USMB Coffee Shop IV

I think I would probably be better off starting off working directly for an employer and that way, I can start making some connections. :) That sounds like a good plan to me. Anyone who has any sales experience, I would welcome your advice on the best ways to get started in this career.

Well, since you asked. :D

The first thing to do is find something you love and you'll never work a day in your life. If you don't like sales, or people, or what you are selling, you won't do well.

You have to first sell yourself. The customer has to like you. ( generally speaking )

Understand the best communication skill is, listening.

Looking professional, depending upon the kind of business, is important, too. It tells the customer, you have put some thought into yourself, for your job and they like that. It impresses them.

There are two areas in which outstanding salespeople make it to the top of their jobs.

One, is a natural ability to interact with a customer. Good, open body language and showing interest in them because you truly are. If you are dealing with women as well as men, and you are attractive, this attribute will help you overcome that fact, to a woman, if she considers attractive women as threats as so many do. You need to address most of your attention and remarks to her and not the object of her affection.

Two, is to have a strategy in selling. This comes with experience and I have it honed. :thup:

Some salespersons have both, one and two, and we rarely fail to make the sale.

All the best, ChrisL.

Great advice, but I was more wondering about technique. I know it's important to be able to read people, not necessarily to "like" them. I've worked with people before when I worked at the front desk of an office and got along fine, so that's not really my problem. My problem is how to make connections.

Also, what strategies did you use and what products did you sell? I'm very interested in strategies that other salespeople use to get a good customer base going. Like I talked about earlier, I could telemarket . . . I'm not crazy about that. What would you suggest? :)

The first thing I would do is join a chamber of commerce. Talk about connections...lol

I'm still unsure about what kind of sales environment you are looking for, ChrisL.

Insurance, selling health insurance to businesses/employees. :)

Local chamber of commerce. Amazing contacts there. I can't think of another suggestion, although there may be, and I wish you the very best of luck, sweetie.

That's a good lead. I will definitely look into that. Thanks much! :)

• Thanks
Reactions: Ava
Oh come on guys, Give a girl a break. I didn't think Aflak looked right either but I would have had to look it up to be sure of the correct spelling. And typos happen. And then there are the auto-correct nightmares and all that. . . .
I thought it was AFLAC but Chris is always so credible, I figured I must be wrong so I changed the C to a K.

At home taking a mid shift break. I've been at Doc's since noon and will be headed back in a bit and will be there through 2:00 and likely well past.
When I left, the drum kit was about set up and cables between the stage and the mixing board were being run.
It's not too late for y'all to join us for our first anniversary bash and to hear Foley's own Jason Abel Project. Barbecue, beans corn bread, Mac and cheese, coleslaw and a few deserts are set out. Time to eat!
The wife and I have guests coming in next month. The husband is a past National Barbecue Champion and will be cooking a pig at Docs. Date to be announced soon. Small cover will get you an arm band that will get you in the pig line.
Too bad I live so far away. I'd love a decent BBQ.

I would love a plateful of that good old Carolina-style pork bar-b-que. That's some fine stuff right there!!! Let's see... Some bar-b-que, cold slaw, hush puppies and a tall glass of sweet tea. That will make your taste buds stand up and take notice!
If you all are talking about that vinegar based (no tomato added) Carolina BBQ sauce you can have it, you can have my portion........ most disgusting stuff I've ever had the misfortune of assaulting my taste buds with.

My goodness, you're a merry little ray of sunshine this morning aren';t you. :)

I'm not sure I've ever had Carolina BBQ. but I have had the seasoned honey & vinegar based b-b-que and it was good. I prefer the more traditional southwestern bar-b-que but I wouldn't turn down the Carolina BBQ either. Wondering what method Ernie's bar-b-que expert uses?
Still not feeling well, still have the upset stomach, headache and occasional chills and I didn't sleep well the last few days.
There's a form of Carolina BBQ that uses a non-tomato, all vinegar base that I tried once at a large get together in eastern North Carolina many many moons ago, tossed it out after one bite. It was the only kind they had (the host loved it and thought everyone else should) so we ate veggies and tater salad........

Go
I think I would probably be better off starting off working directly for an employer and that way, I can start making some connections. :) That sounds like a good plan to me. Anyone who has any sales experience, I would welcome your advice on the best ways to get started in this career.

The first thing to do is find something you love and you'll never work a day in your life. If you don't like sales, or people, or what you are selling, you won't do well.

You have to first sell yourself. The customer has to like you. ( generally speaking )

Looking professional, depending upon the kind of business, is important, too. It tells the customer, you have put some thought into yourself, for your job and they like that. It impresses them.

There are two areas in which outstanding salespeople make it to the top of their jobs.

