Virginia Halts Concealed Carry Reciprocity With 25 States

Sad to see Virginia go Communist/Progressive. Nuff said.
Yeah. Those bastards. Not letting illegal immigrants, mental patients, wife beaters, or felons conceal carry. For shame!

What's this country coming to when a drug dealer isn't allowed to conceal carry?

drug dealers, crazy people, and other criminals will carry guns no matter what the law says. This only keeps law abiding CC permit holders from legally carrying in VA. It will accomplish nothing.

What are the chances the Supreme Court doesn't say that everyone has the right to carry arms? I mean, if "bear arms" were the right to carry, then you'd have the right to carry arms as you see fit. Funny how the right claims the right to bear arms is the right to carry but manages to ignore this point.

If we get enough liberal judges on the court, one day we may not be able to bear arms. It's something that people should seriously consider when voting for a President.

If that were the case, it would basically outlaw guns for law abiding citizens. The criminals would be festive and celebrate. We would all be at the disadvantage of the criminal element in our society.

I've lived in countries without many guns, I felt safer.

Criminals are not festive in those countries, unless it's Christmas and they're not in prison.

Are people in those countries at a disadvantage? Maybe, but then they're not going to experience more crime, and will experience less murderers.

That all depends. In this country, if you take away guns, the criminals will still have them just like they have illegal narcotics. Unlike other countries, our prison system is not all that much of a deterrent. In fact going to prison is a badge of honor in some of these communities also known as Street Cred.

So I don't know what countries you are talking bout, their prison system, or their criminals, but just because something works in other places doesn't mean it will work here.

I understand that point. However people are making the point that if you don't have guns, then the criminals will go crazy. Will they? They're basing this on what?

If the US tries to sort out all of the problems, instead of only dealing with the problems of the rich, then maybe you'd not have that situation.

In the last few months gun sales have been at record highs, and the crime rate in most places has gone down.

Even criminals do not want to get shot.

I guess Virginia doesn't trust other states to keep guns out of the hands of killers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/23/u...oncealed-gun-permits-from-25-states.html?_r=0

Virginia will no longer recognize concealed handgun permits issued by 25 other states, its attorney general announced Tuesday, a stark change in policy for a state known for its expansive gun rights.

The announcement by Attorney General Mark R. Herring, a Democrat, means that permit-holding residents of the 25 states, which span the country from Alaska to Florida, will no longer be able to carry concealed weapons in Virginia, beginning Feb. 1. Virginia is revoking its so-called reciprocity agreements with those states.

Mr. Herring made the decision, his office said in a statement, after “months of research and evaluation,” including an audit of 30 states whose concealed handgun permits have been considered valid in Virginia. All but five of those states, he said, grant permits to people who would be barred from carrying concealed weapons in Virginia.

Good.

If the laws for concealed weapons are different from Virginia, Virginia has the right to enforce their laws in their state.

Which means that those in 25 other states can't conceal a weapon in Virginia.

The state will be safer because of it.

Last edited:
He probably did it with executive orders. Why does the left do everything they can to avoid the democratic process?

If we get enough liberal judges on the court, one day we may not be able to bear arms. It's something that people should seriously consider when voting for a President.

If that were the case, it would basically outlaw guns for law abiding citizens. The criminals would be festive and celebrate. We would all be at the disadvantage of the criminal element in our society.

Criminals are not festive in those countries, unless it's Christmas and they're not in prison.

Are people in those countries at a disadvantage? Maybe, but then they're not going to experience more crime, and will experience less murderers.

That all depends. In this country, if you take away guns, the criminals will still have them just like they have illegal narcotics. Unlike other countries, our prison system is not all that much of a deterrent. In fact going to prison is a badge of honor in some of these communities also known as Street Cred.

So I don't know what countries you are talking bout, their prison system, or their criminals, but just because something works in other places doesn't mean it will work here.

I understand that point. However people are making the point that if you don't have guns, then the criminals will go crazy. Will they? They're basing this on what?

If the US tries to sort out all of the problems, instead of only dealing with the problems of the rich, then maybe you'd not have that situation.

We are basing it on several things: First of all is our mass shootings which normally take place in gun free environments. People who want to commit mass murder often avoid places where people can protect themselves.

