USMB Coffee Shop IV

Given the research into DNA and growing human tissue, don't you think it is just a matter of time before they will be able to grow a human bladder or kidney or pancreas or whatever that is of our own dna so our body won't reject it to replace an organ they have to remove? I find that concept very exciting.
They've already regrown a missing fingertip on a guy who had lost his (the original finger print regrew also with no sign of scaring) and regrew muscle on a couple of wounded soldiers. Basically they set up the pig tissue as a matrix which as it deteriorates releases chemicals that attract the bodies natural stem cells and with some "nudging" tells the body what to do (what to rebuild).

Exciting stuff. And think what potential and blessings there could be.

Being the pessimist I am, I tend to think of the potential dangers and problems. Think overpopulation is a problem now? Just wait until everyone is living to be 200 with organs regrown whenever they wear down! :p
The head of the program did acknowledge we would eventually get to a point where we will have to address the moral issues as he believes we potentially could end up regrowing entire bodies.

Yes. I know that is a significant concern. But when I see what people go through with transplants, dealing with auto-immune issues, rejection, additional surgeries etc., and how wonderful it would be for medical science to be able to bypass all that with healthy organs the body will never reject, I think it is worth the risk.
Well if it works we better start working faster on space exploration and colonization...........

They've already regrown a missing fingertip on a guy who had lost his (the original finger print regrew also with no sign of scaring) and regrew muscle on a couple of wounded soldiers. Basically they set up the pig tissue as a matrix which as it deteriorates releases chemicals that attract the bodies natural stem cells and with some "nudging" tells the body what to do (what to rebuild).

Being the pessimist I am, I tend to think of the potential dangers and problems. Think overpopulation is a problem now? Just wait until everyone is living to be 200 with organs regrown whenever they wear down! :p
The head of the program did acknowledge we would eventually get to a point where we will have to address the moral issues as he believes we potentially could end up regrowing entire bodies.

Yes. I know that is a significant concern. But when I see what people go through with transplants, dealing with auto-immune issues, rejection, additional surgeries etc., and how wonderful it would be for medical science to be able to bypass all that with healthy organs the body will never reject, I think it is worth the risk.
Well if it works we better start working faster on space exploration and colonization...........

Well I generally figure we'll cross those bridges when we get to it. As it is now, I read recently that the world population can fit into the State of Texas with a population density less than that of San Francisco. So, as we learn to be more efficient with food production and producing potable water, we probably have room for a lot more. And while I don't want to stay here when there is no more quality of life, I would like to have quality of life as long as I stay here. I think we'll figure it out.

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, and Sheila's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
GW's daughter's friend Sachendra,
Ernie's friend and colleague Max,
Boedicca's mom for healing and relief from pain,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
Save and Mrs. L in adversity,
Chris in transition,
Ernie for wellness, rest, and extra strength,
Those in the dangerous cold zones,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
Safe travels for those traveling,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, Jughead, Sheila, and Becki and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

mica-lamp-company-sb40-storybook-tavern-outdoor-pendant-rust-powdercoat-.jpg

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, and Sheila's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
GW's daughter's friend Sachendra,
Ernie's friend and colleague Max,
Boedicca's mom for healing and relief from pain,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
Save and Mrs. L in adversity,
Chris in transition,
Ernie for wellness, rest, and extra strength,
Those in the dangerous cold zones,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
Safe travels for those traveling,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, Jughead, Sheila, and Becki and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

mica-lamp-company-sb40-storybook-tavern-outdoor-pendant-rust-powdercoat-.jpg

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.
An update on my daughter's mentor, Sachenda. She's been hospitalized for the last two weeks. The chemo-therapy has failed the doctors have taken her off the treatment. While she is pretty much insensate, her husband is going through the agony of the damned and hasn't been home since she went into the hospital, moving from work to her bedside. At this point, we are more concerned for his welfare than hers. Please add Bob to the list, Foxy...and their son, Gary. Thank you, everyone, for you prayers and good vibes for this loving couple.

