USMB Coffee Shop IV

I'll tell ya something... I haven't bought a new movie in probably 3 or 4 months, and I finally bought "A Million Ways To Die In The West." I thought this was finally something that looked good that I was going to enjoy, but after watching it, I have no doubt in my mind why hollywood is hurting. The FILTH, the SMUT and the DEBAUCHERY in that movie is simply disgusting. No wonder our nation is turning into an immoral toilet. What absolute GARBAGE. If I could take the movie back and get a refund I would. The thing is, they could have made that movie MINUS all the TRASH, and it would have been a funny movie. What a complete disappointment. I'm about ready to completely dismantle my home theater and sell it off. I don't hold out any hope for anything decent to come out of that cess pool they call the entertainment industry anymore.

Or you could do what we do which is invest in the older classic movies that don't depend on gratuitous sex and violence to be great movies. I count movies like "Ghost" or "My Cousin VInny" or "Moonstruck" or "Dave" or "Chocolat" or "Speed" or the "Pirates of the Carribean" and "Zorro" movies among the classics any more. :) I have a cabinet full of them and still need to replace a few old VHS tapes with CDs. Every now and then a good new movie does come out. One of my favorites among the newer movies was "The Blind Side" which shows Sandra Bulloch in a kind of role she almost never plays but even that movie is five years old now. "Secretariat" made about the same time is another good one. But no gratuitous sex or violence in those movies. That's indicative of how few really good movies are made these days.

But I hold out hope. I am seeing real melodies gradually come back into music and it does seem that Hollywood is waking up to the fact that good movies are selling better than those based on gratuitous sex and violence.

OK... what happened to Ollie... or can I ask?

I don't know for sure but I think he didn't like the new software more than he liked us. :( But he did come back to get Mrs. O on the vigil list. I just hope he's still reading in so he knows he is loved and is a missed person.
He's prolly spending more time at his other site. :dunno:

Good Morning All !

chickenthursday.jpg

I got hooked into the old tavern when I first joined and it was a close group. Mertex among others can attest to that. I miss it and the group that used to post there.

The CS seemed the same. A good group of people who generally liked each other and had formed something of a bond.

I know Foxy has generated a great atmosphere in this place. I also know real life often intrudes. I hope people who have posted here for years continue to do so. I will admit I am a newbie compared to many of you here....but it is a good group and you all have built something here. It would be a shame to throw it away. :)
Pretty much spot on, WQ. :thup: I like to make a daily pit stop here because of the crowd and atmosphere, too. It can also be a great respite from the main body of USMB. ;)

OK... what happened to Ollie... or can I ask?

I don't know for sure but I think he didn't like the new software more than he liked us. :( But he did come back to get Mrs. O on the vigil list. I just hope he's still reading in so he knows he is loved and is a missed person.

Might be a bit more complicated than just a software issue for Ollie.

Well you never know unless people tell you, and he didn't. But I am unaware of any bridges burned, so I still hold out hope that he will eventually come back.

I got hooked into the old tavern when I first joined and it was a close group. Mertex among others can attest to that. I miss it and the group that used to post there.

The CS seemed the same. A good group of people who generally liked each other and had formed something of a bond.

I know Foxy has generated a great atmosphere in this place. I also know real life often intrudes. I hope people who have posted here for years continue to do so. I will admit I am a newbie compared to many of you here....but it is a good group and you all have built something here. It would be a shame to throw it away. :)

It is a good group of people who come here, but I won't take credit for the great atmosphere. It was definitely a group effort. And I don't think of you as a newbie at all. You're definitely one of the family subject, loved and appreciated and subject to all the abuse anybody else has to take. :)

I usually get hooked on shows way after they are popular. I'll have to check out House of Cards
I could not stop watching it. Try a couple. Omg.
Thanks! I had it in my Netflix queue then stopped Netlix after binging all all seasons of the best series I have ever seen--Breaking Bad. Plus Net didn't have Fargo. I may still go back.

