USMB Sports Bar

f1013d0b_909263d6_2291482-not_sure_if_serious.jpeg

Go to basketball reference dot com and look it up, brah. And Bird did it in the big games too:

1981 NBA Finals - Bird: 2.3 Stls, 0.5 Blks (Series stls leader)
1984 NBA Finals - Bird: 2.1 Stls, 1.1 Blks (Series stls leader)
1985 NBA Finals - Bird: 1.8 Stls, 0.7 Blks (C's stls leader)
1986 NBA Finals - Bird: 2.7 Stls, 0.3 Blks (Series stls leader)
1987 NBA Finals - Bird: 1.2 Stls, 1.2 Blks (C's stls leader)

It's no coincidence that the C's won the three of five finals, Bird played his best D either.

And I looked up Bird's last ECF (88) for the fun of it. His last real playoff series before the major injuries -- 16 stls, 9 blocks in 6 games. That's 2.7 stls, 1.5 blks per game in a conference finals, holmes.

Perhaps, you missed some of his other defensive exploits, like the the game winning stl in the 1987 ECF Game 5 to put the C's up 3-2 and then go on to win that finals. Or his stl to end the 1985 ECF and go to the finals. Or the fact that he had like 6 to 8 stls and some odd blocks in the 1981 ECF Gm 7, 91-90 thriller (Still the most draining, epic game I've ever witnessed). Unfortunately, I cannot find a box score of that game, but I recall Bird stealing balls like a mad man and the announcer being amazed and announcing it each time and when he got his sixth steal.

Go watch any 1986 NBA Finals Game that's on YT right now and notice how Bird always has keen defensive position on every play. I can't tell you how many times he blocked or stole the ball from Olajuwon.

And if you'll notice on that video, Bird constantly stopping Jordan in his tracks. That was the standard, though you can find a vid of Jordan dunking over older Bird after the whistle.

First of all- those numbers aren't mind blowing, brah. Second of all- Bird was a defensive liability. Anyone who who knows anything about the game, takes that as fact. You saying Bird was great defensive player is one of the most outrageous sports claims I ever heard.

You don't lead your team in steals in all five finals unless you are a great defender. PERIOD. And you don't lead both teams in steals in 3 of 5 Finals unless you are a great defender PERIOD. And he beat out the great DJ every time and he is regarded as amongst the best on-ball defenders of all-time.

And Bird often held people in check one on one. In fact, he did it to Michael Jordan on switches on many occasions. Some of them are right in the video if you bothered to watch it.

Did you watch the opening where Bob Knight said he had the best eye-hand coordination of anyone whoever played the game? That's a huge part of defense. And Bird often sagged off players b/c he was smart. He knew there range and he dared them to shoot their bricks so that his bigs could board the ball and they could break. He also was a chess master out there. He anticipated that the shot would not come and then he'd be thinking 2 to 3 passes ahead of where he could get a steal.

You really think that a player gets to 24th all-time in stls per game (at the time of that video) w/o being a great defender? Seriously?

2.7 stls, 1.5 blks in a conference finals, "mind blowing?" - I wouldn't go that far. But when Lebron puts up numbers like that in a series, you can be sure the media will be slobbering all over him for it.

First of all- those numbers aren't mind blowing, brah. Second of all- Bird was a defensive liability. Anyone who who knows anything about the game, takes that as fact. You saying Bird was great defensive player is one of the most outrageous sports claims I ever heard.

I always thought Bird was a pretty good defender?:confused:

He could get into the passing lanes and steal the ball. That's about it. He couldn't stop anyone one on one. They didn't have advanced stats in his era, but the general consences is defense was the weakest part of his game.

Mmm. I don't know if it's a big deal that the general consensus is defense is the weakest part of his game, when Bird's one of the best shooter/scorer, passer, rebounder, money players of all-time. What's left?

And I wouldn't minimize the ability to get into a passing lane. If the other team is worried about lingering defenders disrupting their rhythm, that forces players to play hero ball, which is a huge boost for team defense.

Also, at the time of the vid, Bird was 24th all time in stls per game. He is currently 30th. You don't tend to be that high on the list if you're not a great defender.

His 1.73 stls per game ranks him tied with LBJ. And we'll see if Lebron keeps that average that high when he's playing with a bad back and two repaired achilles heels.