Okay, it's seems I had some of my info wrong. The wifes phone interview today wasn't Reno, apparently that one didn't work out. It was for Las Vegas NV and she's been getting more and more calls. This morning she got a call for one of three jobs in New Mexico, one in Alamogordo, one in Gallup and one in Albuquerque she also got one for a job in Chicago...... she said no to that one........ :lol:

You really want Albuquerque instead of Gallup or Alamogordo neither of which are close to anywhere. But given a choice between Alamogordo and Gallup, I would take Alamogordo in a heartbeat. At least you are minutes from alpine mountains, White Sands, and an easy four-lane drive to Las Cruces for serious shopping for things you can't get in your small town.
We drove through Alamogordo on the way down to El Paso and I looked it and Gallup up online. Yeah Alamogordo is closer to larger cities like El Paso and Las Cruces but it's smaller than Gallup, in fact half the size. Still waiting on the final word from El Paso and the Las Vegas people said they would let the wife know by Friday. Yes we would prefer a larger city over the other two.
I lived in Alamagordo for a spell...not really that bad of a town...military town. Las Cruces is only about 45 minutes away...an easy drive through White Sands. I moved to Las Cruces after about 6 months for a job...I LOVED CRUCES....Alamogordo isn't too bad either if you like smaller towns....close to Ruidoso, which is beautiful. I wouldn't move to Albuquerque...shit hole.

A warm Coffee Shop welcome to Nutz who is joining us for the first time this morning. Do you still live somewhere in New Mexico? Sorry you don't like my fair city. Albuquerque has been our home for a long time now and it does have much to condemn it but has even more to commend it. We llike it because it has most of the amenities you expect of a big city but still has enough of a small town feel for us--hubby and I are both small town kids--that we feel very much at home here.

But everybody doesn't love everybody or everywhere or else we would all be living on top of each other. :)

Anyhow welcome to the Coffee Shop and here's your first timer's complimentary beverage:

cappuccino-cup-opt.jpg
Thank you for the coffee...No, don't live in NM any longer, it was way back in the 90's when I was in the area....Albuquerque is a great place to visit for me...not to live. I prefer the smaller towns...hell I bet Las Cruces would be too big for me now. I had a great job back then....I traveled all over NM. I could tell you some stories about being in the middle of nowhere! Silver City was my favorite - I could retire there. (Ever see that movie Rat Race...that is the finish line). Anyway...didn't mean to insult your city...
Lots of retired people agree with you about Silver City. I liked Silver City and the Lake Roberts area best. Of course, I tend to prefer more remote locations, like Alaska!

I lived in Alamagordo for a spell...not really that bad of a town...military town. Las Cruces is only about 45 minutes away...an easy drive through White Sands. I moved to Las Cruces after about 6 months for a job...I LOVED CRUCES....Alamogordo isn't too bad either if you like smaller towns....close to Ruidoso, which is beautiful. I wouldn't move to Albuquerque...shit hole.

A warm Coffee Shop welcome to Nutz who is joining us for the first time this morning. Do you still live somewhere in New Mexico? Sorry you don't like my fair city. Albuquerque has been our home for a long time now and it does have much to condemn it but has even more to commend it. We llike it because it has most of the amenities you expect of a big city but still has enough of a small town feel for us--hubby and I are both small town kids--that we feel very much at home here.

But everybody doesn't love everybody or everywhere or else we would all be living on top of each other. :)

Anyhow welcome to the Coffee Shop and here's your first timer's complimentary beverage:

cappuccino-cup-opt.jpg
Thank you for the coffee...No, don't live in NM any longer, it was way back in the 90's when I was in the area....Albuquerque is a great place to visit for me...not to live. I prefer the smaller towns...hell I bet Las Cruces would be too big for me now. I had a great job back then....I traveled all over NM. I could tell you some stories about being in the middle of nowhere! Silver City was my favorite - I could retire there. (Ever see that movie Rat Race...that is the finish line). Anyway...didn't mean to insult your city...