I usually get hooked on shows way after they are popular. I'll have to check out House of Cards
Thanks! I had it in my Netflix queue then stopped Netlix after binging all all seasons of the best series I have ever seen--Breaking Bad. Plus Net didn't have Fargo. I may still go back.
Breaking Bad was what got me started on Netflix, seasons into it. Now they play on AMC so I get it there.

Great show! Playing catchup hours at a time is fun.

Fall is nice because I get to relax a bit from the landcape season. Still have to consider winter already. Equipment repairs or replacements need to be decided. Figuring out when the leaves will actually need to be raked. Anyone else thinking ahead? Holidays perhaps?

It is a good group of people who come here, but I won't take credit for the great atmosphere. It was definitely a group effort. And I don't think of you as a newbie at all. You're definitely one of the family subject, loved and appreciated and subject to all the abuse anybody else has to take. :)

Thank you kind lady. But you are too modest. You run a classy place here. :)

Breaking Bad was what got me started on Netflix, seasons into it. Now they play on AMC so I get it there.

I watched the seasons when I wasn't getting out much. I had Netflix but never really watched it much. Now I love it.

The new ignore feature with this format is a winner though

I don't understand with all the mods why some of the trolls aren't dealt with. I get snark and I get the flame zone, but derailing thread after thread with troll posts is too annoying.

Well post count is money when you want money from advertisers. The advertisers apparently don't care about content on a message board but are only concerned that there is high traffic to see their ads. And the trolls all post a lot.

I suppose that who we define as a troll - or maybe not - may also depend on our own political proclivities. Surely this is -to a point- a matter of perspective: one man's troll may be another man's hero - perhaps, but not always. And I would also say that post count does not necessarily make a troll; I consider that argument to be a fallacy. Were that the case, then I guess that makes me and a number of other people who post regularly here in the CS trolls. lol...

At the risk of sounding political (which is not my intent), I see trolls on both major sides of the political spectrum here in USMB, also on the other sides less dicussed, like the Libertarian side. Being a human being like everyone else, I may tend to see less of the LW trolls, while the words of RW trolls may be magnified in my eyes, since that is also human nature. But there are also some trolls who are neither LW nor RW, but just plain old vicious, rabid racists or anti-semites and indeed, they tend to post a lot and generally receive rotting fruit from all of us. Even so, were they to come to the CS, I would welcome them, just as Foxfyre and so many other members welcome everyone.

I just felt the need to clarify that so that were this disussion to continue, we would not be devolving into code words. For that would be a shame, n'est ce pas?

:)

Trolls exist of all political denominations here at USMB. The most blatant trolls I ignore. They are utterly predictable and frankly boring. The racial trolls I find the most disturbing....and they are both black and white.

I watched the seasons when I wasn't getting out much. I had Netflix but never really watched it much. Now I love it.

I feel really kind of uprooted, lol. I have never had netflix, because I believe it started up after I moved to Germany. But I have dear friends in NE Ohio (Elyria), they are a pastor team and don't want their kids to watch TV, so they only get netflix when they think there is something worthwhile for their kids.

Sarah, I watched what I considered a great series, called Damages. It starred Glenn Close as a mean and very competently corrupt lawyer in NY,( I think. )Every episode had well-know names starring it it, and usually playing ruthless or greedy characters. Ted Danson did his job well, on that series. Murder and mayhem. It is high drama all the way through. I may watch it again if I go back to Net. I have to wait and see what my job responsibility's are going to be. It's been years since I watched it and I have forgotten so much and hope it is still on Netflix. The acting, superbly convincing.

Trolls exist of all political denominations here at USMB. The most blatant trolls I ignore. They are utterly predictable and frankly boring. The racial trolls I find the most disturbing....and they are both black and white.
I stay out of the threads they are in, as soon as I discover them, posting.

True. But to know how a vile mind works is an education

Forum List

Back