USMB Coffee Shop IV

Whales, gorillas, chimpanzees, dolphins, elephants.
I keep being told these are some of the most intelligent animals on the planet, yet all of them are on the WWF endangered list.
Humans, dogs, cats --- not on the list.

Neither are cockroaches.

I'm curious,
if cockroaches were on the verge of becoming extinct, would the WWF be lobbying for their preservation?

No doubt.:D

Citron+Teachers+Pet+11.12.JPG

I keep being told these are some of the most intelligent animals on the planet, yet all of them are on the WWF endangered list.

Neither are cockroaches.

I'm curious,
if cockroaches were on the verge of becoming extinct, would the WWF be lobbying for their preservation?

No doubt.:D

Citron+Teachers+Pet+11.12.JPG
Eeeewwwww!
Calls to mind a visit I made to the National Museum of Natural History in DC with my daughter (long ago and far away). There was a display that featured a variety of creepy-crawlies. One of the docents was displaying some of the display's inhabitants and passing them among the children gathered around her. The parents were plastered along the walls. Kids were fascinated, though, and totally unaffected.

Whales are supposed to be some of the most intelligent animals on the planet.

Because they are too intelligent to make good pets, therefore humans (other than groups like the WWF) don't bother protecting them for the most part?

Really, the animals that people do or do not worry about protecting often seem arbitrary. Why do we care so much about dogs, but not, say, pigs? :dunno:

And people complain about the heat in NM....no humidity..100 degrees is nothing. A beautiful day. No humidity...I could walk for miles and not even break a sweat!
I lived in The land of entrapment for nearly a year, so I'm familiar with 100 + in the shade. We see a few days of about 105 in the summer here in Lower Alabama. With our high humidity, it's 10 times more oppressive. I've walked up in the hills East of town at over 100 and it's easy compared to doing the same with a 1,200 pound weight on your chest here.
People ask me what I mean by dry heat.

Think Thanksgiving morning. The turkey has been in the oven for 3 hours and it's time to baste it. You open the oven door, pull the bird out slightly and get nice and close to look at your handiwork. You are experiencing "dry heat", only Albuquerque doesn't smell so good.

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Spoonie, Ringel, 007, Hombre, and Sheila's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj,
The Ringels in difficult transition,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary.
Ernie's friend and colleague Max,
Boedicca's mom for healing and relief from pain,
Mrs. BBD's knee,
Mrs. O and SFCOllie and Colonel,
Save and Mrs. L in adversity,
Chris in transition,
Ernie for wellness, rest, and extra strength,
Those in the dangerous cold zones,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
Safe travels for those traveling,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, Jughead, Sheila, and Becki and all the others who have been MIA lately. We hope everyone is okay.

mica-lamp-company-sb40-storybook-tavern-outdoor-pendant-rust-powdercoat-.jpg

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

Lunch suggestion:

1509148_771013099601740_2246155954216126615_n.jpg
No laughing, but where I grew up, possum was often on the domestic menu. They're easy to catch using a trash can, and when "busted", they tend to become inanimate, making them easy targets. They taste a little like parka squirrel or beaver, though, making them an acquired taste.

Alas I my culinary experience has included neither squirrel nor beaver in my entire life. So I still think I would be really REALLY leery about cooking up some possum. :)
I've had squirrel, but not beaver or possum. I have tried cougar, rabbit and porcupine. With the cat, it was a shoot it, eat it ethical dilemma. Not too bad actually. Think veal.

No offense taken. :) You wouldn't be the first to not be enamored with Albuquerque and won't be the last. Ringel seriously looked at Albuquerque as a possible new location and I'm pretty sure he would prefer many other places to here. :)
Alamogordo isn't too bad. When I was there...it was growing. Can't tell you what it looks like now. Personally, I would move to Cruces and make the drive everyday. But you are right, Cruces is heavily hispanic...a lot of illegals in Cruces as the Border Patrol Stations lie outside the city heading towards Alamogordo and Alburquerque...but it is also a college town, so very diverse. Alamogordo isn't as hispanic as a lot of people think. Like I said, border patrol stations protect it from Las Cruces and El Paso. A lot of retired military, Native Americans (Ruidoso is a few miles away (Indian Reservation).
(Sorry, you have me reminiscing on my days in NM)

Reminiscing is okay. We all do it.

