USMB Coffee Shop IV

Do you realize that if I worked for AFLAK as an independent contractor in sales, I could make almost $70,000 in just commissions alone. That is I get 48 employees to sign on to one of the AFLAK plans per month. That makes the company around $200,000, via my sales savvy. :D It is certainly a tempting position.

I sold a new truck to a lady in that company. She has a specific market with union skilled trades. She says the truck helped with sales.

Hmm. We have lots of unions here in MA. That is a good idea. :) I have an uncle who works for the laborers union. Maybe he could set me up with the BA, and I could try to sell some policies if I got that job.

Do you realize that if I worked for AFLAK as an independent contractor in sales, I could make almost $70,000 in just commissions alone. That is I get 48 employees to sign on to one of the AFLAK plans per month. That makes the company around $200,000, via my sales savvy. :D It is certainly a tempting position.

I sold a new truck to a lady in that company. She has a specific market with union skilled trades. She says the truck helped with sales.

No doubt. It is very helpful when selling anything, if you are using it yourself in any way.

I just had a strange, and somewhat disturbing experience. I went to the toilet and found it streaked with shit.
I am completely sure I did not do it because I would have flushed it away. I then searched the flat and it is secure and there is nobody in it but me, nor do I see how anyone could have got in. That leaves only two explanations I can think of. Either I did it myself and I was sleep walking, or some poltergeist took a dump in my loo.
I don't like either possibility as I do not think I have sleep walked before and I do not want to start now.
Either way I think I will be leaving a light on when I go to bed tonight.

Well, that is a strange and . . . yucky story. :D Do you have an friends who have keys to your place? Maybe someone had an emergency and stopped by. Lol.

Go
I think I would probably be better off starting off working directly for an employer and that way, I can start making some connections. :) That sounds like a good plan to me. Anyone who has any sales experience, I would welcome your advice on the best ways to get started in this career.

Well, since you asked. :D

The first thing to do is find something you love and you'll never work a day in your life. If you don't like sales, or people, or what you are selling, you won't do well.

You have to first sell yourself. The customer has to like you. ( generally speaking )

Understand the best communication skill is, listening.

Looking professional, depending upon the kind of business, is important, too. It tells the customer, you have put some thought into yourself, for your job and they like that. It impresses them.

There are two areas in which outstanding salespeople make it to the top of their jobs.

One, is a natural ability to interact with a customer. Good, open body language and showing interest in them because you truly are. If you are dealing with women as well as men, and you are attractive, this attribute will help you overcome that fact, to a woman, if she considers attractive women as threats as so many do. You need to address most of your attention and remarks to her and not the object of her affection.

Two, is to have a strategy in selling. This comes with experience and I have it honed. :thup:

Some salespersons have both, one and two, and we rarely fail to make the sale.

All the best, ChrisL.
Good luck with me, I'm the impossible customer. It means I will not buy unless I already was looking for a specific item/product/service, doesn't matter how good the salesperson is. I know all the "tricks".

Well, selling health insurance is different. I only have to convince the boss to let me speak with the employees and give them a presentation. I have to only get 48 employees per month to sign up for one of the AFLAC (eh-hmm) insurance products, and they have a lot that they offer, like life insurance, disability insurance, where they pay you if you are out of work and other such insurance.

Right now, a lot of companies are only offering health insurance, some offer dental too. Some companies don't offer their employees benefits packages that include things like disability insurance, life insurance, even cancer insurance (which will pay your deductibles, co pays, any kind of hotel stay you may need if, say, God forbid, you have a sick child or something. :) It's a good deal, and it's very cheap. I know one of the plans (I believe it is the cancer insurance) is only $3.00 per week. Now, everyone surely won't be interested, but someone who has had cancer, has had a relative or friend with cancer and knows about the extraneous costs and how they can weigh on a person's wallet, just might be interested in purchasing such a plan at such a cheap rate. :)

Often times you can get pretaxed on health insurance when a company offers AFLAC. That alone gets you in the door.

Go
I think I would probably be better off starting off working directly for an employer and that way, I can start making some connections. :) That sounds like a good plan to me. Anyone who has any sales experience, I would welcome your advice on the best ways to get started in this career.

The first thing to do is find something you love and you'll never work a day in your life. If you don't like sales, or people, or what you are selling, you won't do well.