No offense taken. :) You wouldn't be the first to not be enamored with Albuquerque and won't be the last. Ringel seriously looked at Albuquerque as a possible new location and I'm pretty sure he would prefer many other places to here. :)
Alamogordo isn't too bad. When I was there...it was growing. Can't tell you what it looks like now. Personally, I would move to Cruces and make the drive everyday. But you are right, Cruces is heavily hispanic...a lot of illegals in Cruces as the Border Patrol Stations lie outside the city heading towards Alamogordo and Alburquerque...but it is also a college town, so very diverse. Alamogordo isn't as hispanic as a lot of people think. Like I said, border patrol stations protect it from Las Cruces and El Paso. A lot of retired military, Native Americans (Ruidoso is a few miles away (Indian Reservation).
(Sorry, you have me reminiscing on my days in NM)

Reminiscing is okay. We all do it.

You won't find many more eclectic places than the Coffee Shop has been over the years. The Coffee Shop opened in 2010--we had to start new threads from time to time when the USMB server was having trouble accommodating us--that is why we are Coffee Shop IV--but when you add up the four threads, we are approaching 130,000 posts and have more than 5 million looks.

And the topics discussed in here range from interpersonal relationships to shrunken heads to recipes to Civil War re-enactments to weather to fashion to high tech stuff plus a lot of cars, trucks, tools, motorcycles, work related stuff, travel, hunting, pets, the paranormal etc.--there probably aren't a lot of subjects we haven't touched on at some time or another. Nothing is really off limits. We have seen our members through a lot of tough times--trouble at work, serious illnesses and head colds, worries about or loss of loved ones, beloved pets, or other difficulties and we have rejoiced in the good things.

We just don't discuss politics or controversial social/religious topics as there doesn't seem to be any way to do that without ruffling feathers and introducting an unpleasant toxic element. The Coffee Shop is intended as a refuge from all that. Some get their feathers ruffled anyway, but as I said, nobody loves everybody. But those who can set aside personal differences and just love/enjoy each other seem to be able to get through anything.

So welcome aboard. We hope you feel at home enough here to join our wierd and very diverse family here.
And COOKING! Your forgot our recipe exchanges.

The wife is watching the science channel, Worlds Strangest, Inventions. The University of Pittsburgh is using pig bladders to regrow human tissue (muscle, skin and organs) and possibly bone on/in human subjects. It looks very promising but there's lots of work to be done.

Given the research into DNA and growing human tissue, don't you think it is just a matter of time before they will be able to grow a human bladder or kidney or pancreas or whatever that is of our own dna so our body won't reject it to replace an organ they have to remove? I find that concept very exciting.

Robert Heinlein addressed this issue in his Lazarus Long series of stories, including "Time Enough for Love". The continuation of the physical is one aspect, but how do people deal with the spiritual and psychological implications of long life, or even immortality?

All alone in the CS? Dang, it seems to be my fate.
Yesterday saw the birth of our first kids of the season, triplets (2 boys, 1 girl). All are healthy, beautiful little creatures. I was at school when they arrived and even though one was breach, my partner handled it well enough. Fortunate that the breach came feet first. If he had come butt first, I doubt my partner would have been up to "turning" the kid, which requires pushing the kid back into the birth canal and turning it to the proper position. Painful for momma, requires insertion of one's are past the elbow, but necessary at times to save the kid's life, at least.
My daughter awarded me grandparents' bragging rights for my eldest granddaughter (the younger girl is not to be disregarded, though). They've been getting calls from a phone number out of Ohio. They don't know anyone and preferred to ignore those calls. So finally, Saturday evening, my SIL decided to give in and find out who was calling, and why. It was the granddaughter's teacher. He wanted to let my daughter and her hubby know that in his 40+ years of teaching, my granddaughter was one of the most delightful, hard-working, and engaging students he's ever had. What wonderful news! And that this teacher felt strongly enough to continue to try to contact her parents, even on a weekend evening, that tells me a LOT! I congratulated my daughter (and her husband) on the outstanding job they have done as parents. Of course, this says volumes about an engaged, stay-at-home mother and wife. Toughest job EVER! But rewarding in ways lots of people will never know...

