USMB Coffee Shop IV

I sometimes listen to Aljazeera news, because it often has news items the other channels do not. One thing it said was that it recently rained in California. I was wondering if it has rained since, as I know there is a terrible drought there.

Well howdy Dajjal, hadn't seen you around in quite a while......did I miss your posts or have you been gone? Good to see you!

I was in California early September and it didn't rain in the area where I was - Santa Monica and LA, but we ran into a terrible rain storm in Phoenix, and some parts of California close to Arizona. There was so much rain that parts of Ariz were closed off to traffic. IH 10 was closed off, fortunately we were already on the other side of the area that was flooded so we were able to continue on to Ca without a problem.

HI Mertex, I have been checking out the forum, but not had much to say. As for the weather, the jet stream has moved again and it is now over England. This means we have had constant rain for several days, I expect it will be a repeat of last year where we end up with serious flooding, and America may have another cold winter. Because the jet stream is curling down across America bringing cold from the north.

I joined hulu for about a year. It has every t.v. series known to man as well as HBO and premium channel shows.

I would sit and watch five or six episodes in a row uninterrupted. It was basically $20 for a year.

If there is a older series you really like it might be worth it. :)

I joined hulu for about a year. It has every t.v. series known to man as well as HBO and premium channel shows.

I would sit and watch five or six episodes in a row uninterrupted. It was basically $20 for a year.

Hulu is not available in Germany. I believe there is legal strite going on about this. Even Hulu vids on the internet are blocked out on German servers. It is sometimes very irritating.

The new ignore feature with this format is a winner though

I don't understand with all the mods why some of the trolls aren't dealt with. I get snark and I get the flame zone, but derailing thread after thread with troll posts is too annoying.

Well post count is money when you want money from advertisers. The advertisers apparently don't care about content on a message board but are only concerned that there is high traffic to see their ads. And the trolls all post a lot.

I suppose that who we define as a troll - or maybe not - may also depend on our own political proclivities. Surely this is -to a point- a matter of perspective: one man's troll may be another man's hero - perhaps, but not always. And I would also say that post count does not necessarily make a troll; I consider that argument to be a fallacy. Were that the case, then I guess that makes me and a number of other people who post regularly here in the CS trolls. lol...

At the risk of sounding political (which is not my intent), I see trolls on both major sides of the political spectrum here in USMB, also on the other sides less dicussed, like the Libertarian side. Being a human being like everyone else, I may tend to see less of the LW trolls, while the words of RW trolls may be magnified in my eyes, since that is also human nature. But there are also some trolls who are neither LW nor RW, but just plain old vicious, rabid racists or anti-semites and indeed, they tend to post a lot and generally receive rotting fruit from all of us. Even so, were they to come to the CS, I would welcome them, just as Foxfyre and so many other members welcome everyone.

I just felt the need to clarify that so that were this disussion to continue, we would not be devolving into code words. For that would be a shame, n'est ce pas?

:)

I also said that trolls are not identified by their post count--many non trolls are quite active on the board--but that the trolls do post a lot. There is a difference between those two things. :)

By definition, a troll is a member who is not interested in discussing concepts or principles or participating in any meaningful way in any discussion. They are there specifically to recite the talking points of the week or the standard ignorant one liners, insult persons or groups, utilize massive mostly meaningless cut and pastes, and disrupt or derail any meaningful or intelligent discussion in process. And their numbers are legion on USMB because they are allowed with minimal restraints here.

But for a message board that is run for both fun and profit, the post count elevated by troll activity is $$$ in the bank when the advertisers are not interested in content but rather are impressed by traffic.

I don't understand with all the mods why some of the trolls aren't dealt with. I get snark and I get the flame zone, but derailing thread after thread with troll posts is too annoying.

Well post count is money when you want money from advertisers. The advertisers apparently don't care about content on a message board but are only concerned that there is high traffic to see their ads. And the trolls all post a lot.

I suppose that who we define as a troll - or maybe not - may also depend on our own political proclivities. Surely this is -to a point- a matter of perspective: one man's troll may be another man's hero - perhaps, but not always. And I would also say that post count does not necessarily make a troll; I consider that argument to be a fallacy. Were that the case, then I guess that makes me and a number of other people who post regularly here in the CS trolls. lol...

