Are you equipped for lawn maintenance?

You can get 7 and 8 inch beaver blades for hand-held trimmers and a 12" for wheeled trimmers to take down up to about 3".

The Dewalt 18v cordless pole saw is another good small tool that punches above it's weight class. I've done a lot of cutting with one of those bad boys too. A few small trees, and a lot of big roots in my utility trenches, the Dewalt never let me down...

View attachment 1018766
For cutting trees I use a Stihl Farm Boss 18" chain saw and it does a great job. Never seen a blade like the one above for a weed eater though. I don't know how it would mount on any equipment that I have. I like the mini excavators and they are useful for digging, but I use a 35 hp tractor with a back blade and loader bucket and I have a backhoe attachment that meets my needs and it ran about $20K under what you quoted for the mini excavator. I think I can get the county conservation district to help with the cost of an masticator. I am told I can get away for about $5K to clean up about 10 acres of moderate forest.

I've got a tree to take down this weekend that is a chainsaw job but I will use the excavator to carry it over to the pile.

I have a few stumps that have sprung a whole bunch of new starts that are too big to cut with line and too small and springy for a chainsaw. I use the pole saw to reach in and get to those, or just a lopper. (I really need to just dig out the stumps...)
Yeah, that little..what did Larsky say? "bendy diggy thing" can make short work of stumps.

barneytruestory.gif

There's a trick I know about that. One I learned by messin' up a little bit.

I've got a tree to take down this weekend that is a chainsaw job but I will use the excavator to carry it over to the pile.

I have a few stumps that have sprung a whole bunch of new starts that are too big to cut with line and too small and springy for a chainsaw. I use the pole saw to reach in and get to those, or just a lopper. (I really need to just dig out the stumps...)
I've got a couple of 30 year old poplars with trunks about 3' dia. that I have to take out too. I'm going to hire someone for that job and I'll have them grind the stumps down. I'd do it myself, but due to the proximity to the house, I'll defer to the experts.

Looks like it is a Husqvarna and they make good stuff. I just don't know about the line cutter head though.
Whatever that thing is, I bet it performs better than a Stihl brushcutter.

And I have used a Stihl brushcutter, and they will do some stuff, and they will not do some stuff.

A Stihl brushcutter will not take out 4" scrub Oaks easily.

Unless you're working for a guy that runs one, and that's not what it says on his card.
A close friend is IUOE 150.

A close friend is IUOE 150.
'Round heanh, them things is fer property clearing and demolition. Oh, they do demolition with those things.

How much are those again? You can blaze through some stuff with those things.
Oh, those things are pricey, hiring one is $700 for a half-day around here. (But they can do an amazing amount of clearing in a half-day)

The machine starts at about 60K for one in good shape, you need high-flow hydraulics, so not just any old skid steer will do the job.

The attachment, you just bought the machine again, it's gonna set you back another 50-60K.

And again for the truck and trailer to haul it around...

These things are in super high-demand around here, and usually sitting in a forest somewhere. Loading them up and moving them costs $, and you practically have to get down on your knees and beg to get someone to come out for a small job.

But they are sure fun to watch, that 300' path took about 45 minutes...

I've got a couple of 30 year old poplars with trunks about 3' dia. that I have to take out too. I'm going to hire someone for that job and I'll have them grind the stumps down. I'd do it myself, but due to the proximity to the house, I'll defer to the experts.
The one I'm taking down this weekend is threatening the house, and part of it came down last winter and missed by about 3". I had a cargo trailer parked in the driveway, and it brushed the back on the way down and took out the license plate light but no other damage, I dodged a bullet there.

It's leaning the wrong way, so I'll put a line on it and pull it with the excavator to make it go where I need it to go. It's really 3 trees-in-1, wrapped together so they will have to be cut in the right sequence.

That masticator is the same thing we call a forestry mulcher around here, if you can get some help from the county that's pretty cool. They are funner than hell to watch. Don't stand behind it!

Oh, those things are pricey, hiring one is $700 for a half-day around here. (But they can do an amazing amount of clearing in a half-day)

The machine starts at about 60K for one in good shape, you need high-flow hydraulics, so not just any old skid steer will do the job.

The attachment, you just bought the machine again, it's gonna set you back another 50-60K.

And again for the truck and trailer to haul it around...

These things are in super high-demand around here, and usually sitting in a forest somewhere. Loading them up and moving them costs $, and you practically have to get down on your knees and beg to get someone to come out for a small job.

But they are sure fun to watch, that 300' path took about 45 minutes...
Dude! It's a skidsteer with a freakin' attachment.

$5K for the skidsteer and $12500 for the attachment, GRAWR!

There are typically 3 and sometimes 4 interlocks on newer mowers. The one under the seat, one on the emergency brake, one on the blade clutch, and sometimes one for reverse.

To start the engine, the e-brake must be on, the blades disengaged, and the operator sitting on the seat.

I think Cubs can mow in reverse, Deere's have a button you have to hold down.

The interlock switches can't just be disconnected because it leaves the circuit open. You have to make a jumper wire with spade connectors that takes the place of the switch. Unplug the switch, replace it with the jumper, and the engine will start with no one in the seat.
My John Deere will run with no one in the seat with the blades disengaged and the emergency brake set.

My John Deere will run with no one in the seat with the blades disengaged and the emergency brake set.
My John Deere will run with no one in the seat, blades engaged, and I just popped off the seat to pick up a stick that ain't good for it. It won't be going forward, but it will be running. It's up to me to disengage the blades or not. Everyone should rig their lawnmower seat, IMO.

Whatever that thing is, I bet it performs better than a Stihl brushcutter.

And I have used a Stihl brushcutter, and they will do some stuff, and they will not do some stuff.

A Stihl brushcutter will not take out 4" scrub Oaks easily.
I don't know if that Husq brush cutter would take out a 4" oak either. I'd be willing to bet that line wouldn't touch something like that. Now with those Beaver blades that Para Bellum posted, I'm sure they would be down quickly.

Last edited:
The one I'm taking down this weekend is threatening the house, and part of it came down last winter and missed by about 3". I had a cargo trailer parked in the driveway, and it brushed the back on the way down and took out the license plate light but no other damage, I dodged a bullet there.

It's leaning the wrong way, so I'll put a line on it and pull it with the excavator to make it go where I need it to go. It's really 3 trees-in-1, wrapped together so they will have to be cut in the right sequence.

That masticator is the same thing we call a forestry mulcher around here, if you can get some help from the county that's pretty cool. They are funner than hell to watch. Don't stand behind it!
I know how to do stuff like that. Somewhat, I reckon.

I know how to do stuff like that. Somewhat, I reckon.
Will it start with no one in the seat? Or does it just let you get out with the engine running after you set the brake?
No, you gotta push the clutch brake to start it. But once started, if I see a big stick that'll mess it up,
I can jump off and get big stick and get it out of John Deere's way. Then mow on.
For many people, the mower would cut off if they did that.
IMO, it'd be the 1st thing I'd do.
Then next the bearings for the front end thing.
Don't try this at home just because I do it. (but it does work if you consider that path)
This is the bearings for the front end thing:
I'm probably going to do it. It looks good to me. Have not done that yet..

Last edited:

Forum List

Back