USMB Sports Bar

The Celtics were an absolute embarassment last night, I know Pierce didn't play but still this is a disgrace to lose to the worst team in the league like that.

The Celtics were an absolute embarassment last night, I know Pierce didn't play but still this is a disgrace to lose to the worst team in the league like that.

That's the second time we lost to the Bobcats. It doesn't matter who our opponent is. We'll do our best to play at their level. In certain cases, we don't show up.

And that's like the third time, we had a five or six game win streak snapped by a horrible team.

That's the second time we lost to the Bobcats. It doesn't matter who our opponent is. We'll do our best to play at their level. In certain cases, we don't show up.

And that's like the third time, we had a five or six game win streak snapped by a horrible team.

And every game counts for the Celtics right now, games against teams like Bobcats are supposed to be a gift, an easy win to try and land a good playoff spot, but instead we squander them. Unbelievable.

And every game counts for the Celtics right now, games against teams like Bobcats are supposed to be a gift, an easy win to try and land a good playoff spot, but instead we squander them. Unbelievable.

I don't know if the C's believe that. Finishing 6 or 7 means the C's don't have to play the Heat til the conference finals.

I don't know if the C's believe that. Finishing 6 or 7 means the C's don't have to play the Heat til the conference finals.

Yes but losing these games could put them in the 8th spot and they will have to face the Heat in the first round. They are not that far about the 8th spot right now, a loss tonight could land them right back in it.

Yes but losing these games could put them in the 8th spot and they will have to face the Heat in the first round. They are not that far about the 8th spot right now, a loss tonight could land them right back in it.

I'm sure they're weary of that and still playing. But eventually, they're gonna start zeroing in on the 6 or 7 probably and Doc will do DNPs and minutes accordingly. In interviews, of course they'll say they're going for the 4 spot.

And I think if they're gonna play Miami - first round or Conference Finals is optimal. First round you can go into it fresh. Conference Finals you can hope for momentum/injuries to go your way.

I'm sure they're weary of that and still playing. But eventually, they're gonna start zeroing in on the 6 or 7 probably and Doc will do DNPs and minutes accordingly. In interviews, of course they'll say they're going for the 4 spot.

And I think if they're gonna play Miami - first round or Conference Finals is optimal. First round you can go into it fresh. Conference Finals you can hope for momentum/injuries to go your way.

Your pretty much right as far as what the team is thinking, but they shouldn't focus too much on Miami. We can easily get trounced by Brooklyn or even the Bulls, we are not as good as we were last year.

Your pretty much right as far as what the team is thinking, but they shouldn't focus too much on Miami. We can easily get trounced by Brooklyn or even the Bulls, we are not as good as we were last year.

Pacers and Knicks scare me more. We actually match up well with the Nets and Bulls.

Yea, C's could go out in any round. There's no givens.

Pacers and Knicks scare me more. We actually match up well with the Nets and Bulls.

That really sucks, if we still had Perkins and Stiesma for his back up we would be good to go with our bigs. This whole year sucks and it smells like a Miami repeat.

That really sucks, if we still had Perkins and Stiesma for his back up we would be good to go with our bigs. This whole year sucks and it smells like a Miami repeat.

I saw a play where Lebron plowed a guy on a long court pass and then took the ball to the other end and got an end one. The next play, the refs called a silly charge and gave them another possession. Someone sent out a memo, 'Heat need home court for the finals.'

Vid Description: Contrary to popular belief, Larry Bird was a great defender, he has a defensive rating higher than Jordan, Magic, Lebron, Kobe and Pippen. He is also 24th all time in steals per game. Larry Bird led the league in Defensive Win Shares 4 times in his career: 1980, 81, 84 & 86. He is also 25th All Time in Defensive Win Shares.

