USMB Coffee Shop IV

I hate like hell sitting in a room with someone, carrying on an important conversation, only to have it interrupted repeatedly by them exchanging text messages with their little friend.

We have one of those $10 gas station phones we carry with us. We use it to call for help if we get a flat tire or to let others know we're running late for an appointment, stuff like that. I think we use it maybe 5 minutes per month.

I saw a couple recently in a restaurant who were sitting together at the same table, but didn't speak to each other the whole time because they were playing on their cells. Lol! I thought maybe that's how they communicate with one another.

IMG_7043.png

It's the kind of day that makes November infamous. Overcast and rainy and temps in the high 30s so life outside is just like standing in a refrigerator in the rain.

Tuesday night I drove up to Monaca, PA and the Beaver Valley Mall. It's an old mall, built in the early 1970s. I used to take high school dates there to eat, watch people and take in a movie at the Cineplex. Movies like Chinatown, The Sting, The Godfather, Being There. Real movies, not comic books on film.

Anyway, I was wandering the mall and I heard Carol King sing about how she felt the earth move under her feet and Eric Burdon and War tell the story of the Cisco Kid and how he was a friend of mine.

I realized that I had made it to the future, while surrounded by familiarity. Today's mall has cellular telephone company stores plying their trade. We had no such technology back in 1974. There were giant television screens advertising shiatsu massage therapy and tattoo parlors. The kids who are now in the roles of me and my high school girlfriends all had their necks bent toward the phone as they texted one another. We would simply speak without the aid of hand held, wireless telephony. I wonder what they are trying to say to one another?

I bought my brother the annual Lenox porcelain snowflake ornament for this year's Christmas tree. I have given him a Lenox porcelain snowflake each year for the past thirty years. I think he could pawn all those ornaments and buy himself a nice used car! Based on what the wide wide world of the interweb says, the replacement value of some of the ornaments can approach $400 or more.

I tried to buy my 2015 wall calendar for the kitchen, but the selection is still too sparse. On the other hand, three years ago I farted around until the week between Christmas and New Year's Day and could find calendars with kittens, professional wrestlers and the sketches of Thomas Kincaid and nothing else.

So my quest to document appointments in 2015 goes on, even as I found a way to go back to 1975.

Hombre and I have operated a business out of our home for years and when we finally closed it up and retired, we still spend a lot of our waking hours in the same home office where our big computers and other electronic stuff is, comfy office chairs, nice spacious desks--except that mine always looks like a recycling bin exploded on it--and we do mostly stuff we want to do now. And we're in the nerve center of the home--the front door a few steps away when people come--the kitchen just to my right where its easy to get up and check something on the stove, the large family room and big screen TV in full view of our desks.

But what you are saying fully hit me just recently. Our desks are maybe four feet apart with me facing northeast and him facing southeast so we really aren't looking at each other. But on a whim, he sent me an instant message on my computer, and I responded, and we communicated back and forth that way for maybe five minutes. Until it hit me.....what a sign of the times. . .
I'm not a luddite. I appreciate the convenience of the cellular telephone. I can see how it would be a useful tool with active teenagers in the house.

But I do not own a cell phone. I'm not convinced that our contemporary society is fully in tune with the etiquette needed with open, public communications. I've seen one girl take a cell phone call while standing before a casket at a funeral parlor. I've had dates take phone calls at the table at restaurants, making me as relevant to the scene as the salt and pepper shakers on the table. People seem to be talking out loud to themselves in grocery store aisles and I have answered their questions before I knew they had a phone attached to their ear. Pop wondered incredulously "What the hell do all these people have to talk about?" as he watched private conversations taking place in public spaces. I have never sent a message by electronic text.

Once a latter day Emily Post establishes some guidelines, maybe I'll get one of those phones. But that would mean constant contact, constant accessibility. I do not want that. Privacy and quiet are two simple pleasures we cannot afford to lose.
On the up side, if you talk to yourself in the car people will assume you're on the phone :)
I often singe in the car. But I've been told I make a 'Joe Cocker' face while singing. It's white boy soul.

But if I'm making the Joe Face, onlookers might assume I'm 'making' something else!
Soooooo, what do you singe in the car......? Do we need to do intervention.......? :eusa_whistle:
Sorry but we aren't impressed with Albuquerque, it just doesn't "fit" us, if you know what I mean. If we move down to NM we would most likely choose Santa Fe, it has that "it fits" us feel to it.

I can appreciate that. As I have said, Santa Fe is the closest thing I have to a home town and I love it, but I wouldn't want to live there. But lots of folks must love living there or nobody would.

