USMB Coffee Shop IV

I've found it depends on the cat. I have one cat, Sherman, who is determined to get out and explore. He is quite successful at overcoming my preventive measures. Another feral adoptee barely ventures onto the "porch" I have for the cats. He seems most comfortable in covered and "safe" places. Most of my cats see quite content to observe the world from the window over the back of the sofa. My concern is not only foxes, but the ferals that "own" my barn and back yard. I hate to see the damage done when one of my kittypets gets out and the ferals defend their territory. We are also very close to an active road here. I've already had a couple of flat-cats delivered to the front porch with notes on them: "Sorry, I ran over your cat."

You're right, it does depend on the cat. When my cat was older, the only time she went outside was when my son was waiting for the bus. She'd sit on the porch with him, then the bus would come (he's special needs so it was the little bus) she would just turn around and wait to be let back in.

Cool. Cats can be pretty perceptive. I have cushions and boxes outside (on the porch) where my kitties can lounge. Worst thing is, I have to treat for ear mites after they start spending time outside. No fleas or ticks in this neck of the woods.

How do you treat for ear mites?

We've been lucky, have yet to see a single flea or tick this year, even with Hobbes running around the jungle all day. I'm sure the double-whammy polar vortex over the last winter had something to do with decimating the population for this year at least. Have been giving Hobbes the systemic flea stuff on the back of the neck but he's been clean.

I've found it depends on the cat. I have one cat, Sherman, who is determined to get out and explore. He is quite successful at overcoming my preventive measures. Another feral adoptee barely ventures onto the "porch" I have for the cats. He seems most comfortable in covered and "safe" places. Most of my cats see quite content to observe the world from the window over the back of the sofa. My concern is not only foxes, but the ferals that "own" my barn and back yard. I hate to see the damage done when one of my kittypets gets out and the ferals defend their territory. We are also very close to an active road here. I've already had a couple of flat-cats delivered to the front porch with notes on them: "Sorry, I ran over your cat."

You're right, it does depend on the cat. When my cat was older, the only time she went outside was when my son was waiting for the bus. She'd sit on the porch with him, then the bus would come (he's special needs so it was the little bus) she would just turn around and wait to be let back in.

Cool. Cats can be pretty perceptive. I have cushions and boxes outside (on the porch) where my kitties can lounge. Worst thing is, I have to treat for ear mites after they start spending time outside. No fleas or ticks in this neck of the woods.

treating for ear mites is easy. It's when you have to give them antibiotic pills that you have Trouble, with a capital "T". :D

This is the week for one of the biggest meteor shows of the year - the Perseids. Should be peaking in mid-week. Making it challenging will be the bright moon, which should be hitting exactly full right about the instant this post goes up, and since a full moon rises at sunset and cycles about 24 hours and 40 minutes, it will be with us most of the week. That is, if you have clear skies at all -- none of that 'round here at present; we're in the midst of five days of rain and not halfway through.

We've added Saturday to our poker play at Doc's. We start at 2 in order to be all done by 6 or sso on nights I have a band.
It is a challenge to open AND have poker tables set up in an hour, especially when my bartender closed up Friday night and probably didn't get to bed 'til 5 or 6 AM.

We officially open at 2PM but of course, the poker players start to show up more like 1:30, so until Ge Ge gets her drawer counted in, I'm writing tabs, counting poker chips, setting out ash trays and coasters, and silently shouting "please hurry".

Sometimes I actually place in the tournaments, but that isn't really the point. Poker brings in 20 to 25 people that spend money. I did make a few bucks ($130) last night in the consolation game, so I was $90 to the good.
Today is day 4 of poker at a private home in Bon Secour. Good will, you know. Gotta advertise.

Good morning all. Carlie, the house guest dachshund, has had her breakfast which she snarfed right down, but I'm still pondering what Hombre and I will have. So enjoying more coffee while I ponder. Carlie goes home late afternoon tomorrow and we'll miss her. Hombre gets his stitches out and can ditch the bandages tomorrow too and he can hardly wait. He refuses to go out in public with visible bandages.

Doesn't look like any rain today but we still won't see 90 degrees. Very strange weather we've been having temperature wise for weeks now but I'm not knocking it. I love the cooler weather.

So pondering....what to have for breakfast/brunch this morning.....

On this day in history, August 10, 1846, the U.S. Congress accepted a $500,000 donation from the estate of James Smithson to charter the Smithsonian Institute. Smithson, born in Paris, was a naturalized English citizen, chemist and mineralogist, who published extensively but was frustrated that he was considered an amateur and was never respected by his English peers. That is almost certainly why he left his estate to a favorite nephew and, if the nephew preceded him in death, the money would be used to found an educational institution in Washington D.C. The nephew did precede him in death, and the rest as we say, is history. Smithson himself never visited the U.S.A.

The Smithsonian is now a research complex of 19 museums and galleries, the National Zoological Park, as well as numerous research facilities. Operating with a budget of about $775 million, 65% federally funded and the remainder from private sources and gift shops plus it works cooperatively with 137 affiliates in 40 states, Panama, and Puerto Rico. Admission is free to all the museums and it receives some 30 million visitors to the exhibits and national zoo each year. It closes on Christmas Day.

