USMB Coffee Shop IV

Okay my Christmas present I bought for myself (the Tulle flintlock) arrived today, much earlier than expected. Well pretty disappointed, looks like there's a lot more work involved than I was lead to believe, work that I'm not sure I can do without screwing it up. Basically lots of inletting and drilling as well as a little more than the expected metal filing and "furniture" finishing. It may go back........

So there's a limit how much challenge you want?
When ya plop down almost $900 for a musket kit yeah, there's a fear of really screwing it up and having an ugly $900 club. As it is no diagram (plan) came with the kit but I did get a book on building flintlocks and I found a video series where a guy builds a similar kit. Combine that with the help I'm already getting on the muzzelloading forum I'm on my initial shock is wearing off and my confidence is returning. Most of the tools I'll need I already have but there are a few items I'll have to purchase, they won't cost much.
Ya have to realize the only other kit I ever did was a 1861 Colt revolver and it was easy, required much, much less wok than this one will, it was almost "plug and play" this one I'll have to cut in mortises, work the inletting so the hardware fits properly, drill for bolts and pins and drill the touch hole (the hole in the barrel at the flash pan).

154_flintlock_parts_chart.jpg

I tried building a flintlock pistol years ago. I made the barrel out of brass and went to night school so I could turn it on a lathe. I purchased the lock mechanism ready made, and made a trigger guard. I made the handle out of a piece of mahogany. But in the end I never finished it. I still have all the bits though.
Not sure I would want to fire a brass barrel pistol, even a flinter. To be safe your barrel would have to be exorbitantly thick which would make it unwieldy.

Yes, the barrel is thick. It is over 1 inch across and I drilled a small bore, to fire ball bearings. So there is plenty of thickness. It is a bit heavy though. But the problem is academic as I am not likely to finish it now, let alone fire it.

CD players are being phased out of vehicles starting in 2015...

Any reason why? I love playing CD's in the car.

Yes my entire music collection is on CDs except for a few albums on cassette that I just couldn't bear to part with (and we have some old boom boxes that still play them.) My great Bose radio and CD player in my office is one of my most favorite things in the house and the sound quality is soooooo good. . . .

I wouldn't have a clue how to go about getting MP3s or how to get them into something that would play them. And I don't want to have to buy all that music again.

Oh and the reason I read is that the CD player in your car weighs 5 pounds and they are trying to build cars lighter and more fuel efficient. Plus the kids aren't going for CDs much any more.

You can easily rip your CDs to mp3 on the computer if you so desire. CDs do take up a lot of space. It's a lot like the difference between paper books and an e-reader. It takes getting used to, but wow, the space you save! :lol:

Of course, I still have all of my books and CDs in boxes in a closet......

We are slowly culling out the books and giving them away or donating to libraries when we are reasonably certain we won't read or use them again. But I still have hundreds that I am not ready to part with. I love my Kindle too as a portable library - BUT - it really isn't the same as holding a book or easily going back to a previous chapter to check something and then resuming where you left off - having page numbers etc.

If finding a specific mp3 among the herd is as difficult as finding a particular name or other information among the wall of text on an e-reader, I won't like the transition.

I will miss the illustrations on the CD jackets and the list of all the songs and artists. But then I still miss the ambiance of playing my favorite vinyl records and yes, we still have some of our favorites of those along with a turn table to play them on.

Actually, the transition from CD to mp3 is much smoother than book to e-reader. You can usually search quite easily through an mp3 player and it allows you far more choice for how you play your music : instead of simply playing one CD, you can play every song you have in order, or randomly, pick a particular CD or band, make playlists, etc. I can't be sure how much flexibility the average mp3 player in a car has, though. I wouldn't be shocked if the manufacturers put cheap ones in there. :lol:

As far as CD jackets, usually you can see those on the computer and some mp3 players let you see at least the album art as well.