You have to first sell yourself. The customer has to like you. ( generally speaking )

Looking professional, depending upon the kind of business, is important, too. It tells the customer, you have put some thought into yourself, for your job and they like that. It impresses them.

There are two areas in which outstanding salespeople make it to the top of their jobs.

One, is a natural ability to interact with a customer. Good, open body language and showing interest in them because you truly are. If you are dealing with women as well as men, and you are attractive, this attribute will help you overcome that fact, to a woman, if she considers attractive women as threats as so many do. You need to address most of your attention and remarks to her and not the object of her affection.

Two, is to have a strategy in selling. This comes with experience and I have it honed. :thup:

All the best, ChrisL.
Good luck with me, I'm the impossible customer. It means I will not buy unless I already was looking for a specific item/product/service, doesn't matter how good the salesperson is. I know all the "tricks".

Well, selling health insurance is different. I only have to convince the boss to let me speak with the employees and give them a presentation. I have to only get 48 employees per month to sign up for one of the AFLAC (eh-hmm) insurance products, and they have a lot that they offer, like life insurance, disability insurance, where they pay you if you are out of work and other such insurance.

Right now, a lot of companies are only offering health insurance, some offer dental too. Some companies don't offer their employees benefits packages that include things like disability insurance, life insurance, even cancer insurance (which will pay your deductibles, co pays, any kind of hotel stay you may need if, say, God forbid, you have a sick child or something. :) It's a good deal, and it's very cheap. I know one of the plans (I believe it is the cancer insurance) is only $3.00 per week. Now, everyone surely won't be interested, but someone who has had cancer, has had a relative or friend with cancer and knows about the extraneous costs and how they can weigh on a person's wallet, just might be interested in purchasing such a plan at such a cheap rate. :)

Often times you can get pretaxed on health insurance when a company offers AFLAC. That alone gets you in the door.

Interesting. I wasn't aware of that.

Sales is a tough business. Right now I'm selling a nice volume of vehicles, but that can end quickly with the weather, selling out of inventory, down turn in the economy. It is very important to save up for the lean times and starting out is usually a lean time.

Woke up to another bright sunny morning, but again, almost TWENTY BELOW. I have run out of ways to describe my disgust with this bitter cold. My furnace runs practically non stop, and the new mega sized, twin tank, whole house humidifier I bought also runs constantly on high and needs filling about every 18 hours. I look at a chill map and yup, it's WI that's right under this VORTEX or whatever the hell it is, just like it has a bulls eye on it. We are the coldest place in the nation yet again, including ALASKA. I'm tellin' ya, I can't take this anymore. Changes will be made. I believe vacating the state for Jan and Feb, and if temps like this remain, Mar too, would do wonders for me. I feel as though I'm under house arrest. To look longingly out the windows wishing I could go outside and be active doing something but can't because of the dangerous cold just irritates me to no end. I am questioning WHY I came back here. I know all about living near family and ancestors, but right now, that isn't rising to the level of making a difference to me.

I've had it.
My ultimate retirement goal is to have living quarters in both the northern and southern hemispheres, and never suffer through another winter.
I just heard on our local weather news that this February is the 8th coldest on record with an average temperature of 11.2 degrees, even colder than last year, as if that wasn't bad enough.

I really am not a cold weather person. I hate to be cold period. I've been researching today places to rent in Albany, GE, and found one place just up the road from my buddy's place. I hope to speak to them Monday, and maybe lock in a place to rent for Jan, Feb and Mar of next year. I'm done with winter. I hate it.
this winter is by far colder than last. and last year was a bitch.
It is really good to see you pop in, brother spoon.

I'm thinking that with Spring being only 20 days away, some new pics of Spring things should lift all our spirits immensely. Who's with me?

Go

All the best, ChrisL.

I refuse to use tricks, or be dishonest or misrepresent what ever it is I am showing a customer. The truth is always the best way for me. Even if I don't make the sale, the customer will come back to me because, as many have said, they trust me to be honest with them. As an example: The most common question a female customer trying on diamond rings will ask me, "does this ring make my finger look fat?" Since I am expecting this question, and if I think it does, I might say, "well it doesn't make it look any thinner, but this one over here would." Then I pull out a marquise cut and WOW, the difference. This cut makes a woman's finger look not only thinner but longer. It's all about illusion, just as hair styles are.