Also, bare in mind that Bird was a power forward / small forward. (Realistically a power forward playing small forward to accommodate McHale/Maxwell). How many 6'9" forwards can you think of that hat great lateral quickness? I can't think of one off the top of my head. So I think your point is a bit misleading. Other than that, yea perhaps Bird was arguably sub par on ball defender (on the perimeter). But overall, he was a great defender nonetheless.

Go to basketball reference dot com and look it up, brah. And Bird did it in the big games too:

1981 NBA Finals - Bird: 2.3 Stls, 0.5 Blks (Series stls leader)
1984 NBA Finals - Bird: 2.1 Stls, 1.1 Blks (Series stls leader)
1985 NBA Finals - Bird: 1.8 Stls, 0.7 Blks (C's stls leader)
1986 NBA Finals - Bird: 2.7 Stls, 0.3 Blks (Series stls leader)
1987 NBA Finals - Bird: 1.2 Stls, 1.2 Blks (C's stls leader)

It's no coincidence that the C's won the three of five finals, Bird played his best D either.

And I looked up Bird's last ECF (88) for the fun of it. His last real playoff series before the major injuries -- 16 stls, 9 blocks in 6 games. That's 2.7 stls, 1.5 blks per game in a conference finals, holmes.

Perhaps, you missed some of his other defensive exploits, like the the game winning stl in the 1987 ECF Game 5 to put the C's up 3-2 and then go on to win that finals. Or his stl to end the 1985 ECF and go to the finals. Or the fact that he had like 6 to 8 stls and some odd blocks in the 1981 ECF Gm 7, 91-90 thriller (Still the most draining, epic game I've ever witnessed). Unfortunately, I cannot find a box score of that game, but I recall Bird stealing balls like a mad man and the announcer being amazed and announcing it each time and when he got his sixth steal.

Go watch any 1986 NBA Finals Game that's on YT right now and notice how Bird always has keen defensive position on every play. I can't tell you how many times he blocked or stole the ball from Olajuwon.

And if you'll notice on that video, Bird constantly stopping Jordan in his tracks. That was the standard, though you can find a vid of Jordan dunking over older Bird after the whistle.

You don't lead your team in steals in all five finals unless you are a great defender. PERIOD. And you don't lead both teams in steals in 3 of 5 Finals unless you are a great defender PERIOD. And he beat out the great DJ every time and he is regarded as amongst the best on-ball defenders of all-time.

And Bird often held people in check one on one. In fact, he did it to Michael Jordan on switches on many occasions. Some of them are right in the video if you bothered to watch it.

Did you watch the opening where Bob Knight said he had the best eye-hand coordination of anyone whoever played the game? That's a huge part of defense. And Bird often sagged off players b/c he was smart. He knew there range and he dared them to shoot their bricks so that his bigs could board the ball and they could break. He also was a chess master out there. He anticipated that the shot would not come and then he'd be thinking 2 to 3 passes ahead of where he could get a steal.

You really think that a player gets to 24th all-time in stls per game (at the time of that video) w/o being a great defender? Seriously?

2.7 stls, 1.5 blks in a conference finals, "mind blowing?" - I wouldn't go that far. But when Lebron puts up numbers like that in a series, you can be sure the media will be slobbering all over him for it.

I stopped reading at Bird is considered one of the best on ball defenders of all time. You really don't know the game. Get off Bird's dick.

I stopped reading at Bird is considered one of the best on ball defenders of all time. You really don't know the game. Get off Bird's dick.

You got schooled chump. That's why you only have kindergarten comebacks.

Schooled? Your ridiculosness has been called out. Here's the inconveniet truth- Bird couldn't stop anyone one on one. Furthermore I'm not going to discuss this with you anymore because you obviously lack a fundemental base of knowledge required for this conversation and you have an extreme bias in favor of your favorite player.

Schooled? Your ridiculosness has been called out. Here's the inconveniet truth- Bird couldn't stop anyone one on one. Furthermore I'm not going to discuss this with you anymore because you obviously lack a fundemental base of knowledge required for this conversation and you have an extreme bias in favor of your favorite player.

I'd much rather have a so-called extreme bias than the complete denial of reality that you have. You're only making yourself look foolish and childish for that matter.

Looks like Kobe is out indefinently, thats not a good look for the Lakers.

A few points:

1. It looked especially bad on the one replay.
2. He was walking normal w/o a limp shortly after. It's not too bad if you can do that. However, that doesn't mean that it won't stiffen and get worse.
3. I would think he could play the next game at 85-90 percent if he wanted to.
4. He was holding the high ankle. Regardless of whether the sprain is that bad, those are bad b/c they linger. I would halfway expect for it to bother him for the rest of the season, though not necessarily in games.

