USMB Coffee Shop IV

Okay, just saw the "fox" again. It jumped the neighbors fence about 12 feet from me into my backyard which was just mowed this morning so I got a great look at it...... It was much bigger than a typical fox and based on the coloration I'm thinking it's a coyote, not a fox.
Grey fox

381_1greyfox1.jpg

Coyote

coyote.jpg

Okay, just saw the "fox" again. It jumped the neighbors fence about 12 feet from me into my backyard which was just mowed this morning so I got a great look at it...... It was much bigger than a typical fox and based on the coloration I'm thinking it's a coyote, not a fox.
Grey fox

381_1greyfox1.jpg

Coyote

coyote.jpg

You're probably right. And a coyote is a far greater danger to your cat (or any small dog) than any fox would be.

Grey fox

381_1greyfox1.jpg

Coyote

coyote.jpg

You're probably right. And a coyote is a far greater danger to your cat (or any small dog) than any fox would be.

The identification problem is what I saw has attributes of both animals. I know wolves and coyotes have mixed but not coyotes and foxes. :dunno:

Here's a great picture that looks like what we saw but with more grey than red.

2058528984_e1cdba1b05.jpg

Been laying around getting well has left me with lots of time to think about things. In life, does a cat really need anything more than a trash dumpster to play in and to find food in and somebody to bother? I can't think of anything else they might really need... Somebody help me out if I'm wrong.

Been laying around getting well has left me with lots of time to think about things. In life, does a cat really need anything more than a trash dumpster to play in and to find food in and somebody to bother? I can't think of anything else they might really need... Somebody help me out if I'm wrong.

Small tin of water now and then.....

Litter box.

House cats need to own a human........ :eusa_whistle:

A hamburger or two can't hurt.

This is one happy cat...
Catburger-0347.jpg

Grey fox

381_1greyfox1.jpg

Coyote

coyote.jpg

The identification problem is what I saw has attributes of both animals. I know wolves and coyotes have mixed but not coyotes and foxes. :dunno:

If you have trouble identifying them, foxes have a long, bushy "brush". Compared to a coyote's rather skimpy aft appendage.

Hombre and Carly and I had hamburger steaks for supper. A BIG one for Hombre, a smaller one for me, and a baby one for Carly. She snarfed it right down along with her daily serving of Monterey Jack and Colby cheese. (Her 'mom' has her on a weird diet for a dog I think.)

If you have trouble identifying them, foxes have a long, bushy "brush". Compared to a coyote's rather skimpy aft appendage.

Not always a good way to identify though. You have to go with the foxes unique ears, eyes, and face to tell the difference if size isn't a good indication. A healthy coyote, especially with his full winter coat, can have a luxuriously bushy tail.

40fa9dab902e2adc822647ba3fdfb963.jpg

This small coyote could easily be mistaken for a fox:

71efe3db31312cfe0ac7d37bba21bea6.jpg

Compare to one of our mountain gray foxes. Note the [prominent cheek bones on the fox compared to the coyote:
th

Last edited:

A tree. A good high one with no way down. Better yet a whole forest full of 'em.

Forum List

Back