At the risk of sounding political (which is not my intent), I see trolls on both major sides of the political spectrum here in USMB, also on the other sides less dicussed, like the Libertarian side. Being a human being like everyone else, I may tend to see less of the LW trolls, while the words of RW trolls may be magnified in my eyes, since that is also human nature. But there are also some trolls who are neither LW nor RW, but just plain old vicious, rabid racists or anti-semites and indeed, they tend to post a lot and generally receive rotting fruit from all of us. Even so, were they to come to the CS, I would welcome them, just as Foxfyre and so many other members welcome everyone.

I just felt the need to clarify that so that were this disussion to continue, we would not be devolving into code words. For that would be a shame, n'est ce pas?

I also said that trolls are not identified by their post count--many non trolls are quite active on the board--but that the trolls do post a lot. There is a difference between those two things. :)

By definition, a troll is a member who is not interested in discussing concepts or principles or participating in any meaningful way in any discussion. They are there specifically to recite the talking points of the week or the standard ignorant one liners, insult persons or groups, and disrupt or derail any meaningful or intelligent discussion in process. And their numbers are legion on USMB because they are allowed here.

But for a message board that is run for both fun and profit, the post count elevated by troll activity is $$$ in the bank when the advertisers are not interested in content but rather are impressed by traffic.

Yepp. By post count I was not referring to you at all. Sorry if there was a misunderstanding.

Are you talking about Hulu or Hulu Plus? I think I can stream Hulu through my Roku's, if I remember correctly. I tried Hulu Plus, and felt it not worth the price, since I don't much like watching TV.

I've found a lot of movies are posted on films.org, you tube, etc. for free. Most are older movies so not restricted, occasionally someone posts a newer movie but it's typically removed fairly quickly due to legal constraints. Be careful though, some sites like Putlocker try to load all kinds of unwanted carp on your computer, the two I mentioned don't and I recommend not using a torrent as torrents are very often a platform for highjackers and virus dissemination.
Hulu, Comcast and others also have free movies available for online viewing.

By definition, a troll is a member who is not interested in discussing concepts or principles or participating in any meaningful way in any discussion. They are there specifically to recite the talking points of the week or the standard ignorant one liners, insult persons or groups, utilize massive mostly meaningless cut and pastes, and disrupt or derail any meaningful or intelligent discussion in process. And their numbers are legion on USMB because they are allowed with minimal restraints here.

Yes...you can immediately spot a troll when they directly post talking points from a far right or far left site with no filter.

Example of classic troll post: "Yeah....you people need to read this because your side sucks!" Insert link to a Media Matters or Breitbart page. :lol:

There is one poster in particular I can think of who is famous for this. He literally posts six or seven inflammatory threads with nothing but a link to far left sites. Ridiculous...but I concede both sides do it....a lot.

Yes...you can immediately spot a troll when they directly post talking points from a far right or far left site with no filter.

Example of classic troll post: "Yeah....you people need to read this because your side sucks!" Insert link to a Media Matters or Breitbart page. :lol:

There is one poster in particular I can think of who is famous for this. He literally posts six or seven inflammatory threads with nothing but a link to far left sites. Ridiculous...but I concede both sides do it....a lot.

Äääh, yepp. Oh, well, we need the traffic, so....

Are you talking about Hulu or Hulu Plus? I think I can stream Hulu through my Roku's, if I remember correctly. I tried Hulu Plus, and felt it not worth the price, since I don't much like watching TV.

I got a USB plug in called Rabbit TV that cost $19.95 for a year. It directly accessed Hulu. There are several old TV series I liked (example...NYPD Blue). I could watch all the episodes season by season.

If there are any series you have ever liked you can watch them whenever you want. There were 3 or 4 I wanted to see again...so for a year it was worth it. :)

Here is a You Tube review to see if you might like.

Morning greetings!
It's cold here this morning, mostly because we have a brisk north wind. Weather prognosticators are predicting rain this afternoon but with these temps,we'll get the white stuff, for sure.
It's my week to make dinner and I am considering slow-cooked chicken and dumplings with a special chocolate cake for dessert. My buddy's gf made a mediocre chili last week with homemade ice cream to finish. The ice cream was tasty.

Sarah, I watched what I considered a great series, called Damages. It starred Glenn Close as a mean and very competently corrupt lawyer in NY,( I think. )Every episode had well-know names starring it it, and usually playing ruthless or greedy characters. Ted Danson did his job well, on that series. Murder and mayhem. It is high drama all the way through. I may watch it again if I go back to Net. I have to wait and see what my job responsibility's are going to be. It's been years since I watched it and I have forgotten so much and hope it is still on Netflix. The acting, superbly convincing.
There is another 5 season series people are telling me is good. Sons of Anarchy. On Netflix.

ne more (I sound like a Netflix salesperson, hee hee) The Big C. I loved Laura Linney in that series.