BTW - Watch that rip of Drexler at 1:54, one v one in the open court and then tell me that Bird couldn't hang on-ball. Few players could ever pull off a steal like that.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULvo7__wwBU]Larry Bird the best ever - YouTube[/ame]

Also, defensive rebounding is a defensive stat. Bird averaged more defensive rebounds per game than both McHale and Parish. And his 8.0 career average would put him tied for 4th with rebounders for this season. And the 8.6 he had his final season (when he had less mobility to steal, so he got on the glass), that would put him ranked 2nd for this season.

You know DICK ROCKO. You're the one with the extreme bias and if you played that BS card before when getting owned.

Bird is 23rd all-time in d-rebs; in between David Robinson and Ben Wallace and not that far behind Dennis Rodman.

Bird was the top d-reb leader in the 81,84,87 playoffs.

Last edited:
Continuing with the Rocko knows DICK theme:

Bird led the league with 54 steals during his 1984 championship run. That is the second most in history and has not been matched or beaten since 1988.

Jordan's best playoff run in steals? 44. Pippen's best playoff run in steals? 47.

How many did LBJ have during his first championship run in 07? 34

How many did Rondo have during the C's 08 championship run in 08? 38

How about the allegedly great defender, Kobe Bryant's best stls run during the Lakers first championship, 00? 32

How about we go with a deep track for real basketball fans. Derrick Harper was one of the best on ball defenders I've ever seen. His prime was Dallas, but in NY in 94 he led the playoffs with how much? 42

How about 97 when the two great defenders, Olajuwon and Stockton tied? A poultry 33.

Wow. If Bird is not a great defender, how come nobody is bothering to match his numbers? Surely, coaches must not think highly of steals. :cuckoo:

Bird led the league with 54 steals during his 1984 championship run. That is the second most in history and has not been matched or beaten since 1988.

Jordan's best playoff run in steals? 44. Pippen's best playoff run in steals? 47.

How about the allegedly great defender, Kobe Bryant's best stls run during the Lakers first championship, 00? 32

How about we go with a deep track for real basketball fans. Derrick Harper was one of the best on ball defenders I've ever seen. His prime was Dallas, but in NY in 94 he led the playoffs with how much? 42

How about 97 when the two great defenders, Olajuwon and Stockton tied? A poultry 33.

Wow. If Bird is not a great defender, how come nobody is bothering to match his numbers? Surely, coaches must not think highly of steals. :cuckoo:

You act like steals is the number one indicator for how good a defender one is. Bird may have got a few steal because he got in the passing lanes once and a while, but he couldn't constantly stay in front of his man. Overall he lacked the quickness to guard anyone on the perimeter and wasn't a super strong guy in the post either. It's a widely known fact that Bird was a sub par defender. There's no honest and reasonable rationalization of Bird being a great defender. Cut the bullshit.

You act like steals is the number one indicator for how good a defender one is. Bird may have got a few steal because he got in the passing lanes once and a while, but he couldn't constantly stay in front of his man. Overall he lacked the quickness to guard anyone on the perimeter and wasn't a super strong guy in the post either. It's a widely known fact that Bird was a sub par defender. There's no honest and reasonable rationalization of Bird being a great defender. Cut the bullshit.

You're the one that's full of shit. Bird actually did constantly keep his man in front of him. It was actually pretty rare for an offensive player to take it all the way to the hole on him. Yes, he did tend to sag against players; but he would do that against slow or fast players as long as they were out of their shooting range. That was playing to his strengths? You're gonna penalize him for playing to his strengths? And yes stls and defensive rebound are two of the three main defensive stats and I've shown you how he unequivocally dominated them. You don't dominate those stats without being three things:

1. Quick (either with feet or hands or both).
2. Tough
3. Smart/Savvy

And in Bird's case, his insane eye-hand coordination made him just that much more dominant. There are plenty of players who can swipe a ball or stay in front of their man. But they don't have the instinct and the coordination to pick the ball and control it cleanly. It's more of a crap shoot. With Bird, it was a science and an art. And going back to the passing lanes, yes he was the best at playing the passing lanes. So b/c he wasn't a lock-down one v one defender on the perimeter against guards then that means he wasn't a great defender? How much bull shit is that? That's like me saying that Gary Payton's not a great defender b/c he couldn't guard Shaq one on one in the post. It's total fucking nonsense.

