USMB Coffee Shop IV

Haven't been here in a few days. Busy shopping for stuff for sisters wedding.

Tournament next Sunday. Getting excited but I have been working hard. Its the State Titles, so if I win a medal, I will be one of the best in my State in my age and grade division. Got a silver in sparring last year, so lets hope I can get another this year.

Picked out a dress for both the bridal shower and the wedding. Well, mum picked out the wedding dress. The wedding one is blue mauve and looks awesome, and the one I picked is a dark floral pattern which I thought looked great.

I have a new job! Well, sort of. Its a trial at the market tomorrow, I am working in one of the stalls selling pet products. There may be several other people there trying to get the permanent position so I hope I do well. A job is a job, even if its only for a couple of hours. :)

So you ARE going to the wedding :) (I remember the discussion when you had decided that you wouldn't be attending. But as it is with all of us, situations are changing all the time. :))

It is a great excuse to acquire some pretty new frocks, and show off that competition-fit bod...

And so it's Monday.

I have a new neighbor. Actually the new neighbor is the sister of my old neighbor. She owns the dog grooming service I take Daisy the Mutt to. Here's the situation: she has four Jack Russell terriers. They are playful and active and bark as soon as they are exposed to oxygen. Midnight last night they were barking.

I got up around 1:30 to pee and get a glass of milk and they were still barking. This morning as I arose, they were still barking.

How should I address this situation? I have to sleep due to my being a human being. How can I get a good night's sleep with the windows open with four dogs barking? She does a great job trimming up Daisy the Mutt and I still have to live in Pimplebutt, but I fear my sleepless nights will continue until furnace season.
Challenging situation you have there, NK. I have suffered through similar ones, several times. Once, our gated community had rules against dogs barking after certain hours and that solved that one. I had to write a complaint, though. I have found owners of dogs barking for any reason, even just at the moon, couldn't care less about the annoyance to neighbors. Just one more reason to teach your children, well?
Unfortunately the Luxurious Pimplebutt Estate does not lay within a gated compound. There is no authority to hear my plight. The dogs are in a fenced area in her front yard, the yard that faces my home.

Last night the dogs were barking and made another neighbor's dog bark as well. Daisy the Mutt, to her credit, slept through all the din. But it soon became apparent that the Jack Russells were barking in response to the other dog's barking which was, of course due to the Jack Russell's barking. And yet they say the Jack Russell terrier is a smart dog.

While Jacks are reputed to be very intelligent, as dogs go, their owners....yeah, not always so much.
I wish you luck, it's a tough situation. I would first address the lady personally, plead my case and give her some time to deal with the situation. After that, what are the noise ordinances in your area?

582b7d6d1225b0ff0f79a26115a145cb.jpg

A positive direction for Noomi and I suspect Ringel too. We all made it safely to Tuesday!

With the marriage of my oldest, Harper now lives an hour and twenty minutes away. ;(

This also means grandma is not watching her everyday, so day care is now upon us. Little Miss Harper has pretty much been around adults all her life, but almost no kids. I am really concerned about that transition and people we don't know watching her.

Amazing instinct for survival, those little ones. Harper should make it through just fine. But worry on, grandparents, it's in your job description.

BBD in NH and Mertex in Cal, and the rest of us in between.

A cosmopolitan lot, us. :lol:

Not ALL of us. Not me.

:D

You and Noomi and our UK and Canadian friends et al represent the international wing of the family. :)
Hey, wait a minute...I am not a representative of the international wing of the CS family and I am definitely not between CA and NH!! Or are you really going to limit Americans to CONUS?

Typical fall weather here, wet, rainy...not to cold (yet), but makes you wish for snow. I pity my poor goats who have to slog through this mess. The more it rains, the deeper the mud is.
I've been super busy, with school starting and my preparations to move to the Lower 48. Even though the move should not take place before late summer 2015, I have many loose ends to tie up. Just getting the storage shed built is a major project and I cannot work on it every weekend because my weekends are now taken up with teaching classes.
I've bottled two batches of mead, both delicious. I still have ten milking does to tend daily and cheese to make. I've been sifting through the detritus of my life, trying to decide what will be stored, what given away, and I'll have to learn to sell on ebay. I have a few nice items that should fetch a bit of money to go towards my road stake. There's a gal at work who has agreed to have a yard sale at her place in town this Spring, so I have to sort out those items, too. (I have an entire bag of clothes that no longer fit since I lost 40 lbs.) I'm thinking I will be busy, busy, busy for a while yet.
Hopefully all my CS friends will have healthy, happy times ahead. You guys are the best. Thanks.

