Virginia county considers anti-noise ordinance that would end hunting and shooting

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
The problem is the target shooters. They shoot a thousand rounds for every round shot by hunters. Bunch of drunken idiots shooting at tin cans and making enough noise to wake the dead. You can hear them 5 miles away.

Fauquier County Virginia Considering Anti-Gun Noise Ordinance

July 04, 2014

Covington VA --(Ammoland.com)- Fauquier County is considering a new noise ordinance that would have a ridiculously low threshold.
The ordinance would affect target shooting and hunting, because if someone could merely hear a shot in their house, they could file a noise complaint!
The Fairfax Wildlife Club is concerned for their Friday night Turkey Shoot fund raisers and for shooting on their range at any time.

Hunting license issued by state; state trumps county. Next case.
Some state constitutions protect hunting as a right.

TEXT AMENDMENT TO CHAPTER 13.5 OF THE FAUQUIER COUNTY
CODE - A public hearing to consider a revision of Chapter 13.5 of the Fauquier
County Code pertaining to noise regulation. Among other changes to bring the Code
into compliance with Virginia law, the revision repeals the prohibition on truck
engine braking; changes the threshold for a violation from unreasonable noise to
plainly audible and discernable noise from inside a fully enclosed neighboring
dwelling or business and includes many exempt activities
; changes the prohibition
against noisy animals from habitually noisy to plainly audible animal noise for more Revised 6/23/2014
(6/25; 6/27; 7/2; 7/4) than five consecutive minutes with working dogs used for agricultural purposes
exempt; and changes the penalty from a Class 4 misdemeanor to a civil fine of $250
for the first offense and $500 for subsequent offenses

Sounds reasonable, I have nothing against hunting or target shooting but think the citizens have a right to not be subject to unreasonable noise when inside their homes. It certainly doesn't end hunting in Virginia as thread title states, unless you are claiming there are no areas in the state of Virginia that aren't near a home or business.

[

Sounds reasonable, I have nothing against hunting or target shooting but think the citizens have a right to not be subject to unreasonable noise when inside their homes. It certainly doesn't end hunting in Virginia as thread title states, unless you are claiming there are no areas in the state of Virginia that aren't near a home or business.

You know nothing about guns. You seem to think the sound from a 12 gauge is gone after a hundred yards. More like 5 miles. Guns are extremely loud.

As i said earlier, the problem is the target shooting. It just goes on all day long.

The problem is the target shooters. They shoot a thousand rounds for every round shot by hunters. Bunch of drunken idiots shooting at tin cans and making enough noise to wake the dead. You can hear them 5 miles away.

July 04, 2014

Covington VA --(Ammoland.com)- Fauquier County is considering a new noise ordinance that would have a ridiculously low threshold.
The ordinance would affect target shooting and hunting, because if someone could merely hear a shot in their house, they could file a noise complaint!
The Fairfax Wildlife Club is concerned for their Friday night Turkey Shoot fund raisers and for shooting on their range at any time.

Would Virginia even exist without hunting and shooting? :)

How about an ordinance silencing idiotic politicians who jabber too much. Not only do they create "noise" equivalent to the scratching of a chalkboard but they're creating unnecessary carbon emissions.

When I was a kid, I used to go the Ontario, CA Speedway to watch the races. At the time it was pretty far from any populated areas. However, as homes continued being built closer and closer to the track more and more people complained about the "noise." Finally, they forced the Ontario Speedway to shut down. The fans were pissed. It seemed to us that if folks didn't like the noise then they shouldn't have purchased a house near the track. So ... if Virginians don't like the sound of gun fire then they shouldn't buy homes near areas where guns are routinely fired. Just a little common sense for anyone who may lack it.

[

You know nothing about guns. You seem to think the sound from a 12 gauge is gone after a hundred yards. More like 5 miles. Guns are extremely loud.

As i said earlier, the problem is the target shooting. It just goes on all day long.

Even a .577 Nitro is not audible at 5 miles. (Well...over open water on a calm day, MAYBE.) A .577 Nitro is no louder than a handclap from the next room from 500' away. A .577 Nitro is VASTLY louder than any 12-bore.

You're stupid again.

[

Even a .577 Nitro is not audible at 5 miles. (Well...over open water on a calm day, MAYBE.) A .577 Nitro is no louder than a handclap from the next room from 500' away. A .577 Nitro is VASTLY louder than any 12-bore.

