USMB Coffee Shop IV

Lunch suggestion:

1509148_771013099601740_2246155954216126615_n.jpg
No laughing, but where I grew up, possum was often on the domestic menu. They're easy to catch using a trash can, and when "busted", they tend to become inanimate, making them easy targets. They taste a little like parka squirrel or beaver, though, making them an acquired taste.

Alas I my culinary experience has included neither squirrel nor beaver in my entire life. So I still think I would be really REALLY leery about cooking up some possum. :)
Squirrels back East are more substantial that those in Alaska. Lots more meat on 'em. Beaver I'm not so fond of. I've tried muck-tuk (whale blubber) prepared a couple of different ways and it always resemble eating fatback, or a spoonful of lard. Whale meat is different, tasty but unusual. I have tried beaver, possum, 'coon, and many other things. Ostrich is actually surprisingly good.

Whale blubber is not that tasty to look at but it is considered a delicacy in some of the northern realms like Iceland. So during this past Christmas season I was featuring daily reports of odd holiday traditions on Facebook and posted a picture of whale blubber holiday treats. It was not well received. I was afraid half my Facebook friends were going to unfriend me. :)

Lunch suggestion:

No laughing, but where I grew up, possum was often on the domestic menu. They're easy to catch using a trash can, and when "busted", they tend to become inanimate, making them easy targets. They taste a little like parka squirrel or beaver, though, making them an acquired taste.

Alas I my culinary experience has included neither squirrel nor beaver in my entire life. So I still think I would be really REALLY leery about cooking up some possum. :)
Squirrels back East are more substantial that those in Alaska. Lots more meat on 'em. Beaver I'm not so fond of. I've tried muck-tuk (whale blubber) prepared a couple of different ways and it always resemble eating fatback, or a spoonful of lard. Whale meat is different, tasty but unusual. I have tried beaver, possum, 'coon, and many other things. Ostrich is actually surprisingly good.

Whale blubber is not that tasty to look at but it is considered a delicacy in some of the northern realms like Iceland. So during this past Christmas season I was featuring daily reports of odd holiday traditions on Facebook and posted a picture of whale blubber holiday treats. It was not well received. I was afraid half my Facebook friends were going to unfriend me. :)
Why would they do that? Whales? In Alaska, whales are the mainstay of some villages' diet. Not a lot to eat in some places, you know.

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, and Sheila's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
GW's daughter's friend Sachendra,
Ernie's friend and colleague Max,
Boedicca's mom for healing and relief from pain,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
Save and Mrs. L in adversity,
Chris in transition,
Ernie for wellness, rest, and extra strength,
Those in the dangerous cold zones,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
Safe travels for those traveling,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, Jughead, Sheila, and Becki and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

mica-lamp-company-sb40-storybook-tavern-outdoor-pendant-rust-powdercoat-.jpg

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Sunshine,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Chris in transition,

And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, Jughead, Sheila, and Becki and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.
An update on my daughter's mentor, Sachenda. She's been hospitalized for the last two weeks. The chemo-therapy has failed the doctors have taken her off the treatment. While she is pretty much insensate, her husband is going through the agony of the damned and hasn't been home since she went into the hospital, moving from work to her bedside. At this point, we are more concerned for his welfare than hers. Please add Bob to the list, Foxy...and their son, Gary. Thank you, everyone, for you prayers and good vibes for this loving couple.

Will do GW. That's really tough but baring a miracle--and I do believe in miracles--it looks like the end is most likely near. Bob and Gary go on the list with her and your daughter.

Lunch suggestion:

Why would they do that? Whales? In Alaska, whales are the mainstay of some villages' diet. Not a lot to eat in some places, you know.

Whales are supposed to be some of the most intelligent animals on the planet.