I would add, the best off ball (help) defender, I've ever seen. Furthermore, maybe the best defender against the break I've ever seen. I saw him break-up 3 v 1 fast breaks, countless times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vid Description: Contrary to popular belief, Larry Bird was a great defender, he has a defensive rating higher than Jordan, Magic, Lebron, Kobe and Pippen. He is also 24th all time in steals per game. Larry Bird led the league in Defensive Win Shares 4 times in his career: 1980, 81, 84 & 86. He is also 25th All Time in Defensive Win Shares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Ixy8Uttq0

I would add, the best off ball (help) defender, I've ever seen. Furthermore, maybe the best defender against the break I've ever seen. I saw him break-up 3 v 1 fast breaks, countless times.

f1013d0b_909263d6_2291482-not_sure_if_serious.jpeg

Go to basketball reference dot com and look it up, brah. And Bird did it in the big games too:

1981 NBA Finals - Bird: 2.3 Stls, 0.5 Blks (Series stls leader)
1984 NBA Finals - Bird: 2.1 Stls, 1.1 Blks (Series stls leader)
1985 NBA Finals - Bird: 1.8 Stls, 0.7 Blks (C's stls leader)
1986 NBA Finals - Bird: 2.7 Stls, 0.3 Blks (Series stls leader)
1987 NBA Finals - Bird: 1.2 Stls, 1.2 Blks (C's stls leader)

It's no coincidence that the C's won the three of five finals, Bird played his best D either.

And I looked up Bird's last ECF (88) for the fun of it. His last real playoff series before the major injuries -- 16 stls, 9 blocks in 6 games. That's 2.7 stls, 1.5 blks per game in a conference finals, holmes.

Perhaps, you missed some of his other defensive exploits, like the the game winning stl in the 1987 ECF Game 5 to put the C's up 3-2 and then go on to win that finals. Or his stl to end the 1985 ECF and go to the finals. Or the fact that he had like 6 to 8 stls and some odd blocks in the 1981 ECF Gm 7, 91-90 thriller (Still the most draining, epic game I've ever witnessed). Unfortunately, I cannot find a box score of that game, but I recall Bird stealing balls like a mad man and the announcer being amazed and announcing it each time and when he got his sixth steal.

Go watch any 1986 NBA Finals Game that's on YT right now and notice how Bird always has keen defensive position on every play. I can't tell you how many times he blocked or stole the ball from Olajuwon.

And if you'll notice on that video, Bird constantly stopping Jordan in his tracks. That was the standard, though you can find a vid of Jordan dunking over older Bird after the whistle.

Larry Bird was an excellent defender.

Go to basketball reference dot com and look it up, brah. And Bird did it in the big games too:

It's no coincidence that the C's won the three of five finals, Bird played his best D either.

And I looked up Bird's last ECF (88) for the fun of it. His last real playoff series before the major injuries -- 16 stls, 9 blocks in 6 games. That's 2.7 stls, 1.5 blks per game in a conference finals, holmes.

Perhaps, you missed some of his other defensive exploits, like the the game winning stl in the 1987 ECF Game 5 to put the C's up 3-2 and then go on to win that finals. Or his stl to end the 1985 ECF and go to the finals. Or the fact that he had like 6 to 8 stls and some odd blocks in the 1981 ECF Gm 7, 91-90 thriller (Still the most draining, epic game I've ever witnessed). Unfortunately, I cannot find a box score of that game, but I recall Bird stealing balls like a mad man and the announcer being amazed and announcing it each time and when he got his sixth steal.

Go watch any 1986 NBA Finals Game that's on YT right now and notice how Bird always has keen defensive position on every play. I can't tell you how many times he blocked or stole the ball from Olajuwon.

And if you'll notice on that video, Bird constantly stopping Jordan in his tracks. That was the standard, though you can find a vid of Jordan dunking over older Bird after the whistle.

First of all- those numbers aren't mind blowing, brah. Second of all- Bird was a defensive liability. Anyone who who knows anything about the game, takes that as fact. You saying Bird was great defensive player is one of the most outrageous sports claims I ever heard.

First of all- those numbers aren't mind blowing, brah. Second of all- Bird was a defensive liability. Anyone who who knows anything about the game, takes that as fact. You saying Bird was great defensive player is one of the most outrageous sports claims I ever heard.

I always thought Bird was a pretty good defender?:confused:

I always thought Bird was a pretty good defender?:confused:

He could get into the passing lanes and steal the ball. That's about it. He couldn't stop anyone one on one. They didn't have advanced stats in his era, but the general consences is defense was the weakest part of his game.

Forum List

Back