USMB Coffee Shop IV

Nobody puts baby in the corner!
Good Morning! Boy some of you were up all night dirty dancing and playing loud music...

:)

MV5BMTI3OTM0NjY0MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTY2ODIzMw@@._V1_SY100_CR24,0,100,100_AL_.jpg

Nobody puts Baby in the corner. lol

I'll admit, I got a little tipsy last night and jammed out to some 80's tunes.

Hey, some of us don't even need substances to make us get a little tipsy and jam out to 80s tunes! :lol:

:lol:

I was celebrating some good news and I got a bit silly last night as a result.
You can give us your good news if you care to share it.

We were celebrating a recent purchase..a new cabin in the woods, a second home far from the city. The previous cabin burned down last year, such a drag to see all those memories vanish into ash and smoke. I sorely missed having a haven deep in the woods and now we have one again. Yay!

Oh for heaven's sake, Dirty Dancing was an iconic film. Classic and fun! You should watch it..
Not everyone agrees. 10 Iconic 8217 80s Movies That Are Actually Terrible 8211 Flavorwire.

Like I said,it's hard to explain but I found it just creepy.

I understand the hard to explain part. I don't like movies with a lot of gratuitous sex, violence, and profanity, but accept those where the sex, violence, and profanity are done--for want of a better term acceptably or tastefully--and are necessary to the plot. In "My Cousin Vinny" for instance, it just wouldn't have been the same movie without the "f" word.

But on the list you linked, I thoroughly enjoyed and still enjoy "Dirty Dancing", "Top Gun", and "Flashdance." Movies don't have to be real life or even perfectly done in order to be entertaining or the kind of movie you just settle back and lose yourself in for an hour and a half or so. Corny or cheesy? Who care?

I don't think "Beaches" or "Fatal Attraction" belong on that list either--while neither I would choose just to sit back and lose myself in the experience--both accomplished what the producers/directors were shooting for. "Beaches" had a great sound track too including the Grammy "Song of the Year" that year and one that has power to move me yet today:

OFFICIAL NOTICE FROM THE PRESIDENT OF THE BITCH ABOUT THE WEATHER CLUB -

It's 39 degrees and very windy outside today. The wind chill factor here is probably in the low 20's. I am not pleased with this type of weather.

That is all.

Courage BBD. This too shall pass. In four or five months.

From a guy perspective.....two guilty 80's pleasures.....The original Terminator and Robocop.

Yes....they are stupid movies....but I really liked them. The scene in Terminator were Ahnuld drives up to Sarah Connor's house and runs over the Tonka toy makes me laugh every time.

Dumb....but good dumb. :)

It's 39 degrees and very windy outside today. The wind chill factor here is probably in the low 20's. I am not pleased with this type of weather.

That is all.
It's getting colder here too now. Just make sure you have enough food, throw a log on the fire and settle in for the duration. Just like they do on Alaska the last frontier. :)

Another of my very favorite songs was from a movie I didn't like all that much. But the first time I ever noticed Barbra Streisand was when I was delivering a flower arrangement to a sick friend. She met me at the door and Barbra's iconic "The Way We Were" had just started playing on her stereo. I was absolutely taken in from the opening strains. Oddly, it is one song I don't think I have in all of my extensive music CD collection. I should remedy that. Why don't they write songs with great compelling melodies like that anymore? Have all the great melodies been used up? There are no more to write?

That is all.

I'm not ready or eager for cold weather. I seem to hate it more and more every year. I'd love to live someplace that is warmer year round but this old farm is where Mrs. BBD's heart and roots are at. She would never agree to sell out and move somewhere else and except for the cold weather I love living here. It's the quietest and most peaceful place I have ever lived. Just gets too cold in the winters. Besides, got too much invested in this place to up and leave it now.

That is all.

I'm not ready or eager for cold weather. I seem to hate it more and more every year. I'd love to live someplace that is warmer year round but this old farm is where Mrs. BBD's heart and roots are at. She would never agree to sell out and move somewhere else and except for the cold weather I love living here. It's the quietest and most peaceful place I have ever lived. Just gets too cold in the winters. Besides, got too much invested in this place to up and leave it now.

I think those of us who have all four seasons would miss that if one or more seasons were taken out of the equation.

Another of my very favorite songs was from a movie I didn't like all that much. But the first time I ever noticed Barbra Streisand was when I was delivering a flower arrangement to a sick friend. She met me at the door and Barbra's iconic "The Way We Were" had just started playing on her stereo. I was absolutely taken in from the opening strains. Oddly, it is one song I don't think I have in all of my extensive music CD collection. I should remedy that. Why don't they write songs with great compelling melodies like that anymore? Have all the great melodies been used up? There are no more to write?

My older sister had the soundtrack to this movie when I was a little kid. She played it to death. I must admit....some really good tunes. :)

That is all.

You are a good man, BBD. :thup: I hope you get a few Indian Summer days before the winter sets in.

From a guy perspective.....two guilty 80's pleasures.....The original Terminator and Robocop.

Yes....they are stupid movies....but I really liked them. The scene in Terminator were Ahnuld drives up to Sarah Connor's house and runs over the Tonka toy makes me laugh every time.

Dumb....but good dumb. :)

Robocop is a lot further on the dumb scale than Terminator, looking back. Or at least, a lot lower production value. :p

That is all.