One, is a natural ability to interact with a customer. Good, open body language and showing interest in them because you truly are. If you are dealing with women as well as men, and you are attractive, this attribute will help you overcome that fact, to a woman, if she considers attractive women as threats as so many do. You need to address most of your attention and remarks to her and not the object of her affection.

Two, is to have a strategy in selling. This comes with experience and I have it honed. :thup:

All the best, ChrisL.
Good luck with me, I'm the impossible customer. It means I will not buy unless I already was looking for a specific item/product/service, doesn't matter how good the salesperson is. I know all the "tricks".

I refuse to use tricks, or be dishonest or misrepresent what ever it is I am showing a customer. The truth is always the best way for me. Even if I don't make the sale, the customer will come back to me because, as many have said, they trust me to be honest with them. As an example: The most common question a customer trying on diamond rings will ask me, "does this ring make my finger look fat?" Since I am expecting this question, and if I think it does, I might say, "well it doesn't make it look any thinner, but this one over here would." Then I pull out a marquise cut and WOW, the difference. This cut makes a woman's finger look not only thinner but longer. It's all about illusion, just as hair styles are.

And Ringel05, there are always customers like you and within just a few seconds I can sense whether to continue with them or leave them alone and move on to the next person, browsing. There is nothing I hate more than a pushy or hovering salesperson. I respect their attitudes and won't waste my time or theirs. :thup:
I use the term "tricks" very very loosely and not necessarily in a negative sense, some times it's "tricks of the trade", i,e, knowing how to do the job well like when you address the fat finger question. It's not a negative it's a good sales technique unless the salesperson is using it to sell the customer something they don't want.
Ya wanna see the hard sales push? Go on one of the timeshare "vacations" that require you sit through a sales pitch. The first time we did that I tried to warn the wife but she didn't understand and he was playing her for all it's worth after quickly noting I wasn't interested. Something that should have taken ten minutes at most took over an hour because she was gullible and he thought he could hook her. Afterwards I "showed" her everything he had done to get her to sign.
The next one we went on we were prepared, told the sales person we were at the pitch because we had to be and that he could waste his time on us as we we NOT buying regardless of what he said or offered or, knowing he was on pure commission, he could sell to someone who was interested and make money. That one actually took about 5 minutes........ :lol:

One of my so-called strategies ChrisL was asking about is when meeting new people interested in what I am selling, is to determine immediately, who the decision-maker in the duo is. Asking them one or more questions reveals this is short time. :wink_2:

Good morning everybody. Hombre is sick again today but we're hoping it is just a massive allergy attack and not another bug or a relapse from his last one. All the warm weather leading up to the last snowstorm had everything budding out and I'm sure the pollen count is high.

Otherwise looking forward to a good Sunday.
If he's got the same thing I do then it's a relapse. Felt pretty good for a couple of days till it came back and hit me with a vengeance yesterday. Not fun........

Go

All the best, ChrisL.
Good luck with me, I'm the impossible customer. It means I will not buy unless I already was looking for a specific item/product/service, doesn't matter how good the salesperson is. I know all the "tricks".

I refuse to use tricks, or be dishonest or misrepresent what ever it is I am showing a customer. The truth is always the best way for me. Even if I don't make the sale, the customer will come back to me because, as many have said, they trust me to be honest with them. As an example: The most common question a customer trying on diamond rings will ask me, "does this ring make my finger look fat?" Since I am expecting this question, and if I think it does, I might say, "well it doesn't make it look any thinner, but this one over here would." Then I pull out a marquise cut and WOW, the difference. This cut makes a woman's finger look not only thinner but longer. It's all about illusion, just as hair styles are.

And Ringel05, there are always customers like you and within just a few seconds I can sense whether to continue with them or leave them alone and move on to the next person, browsing. There is nothing I hate more than a pushy or hovering salesperson. I respect their attitudes and won't waste my time or theirs. :thup:
I use the term "tricks" very very loosely and not necessarily in a negative sense, some times it's "tricks of the trade", i,e, knowing how to do the job well like when you address the fat finger question. It's not a negative it's a good sales technique unless the salesperson is using it to sell the customer something they don't want.
Ya wanna see the hard sales push? Go on one of the timeshare "vacations" that require you sit through a sales pitch. The first time we did that I tried to warn the wife but she didn't understand and he was playing her for all it's worth after quickly noting I wasn't interested. Something that should have taken ten minutes at most took over an hour because she was gullible and he thought he could hook her. Afterwards I "showed" her everything he had done to get her to sign.
The next one we went on we were prepared, told the sales person we were at the pitch because we had to be and that he could waste his time on us as we we NOT buying regardless of what he said or offered or, knowing he was on pure commission, he could sell to someone who was interested and make money. That one actually took about 5 minutes........ :lol:

:thup: Everybody won that day.