I find it far, far more enjoyable to be able to play from a larger selection of music than be limited to a single CD at a time.

Peace on Earth and goodwill towards all men. Women too.
And dogs, don't forget the dogs...might as well include cats in there somewhere, too.
Merry Christmas, BBD. Best wishes and good will to you and yours!

Please gallantwarrior, let's not get carried away with this idea... Dogs, ok. Cats? Not real sure about that.

Yes my entire music collection is on CDs except for a few albums on cassette that I just couldn't bear to part with (and we have some old boom boxes that still play them.) My great Bose radio and CD player in my office is one of my most favorite things in the house and the sound quality is soooooo good. . . .

I wouldn't have a clue how to go about getting MP3s or how to get them into something that would play them. And I don't want to have to buy all that music again.

Oh and the reason I read is that the CD player in your car weighs 5 pounds and they are trying to build cars lighter and more fuel efficient. Plus the kids aren't going for CDs much any more.
You can convert your cd's to mp3 quite easily on your computer. A 16 Gb flash drive will hold 5 or 6 thousand songs.

But I don't know where to get a 16 Gb flash drive, what that is, how to install one, or how to convert our cds to mp3s on it. (Really low tech here)
You can get one from any computer shop and it just plugs in to a usb port. It then installs itself as another drive.
Don't miss the icon on the toolbar which tells you to click on it before you remove it from the computer.

You can easily rip your CDs to mp3 on the computer if you so desire. CDs do take up a lot of space. It's a lot like the difference between paper books and an e-reader. It takes getting used to, but wow, the space you save! :lol:

We are slowly culling out the books and giving them away or donating to libraries when we are reasonably certain we won't read or use them again. But I still have hundreds that I am not ready to part with. I love my Kindle too as a portable library - BUT - it really isn't the same as holding a book or easily going back to a previous chapter to check something and then resuming where you left off - having page numbers etc.

If finding a specific mp3 among the herd is as difficult as finding a particular name or other information among the wall of text on an e-reader, I won't like the transition.

I will miss the illustrations on the CD jackets and the list of all the songs and artists. But then I still miss the ambiance of playing my favorite vinyl records and yes, we still have some of our favorites of those along with a turn table to play them on.

Actually, the transition from CD to mp3 is much smoother than book to e-reader. You can usually search quite easily through an mp3 player and it allows you far more choice for how you play your music : instead of simply playing one CD, you can play every song you have in order, or randomly, pick a particular CD or band, make playlists, etc. I can't be sure how much flexibility the average mp3 player in a car has, though. I wouldn't be shocked if the manufacturers put cheap ones in there. :lol:

As far as CD jackets, usually you can see those on the computer and some mp3 players let you see at least the album art as well.

I find it far, far more enjoyable to be able to play from a larger selection of music than be limited to a single CD at a time.

Yes, but you are young and accustomed to these new technie innovations. You've probably never owned a vinyl record. :) I am of a different generation, and while all the folks in my generation are obviously not at my low tech knowledge and skill level, a lot of us still appreciate a different aesthetic. But I have managed to adapt as necessary before and I'm sure I can again. I just frankly don't want to have to.

And I still don't want to have to buy all that music again.

Okay my Christmas present I bought for myself (the Tulle flintlock) arrived today, much earlier than expected. Well pretty disappointed, looks like there's a lot more work involved than I was lead to believe, work that I'm not sure I can do without screwing it up. Basically lots of inletting and drilling as well as a little more than the expected metal filing and "furniture" finishing. It may go back........

So there's a limit how much challenge you want?
When ya plop down almost $900 for a musket kit yeah, there's a fear of really screwing it up and having an ugly $900 club. As it is no diagram (plan) came with the kit but I did get a book on building flintlocks and I found a video series where a guy builds a similar kit. Combine that with the help I'm already getting on the muzzelloading forum I'm on my initial shock is wearing off and my confidence is returning. Most of the tools I'll need I already have but there are a few items I'll have to purchase, they won't cost much.
Ya have to realize the only other kit I ever did was a 1861 Colt revolver and it was easy, required much, much less wok than this one will, it was almost "plug and play" this one I'll have to cut in mortises, work the inletting so the hardware fits properly, drill for bolts and pins and drill the touch hole (the hole in the barrel at the flash pan).