BBD in NH and Mertex in Cal, and the rest of us in between.

A cosmopolitan lot, us. :lol:

Not ALL of us. Not me.

:D

You and Noomi and our UK and Canadian friends et al represent the international wing of the family. :)
Hey, wait a minute...I am not a representative of the international wing of the CS family and I am definitely not between CA and NH!! Or are you really going to limit Americans to CONUS?

That's right. I'm so sorry because I didn't mean to slight Alaska. Or Hawaii. Seems like we had a Coffee Shopper from Hawaii somewhere back there, but I can't remember the name. But I think you are our only Alaskan for now. When you move to the East Coast we won't have anybody up north. :(

Well, things just keep getting more and more interesting at work.

About a month ago, the company I work for issued a press release and a company memo stating that we were being sold (merger) to a company similar to ours (company 1). A company with a similar operating model but a different clientele and operating strategy. Interesting point #1 is that the other company is smaller than us.
Then, two weeks later, our largest direct competitor (company 2) with an identical customer base and identical operating strategy made an offer to buy that was larger. Interesting point #2 is that it is a company that is larger than us. The company I work for turned down the larger offer citing anti-trust law as the reason (I suppose that could be interesting point #3).
Tuesday of this week, company 2 increased their buyout offer for us. Company 2 also indicated possible "hostile take over action" if declined again. That would be interesting point #4.
Thursday this week, my company again declined the buyout offer from company 2 and issued a press release citing exact FTC rules about anti-trust law, divestiture, etc that (they think) would make it a bad deal for shareholders. Making that Interesting point #5.
Yesterday, company 2 issued a press release stating that were still intent on buying us and would explore their options to do so. Options (most likely) include a direct appeal to shareholders and/or a hostile takeover. That would be interesting point #6.

Meanwhile, the senior management and executives keep telling us not to listen to the noise (press) or worry about what will eventually happen. Sorry, I can't help but think about it. If company 2 buys us there is about a 98% chance I will lose my job in about a year. The mere 2% chance of keeping my job would include re-location to another state far from my family, so that is not an option for me. If company 1 buys us there is about a 75% chance I will lose my job in about two years. Of the remaining 25%, I'm guessing it's a 50/50 possibility of having to re-locate to another state. Again, far from my family. Company 2 is a better option for me, but still not a good final outcome in most scenarios.

I was planning on retiring from the company I currently work for, but I don't think that is going to happen now. In my past, I have always worked for the company that was acquiring the other company. I've never been in a situation where my employer was being acquired. Time to dust off the resume, update it, and keep my options open. Fortunately, I work in IT, I'm good at what I do, and there is high demand for what I do. In the worst case scenario, I have a year to secure other employment, so I don't see a problem there.
I just hate going through the whole employment seeking process -- resume's, interviews, waiting, negotiating salary and vacation time. It's just a pain, especially negotiating vacation. Most companies focus on salary when recruiting/hiring. Screw that, I am more than willing to accept less in salary for an extra week or two of vacation.

Speaking of situations changing. Huh. Very different scenario when you last reported on the changes with your company. Having had several companies sold out from under us, Hombre and I know that promises and assurances given at those times rarely if ever hold up for the long term. And there hasn't been a single time that has happened that turned out to be good for us. But we successfully moved on and got on with our lives. Most of us humans are pretty adaptable to be able to do what we have to do to get things done.
Today, company 2 announced "hostile takeover actions". They didn't up their bid for the buyout, they just reiterated the same dollar amount offer for the stock and appealed to the shareholders to accept their offer.
And meanwhile, people are quitting right and left. This week alone I've learned of 8 people resigning, and it's only Wednesday.
Interesting times.

Ya... I believe this is what this board is all about now...

Advertise on US Message Board BuySellAds

Shame... it's no longer about the people or the debate... it's about the money, and that was my impression long ago.

That was the primary reason for the format change. Money. The entire "enhancing the user experience" was purely bullshit.

Imho....without ad block this site would be damn near impossible. I don't necessarily fault the owners for wanting to make more money....but at least be honest about it. Nobody likes to be bullshitted.
Agree 100%, and thank God for chrome with Adblock addon.

I don't use Adblock and I have no problems. Sure, there are banner ads at the top and bottom of the page, but it's not like they get in my way.
Then you also need "DO NOT TRACK ME"... works great.

Same here. I see a few ads and get amused at the not-so-much-coincidental phenomenon that they are so often from companies I have researched recently or that offer products I have researched recently. But they don't interfere with the board in any way and I mostly easily ignore them. So far I have encountered NONE of those annoying talking ads that were popping up frequently on the old board.

Forum List

Back