Another place a salesperson pitches, is when you are test- driving the new car they are hoping you will like and buy. I always ask them not to speak to me at all, unless I ask them a question, during this test drive, as I want to hear and get a feeling for the car. The smart ones, comply. Ha!

All the best, ChrisL.

Great advice, but I was more wondering about technique. I know it's important to be able to read people, not necessarily to "like" them. I've worked with people before when I worked at the front desk of an office and got along fine, so that's not really my problem. My problem is how to make connections.

Also, what strategies did you use and what products did you sell? I'm very interested in strategies that other salespeople use to get a good customer base going. Like I talked about earlier, I could telemarket . . . I'm not crazy about that. What would you suggest? :)

The first thing I would do is join a chamber of commerce. Talk about connections...lol

I'm still unsure about what kind of sales environment you are looking for, ChrisL.

Insurance, selling health insurance to businesses/employees. :)

Local chamber of commerce. Amazing contacts there. I can't think of another suggestion, although there may be, and I wish you the very best of luck, sweetie.

That's a good lead. I will definitely look into that. Thanks much! :)

Chamber of commerce - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Good morning everybody. Hombre is sick again today but we're hoping it is just a massive allergy attack and not another bug or a relapse from his last one. All the warm weather leading up to the last snowstorm had everything budding out and I'm sure the pollen count is high.

Otherwise looking forward to a good Sunday.

Yep! We have had spring all winter and cherry trees have blossomed and dropped those blossoms. I receive the Weather Channel report for a week, every day in my inbox , and the tree pollen has been from high to very high. Should have been very cold all month with much rain and one snow. I am sick of spring. But I do empathize with those of you who are sick of winter. :D Especially my cyber darlin`, 007.

Go

All the best, ChrisL.

:thup: Everybody won that day.

Another place a salesperson pitches, is when you are test- driving the new car they are hoping you will like and buy. I always ask them not to speak to me at all, unless I ask them a question, during this test drive, as I want to hear and get a feeling for the car. The smart ones, comply. Ha!
Yeah, the car sales people I like are the ones who introduce themselves and let us know they're available if we have any questions then hang back and don't "hover".

I thought it was AFLAC but Chris is always so credible, I figured I must be wrong so I changed the C to a K.

At home taking a mid shift break. I've been at Doc's since noon and will be headed back in a bit and will be there through 2:00 and likely well past.
When I left, the drum kit was about set up and cables between the stage and the mixing board were being run.
It's not too late for y'all to join us for our first anniversary bash and to hear Foley's own Jason Abel Project. Barbecue, beans corn bread, Mac and cheese, coleslaw and a few deserts are set out. Time to eat!
The wife and I have guests coming in next month. The husband is a past National Barbecue Champion and will be cooking a pig at Docs. Date to be announced soon. Small cover will get you an arm band that will get you in the pig line.
Too bad I live so far away. I'd love a decent BBQ.

I would love a plateful of that good old Carolina-style pork bar-b-que. That's some fine stuff right there!!! Let's see... Some bar-b-que, cold slaw, hush puppies and a tall glass of sweet tea. That will make your taste buds stand up and take notice!
If you all are talking about that vinegar based (no tomato added) Carolina BBQ sauce you can have it, you can have my portion........ most disgusting stuff I've ever had the misfortune of assaulting my taste buds with.

My goodness, you're a merry little ray of sunshine this morning aren';t you. :)

I'm not sure I've ever had Carolina BBQ. but I have had the seasoned honey & vinegar based b-b-que and it was good. I prefer the more traditional southwestern bar-b-que but I wouldn't turn down the Carolina BBQ either. Wondering what method Ernie's bar-b-que expert uses?
Still not feeling well, still have the upset stomach, headache and occasional chills and I didn't sleep well the last few days.
There's a form of Carolina BBQ that uses a non-tomato, all vinegar base that I tried once at a large get together in eastern North Carolina many many moons ago, tossed it out after one bite. It was the only kind they had (the host loved it and thought everyone else should) so we ate veggies and tater salad........

Aw, I was just teasing you and sorry you/re not feeling well. You're describing what Hombre had week before last except that he didn't have the upset stomach and did have a wicked cough. It lasted a week and then it was just gone.

I have had bar-b-que that didn't taste good to me, but I do like most of it. Our favorite bottled bar-b-que sauce is Bullseye original flavor. I can't make a homemade sauce that is any better--or at least I don't want to compile all the ingredients and take the time to do so. But Bullseye puts out a Texas bar-b-que sauce that Hombre thinks is okay but it just doesn't taste good to me.

Also for me good bar-b-que requires the sauce to be cooked into the meat. You can't just add it later.

I know I shouldn't be drinking this early, but I haven't had a drop for over three weeks, and I'm finally feeling like the last tiny little bit of that nasty whatever I had is about done. So I've popped the cork on a bottle of Beringer Red Moscato and damn, it tastes good.