And Ringel05, there are always customers like you and within just a few seconds I can sense whether to continue with them or leave them alone and move on to the next person, browsing. There is nothing I hate more than a pushy or hovering salesperson. I respect their attitudes and won't waste my time or theirs. :thup:

Spring and bunnies! :D

rabbit-snowdrop_2166221k.jpg

Go

All the best, ChrisL.

I refuse to use tricks, or be dishonest or misrepresent what ever it is I am showing a customer. The truth is always the best way for me. Even if I don't make the sale, the customer will come back to me because, as many have said, they trust me to be honest with them. As an example: The most common question a customer trying on diamond rings will ask me, "does this ring make my finger look fat?" Since I am expecting this question, and if I think it does, I might say, "well it doesn't make it look any thinner, but this one over here would." Then I pull out a marquise cut and WOW, the difference. This cut makes a woman's finger look not only thinner but longer. It's all about illusion, just as hair styles are.

And Ringel05, there are always customers like you and within just a few seconds I can sense whether to continue with them or leave them alone and move on to the next person, browsing. There is nothing I hate more than a pushy or hovering salesperson. I respect their attitudes and won't waste my time or theirs. :thup:

See, my situation, if I got this job, would be different. I wouldn't be working at a store. I would be going to businesses on my own and making power point presentations and things like that.

I just had a strange, and somewhat disturbing experience. I went to the toilet and found it streaked with shit.
I am completely sure I did not do it because I would have flushed it away. I then searched the flat and it is secure and there is nobody in it but me, nor do I see how anyone could have got in. That leaves only two explanations I can think of. Either I did it myself and I was sleep walking, or some poltergeist took a dump in my loo.
I don't like either possibility as I do not think I have sleep walked before and I do not want to start now.
Either way I think I will be leaving a light on when I go to bed tonight.
Very perplexing story there, Dajjal.

Have you figured it out yet?

Do you know any of the history of the building you live in? Any deaths? How old is it?

I'm always interested in the paranormal.

Go

All the best, ChrisL.

I refuse to use tricks, or be dishonest or misrepresent what ever it is I am showing a customer. The truth is always the best way for me. Even if I don't make the sale, the customer will come back to me because, as many have said, they trust me to be honest with them. As an example: The most common question a female customer trying on diamond rings will ask me, "does this ring make my finger look fat?" Since I am expecting this question, and if I think it does, I might say, "well it doesn't make it look any thinner, but this one over here would." Then I pull out a marquise cut and WOW, the difference. This cut makes a woman's finger look not only thinner but longer. It's all about illusion, just as hair styles are.

You're a great gal, AA, the total package as far as ladies go.

Your boyfriend is a very lucky man indeed.

• Thanks
Reactions: Ava

All the best, ChrisL.

Great advice, but I was more wondering about technique. I know it's important to be able to read people, not necessarily to "like" them. I've worked with people before when I worked at the front desk of an office and got along fine, so that's not really my problem. My problem is how to make connections.

Also, what strategies did you use and what products did you sell? I'm very interested in strategies that other salespeople use to get a good customer base going. Like I talked about earlier, I could telemarket . . . I'm not crazy about that. What would you suggest? :)

The first thing I would do is join a chamber of commerce. Talk about connections...lol

I'm still unsure about what kind of sales environment you are looking for, ChrisL.

Maybe she means the German branch........ :eusa_whistle:
:D

Oh come on guys, Give a girl a break. I didn't think Aflak looked right either but I would have had to look it up to be sure of the correct spelling. And typos happen. And then there are the auto-correct nightmares and all that. . . .
I thought it was AFLAC but Chris is always so credible, I figured I must be wrong so I changed the C to a K.

At home taking a mid shift break. I've been at Doc's since noon and will be headed back in a bit and will be there through 2:00 and likely well past.
When I left, the drum kit was about set up and cables between the stage and the mixing board were being run.
It's not too late for y'all to join us for our first anniversary bash and to hear Foley's own Jason Abel Project. Barbecue, beans corn bread, Mac and cheese, coleslaw and a few deserts are set out. Time to eat!
The wife and I have guests coming in next month. The husband is a past National Barbecue Champion and will be cooking a pig at Docs. Date to be announced soon. Small cover will get you an arm band that will get you in the pig line.
Too bad I live so far away. I'd love a decent BBQ.