The wife is watching the science channel, Worlds Strangest, Inventions. The University of Pittsburgh is using pig bladders to regrow human tissue (muscle, skin and organs) and possibly bone on/in human subjects. It looks very promising but there's lots of work to be done.

Robert Heinlein addressed this issue in his Lazarus Long series of stories, including "Time Enough for Love". The continuation of the physical is one aspect, but how do people deal with the spiritual and psychological implications of long life, or even immortality?

Again I think those are bridges we'll have to cross if we get to them. But to me, it would be absurd to deny somebody a kidney that will function perfectly and spare that person the worry or agony of rejection, the side effects of the drugs necessary to try to prevent it, or the multiple surgeries necessary if a transplanted kidney fails, etc. And to deny the person that blessing here and now out of fear of the unknown.

But I do understand the concern for not creating more of the unintended bad consequences that so many of our well intended efforts have produced. So I am certainly not in favor of cutting off the debate and pushing aside those concerns either.

Yesterday saw the birth of our first kids of the season, triplets (2 boys, 1 girl). All are healthy, beautiful little creatures. I was at school when they arrived and even though one was breach, my partner handled it well enough. Fortunate that the breach came feet first. If he had come butt first, I doubt my partner would have been up to "turning" the kid, which requires pushing the kid back into the birth canal and turning it to the proper position. Painful for momma, requires insertion of one's are past the elbow, but necessary at times to save the kid's life, at least.
My daughter awarded me grandparents' bragging rights for my eldest granddaughter (the younger girl is not to be disregarded, though). They've been getting calls from a phone number out of Ohio. They don't know anyone and preferred to ignore those calls. So finally, Saturday evening, my SIL decided to give in and find out who was calling, and why. It was the granddaughter's teacher. He wanted to let my daughter and her hubby know that in his 40+ years of teaching, my granddaughter was one of the most delightful, hard-working, and engaging students he's ever had. What wonderful news! And that this teacher felt strongly enough to continue to try to contact her parents, even on a weekend evening, that tells me a LOT! I congratulated my daughter (and her husband) on the outstanding job they have done as parents. Of course, this says volumes about an engaged, stay-at-home mother and wife. Toughest job EVER! But rewarding in ways lots of people will never know...

And maybe your unusually warm weather will prevail and those babies won't have as much danger as others have had in years past? I would love some pictures when they're up and doing what baby goats do too. :)

cappuccino-cup-opt.jpg

No offense taken. :) You wouldn't be the first to not be enamored with Albuquerque and won't be the last. Ringel seriously looked at Albuquerque as a possible new location and I'm pretty sure he would prefer many other places to here. :)
Alamogordo isn't too bad. When I was there...it was growing. Can't tell you what it looks like now. Personally, I would move to Cruces and make the drive everyday. But you are right, Cruces is heavily hispanic...a lot of illegals in Cruces as the Border Patrol Stations lie outside the city heading towards Alamogordo and Alburquerque...but it is also a college town, so very diverse. Alamogordo isn't as hispanic as a lot of people think. Like I said, border patrol stations protect it from Las Cruces and El Paso. A lot of retired military, Native Americans (Ruidoso is a few miles away (Indian Reservation).

You won't find many more eclectic places than the Coffee Shop has been over the years. The Coffee Shop opened in 2010--we had to start new threads from time to time when the USMB server was having trouble accommodating us--that is why we are Coffee Shop IV--but when you add up the four threads, we are approaching 130,000 posts and have more than 5 million looks.