I'm a bit peeved tonight. Couple of days ago a guy that has bought from me before, came by to look at some stuff hubby picked up at local garage sales. Being in a hurry cuz he arrived without notice, we quickly showed him a few items so he could get an idea of what we had to sell and he was to come back later that afternoon for the bargaining. Unfortunately, he palmed two items, which we did not notice until after he left. So we called him asking if he mistakenly put the items in his pocket during the hurry session because they were not on the counter where we left them for him. Gone. He never returned our calls, which we did numerous times. By then we realized he stole them.

So after a few days, I posted a warning in Craigslist to beware of anyone coming to look at items of value that could be stolen easily and to meet at the local police department outside on the curb if need be, just to be safe. I didn't name the guy or give any clues to his identity but he must have had a guilty conscience cuz he placed FOUR ads in CL naming both me and hubby and our address and our phone number, claiming we were thieves and steal from garage sales. FOUR ads. So CL pulls MY ad and leaves HIS up..with our full names, address and phone number.

Pretty pissed.

I'm a bit peeved tonight. Couple of days ago a guy that has bought from me before, came by to look at some stuff hubby picked up at local garage sales. Being in a hurry cuz he arrived without notice, we quickly showed him a few items so he could get an idea of what we had to sell and he was to come back later that afternoon for the bargaining. Unfortunately, he palmed two items, which we did not notice until after he left. So we called him asking if he mistakenly put the items in his pocket during the hurry session because they were not on the counter where we left them for him. Gone. He never returned our calls, which we did numerous times. By then we realized he stole them.

So after a few days, I posted a warning in Craigslist to beware of anyone coming to look at items of value that could be stolen easily and to meet at the local police department outside on the curb if need be, just to be safe. I didn't name the guy or give any clues to his identity but he must have had a guilty conscience cuz he placed FOUR ads in CL naming both me and hubby and our address and our phone number, claiming we were thieves and steal from garage sales. FOUR ads. So CL pulls MY ad and leaves HIS up..with our full names, address and phone number.

Pretty pissed.

Isn't there some sort of legal recourse for that? Slander? Libel?

I reported the fake listing with my name and phone number that I did NOT list but it is still there. In fact, I reported it twice. If I have to change my phone number, CL is going to be paying for it that much I can guarantee you.

I'm not worried about the slander part. Small town and everyone knows us so his bullshit will be laughed at. Its the fake ad he placed that pisses me off that CL has not removed yet. It did not originate with my computer because I did not place it. Nor would I diss myself, nor have I ever given my phone number. I always use the automated email supplied by CL. So if it is still there tomorrow, then I will have to hunt CL down in another matter and call it to their attention but they don't make it easy.

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Pogo and Hobbes
Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, and Sheila's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Hombre,
Pix,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj and Nana,
Sheila's sore foot post surgery healing,
Complete healing for Mrs. Ringel and the Ringels in difficult transition,
Ollie and Mrs. O for a complete recovery,
GW's student/friend Sean, his injured brother, and their family,
Tresha and hubby,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
Safe travels for those traveling,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, Jughead, Sheila, and Becki and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

img_0322.png

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Pretty pissed.
Talk to a lawyer, Gracie. I can't believe there's no law here that hasn't been broken on his part. This guy sounds like an absolute psychopath. That's why if I sell something on craigslist, I meet them somewhere other than my home.

ksl jjpg.jpg
Another beautiful sun shiny day in the city; some smog, though.

However, this will change as the below should affect us.
  • ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — An explosive storm surpassing the intensity of 2012's Superstorm Sandy is expected to reach Alaska's western Aleutian Islands over the weekend and bring unseasonably frigid temperatures to much of the U.S. next week, weather forecasters said Thursday.

Intense storm headed to Alaska s Aleutian Islands - Yahoo News

Last edited:
Good morning all and I too heard on the news this morning that another polar vortex is headed for the Midwest and east--bitter cold and more. Looks like we'll be right on the western edge of it and probably won't get the bitter cold on our side of the mountain.

Good morning all and I too heard on the news this morning that another polar vortex is headed for the Midwest and east--bitter cold and more. Looks like we'll be right on the western edge of it and probably won't get the bitter cold on our side of the mountain.
The sun is shining brightly here so when I went out this morning it surprised me that it was this cold. I came back to get my coat. 43 today but next week, 30s for the high all week.

Pretty pissed.
Talk to a lawyer, Gracie. I can't believe there's no law here that hasn't been broken on his part. This guy sounds like an absolute psychopath. That's why if I sell something on craigslist, I meet them somewhere other than my home.
He's just pissed that he got busted. CL took ALL his posts down. I checked when I got up this morning.

And in future..anything I sell from now on is going to be in front of the sheriffs department.

Forum List

Back