I just had a strange, and somewhat disturbing experience. I went to the toilet and found it streaked with shit.
I am completely sure I did not do it because I would have flushed it away. I then searched the flat and it is secure and there is nobody in it but me, nor do I see how anyone could have got in. That leaves only two explanations I can think of. Either I did it myself and I was sleep walking, or some poltergeist took a dump in my loo.
I don't like either possibility as I do not think I have sleep walked before and I do not want to start now.
Either way I think I will be leaving a light on when I go to bed tonight.
Very perplexing story there, Dajjal.

Have you figured it out yet?

Do you know any of the history of the building you live in? Any deaths? How old is it?

I'm always interested in the paranormal.

I am still worried by this event, I stayed awake wondering about it, and the more I thought about it the more I thought it was not me that did it. Chris suggested someone with keys may have come in but that is not possible because the door was bolted. I do not remember doing it and I would not have left the toilet in a mess if I had.
The house is over a hundred years old, but I have lived here for twenty years without any strange events except when I had smoke detectors that went off for no reason. But I got new smoke detectors and they have not gone off.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
I just had a strange, and somewhat disturbing experience. I went to the toilet and found it streaked with shit.
I am completely sure I did not do it because I would have flushed it away. I then searched the flat and it is secure and there is nobody in it but me, nor do I see how anyone could have got in. That leaves only two explanations I can think of. Either I did it myself and I was sleep walking, or some poltergeist took a dump in my loo.
I don't like either possibility as I do not think I have sleep walked before and I do not want to start now.

Do you know any of the history of the building you live in? Any deaths? How old is it?

I am still worried by this event, I stayed awake wondering about it, and the more I thought about it the more I thought it was not me that did it. Chris suggested someone with keys may have come in but that is not possible because the door was bolted. I do not remember doing it and I would not have left the toilet in a mess if I had.
The house is over a hundred years old, but I have lived here for twenty years without any strange events except when I had smoke detectors that went off for no reason. But I got new smoke detectors and they have not gone off.
100 years old isn't terribly old. I'm sure the house I live in is that, if not older, and one of the first people to have lived here was an old woman who died in here. They found her laying on the kitchen floor. But I've done EVP sessions and the works in here, even had a sensitive come in, and there doesn't seem to be any lingering spirits at all.

You may never figure out what happen, pard. For now I'd just try and forget about it.

I finally rolled out. Still coughing my head off and have a head ache. I have to be back in in 40 minutes. THIS is going to be a short day.
Seriously, bro, I think you need like two or three days of COMPLETE DOWN TIME. Tell your partners or whoever that you need to REST.

Most likely you did it in your sleep, could have "partially" woke up, did your business then went back to bed, it's not all that uncommon and the fact you don't remember pretty much indicates you didn't wake up enough to be consciously aware, not specifically "sleepwalking" but still classified as such.
Anyone in your family a sleepwalker? Changes in any meds or starting a new med? Increase in alcohol consumption or increase in stress? All of these are potential contributors but not necessarily the only possible reasons.

Most likely you did it in your sleep, could have "partially" woke up, did your business then went back to bed, it's not all that uncommon and the fact you don't remember pretty much indicates you didn't wake up enough to be consciously aware, not specifically "sleepwalking" but still classified as such.
Anyone in your family a sleepwalker? Changes in any meds or starting a new med? Increase in alcohol consumption or increase in stress? All of these are potential contributors but not necessarily the only possible reasons.

That was my first thought too--you simply got up during the night and did your business and went back to bed and didn't remember getting up. The last time I went to the hospital with my aunt, she had passed out and hurt herself. She had no serious injuries but after checking her over they kept her a couple of days to check everything out.

Now this lady is elderly but sharp as a tack--no signs of dementia. But in the process of the questioning she first was certain she had only gotten up once and that is when she fell. But after further questioning it became apparent to me that there was a second time. So I called my uncle and he said three times that he was up and aware of it. She did begin to remember a second time but the third was gone from her memory. She could have done just about anything during that episode and would have no memory of it.

I would think I had done it in my sleep but for the yucky details that I hardly like to mention. But the toilet was streaked from the brim and down the bowl, and there was no toilet paper in it. By contrast my ass was clean.
I hate to think it was a poltergeist but I can't see how it was me or I would have had a soiled bum.

Question, brother Dajjal... you're not taking any sleep medication like "Ambien" are you? I've heard serious horror stories about people sleep walking while taking that.

I would think I had done it in my sleep but for the yucky details that I hardly like to mention. But the toilet was streaked from the brim and down the bowl, and there was no toilet paper in it. By contrast my ass was clean.
I hate to think it was a poltergeist but I can't see how it was me or I would have had a soiled bum.
You've got me completely intrigued, pard.

Forum List

Back