Our own Holocaust and Intolerance Museum here in Albuquerque is an affiliate of the Smithsonian. If you have visited the museums in D.C., they are all beautiful and well done and you would have to devote your life pretty much full time to see it all.

The Getty Collection housed in this building is typical of the excellence and aesthetically pleasing complex:

5629177909_c2b11de77c_z.jpg

I apologize for the lack of pictures on this one. I have been feeding stray cats on my front porch now for over a year now. Sometimes I have to make little piles of food down my side walk about six feet apart so we don't have kitty wars when more than two show up. Yesterday was such a day with three here. I usually make a pile on the top step and my favorite three-legged cat get the porch. With three I made a pile in the middle of the walk.

Apparently a squirrel ate some of it yesterday when there was leftovers, so this morning I have two cats eating on the porch and less than four feet away, a black squirrel eating on the top step. Grabbing pieces of dry food with his front paws and standing up looking around while eating.

I hate to break it to you, but if you have been feeding them for a year, they are no longer strays. They are your cats. :D

But I haven't named any of them, so I think they're still strays on technically?

So I watch the two cats and squirrel for a while, then see Meet the Press discuss Iraq. Wish I could get everyone to watch my cats and squirrel for a minute. Just perspective, not a political statement.

We used to feed the squirrels before we got our dog. The funniest was the day I put out the walnuts in the shell, previously it had always been peanuts in the shell. The squirrel would put one in each cheek and run away. He couldn't do that with the walnut. It was so funny. He'd pick up a walnut and put it in his mouth, then pick up another walnut, but now he couldn't move, so he'd drop the one out of his mouth, put the one in his hands in his mouth, then pick up the one he dropped and be in the same situation. This went on for like 5 minutes, but when I went to get the camera, he finally wised up and took one walnut and went away. Dang!

I apologize for the lack of pictures on this one. I have been feeding stray cats on my front porch now for over a year now. Sometimes I have to make little piles of food down my side walk about six feet apart so we don't have kitty wars when more than two show up. Yesterday was such a day with three here. I usually make a pile on the top step and my favorite three-legged cat get the porch. With three I made a pile in the middle of the walk.

Apparently a squirrel ate some of it yesterday when there was leftovers, so this morning I have two cats eating on the porch and less than four feet away, a black squirrel eating on the top step. Grabbing pieces of dry food with his front paws and standing up looking around while eating.

I hate to break it to you, but if you have been feeding them for a year, they are no longer strays. They are your cats. :D

Probably his squirrel too.

So I watch the two cats and squirrel for a while, then see Meet the Press discuss Iraq. Wish I could get everyone to watch my cats and squirrel for a minute. Just perspective, not a political statement.

We used to feed the squirrels before we got our dog. The funniest was the day I put out the walnuts in the shell, previously it had always been peanuts in the shell. The squirrel would put one in each cheek and run away. He couldn't do that with the walnut. It was so funny. He'd pick up a walnut and put it in his mouth, then pick up another walnut, but now he couldn't move, so he'd drop the one out of his mouth, put the one in his hands in his mouth, then pick up the one he dropped and be in the same situation. This went on for like 5 minutes, but when I went to get the camera, he finally wised up and took one walnut and went away. Dang!

We used to have the most fun feeding raw peanuts in the shell to the blue jays out on the mountain. We had at least three different kinds of jays--pinon jays, scrub jays, stellars--and there were lots of them. So you put this mound of peanuts on the back deck and then stand inside the sliding glass doors and wait. And here they would come each frantically grabbing a peanut and taking off with it. But they weren't eating them. They would stash them someplace and come back for another. We would watch them fly a few feet from the deck, set the peanut down on the ground, pick up an old pinon cone and put on top of the peanut to hide it, and come back for another. Every now and then one would forget to hide his peanut and would return with it, drop it, grab another and take off. Fun to watch.

It's a toss up whether the jays or the rock squirrels found all those hidden peanuts later.

So, hope you all are having a good day. I had a setback yesterday. I'm suppose to be out of the boot and with an ankle brace now, but I can't walk with it yet and I sure as heck can't wear my shoes with it. They won't fit. My foot is too swollen.

Bummer Sheila. I'm beginning to think the doc missed something. Maybe time for another opinion?

So, hope you all are having a good day. I had a setback yesterday. I'm suppose to be out of the boot and with an ankle brace now, but I can't walk with it yet and I sure as heck can't wear my shoes with it. They won't fit. My foot is too swollen.

Bummer Sheila. I'm beginning to think the doc missed something. Maybe time for another opinion?

No, he says I'm doing fine. If I wear the boot I can walk. The biggest problem is my knee. I think it's arthritic. Not using it for this long has caused major problems. You know with arthritis if you don't use it, it gets worse. I'm going to be seeing another doctor next week about my knee.

Forum List

Back