I would love a plateful of that good old Carolina-style pork bar-b-que. That's some fine stuff right there!!! Let's see... Some bar-b-que, cold slaw, hush puppies and a tall glass of sweet tea. That will make your taste buds stand up and take notice!
If you all are talking about that vinegar based (no tomato added) Carolina BBQ sauce you can have it, you can have my portion........ most disgusting stuff I've ever had the misfortune of assaulting my taste buds with.

My goodness, you're a merry little ray of sunshine this morning aren';t you. :)

I'm not sure I've ever had Carolina BBQ. but I have had the seasoned honey & vinegar based b-b-que and it was good. I prefer the more traditional southwestern bar-b-que but I wouldn't turn down the Carolina BBQ either. Wondering what method Ernie's bar-b-que expert uses?

All the best, ChrisL.

Great advice, but I was more wondering about technique. I know it's important to be able to read people, not necessarily to "like" them. I've worked with people before when I worked at the front desk of an office and got along fine, so that's not really my problem. My problem is how to make connections.

Also, what strategies did you use and what products did you sell? I'm very interested in strategies that other salespeople use to get a good customer base going. Like I talked about earlier, I could telemarket . . . I'm not crazy about that. What would you suggest? :)

The first thing I would do is join a chamber of commerce. Talk about connections...lol

I'm still unsure about what kind of sales environment you are looking for, ChrisL.

Insurance, selling health insurance to businesses/employees. :)

Go

All the best, ChrisL.

You're a great gal, AA, the total package as far as ladies go.

Your boyfriend is a very lucky man indeed.

And you are my board sweetheart. Thank you for the awesome comments. :smiliehug:

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Go

All the best, ChrisL.

I refuse to use tricks, or be dishonest or misrepresent what ever it is I am showing a customer. The truth is always the best way for me. Even if I don't make the sale, the customer will come back to me because, as many have said, they trust me to be honest with them. As an example: The most common question a customer trying on diamond rings will ask me, "does this ring make my finger look fat?" Since I am expecting this question, and if I think it does, I might say, "well it doesn't make it look any thinner, but this one over here would." Then I pull out a marquise cut and WOW, the difference. This cut makes a woman's finger look not only thinner but longer. It's all about illusion, just as hair styles are.

I use the term "tricks" very very loosely and not necessarily in a negative sense, some times it's "tricks of the trade", i,e, knowing how to do the job well like when you address the fat finger question. It's not a negative it's a good sales technique unless the salesperson is using it to sell the customer something they don't want.
Ya wanna see the hard sales push? Go on one of the timeshare "vacations" that require you sit through a sales pitch. The first time we did that I tried to warn the wife but she didn't understand and he was playing her for all it's worth after quickly noting I wasn't interested. Something that should have taken ten minutes at most took over an hour because she was gullible and he thought he could hook her. Afterwards I "showed" her everything he had done to get her to sign.
The next one we went on we were prepared, told the sales person we were at the pitch because we had to be and that he could waste his time on us as we we NOT buying regardless of what he said or offered or, knowing he was on pure commission, he could sell to someone who was interested and make money. That one actually took about 5 minutes........ :lol:

• Thanks
Reactions: Ava
Good morning everybody. Hombre is sick again today but we're hoping it is just a massive allergy attack and not another bug or a relapse from his last one. All the warm weather leading up to the last snowstorm had everything budding out and I'm sure the pollen count is high.

Otherwise looking forward to a good Sunday.

All the best, ChrisL.

Insurance, selling health insurance to businesses/employees. :)

Local chamber of commerce. Amazing contacts there. I can't think of another suggestion, although there may be, and I wish you the very best of luck, sweetie.

Good morning everybody. Hombre is sick again today but we're hoping it is just a massive allergy attack and not another bug or a relapse from his last one. All the warm weather leading up to the last snowstorm had everything budding out and I'm sure the pollen count is high.

Otherwise looking forward to a good Sunday.

Hope he gets well soon. The poor guy. From one type of sickness to another. Geez. That really sucks.

Forum List

Back