USMB Coffee Shop IV

I can't believe Thanksgiving is a week from today...that means 3 more days of work, and then a 5 day vacation. The following Monday I will be flying to DC on business for the week...sure wish it was on a private plane like you guys have been talking about. I haven't been on a commercial plane since I went to Hawaii in '07. Also, I know I shouldn't bitch about the weather in my neck of the woods, but I've had enough of this cold spell...so happy that the high on Saturday will be 78.:banana:

Seems like a whole lot of loved ones, both friends and family, have been visiting in DC in recent days/weeks. My great niece is our state "Out of the Darkness" suicide prevention chairman and has had several trips to DC to participate in events there, meet with members of Congress, etc. Other friends and relatives are there on personal business or vacationing. Beautiful city and we have enjoyed visiting there but no way in heck I would want to live there. Daughter is soooooo happy to move back to California after working in DC for a number of years.

Unfortunately, this trip is strictly business. However, next fall the plan is to spend a week exploring...I'll be very lucky to be traveling with my own personal expert tour guide.:thup:

I know it is early for this, but this Sainsbury 2014 Christmas ad has gone viral. And I think it is pretty special. I don't know what Sainsbury is or what it sells, but I'll be looking for its products:

OMG! Foxy, that made me cry. Brits vs. Germans, both in trenches and it's Christmas. One Brit stands up, approaches the enemy. They end up having a wonderful Christmas celebration together...until artillery fire brings them back to "reality".
It is so sad that our enemies are people too, like us...they cherish their families, enjoy small delights, and are so very, very much like us...

My parents worked as civilian employees at the POW base between Roswell and Dexter NM (Dexter is 15 miles south of Roswell) during WWII. The German boys shipped to that camp, at least during most of the war, were all just regular people and the community pretty much took them in. They were almost all trustees allowed to go into the surrounding countryside and work on the farms which they loved doing. My mom wrote to two of those boys for years after the war. The communication stopped when the Iron Curtain came down. She told me she always wondered what happened to them.

One thing I took away from "We Were Soldiers" was the fact that whatever political or ideological reasons bring soldiers to a place where doing their duty requires them to kill other human beings, when all is said and done, each soldier fights for the men next to him on the line, or to protect his home and family. The men and women on the "other" side are most likely equally committed to defending those they care for, not the ruling elite.

Never mind with the link at youtube. It's in russian, no subtitles. :(
Thanks. I'll deal with it. There was another movie a couple of weeks ago on Sunday evening. It was in Russian and German with English subtitles. I was pleased I still understood most of what was being said. (I am familiar with both Russian and German.)

I know it is early for this, but this Sainsbury 2014 Christmas ad has gone viral. And I think it is pretty special. I don't know what Sainsbury is or what it sells, but I'll be looking for its products:

OMG! Foxy, that made me cry. Brits vs. Germans, both in trenches and it's Christmas. One Brit stands up, approaches the enemy. They end up having a wonderful Christmas celebration together...until artillery fire brings them back to "reality".
It is so sad that our enemies are people too, like us...they cherish their families, enjoy small delights, and are so very, very much like us...

You should watch the whole movie. Got goosebumps and even cried a scant few times. Very moving. Link is a page or two back. Not the first one. This one.
Watch Joyeux Noel 2005 Online for Free - Viooz

Its in english..with subtitles when the french or germans are talking.

I plan on watching it, but without the subtitles. I need the practice.

Time to sweep snow off of a couple of dozen vehicles. Hopefully the two all wheel drive Journeys I bought Tuesday show up before I have to take a truck for a spray in bedliner at 2:30.
141119_buffalo_snow_lg.jpg
Yup! Saw that this morning on the news. Reminds me of a couple of winters ago here. Oh, well, sucks to be them...really!

Morning everyone! Nothing new to report, except that my baby girl just turned two today. She's gonna be 18 before I know it. :(
That's the truth. Don't take too long a nap, Sixfoot. My baby girl turned 32 last month, and her oldest baby girl will be 13 in January. Where the time goes...hell, I wish I knew so I could go scoop some of it back up into my life.

