USMB Coffee Shop IV

I just want to know how some folks can get 2,000,000 Christmas lights to work outdoors in demand. My 600 just bit it.

I just want to know how some folks can get 2,000,000 Christmas lights to work outdoors in demand. My 600 just bit it.

Well one of the guys on Christmas Light fights that have been aired the last three Monday night said he replaced all his several hundred thousand lights every two years whether they needed it or not.

However when our lights went out a couple of days ago, Hombre thought they had bit it since they were getting pretty old. So he hotfoots it over to Lowes and buys new lights. When he gets home he pushes the plug for the old lights all the way in and ever one of them came on. So we now have a good supply of backup lights. :)

Good idea on checking how well the lights were plugged in, no better results though. Three of the light strands are new this year.

Morning. Decided yesterday to give my chin and upper lip a rest, shaved of the mustache and goatee, been on there for 10 years, gotta give the skin a chance to "breathe" from time to time.
But dayamn does it look strange....... :lol:
10 years??? Piker! This July 9th will be 42 years since I shaved off the beard.

OK dilemma at Doc's.
Last night was poker night. 20 people in the first tournament. Once the 2 tables have combined, some of those out of the tournament get involved in what we call "quick 20" with unlimited buy backs.
We have one player that plays fast and loose. Last night, no one was letting him get off on bluffs and he lost over $100. He eventually left the table in disgust and sat with his wife at the bar. They got into an argument and he slapped her HARD at MY bar.
My bartender came over and told me and I went to him and told him "good night"
He replied, "We'll be leaving soon".
I repeated "Good night", stepped back, leaving him room to stand. He ignored me and continued a conversation with another customer. I told my bartender to take their drinks off the bar.
He got the idea that I was serious, maybe while staring at the bulge near my waist band and they left.
Dilemma:
I love the man's wife and his money. I'm leaning towards permanently banning him, but that will accomplish nothing for the wife. Another idea is to bar him for a month with the stipulation that if it ever happens again, the law will be there to remove him along with all the trouble that would cause.

You're more refined than I. His indicator that things were not right would have been trying to find his teeth. The level of respect generated usually returns the friendship to where it belongs.

Oh, I'm no more refined than anyone, just concerned about any scene I might create inside of my place of business. On the street, all bets are off.
He's a good deal bigger than me, but after sizing me up, he decided that pushing the matter might be fatal. I'd always rather influence a good decision rather than make one I'd regret in a situation like that.

Okay my Christmas present I bought for myself (the Tulle flintlock) arrived today, much earlier than expected. Well pretty disappointed, looks like there's a lot more work involved than I was lead to believe, work that I'm not sure I can do without screwing it up. Basically lots of inletting and drilling as well as a little more than the expected metal filing and "furniture" finishing. It may go back........

So there's a limit how much challenge you want?
When ya plop down almost $900 for a musket kit yeah, there's a fear of really screwing it up and having an ugly $900 club. As it is no diagram (plan) came with the kit but I did get a book on building flintlocks and I found a video series where a guy builds a similar kit. Combine that with the help I'm already getting on the muzzelloading forum I'm on my initial shock is wearing off and my confidence is returning. Most of the tools I'll need I already have but there are a few items I'll have to purchase, they won't cost much.
Ya have to realize the only other kit I ever did was a 1861 Colt revolver and it was easy, required much, much less wok than this one will, it was almost "plug and play" this one I'll have to cut in mortises, work the inletting so the hardware fits properly, drill for bolts and pins and drill the touch hole (the hole in the barrel at the flash pan).

154_flintlock_parts_chart.jpg

Thought it was pretty funny. :lol:

Seriously you could just do it the "old fashioned" way. Boil a pot of water, take the pot off the burner and throw the coffee grounds in the water, let it steep for 3 minutes, stir and steep for another 3 minutes. Slowly pour the coffee through a filter into a cup or other container to filter out the grounds. If you have a drip maker put the filter in it with the carafe underneath as usual and manually pour the coffee through the filter. Ya have to be slow so as to let the coffee drain into the carafe.
Around here, I boil the grounds in the water, when it's done, a teaspoon of cold water settles the grounds and makes a fine pot of coffee.