Snow bird it, pard. Just take off for FL for a couple of the coldest months like Jan and Feb. Take that beautiful RV of your's down there and find a nice seaside RV park and there ya go! I think that's what I'm going to do eventually. I'll pull a trailer though so I can park that and then have a pickup to drive around. That will take the bite out of winter.

P.S. Say hi to Sherry!

Last edited:
Y'all come down to the Gulf Coast!

Cloudy and 77 here today with a 1 in 3 chance of getting some rain; pretty typical for this time of year. Damned good night at Doc's last night. We're on track to have our best week ever. The place, under the previous owners had a seedy reputation. It was dingy and dirty with girls dancing on the bar and frequent fisticuffs.
We've cleaned it up, removed that element and run a friendly neighborhood bar and more and more people are taking notice. We've been open for just over 8 months now and we're doing roughly 50% better than when we opened up.

It's the kind of day that makes November infamous. Overcast and rainy and temps in the high 30s so life outside is just like standing in a refrigerator in the rain.

Tuesday night I drove up to Monaca, PA and the Beaver Valley Mall. It's an old mall, built in the early 1970s. I used to take high school dates there to eat, watch people and take in a movie at the Cineplex. Movies like Chinatown, The Sting, The Godfather, Being There. Real movies, not comic books on film.

Anyway, I was wandering the mall and I heard Carol King sing about how she felt the earth move under her feet and Eric Burdon and War tell the story of the Cisco Kid and how he was a friend of mine.

I realized that I had made it to the future, while surrounded by familiarity. Today's mall has cellular telephone company stores plying their trade. We had no such technology back in 1974. There were giant television screens advertising shiatsu massage therapy and tattoo parlors. The kids who are now in the roles of me and my high school girlfriends all had their necks bent toward the phone as they texted one another. We would simply speak without the aid of hand held, wireless telephony. I wonder what they are trying to say to one another?

I bought my brother the annual Lenox porcelain snowflake ornament for this year's Christmas tree. I have given him a Lenox porcelain snowflake each year for the past thirty years. I think he could pawn all those ornaments and buy himself a nice used car! Based on what the wide wide world of the interweb says, the replacement value of some of the ornaments can approach $400 or more.

I tried to buy my 2015 wall calendar for the kitchen, but the selection is still too sparse. On the other hand, three years ago I farted around until the week between Christmas and New Year's Day and could find calendars with kittens, professional wrestlers and the sketches of Thomas Kincaid and nothing else.

So my quest to document appointments in 2015 goes on, even as I found a way to go back to 1975.

Cloudy and 77 here today with a 1 in 3 chance of getting some rain; pretty typical for this time of year. Damned good night at Doc's last night. We're on track to have our best week ever. The place, under the previous owners had a seedy reputation. It was dingy and dirty with girls dancing on the bar and frequent fisticuffs.
We've cleaned it up, removed that element and run a friendly neighborhood bar and more and more people are taking notice. We've been open for just over 8 months now and we're doing roughly 50% better than when we opened up.

That's great Ernie. I hope you get filthy rich.

It's the kind of day that makes November infamous. Overcast and rainy and temps in the high 30s so life outside is just like standing in a refrigerator in the rain.

Tuesday night I drove up to Monaca, PA and the Beaver Valley Mall. It's an old mall, built in the early 1970s. I used to take high school dates there to eat, watch people and take in a movie at the Cineplex. Movies like Chinatown, The Sting, The Godfather, Being There. Real movies, not comic books on film.

Anyway, I was wandering the mall and I heard Carol King sing about how she felt the earth move under her feet and Eric Burdon and War tell the story of the Cisco Kid and how he was a friend of mine.

I realized that I had made it to the future, while surrounded by familiarity. Today's mall has cellular telephone company stores plying their trade. We had no such technology back in 1974. There were giant television screens advertising shiatsu massage therapy and tattoo parlors. The kids who are now in the roles of me and my high school girlfriends all had their necks bent toward the phone as they texted one another. We would simply speak without the aid of hand held, wireless telephony. I wonder what they are trying to say to one another?

I bought my brother the annual Lenox porcelain snowflake ornament for this year's Christmas tree. I have given him a Lenox porcelain snowflake each year for the past thirty years. I think he could pawn all those ornaments and buy himself a nice used car! Based on what the wide wide world of the interweb says, the replacement value of some of the ornaments can approach $400 or more.

I tried to buy my 2015 wall calendar for the kitchen, but the selection is still too sparse. On the other hand, three years ago I farted around until the week between Christmas and New Year's Day and could find calendars with kittens, professional wrestlers and the sketches of Thomas Kincaid and nothing else.

So my quest to document appointments in 2015 goes on, even as I found a way to go back to 1975.

Hombre and I have operated a business out of our home for years and when we finally closed it up and retired, we still spend a lot of our waking hours in the same home office where our big computers and other electronic stuff is, comfy office chairs, nice spacious desks--except that mine always looks like a recycling bin exploded on it--and we do mostly stuff we want to do now. And we're in the nerve center of the home--the front door a few steps away when people come--the kitchen just to my right where its easy to get up and check something on the stove, the large family room and big screen TV in full view of our desks.

But what you are saying fully hit me just recently. Our desks are maybe four feet apart with me facing northeast and him facing southeast so we really aren't looking at each other. But on a whim, he sent me an instant message on my computer, and I responded, and we communicated back and forth that way for maybe five minutes. Until it hit me.....what a sign of the times. . .

I hope you get rich too. You work hard. :)

Forum List

Back