You won't find many more eclectic places than the Coffee Shop has been over the years. The Coffee Shop opened in 2010--we had to start new threads from time to time when the USMB server was having trouble accommodating us--that is why we are Coffee Shop IV--but when you add up the four threads, we are approaching 130,000 posts and have more than 5 million looks.

And the topics discussed in here range from interpersonal relationships to shrunken heads to recipes to Civil War re-enactments to weather to fashion to high tech stuff plus a lot of cars, trucks, tools, motorcycles, work related stuff, travel, hunting, pets, the paranormal etc.--there probably aren't a lot of subjects we haven't touched on at some time or another. Nothing is really off limits. We have seen our members through a lot of tough times--trouble at work, serious illnesses and head colds, worries about or loss of loved ones, beloved pets, or other difficulties and we have rejoiced in the good things.

We just don't discuss politics or controversial social/religious topics as there doesn't seem to be any way to do that without ruffling feathers and introducting an unpleasant toxic element. The Coffee Shop is intended as a refuge from all that. Some get their feathers ruffled anyway, but as I said, nobody loves everybody. But those who can set aside personal differences and just love/enjoy each other seem to be able to get through anything.

So welcome aboard. We hope you feel at home enough here to join our wierd and very diverse family here.
And COOKING! Your forgot our recipe exchanges.

Ah you missed the recipes listed right up there with the shrunken heads. No relationship beween the two hopefully. :)
My bad! Wouldn't surprise me if someone around here did have a recipe featuring shrunken heads, though.
:desk:

This is the one I mentioned:

View attachment 37399
OOOOOOOO k... now that got my attention... I mean of course, I'm a single guy.
The picture doesn't do her justice. She is gorgeous. Half Panamanian, 23 with a Masters in child development and a PHD candidate.
Built like a brick......... and a 150 IQ. God was VERY kind to that girl. A bonus/curse is she is honest to a fault. Never ask her if your ass looks big in those pants, but she has a manager code to my registers.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Lunch suggestion:

No laughing, but where I grew up, possum was often on the domestic menu. They're easy to catch using a trash can, and when "busted", they tend to become inanimate, making them easy targets. They taste a little like parka squirrel or beaver, though, making them an acquired taste.

Alas I my culinary experience has included neither squirrel nor beaver in my entire life. So I still think I would be really REALLY leery about cooking up some possum. :)
I've had squirrel, but not beaver or possum. I have tried cougar, rabbit and porcupine. With the cat, it was a shoot it, eat it ethical dilemma. Not too bad actually. Think veal.
A long time cat owner, I found eating cougar difficult. Light, low-fat meat, though. Americans have an aversion to eating carnivores and omnivores. I do appreciate " bear-b-que". Black bear is much better than brown bear.

Lunch suggestion:

A long time cat owner, I found eating cougar difficult. Light, low-fat meat, though. Americans have an aversion to eating carnivores and omnivores. I do appreciate " bear-b-que". Black bear is much better than brown bear.
Never had brown bear, but I did stock the freezer with 275 pounds of black bear one time. I'll NEVER shoot another out of sight of my truck.

Lunch suggestion:

Never had brown bear, but I did stock the freezer with 275 pounds of black bear one time. I'll NEVER shoot another out of sight of my truck.
Bear is not at the top of my menu list, but you can deal with tough meat a variety of ways. Brown bear up here often harbors trichinosis and they are what they eat. Even Natives take a pass on brown bear.

All bear should be handled like pork and depending on the time of year, black bear aren't near as tough as venison. Well fed fall bear are much better than skinny spring bear.
I've made some chili that was to die for and sauerbraten that was amazing.

Lunch suggestion:

Got your exercise that day didn'tcha....... :lol:

The next front finally came in, snowing to beat the band (I love that phrase...... :D )
One problem with not working, one forgets to check the date, forgot February has only 28 days, just realized yesterday it was March....... gotta pay the rent....... :lol:

Got your exercise that day didn'tcha....... :lol:
Ah yes. 2 of us dragged 3.5 miles. Got it out to the road and didn't have enough left to get it in the pick-up.

The next front finally came in, snowing to beat the band (I love that phrase...... :D )
One problem with not working, one forgets to check the date, forgot February has only 28 days, just realized yesterday it was March....... gotta pay the rent....... :lol:

I know someone else who suffers senior moments like that. He sends his regards BTW. :)

Forum List

Back