Good to see BBD popped in. Too bad about the musket, Ringel.
I'm glad I have no compelling reason to decorate for Christmas. As a matter of fact, with five cats in residence, putting up a tree is almost insane...unless you intend to gift the kitties with a tree full of fun things to knock down and smack around the house.
Still no snow to speak of here. Lots of heavy frost, though. I'm not going to complain because the warmer temps and lack of snow make life for the outdoorsy critters so much better.
I am finishing up my holiday bake-fest. Snickerdoodles are the last addition to the feast. I have a variety of cheese treats, as well as peanut brittle, marshmallow fudge, and gingerbread. It's not all sugary stuff, which I like better.
The next couple of days will be a whirlwind of social engagements for me. OK, gift exchange with my best friend tomorrow and a visit with another couple on Christmas. That's a whirlwind in my life...

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Sheila and Hombre's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Pix,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj and Nana,
Complete healing for Mrs. Ringel and the Ringels in difficult transition,
Ollie and Mrs. O for a complete recovery,
Mr. H and his friend,
GW's daughter's friend Sachenda,
Ernie's friend and colleague, Max,
Boedicca's mom for healing and relief from pain,
Alan1 for good treatment results,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
Safe travels for those traveling,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, Jughead, Sheila, and Becki and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

[
Candle_In_Window.jpg

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

My coffee pot broke and I'm pissed.

You don't have backup? Ya GOTTA have backup.

I broke my French press a few weeks ago. Had to go to the backup French press. I have a regular grinder, a backup regular grinder, a burr grinder, an hand-crank grinder if the power fails (actually two), an automatic drip machine, and an espresso pot.

:coffee:

I broke my French press a few weeks ago. Had to go to the backup French press. I have a regular grinder, a backup regular grinder, a burr grinder, an hand-crank grinder if the power fails (actually two), an automatic drip machine, and an espresso pot.

I just go to Dunkin Donuts. :D Medium ice coffee, light with extra sugar please!

You'd think with all the money I have I'd think of this stuff. Time for an upgrade. Any suggestions anybody?

I have 7 espresso percolators from 3 oz up to 32 oz, 2 electric espresso machines that I rarely use, one enameled regular coffee percolator 2 French presses, one 32 cup electric percolator, one Mr Coffee drip machine and 2 Keurigs.
One Keurig, the drip pot and 3 espresso perks reside at Doc's as does one blade grinder. The burr grinder stays home.
I'm looking to get a commercial type espresso machine for Doc's. I find I could make a few bucks on Cuban coffee.

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Sheila and Hombre's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Pix,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj and Nana,
Complete healing for Mrs. Ringel and the Ringels in difficult transition,
Ollie and Mrs. O for a complete recovery,
Mr. H and his friend,
GW's daughter's friend Sachenda,
Ernie's friend and colleague, Max,
Boedicca's mom for healing and relief from pain,
Alan1 for good treatment results,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
Safe travels for those traveling,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, Jughead, Sheila, and Becki and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

[
Candle_In_Window.jpg

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.
Morning all! Fox, that picture is so pretty I'm stealing it for my buffet table tonight....simple but elegant. It's the feast of the seven fishes night (yuk, lol)

Okay my Christmas present I bought for myself (the Tulle flintlock) arrived today, much earlier than expected. Well pretty disappointed, looks like there's a lot more work involved than I was lead to believe, work that I'm not sure I can do without screwing it up. Basically lots of inletting and drilling as well as a little more than the expected metal filing and "furniture" finishing. It may go back........

So there's a limit how much challenge you want?
When ya plop down almost $900 for a musket kit yeah, there's a fear of really screwing it up and having an ugly $900 club. As it is no diagram (plan) came with the kit but I did get a book on building flintlocks and I found a video series where a guy builds a similar kit. Combine that with the help I'm already getting on the muzzelloading forum I'm on my initial shock is wearing off and my confidence is returning. Most of the tools I'll need I already have but there are a few items I'll have to purchase, they won't cost much.
Ya have to realize the only other kit I ever did was a 1861 Colt revolver and it was easy, required much, much less wok than this one will, it was almost "plug and play" this one I'll have to cut in mortises, work the inletting so the hardware fits properly, drill for bolts and pins and drill the touch hole (the hole in the barrel at the flash pan).

154_flintlock_parts_chart.jpg

I tried building a flintlock pistol years ago. I made the barrel out of brass and went to night school so I could turn it on a lathe. I purchased the lock mechanism ready made, and made a trigger guard. I made the handle out of a piece of mahogany. But in the end I never finished it. I still have all the bits though.

Forum List

Back