154_flintlock_parts_chart.jpg

I tried building a flintlock pistol years ago. I made the barrel out of brass and went to night school so I could turn it on a lathe. I purchased the lock mechanism ready made, and made a trigger guard. I made the handle out of a piece of mahogany. But in the end I never finished it. I still have all the bits though.
Not sure I would want to fire a brass barrel pistol, even a flinter. To be safe your barrel would have to be exorbitantly thick which would make it unwieldy.

Yes, the barrel is thick. It is over 1 inch across and I drilled a small bore, to fire ball bearings. So there is plenty of thickness. It is a bit heavy though. But the problem is academic as I am not likely to finish it now, let alone fire it.
:thup:
There were brass barrel pistols made up to the Civil War (in the U.S.), most were light caliber derringer or "pocket" pistols and most of the later ones had pretty thick barrels. Depending on how much copper was in the alloy depended on how strong the metal was (is), the more copper the weaker it is though they tended to split as opposed to explode if the barrel failed.
Even steel barrels failed, barrels tended to be much thinner than they are today and early barrels were formed out of a sheet of metal as opposed to a solid blank being bored out so those made from a metal sheet had a seam running the length of the barrel. One of the other, more expensive and more valuable forms of making barrels was the Damascus barrel, flat steel "wire" rolled and worked into a barrel, if properly done very strong with a unique gorgeous finish.

shotgun+barrelLR.jpg

And dogs, don't forget the dogs...might as well include cats in there somewhere, too.

Please gallantwarrior, let's not get carried away with this idea... Dogs, ok. Cats? Not real sure about that.
Cats rule..........

Dog%20Vs%20Cat-558-thumb-558x423-6331.jpg

:D

Looks like BBD's brood. He must have taught them about cats. :)

Yes, but you are young and accustomed to these new technie innovations. You've probably never owned a vinyl record. :) I am of a different generation, and while all the folks in my generation are obviously not at my low tech knowledge and skill level, a lot of us still appreciate a different aesthetic. But I have managed to adapt as necessary before and I'm sure I can again. I just frankly don't want to have to.

And I still don't want to have to buy all that music again.

I'm not that young :lol:. I had some vinyl when I was young, although usually it was cassettes.

And while I'm reasonably tech-savvy, I suppose, there really isn't THAT much tech knowledge needed to convert your music to mp3. It can easily be researched on the internet and done completely free. There are numerous free programs out there that will rip the music from your CDs. You pop a CD into your PCs disk drive, click a couple of options on a program, and a short time later all the songs are on the computer in mp3 (or whatever you may want) format. Then I would imagine most mp3 players (or phones if you use one of those instead) are pretty much plug-n-play as far as loading music.

Well....maybe not if you use Apple products. They seem determined to complicate things in order to be sure they get all the $ from you they can. :rofl:

I had to add cats, three of them were watching me type. They usually don't get mad, but the get even can be, well, unpleasant.

I feel great! I got tons done this weekend, baking and prepping and getting last minute gift-wrapping finished. I'll be going up to my buddy's house as soon as his GF gets there so we can all unwrap those gifts. Might be a bit of a nosh, too.
I'm bringing a bunch of goodies to work tonight for the guys. Even if the boss does spring for a holiday treat, night shift usually gets short shrift and cold leftovers. Of course, feeding mechanics is like tossing chum to sharks. Once they get a whiff of blood, they come swarming in a frenzy.
Wishing all a wonderful holiday. Enjoy your families, the joy people seem to express, the great chow!

Forum List

Back