And the topics discussed in here range from interpersonal relationships to shrunken heads to recipes to Civil War re-enactments to weather to fashion to high tech stuff plus a lot of cars, trucks, tools, motorcycles, work related stuff, travel, hunting, pets, the paranormal etc.--there probably aren't a lot of subjects we haven't touched on at some time or another. Nothing is really off limits. We have seen our members through a lot of tough times--trouble at work, serious illnesses and head colds, worries about or loss of loved ones, beloved pets, or other difficulties and we have rejoiced in the good things.

We just don't discuss politics or controversial social/religious topics as there doesn't seem to be any way to do that without ruffling feathers and introducting an unpleasant toxic element. The Coffee Shop is intended as a refuge from all that. Some get their feathers ruffled anyway, but as I said, nobody loves everybody. But those who can set aside personal differences and just love/enjoy each other seem to be able to get through anything.

So welcome aboard. We hope you feel at home enough here to join our wierd and very diverse family here.

Ah you missed the recipes listed right up there with the shrunken heads. No relationship beween the two hopefully. :)

Lunch suggestion:

1509148_771013099601740_2246155954216126615_n.jpg
No laughing, but where I grew up, possum was often on the domestic menu. They're easy to catch using a trash can, and when "busted", they tend to become inanimate, making them easy targets. They taste a little like parka squirrel or beaver, though, making them an acquired taste.

Alas I my culinary experience has included neither squirrel nor beaver in my entire life. So I still think I would be really REALLY leery about cooking up some possum. :)

Again I think those are bridges we'll have to cross if we get to them. But to me, it would be absurd to deny somebody a kidney that will function perfectly and spare that person the worry or agony of rejection, the side effects of the drugs necessary to try to prevent it, or the multiple surgeries necessary if a transplanted kidney fails, etc. And to deny the person that blessing here and now out of fear of the unknown.

But I do understand the concern for not creating more of the unintended bad consequences that so many of our well intended efforts have produced. So I am certainly not in favor of cutting off the debate and pushing aside those concerns either.
Admittedly, Heinlein's Lazarus Long did have access to inter-galactic travel and the diaspora of the human race is featured in his stories.

And maybe your unusually warm weather will prevail and those babies won't have as much danger as others have had in years past? I would love some pictures when they're up and doing what baby goats do too. :)
Second request for baby goat pics...I'll see what I can do. And yes, we are pleased that the temps are relatively warm. I have tried to minimize ear loss due to frostbite by breeding LaMancha cross breed goats.

Ah you missed the recipes listed right up there with the shrunken heads. No relationship beween the two hopefully. :)
My bad! Wouldn't surprise me if someone around here did have a recipe featuring shrunken heads, though.

My bad! Wouldn't surprise me if someone around here did have a recipe featuring shrunken heads, though.
1/2 cup Vinegar, fill pot to cover head with water. Once the water comes to a boil, let simmer and add resin from a maple tree. Simmer for 2 days. Make sure you keep a constant water level.

Lunch suggestion:

1509148_771013099601740_2246155954216126615_n.jpg
No laughing, but where I grew up, possum was often on the domestic menu. They're easy to catch using a trash can, and when "busted", they tend to become inanimate, making them easy targets. They taste a little like parka squirrel or beaver, though, making them an acquired taste.

Alas I my culinary experience has included neither squirrel nor beaver in my entire life. So I still think I would be really REALLY leery about cooking up some possum. :)
Squirrels back East are more substantial that those in Alaska. Lots more meat on 'em. Beaver I'm not so fond of. I've tried muck-tuk (whale blubber) prepared a couple of different ways and it always resemble eating fatback, or a spoonful of lard. Whale meat is different, tasty but unusual. I have tried beaver, possum, 'coon, and many other things. Ostrich is actually surprisingly good.

1/2 cup Vinegar, fill pot to cover head with water. Once the water comes to a boil, let simmer and add resin from a maple tree. Simmer for 2 days. Make sure you keep a constant water level.

Priceless. Nutz, you're gonna fit in here just fine. :)

Forum List

Back