I remember when I lived in Minnesota they had about a 7 foot snow storm in the northwestern part of the State. Because there are no trees the wind howls in the winter.

Long story short.....A few people could not get out of their houses for a few days. Snow drifts went up over 2nd story roofs. The snow just kept piling up against anything that would stop it.....(like a home).

Now that is messed up.

o-HOUSE-BURIED-SNOW-facebook.jpg
For those who have never been able to visualize hell freezing over...take a good look...

Thanks. I'll deal with it. There was another movie a couple of weeks ago on Sunday evening. It was in Russian and German with English subtitles. I was pleased I still understood most of what was being said. (I am familiar with both Russian and German.)
Definitely not Christmas but if you like well made war movies, the Russian made film The Brest Fortress.

Definitely not Christmas but if you like well made war movies, the Russian made film The Brest Fortress.

First, explain that Brest is a place, for those whose minds hover at lower levels...
I am so going to download both those movies. My Russian is so rusty, I'll have to watch a couple of times, but they both look well worth the time and effort.
Thank you!

First, explain that Brest is a place, for those whose minds hover at lower levels...
I am so going to download both those movies. My Russian is so rusty, I'll have to watch a couple of times, but they both look well worth the time and effort.
Thank you!

It is online with English subtitles.

This one:

Last edited:
Went to see Mockingjay yesterday. It was AMAZING, can't wait for the last one! 364 days to go...

Haven't been on for a few days, sorry about that. Arguments and unhappy home life, etc. Was forced to miss a class last night (Tracy's class) to attend some stupid memorial for my gran, which wasn't even for her anyway. Total waste of time, and even my dad agreed. Pity I don't have enough money to make a break just yet, but I am going to try to save, get another job (and keep it from mum) and get out of here. If I have to live in my car, so be it. I'm prepared for it now.

Went to see Mockingjay yesterday. It was AMAZING, can't wait for the last one! 364 days to go...

Haven't been on for a few days, sorry about that. Arguments and unhappy home life, etc. Was forced to miss a class last night (Tracy's class) to attend some stupid memorial for my gran, which wasn't even for her anyway. Total waste of time, and even my dad agreed. Pity I don't have enough money to make a break just yet, but I am going to try to save, get another job (and keep it from mum) and get out of here. If I have to live in my car, so be it. I'm prepared for it now.
Get a van. They are roomie enough where if you DO have to live in a car, thats the kind to live in. Which is why I bought mine. I LOVE that van. Love it.
But I hope it won't come to that for you.

Thank you!

This one:

Spacibo, vam!

Hell, I did that as soon as I graduated high school at 18. Times they are a-changin', I suppose.

My parents worked as civilian employees at the POW base between Roswell and Dexter NM (Dexter is 15 miles south of Roswell) during WWII. The German boys shipped to that camp, at least during most of the war, were all just regular people and the community pretty much took them in. They were almost all trustees allowed to go into the surrounding countryside and work on the farms which they loved doing. My mom wrote to two of those boys for years after the war. The communication stopped when the Iron Curtain came down. She told me she always wondered what happened to them.

One thing I took away from "We Were Soldiers" was the fact that whatever political or ideological reasons bring soldiers to a place where doing their duty requires them to kill other human beings, when all is said and done, each soldier fights for the men next to him on the line, or to protect his home and family. The men and women on the "other" side are most likely equally committed to defending those they care for, not the ruling elite.

Thats what the soldiers said on all 3 fronts. They played ball, poker, danced, sang, protected each other during bombings of the trenches..german with french, both with scots. Just men, doing what they are told on the battlefield but then ceasing because they were not fighting the enemy..they were fighting for the elite. Then..they ALL got busted and disbanded for fratenizing with the enemy. Sad.

Thank you!

Your Russian? Did you learn Russian because you live so close to it? Or for some other reason?

I think GW was in the military, hence the linguistic abilities. He will correct me if I am wrong. :)

Thank you!

This one:

Watching it right now. :)

We've missed you Noomi. When there is a will there is a way. You'll figure out how to make it happen.

Forum List

Back