Hombre and I don't drink any form of alcohol these days for medical reasons, but this really made me grin:

353037987_6816969371646598_2656400712619670823_n.jpg

I enjoy coffee, but it's bad for my digestive system. I decided to look into some coffee alternatives and ended up ordering something called Crastan Orzo. Orzo is apparently Italian for barley, and this is an instant drink made from barley. I made my first cup and used what might have been too little, but it does taste something like weak coffee. I'll have to try using more next time and see if it improves the taste, but my early impression is that this might be good to satisfy me if I get a craving for coffee. It doesn't have caffeine, so I'll be drinking it just for the taste.

I have also considered trying chicory coffee. It's supposedly common in New Orleans from a time when there was a coffee shortage.

I might also try using the Orzo or (if I get it) chicory as an additive to black tea, just to see how that tastes.

I wish coffee didn't mess with my belly the way it does, but maybe I can find something close that isn't too pricey. :)

I enjoy coffee, but it's bad for my digestive system. I decided to look into some coffee alternatives and ended up ordering something called Crastan Orzo. Orzo is apparently Italian for barley, and this is an instant drink made from barley. I made my first cup and used what might have been too little, but it does taste something like weak coffee. I'll have to try using more next time and see if it improves the taste, but my early impression is that this might be good to satisfy me if I get a craving for coffee. It doesn't have caffeine, so I'll be drinking it just for the taste.

I have also considered trying chicory coffee. It's supposedly common in New Orleans from a time when there was a coffee shortage.

I might also try using the Orzo or (if I get it) chicory as an additive to black tea, just to see how that tastes.

I wish coffee didn't mess with my belly the way it does, but maybe I can find something close that isn't too pricey. :)
During WWII, coffee was rationed and you could only get 1 or 2 pounds a month. However you could buy all the chicory you wanted and the parents let the kids drink it, I didn't care all that much for chicory but it is the closest substitute for coffee I know of.

Found some images of Chicory plant:
old-engraved-illustration-of-chicory.jpg
close-up-of-purple-flowering-plants-on-field-united-states-usa.jpg
wild-chicory-handcolored-16th-century-woodblock-from-the-speeches-in-the-six-books-of-pedacio.jpg

close-up-hover-fly-on-blue-meadow-flower.jpg
trainer-sunny-jim-fitzsimmons-80-year-old-dean-of-the-horse-conditioners-feeds-a-handful-of.jpg
german-agriculture-and-consumer-protection-minister-ilse-aigner-walks-among-flowering-wild.jpg

They kinda remind me of flowers mama grew that she called "bachelor buttons." The horse looks eager to eat the chicory plant, which begs the question: "Does it end field boredom in the equine comunity?" I guess I'll have to grow some bachelor buttons, retrieve the roots after the flowers fade, and make tea of it to see what kind of a kick it yields.

Can't complain about the weather but sure do blame Canada for all the haze and smoke smells in Ohio. My garden needs weeded badly and I can't work outside longer than 10 minutes at a time do to the air quality all coming down from the Canadian wild fires.
The smoke has been terrible for all of you, especially in the northeast. We can relate when the California, Colorado, Arizona, and New Mexico wild fires start popping up, the smoke settles into the basin where Albuquerque sits and can get just as bad.

So you definitely have my empathy.

Can't complain about the weather but sure do blame Canada for all the haze and smoke smells in Ohio. My garden needs weeded badly and I can't work outside longer than 10 minutes at a time do to the air quality all coming down from the Canadian wild fires.
We all need hazmat masks lately. Smoke widespread, bug spray, and to make matters worse, saw some health scholars that Covid is still around and will likely cause more trouble this year.

th
518VO8EmFQL._AC_SS130_.jpg
th
51n81Jcx7uL._AC_UL320_.jpg

Also heard there is another pandemic-type disease they're trying to get rid of before it gets rid of a million of us. On May 23, the NY Post published this:

The next pandemic 'even deadlier than Covid' is coming, warns WHO
The head of the World Health Organization warned that the world must prepare for the next pandemic,​
which could be “even deadlier” than the COVID-19 pandemic.​
In a meeting of the World Health Assembly in Geneva, Switzerland, on Monday,​
director-general Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus sounded an alarm that the COVID-19 pandemic is far from over.​
About the Marburg virus:​
“The threat of another variant emerging that causes new surges of disease and death remains,” Tedros said.​
“And the threat of another pathogen emerging with even deadlier potential remains.”​
However, the WHO recently declared that the COVID-19 pandemic is no longer a health emergency.​

This past week, I read somewhere that Covid isn't done with us yet, to get ready to wear a face mask if you want to avoid getting it.

The Marburg virus is discussed on several videos at youtube, but it may never get here since there were only 2 cases in Guinea in Africa:

gv-area.gif

My prayer is up that the people of Guinea may successfully contain the Marburg virus two of their people had.
It has a worrysome 50% survival rate.

I'm preparing with morning supplements of zinc, Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, and B100. The first three are the best fighters, but I just like B100 because it does a lot for human health in general, and even though it benefits men the most, we women need energy essentials too since we cook, care for the sick in the family, and stuff. Energy is a good fighter.

If your church has a prayer group, tell them to pray for a world fighting off diseases for the rest of this year and in future years. Stopping it now is the best prevention.
Some haven't seen the light yet, but I have, and I know in my heart God answers favorably when we ask for His help, and the world needs it now.

Last edited:
Good night, afternoon, morning wherever you are darlinks. I really do love you guys. May the Coffee Shop always be a virtual family for those who need or enjoy one here.

And we pray or send positive thoughts or keep vigil for:

Harper, the inspiration for the vigil list. Another surgery coming up.
Gracie for solutions and peace.
Ringel for continued wellness and his brothers' families for relief from adversity and illness.
Hombre & Foxfyre's son for continued wellness & their nephew dealing with ALS.
Beautress's friend Ken for healing and wellness.
Dale Smith for quality of life.
Boedicca's nephew for healing/adversity and baby Emma for healing and full recovery.
Mindful for successful preventative therapy.
SFC Ollie for healing and wellness

And we keep the light on so others who have been away can find their way back and we hope they will.

HAVE A GREAT 4th of JULY EVERYONE!!!
f0e6d6cdd490b705686f7f4624cd7293.png

Though I normally find people posting their meals on Fakebook to be kind of corny and pedestrian, today is a marginal exception.

As y'all may or may not know, it's wild berry season up here in the great northwoods...Today's out-of-this world brunch featured wild blueberry cakes, with fresh berry compote and sour cream...YUMMMMMY!

img_20230704_111935702-jpg.801310

Happy Fourth of July
May God Bless America
fourth-of-july-fireworks-at-lincoln-memorial-july-4-credit-dpbirds-flickr.jpg

2764.png
1f90d.png
1f499.png

Thanks for our Vets, Active Service men and women, who so greatly honor of those who gave their all to this country.

Here's an Acapella versionof the The Star Spangled Banner, our National Anthem:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back