Looks like Kobe is out indefinently, thats not a good look for the Lakers.

A few points:

1. It looked especially bad on the one replay.
2. He was walking normal w/o a limp shortly after. It's not too bad if you can do that. However, that doesn't mean that it won't stiffen and get worse.
3. I would think he could play the next game at 85-90 percent if he wanted to.
4. He was holding the high ankle. Regardless of whether the sprain is that bad, those are bad b/c they linger. I would halfway expect for it to bother him for the rest of the season, though not necessarily in games.

The Lakers don't really have the luxury to rest him that long either, if they lose a few games they can be right out of the playoff picture.

You're the one that's full of shit. Bird actually did constantly keep his man in front of him. It was actually pretty rare for an offensive player to take it all the way to the hole on him. Yes, he did tend to sag against players; but he would do that against slow or fast players as long as they were out of their shooting range. That was playing to his strengths? You're gonna penalize him for playing to his strengths? And yes stls and defensive rebound are two of the three main defensive stats and I've shown you how he unequivocally dominated them. You don't dominate those stats without being three things:

2. Tough
3. Smart/Savvy

And in Bird's case, his insane eye-hand coordination made him just that much more dominant. There are plenty of players who can swipe a ball or stay in front of their man. But they don't have the instinct and the coordination to pick the ball and control it cleanly. It's more of a crap shoot. With Bird, it was a science and an art. And going back to the passing lanes, yes he was the best at playing the passing lanes. So b/c he wasn't a lock-down one v one defender on the perimeter against guards then that means he wasn't a great defender? How much bull shit is that? That's like me saying that Gary Payton's not a great defender b/c he couldn't guard Shaq one on one in the post. It's total fucking nonsense.

Who said anything about Bird not being able to guard guards? Of course he couldn't guard guards on the perimeter, he couldn't guard anyone on the perimeter. Lol at your entire post BTW.Bird had it down to a science. lmao that's rich!

2. Tough
3. Smart/Savvy

Who said anything about Bird not being able to guard guards? Of course he couldn't guard guards on the perimeter, he couldn't guard anyone on the perimeter. Lol at your entire post BTW.Bird had it down to a science. lmao that's rich!

It's sad how I come at you with points and you come back at me with nonsense. Bird dominated 2 of 3 defensive stats and was decent in the third. You don't have an argument against that b/c you would rather rely on urban myths. That's not rich. That's poor. A very poor showing on your part. You're just not in my league when it comes to basketball analysis. That's cool though.

BTW - who are these people that are allegedly driving by Bird all the time? B/C the infamous game where Bird and DJ fought; Bird was 17-23 with 42 pts in the 3rd and Doctor J was at 6 points on 3-13 shooting. It seems like to me that he'd have had a much better scoring line if Bird couldn't guard his man on the perimeter? Yea, you just want to rely on your urban myths instead of looking at reality for what it is. At that time, Bird was mocking Doctor J, yelling 42-6. It doesn't seem to me like he'd be talking that kind of trash if he thought the other guy was gonna drive on him at will. I know when I play pick-up games, I don't trash talk if I can't back it up. I wonder if you even play basketball to believe in such urban myths.

Last edited:

2. Tough
3. Smart/Savvy

It's sad how I come at you with points and you come back at me with nonsense. Bird dominated 2 of 3 defensive stats and was decent in the third. You don't have an argument against that b/c you would rather rely on urban myths. That's not rich. That's poor. A very poor showing on your part. You're just not in my league when it comes to basketball analysis. That's cool though.

BTW - who are these people that are allegedly driving by Bird all the time? B/C the infamous game where Bird and DJ fought; Bird was 17-23 with 42 pts in the 3rd and Doctor J was at 6 points on 3-13 shooting. It seems like to me that he'd have had a much better scoring line if Bird couldn't guard his man on the perimeter? Yea, you just want to rely on your urban myths instead of looking at reality for what it is. At that time, Bird was mocking Doctor J, yelling 42-6. It doesn't seem to me like he'd be talking that kind of trash if he thought the other guy was gonna drive on him at will. I know when I play pick-up games, I don't trash talk if I can't back it up. I wonder if you even play basketball to believe in such urban myths.

What 2 stats did he " dominate"? The only reason he got a lot of steals was he gambled a lot in the passing lanes. It wasn't because he was fast. If they kept advanced stats in those days there would be undeniable proof he couln't play d. I find it funny how you're trying to rationalize something even you aren't stupid enough to believe. You're just a Larry Bird fanboy and like a child you're trying to say he's the best. Carry on lol.

