Viral Logic Test from Brazil.

JoeMoma

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2014
Posted below is a video of a logic problem. If interested, take a look and see if you get the same answer per the video explanation. I will post my comments later.

Note: I disagree with the answer given by the video, otherwise I would not have bothered making this thread.

Posted below is a video of a logic problem. If interested, take a look and see if you get the same answer per the video explanation. I will post my comments later.

Note: I disagree with the answer given by the video, otherwise I would not have bothered making this thread.

Use of word hats is plural. Statement "Pinochio has at least one hat" is false. At the least, Pinochio has at least two hats.

Use of word hats is plural. Statement "Pinochio has at least one hat" is false. At the least, Pinochio has at least two hats.
Remember, the statement is a lie. So based on the statement that Pinochio says is a lie, which statement from the choices can you conclude.

I'm with you, this is a fallacious exercise. They have oversimplified. Pinochio could have multiple hats of any color including green. He could have one hat that is not green. He could have no hats. All of these statements would be true using the two sentences.
The problem with the phones is also bs. If there are no phones in the room, it makes any statement regarding the state of phones in the room false.

I'm with you, this is a fallacious exercise. They have oversimplified. Pinochio could have multiple hats of any color including green. He could have one hat that is not green. He could have no hats. All of these statements would be true using the two sentences.
The problem with the phones is also bs. If there are no phones in the room, it makes any statement regarding the state of phones in the room false.
Very logical.

This is a math problem presented as a logic problem.

Essentially, its clickbait.

Note geometry is based on logic. Ever do a geometry proof?
Naw, there are mathematical geniuses and mathematical ignoramuses. I am sorry to report I identify as the latter. I only got as far as algebra and had difficulty with that. I am functionally literate mathematically and that is about as far as it goes.

Logic is a subset of math. Also, it is labeled as a logic test/problem on the Youtube video.
Logic is fluidly defined, and can relate to math, yes.

In this instance, you have a poorly presented attempt to illustrate a rule in the closed system of math pertaining to vacuous truth.

It's a math (and communication) problem, with controversy resulting from poorly defined - and mis-defined - terms.

If you disagree with the answer, it's likely because the problem - intended to illustrate a rule in the closed system of math, not the larger/related field of logic - is poorly articulated, and the explanatory answer fails to address this.

What, like
'All my hats are green' ≠ 'All my hats are green'
?
It's a poorly explained attempt to illustrate a rule in the closed system of math pertaining to conclusions arising from certain types of dubious truths.

It's a poorly explained attempt to illustrate a rule in the closed system of math pertaining to conclusions arising from certain types of dubious truths.
So, it doesn't actually fit the definition - whatever that may be - of a maths puzzle?

Depends what you mean by "always lies".
If you say "My brother's name is John", where is the lie? Or is all of it a lie?

He didn't say he has or doesn't have a brother. So he's not lying.
Therefore when saying "all of my hats are green", doesn't mean he has hats, or that he doesn't have hats. We can't conclude anything from that at all.

All we can conclude is that whatever hats he may have, one isn't green. Nothing more.

Forum List

Back