Secondly is the fact that even if you don't carry or own a firearm, a criminal doesn't know that. They take precautions to make sure residents are not home when they go to burglarize the place. Years ago when people normally didn't have a firearm in the house, burglaries many times were conducted while people were home.

Gun violence and violence in general has been on the decline since the mid 90's. That's about the time more and more states adopted better gun laws for citizens such as CCW's and Castle Doctrine laws. Can I prove that's what reduced those crimes? No I can't, but it has to be more than just coincidence. Not much else has changed since then.

I'll give up my gun when somebody can show me how government can disarm the criminals first. When that can be accomplished, then we could talk about it. Until that time, I'm arming myself when I feel necessary.

You say mass shootings normally take place in gun free environments. Is this because certain places which are more likely to be shot up are more likely to feel the effects of guns and see them as negative and therefore ban them, or do these crimes happen because there are no guns there?

Is there any evidence at all that the implementation of gun free zones has made things worse? Or are you just pulling assumptions out of a hat?

Secondly, in other countries, do burglaries happen when people are at home or not?

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/vdhb.pdf

In the US 27% of burglaries take place with the victims at home.

I don't have time to find other information. But is there a difference in the UK or other first world countries? Or are you just assuming?

In Countries that ban guns…like Britain….they have more robberies of homes when people are home…and more abuse of those people.

And the mass shooters who have left notes show that gun free zones are chosen over places that have people with guns.

We are basing it on several things: First of all is our mass shootings which normally take place in gun free environments. People who want to commit mass murder often avoid places where people can protect themselves.

Secondly is the fact that even if you don't carry or own a firearm, a criminal doesn't know that. They take precautions to make sure residents are not home when they go to burglarize the place. Years ago when people normally didn't have a firearm in the house, burglaries many times were conducted while people were home.

Gun violence and violence in general has been on the decline since the mid 90's. That's about the time more and more states adopted better gun laws for citizens such as CCW's and Castle Doctrine laws. Can I prove that's what reduced those crimes? No I can't, but it has to be more than just coincidence. Not much else has changed since then.

I'll give up my gun when somebody can show me how government can disarm the criminals first. When that can be accomplished, then we could talk about it. Until that time, I'm arming myself when I feel necessary.

You say mass shootings normally take place in gun free environments. Is this because certain places which are more likely to be shot up are more likely to feel the effects of guns and see them as negative and therefore ban them, or do these crimes happen because there are no guns there?

Is there any evidence at all that the implementation of gun free zones has made things worse? Or are you just pulling assumptions out of a hat?

Secondly, in other countries, do burglaries happen when people are at home or not?

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/vdhb.pdf

In the US 27% of burglaries take place with the victims at home.

I don't have time to find other information. But is there a difference in the UK or other first world countries? Or are you just assuming?

Hot Burglaries in Britain…..

An Englishman's home is his dungeon

But the trouble is that this kind of burglary - the kind most likely to go "wrong" - is now the norm in Britain. In America, it's called a "hot" burglary - a burglary that takes place when the homeowners are present - or a "home invasion", which is a much more accurate term. Just over 10 per cent of US burglaries are "hot" burglaries, and in my part of the world it's statistically insignificant: there is virtually zero chance of a New Hampshire home being broken into while the family are present.

But in England and Wales it's more than 50 per cent and climbing. Which is hardly surprising given the police's petty, well-publicised pursuit of those citizens who have the impertinence to resist criminals.

These days, even as he or she is being clobbered, the more thoughtful British subject is usually keeping an eye (the one that hasn't been poked out) on potential liability. Four years ago, Shirley Best, proprietor of the Rolander Fashion emporium, whose clients include Zara Phillips, was ironing some clothes when the proverbial two youths showed up. They pressed the hot iron into her flesh, burning her badly, and then stole her watch. "I was frightened to defend myself," said Miss Best. "I thought if I did anything I would be arrested." There speaks the modern British crime victim.

I guess Virginia doesn't trust other states to keep guns out of the hands of killers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/23/u...oncealed-gun-permits-from-25-states.html?_r=0

Virginia will no longer recognize concealed handgun permits issued by 25 other states, its attorney general announced Tuesday, a stark change in policy for a state known for its expansive gun rights.