What 2 stats did he " dominate"? The only reason he got a lot of steals was he gambled a lot in the passing lanes. It wasn't because he was fast. If they kept advanced stats in those days there would be undeniable proof he couln't play d. I find it funny how you're trying to rationalize something even you aren't stupid enough to believe. You're just a Larry Bird fanboy and like a child you're trying to say he's the best. Carry on lol.

That's convenient how you skipped over how Doctor J scored 6 on 3-13 shooting to Bird's 42 on 17-23 shooting. How could a great player like Doctor J get his ass so thorougly whooped if Bird was such a horrible defender that was constantly getting blown by? You don't have an answer b/c like an idiot, you ignore data in favor of urban myths.

And I've shown you how Bird dominated steals and defensive rebounds. Are you that stupid that you have to ask? Apparently, you are. I went over that in pretty extensive detail.

And I'm not rationalizing anything btw. I'm accepting reality while you hold to your urban myths and ignore the data and your eye balls.

Gambling is loaded word. Bird played the angles and had the best eye hand coordination to constantly rip people. He played smart and that's why he dominated w/o having to be the fastest player on the court.

I'm still waiting for you to give me some sort of data or real evidence that Bird was not a great defender. You've given me innuendo at best so far.

That's convenient how you skipped over how Doctor J scored 6 on 3-13 shooting to Bird's 42 on 17-23 shooting. How could a great player like Doctor J get his ass so thorougly whooped if Bird was such a horrible defender that was constantly getting blown by? You don't have an answer b/c like an idiot, you ignore data in favor of urban myths.

And I've shown you how Bird dominated steals and defensive rebounds. Are you that stupid that you have to ask? Apparently, you are. I went over that in pretty extensive detail.

And I'm not rationalizing anything btw. I'm accepting reality while you hold to your urban myths and ignore the data and your eye balls.

Gambling is loaded word. Bird played the angles and had the best eye hand coordination to constantly rip people. He played smart and that's why he dominated w/o having to be the fastest player on the court.

I'm still waiting for you to give me some sort of data or real evidence that Bird was not a great defender. You've given me innuendo at best so far.

I didn't even read half the retarded drivel you posted about Bird's D because I know it's all bullshit. Who cares about what he did against Dr. J in one game? He probably didn't even guard Dr. J. Defensive rebounds!?!?!? Maybe you are that stupid. If defensive rebounding means good defense then David Lee, Kevin Love, and Zach Randolph are all great defenders LMAO. I told you they didn't keep advanced stats is his day so the statistical evidence is limited. What evidence have you presented? 9 blocks in 6 games? You keep regurgitating the same meeningless shit over and over, followed by stupid cliches. Anyone with half a brain can see right through you arguments. Don't think for a second you've made any good points in this discussion, because you haven't.

Last edited:

I didn't even read half the retarded drivel you posted about Bird's D because I know it's all bullshit. Who cares about what he did against Dr. J in one game? He probably didn't even guard Dr. J. Defensive rebounds!?!?!? Maybe you are that stupid. If defensive rebounding means good defense then David Lee, Kevin Love, and Zach Randolph are all great defenders LMAO. I told you they didn't keep advanced stats is his day so the statistical evidence is limited. What evidence have you presented? 9 blocks in 6 games? You keep regurgitating the same meeningless shit over and over, followed by stupid cliches. Anyone with half a brain can see right through you arguments. Don't think for a second you've made any good points in this discussion, because you haven't.

That was my point is that you don't bother to read shit b/c you'd rather be ignorant and make half ass arugments. And let me emphasize the word, ass.

And yes, Bird did guard Dr. J in that game and McHale guarded Barkley.

I've given you mounds of evidence, way to cherry pick one isolated stat (9 blks in 6 games) and pretend that is the crux of my argument. Are you seriously that retarded? B/C anybody who is college educated could spot that fallacy a mile away.

And I've made mounds of good points. You've relied on urban myths. And I'd like an answer to the question, do you even play ball? B/C you clearly don't get that you don't talk trash if you're not able to back it up on both ends of the court. And Bird was was a notorious trash talker.

And again, going back to another point you conveniently ignored. How come only one player has matched or surpassed Bird's 84 playoff record of 54 steals? That was back when first round series were 3 games too btw. You just don't know dick dude. You want to rely on urban myths.

Forum List

Back