You're stupid again.
Maybe they're in the mountains.:eusa_shhh:

TEXT AMENDMENT TO CHAPTER 13.5 OF THE FAUQUIER COUNTY
CODE - A public hearing to consider a revision of Chapter 13.5 of the Fauquier
County Code pertaining to noise regulation. Among other changes to bring the Code
into compliance with Virginia law, the revision repeals the prohibition on truck
engine braking; changes the threshold for a violation from unreasonable noise to
plainly audible and discernable noise from inside a fully enclosed neighboring
dwelling or business and includes many exempt activities
; changes the prohibition
against noisy animals from habitually noisy to plainly audible animal noise for more Revised 6/23/2014
(6/25; 6/27; 7/2; 7/4) than five consecutive minutes with working dogs used for agricultural purposes
exempt; and changes the penalty from a Class 4 misdemeanor to a civil fine of $250
for the first offense and $500 for subsequent offenses

Steady as you go there, SteadyMerc! Fauquier County Virginia and the Commonwealth of Virginia are two entirely different areas. The thread title says "Virginia county...."

...and bow hunting is likely not affected by this sound ordinance.

Google Earth will draw the county lines for you. Fauquier County looks interesting from 30,000 feet. The Appalachian Trail (about 1700ft amsl) runs across the northern end of it just about parallel to the county line. It looks to have superior hunting sites spread all over the county, but especially in the north. Access to the southern end of the county (about 400ft amsl) is easy by light plane...I see at least 12 airstrips...in one county!

Makes me wanna file a flight plan!:D

How about an ordinance silencing idiotic politicians who jabber too much. Not only do they create "noise" equivalent to the scratching of a chalkboard but they're creating unnecessary carbon emissions.

When I was a kid, I used to go the Ontario, CA Speedway to watch the races. At the time it was pretty far from any populated areas. However, as homes continued being built closer and closer to the track more and more people complained about the "noise." Finally, they forced the Ontario Speedway to shut down. The fans were pissed. It seemed to us that if folks didn't like the noise then they shouldn't have purchased a house near the track. So ... if Virginians don't like the sound of gun fire then they shouldn't buy homes near areas where guns are routinely fired. Just a little common sense for anyone who may lack it.
Politicians sometimes practice a double standard. Notice they don't shut down the airports because folks who bought homes near them complain about the noise.

Trains, planes, jackhammers and other heavy construction noses, are they also going to comply?

July 04, 2014

Respectfully I disagree.

The problem is NOT target shooters shooting at tin cans! May they be blessed!

The problem is hunters who kill inoccent animals who love life as much as we all do, shame on them!

I love to hunt but I only shoot the guilty ones that are felling suicidal.

July 04, 2014

a win win for everyone

ps02370-BD.jpg

Laws are passed by the State Legislature and signed by the Governor. Ordinances don't have the force of Law. I know some of you don't believe that.

Anyone read the Virginia State Constitution lately? Or at all?

All the hunters (or anyone living in the State for that matter) have to do is challenge this in court, make them spend money and they'll drop it like a hot potato.

[

You're stupid again.

You are obviously deaf from all the shooting you do. A 12 gauge can easily be heard 5 miles away by anyone with normal hearing.

Laws are passed by the State Legislature and signed by the Governor. Ordinances don't have the force of Law. I know some of you don't believe that.

Anyone read the Virginia State Constitution lately? Or at all?

All the hunters (or anyone living in the State for that matter) have to do is challenge this in court, make them spend money and they'll drop it like a hot potato.

Does the state constitution even matter.? The federal constitution doesn't. It says "all legislative powers herein granted shall be vested in a congress of the united states" and yet we have thousands of "laws" written by the supreme court and the president and bureaucrats. Governments do what they want.

[

You're stupid again.

You are obviously deaf from all the shooting you do. A 12 gauge can easily be heard 5 miles away by anyone with normal hearing.

Dude, I could barely hear a 12-bore from a quarter mile...and the audiologist says my hearing is about 90% of normal. (Considering the amount of unmuffled engines I have been around, that greatly surprised me.)

Unless it's only little .22 rifles, I always wear earmuffs to shoot.

[

You're stupid again.

If you are trying to convince those who are meeting you for the first time that you make silly statements, you are doing a great job.

Forum List

Back