The announcement by Attorney General Mark R. Herring, a Democrat, means that permit-holding residents of the 25 states, which span the country from Alaska to Florida, will no longer be able to carry concealed weapons in Virginia, beginning Feb. 1. Virginia is revoking its so-called reciprocity agreements with those states.

Mr. Herring made the decision, his office said in a statement, after “months of research and evaluation,” including an audit of 30 states whose concealed handgun permits have been considered valid in Virginia. All but five of those states, he said, grant permits to people who would be barred from carrying concealed weapons in Virginia.

Good.

If the laws for concealed weapons are different from Virginia, Virginia has the right to enforce their laws in their state.

So your driver's license is not valid if the rules for it are different from the ones in your State? What about marriage licenses?

Yeah. Those bastards. Not letting illegal immigrants, mental patients, wife beaters, or felons conceal carry. For shame!

What's this country coming to when a drug dealer isn't allowed to conceal carry?
So you switched from law abiding conceal and carry to drug dealers and felons???? I saw what you did there.
Yes. All the good guys must be denied so as to protect us from the bad guys, because the government can't tell the difference. Too many people have died. It's too much risk.

Sorry, but i won't support your 'throw the baby out with the bathwater' philosophy. You don't take everyone's rights away because a few choose to do bad. That's not what our country is about.

If you don't like fireams, don't own any. Or if you don't wanna live in a country where they're a legal right, just relocate to a country where they're banned. That's your all. Good luck and safe travels.

Good.

How will the state be safer with fewer law abiding people carrying guns?

So you want fugitives from justice to be armed? Why am I not surprised?

Obviously, no one is saying that. And you know that. Also, what this Communist did, may be illegal. He is not a Legislator. This may not be implemented. He may have overstepped and abused his power. It will be challenged.

So you switched from law abiding conceal and carry to drug dealers and felons???? I saw what you did there.
Yes. All the good guys must be punished so as to protect us from the bad guys, because the government can't tell the difference. Too many people have died.
The government did do the background check on my conceal and carry.
Mine, too. They did a background check on a lot of people who went on to commit murder, too.

We need a total and complete shutdown of guns entering Virginia until our country's representatives can figure out what is going on.

There is an extraordinary influx of hatred & danger coming into Virginia. We must be vigilant!

They did a total check on CCW holders who went on to commit murder? Any link to that by any chance? I would love to see the percentage of CCW holders (out of all of us) that actually committed a crime with their firearm.

And while nothing is guaranteed, most states do an extensive background check including fingerprinting such as what we do here in my state. We are already properly and extensively vetted.

There are only two groups of people that could celebrate this law: liberals and criminals. How ironic.

Spot On. Communists/Progressives don't know anything about firearms or the law.
And this Communist numbnuts in Virginia may have overstepped and abused his power. He is not a Legislator. It will be challenged.

Be VERY specific and show us where any of the 25 States allow anyone on that list to conceal carry. More specifically most of those qualifications make it a federal crime to carry or own a firearm.

Nice try, but don't hold your breath waiting for an honest logical response.

This should be challenged. The Virginia Legislature will have to get involved. This Attorney General may have overstepped and abused his power. Hopefully folks in Virginia will challenge it.

Obviously, no one is saying that. And you know that. Also, what this Communist did, may be illegal. He is not a Legislator. This may not be implemented. He may have overstepped and abused his power. It will be challenged.

And you may shit and then fall back in it. That was one of the reasons that state uses to deny a license., but other states don't. Why should they allow people from other states that don't meet their standards?

And you may shit and then fall back in it. That was one of the reasons that state uses to deny a license., but other states don't. Why should they allow people from other states that don't meet their standards?

The Virginia Legislature will have to get involved. And it will likely be challenged in court as well. This man may have overstepped.

The Virginia Legislature will have to get involved. And it will likely be challenged in court as well. This man may have overstepped.

Could be, but I doubt it. I thought you were for states rights.

Could be, but I doubt it. I thought you were for states rights.

The People of Virginia haven't spoken. The Legislature will have to intervene. This man may have abused his power.

Forum List

Back