I've found a lot of movies are posted on films.org, you tube, etc. for free. Most are older movies so not restricted, occasionally someone posts a newer movie but it's typically removed fairly quickly due to legal constraints. Be careful though, some sites like Putlocker try to load all kinds of unwanted carp on your computer, the two I mentioned don't and I recommend not using a torrent as torrents are very often a platform for highjackers and virus dissemination.

The only service we use is Amazon Prime which is rather pricey and got more so this year, but it includes free shipping on most stuff ordered from Amazon and that pays for all or most of the annual fees--Hombre and I have separate Amazon accounts.. But it offers almost unlimited free or deeply discounted content for my Kindle plus tens of thousands of free titles--movies, documentaries, TV series, etc. for the Kindle or computer--I suppose it could be channeled through the television set like other services if I just had the right stuff to do it.

I'll tell ya something... I haven't bought a new movie in probably 3 or 4 months, and I finally bought "A Million Ways To Die In The West." I thought this was finally something that looked good that I was going to enjoy, but after watching it, I have no doubt in my mind why hollywood is hurting. The FILTH, the SMUT and the DEBAUCHERY in that movie is simply disgusting. No wonder our nation is turning into an immoral toilet. What absolute GARBAGE. If I could take the movie back and get a refund I would. The thing is, they could have made that movie MINUS all the TRASH, and it would have been a funny movie. What a complete disappointment. I'm about ready to completely dismantle my home theater and sell it off. I don't hold out any hope for anything decent to come out of that cess pool they call the entertainment industry anymore.

You should do a quick check on IMDB or something like that before you buy a movie. That one is made by Seth MacFarlane, the creator of Family Guy. That's the style of humor he's known for in all of his work.

I also think comedy may be the hardest genre of movie to do well. It is so incredibly subjective.

The only service we use is Amazon Prime which is rather pricey and got more so this year, but it includes free shipping on most stuff ordered from Amazon and that pays for all or most of the annual fees--Hombre and I have separate Amazon accounts.. But it offers almost unlimited free or deeply discounted content for my Kindle plus tens of thousands of free titles--movies, documentaries, TV series, etc. for the Kindle or computer--I suppose it could be channeled through the television set like other services if I just had the right stuff to do it.

Woo hoo! I was cleaning out a cabinet that I'm donating to a needy family and... presto.
There it was.... something I thought was lost or stolen a few years ago.

The guitar pick that Steve Howe (Yes) used in the Bloomingtion, IL concert back in '08.

*whew* :thup:

:beer:

It's Karma! Just like on "My Name is Earl".

While looking for season 6 of Samcro (sons of anarchy) since Netflix only the 5 seasons, I stumbled across this website that has just about everything..including season 6 of SOA.
Watch Online Sons of Anarchy Season 6 Episode 12 - You Are My Sunshine - Watch Series

The link takes you to where I had it bookmarked but you can see the other seasons by clicking Previous Episode. Click the home button and you can find other shows, too. This is the website I watched to see ALL of Walking Dead, which I didn't ever see before but am now all caught up.

I'll tell ya something... I haven't bought a new movie in probably 3 or 4 months, and I finally bought "A Million Ways To Die In The West." I thought this was finally something that looked good that I was going to enjoy, but after watching it, I have no doubt in my mind why hollywood is hurting. The FILTH, the SMUT and the DEBAUCHERY in that movie is simply disgusting. No wonder our nation is turning into an immoral toilet. What absolute GARBAGE. If I could take the movie back and get a refund I would. The thing is, they could have made that movie MINUS all the TRASH, and it would have been a funny movie. What a complete disappointment. I'm about ready to completely dismantle my home theater and sell it off. I don't hold out any hope for anything decent to come out of that cess pool they call the entertainment industry anymore.

You should do a quick check on IMDB or something like that before you buy a movie. That one is made by Seth MacFarlane, the creator of Family Guy. That's the style of humor he's known for in all of his work.

I also think comedy may be the hardest genre of movie to do well. It is so incredibly subjective.
I will next time, Mont. But ya know, I'm just a sucker for anything done in a western format. I automatically think I'll like it. Not the case here, because there's nothing subjective about the vulgarity and smut in this flick. I put it on the very bottom of my movie rack with the rest of the trash movies I'll never watch again, like "Your Highness."

Last edited:

Forum List

Back