Lunch suggestion:

Well the folks in Texas, Kansas, Arkansas, California, Washington DC, et al, don't eat a whole lot of blubber. :)

Sunshine,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Chris in transition,

Sunshine,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Chris in transition,

An update on my daughter's mentor, Sachenda. She's been hospitalized for the last two weeks. The chemo-therapy has failed the doctors have taken her off the treatment. While she is pretty much insensate, her husband is going through the agony of the damned and hasn't been home since she went into the hospital, moving from work to her bedside. At this point, we are more concerned for his welfare than hers. Please add Bob to the list, Foxy...and their son, Gary. Thank you, everyone, for you prayers and good vibes for this loving couple.

Will do GW. That's really tough but baring a miracle--and I do believe in miracles--it looks like the end is most likely near. Bob and Gary go on the list with her and your daughter.
Thank you, Foxy. Gary is handling things fairly well, but the husband, Bob...he's devastated and I do not expect things to improve. I am supportive of my daughter but have little contact with the other "players". Bob is a good Christian man and I know he would welcome the prayers of others. I cry when I think of his ordeal and hope he will take no excessive action.

But they are still meat to some people.

I know that is said, and dolphins of course are the smallest of all the whales. But I sometimes wonder, if they're so smart wouldn't they do a better job of staying away from the whaling boats and tuna nets?

OFFICIAL MESSAGE FROM THE PRESIDENT OF THE BITCH ABOUT THE WEATHER CLUB.

Got two or three inches of new snow last night and an inch of ice on top of it all. The President is not happy. Not happy at all. Enough said.
It tried real hard to miss us, pard, but did get us a little. But I hear there's a nice warm up on the way after another couple days of cold. 40's next week!

Sunshine,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Chris in transition,

Sunshine,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Chris in transition,

They have all been added to our prayer list.

And people complain about the heat in NM....no humidity..100 degrees is nothing. A beautiful day. No humidity...I could walk for miles and not even break a sweat!

At what I'm guessing your age is, so could I. I don't tolerate it so well now that I am older.

One time I was running a week long communications training event in Pasadena CA--my first visit to California. The conference was not hosted by the Roman Catholics but was held in a Catholic monastery/conference facility. One afternoon I had a couple of hours free time and decided to go for a walk. I took off down the hill in a lovely residential neighborhood as all Pasadena neighborhoods are. I had walked maybe a mile to the bottom of the hill, bought a coke at a small service station there, and then started back up the hill. I hadn't gone far when I knew I was in trouble. It was a very hot day but I stopped perspiring--my skin was cool and clammy--and I felt very light headed. I was in serious trouble.

This was before the era of cellphones so I gradually worked my way back up the hill, going through yards, lawn sprinklers, trying to stay under the trees as much as possible. When I finally made it back to the monastery grounds, I had about 200 yards across open terrain with no shade to get to the building and I knew if I tried that I would die. A car was coming up the hill. And out of desperation I stuck out my thumb. The driver was a Catholic priest on his way into the facility and he picked me up. And lectured me sternly the whole way as I was out in 104 degree heat with a 5-stage smog alert. What was I thinking?

Anyhow I survived, but I have never tolerated being out in the sun for prolonged periods since that time.
Humidity will kill. Dry heat...not so bad.

No unusually high humidity in southern California that day--certainly nothing I wasn't used to being from Kansas at that time. But 104 degree heat with the highest smog level and there is no oxygen in the air. Very dangerous.

Couple more days of cold weather and then it is supposed to begin to warm up. Weatherman says it will be 49 on Monday. Hope he's correct. The fur-lined speedo I've been wearing is beginning to get on my nerves!

Whales, gorillas, chimpanzees, dolphins, elephants.
I keep being told these are some of the most intelligent animals on the planet, yet all of them are on the WWF endangered list.
Humans, dogs, cats --- not on the list.

I keep being told these are some of the most intelligent animals on the planet, yet all of them are on the WWF endangered list.

Neither are cockroaches.
Hehe, I had them and mosquitoes on my original list but then edited out non-mammals and domesticated food source animals.

Neither are cockroaches.

I'm curious,
if cockroaches were on the verge of becoming extinct, would the WWF be lobbying for their preservation?

Forum List

Back