Voter wearing 2nd amendment T-shirt thrown out of polling place

my immediate response to the OP was "it likely was deemed as campaigning within a polling zone"...

Why does shit like this even make the papers?

:lol:

right after your partisan quip about id's.......

cmon shhhuun

:eusa_angel:

Have your fun.....

And it is not a partisan quip.

I truly am disheartened by the fact that ID is not a requirement for the privilege to vote in the US.

And it has nothing to do with voter fraud. I have yet to see any statistic that says it exists.

It has to do with pride. Voting is a privilege and I believe we should all be proud to prove our citizenship when it comes to voting.

Voting is a right. Driving is a privilege.

Law Suit coming....I remember being harassed for wearing a shirt with a politician on it few years ago...my size and demeanor made them back off after calmly explaining to the assholes I wasn't taking it off or turning it inside out.

my immediate response to the OP was "it likely was deemed as campaigning within a polling zone"...

Why does shit like this even make the papers?

cmon shhhuun

Have your fun.....

I truly am disheartened by the fact that ID is not a requirement for the privilege to vote in the US.

And it has nothing to do with voter fraud. I have yet to see any statistic that says it exists.

It has to do with pride. Voting is a privilege and I believe we should all be proud to prove our citizenship when it comes to voting.

I have no problem with requiring an ID as long as they are free and easily obtained. I think they should be required for SNAP purchases as well - maybe that would cut down on fraud and trafficking benefits.

I have no problem with helping those who need a hand. But I think the idea of showering a community with money in the hopes that enough of it will eventually find its way into the right hands is irresponsible. We just can't afford that anymore. imho.

cmon shhhuun

Have your fun.....

we see it differently.

The system for voting in the US is a privilege. We all have the right, yes. But it is a privilege to live here and have the RIGHT to vote.

Law Suit coming....I remember being harassed for wearing a shirt with a politician on it few years ago...my size and demeanor made them back off after calmly explaining to the assholes I wasn't taking it off or turning it inside out.

Catch up dude - the story has already been debunked.

They didn't want to pick on a little pussy dude, huh?

Have your fun.....

we see it differently.

The system for voting in the US is a privilege. We all have the right, yes. But it is a privilege to live here and have the RIGHT to vote.

Nice way to put it.

cmon shhhuun

Have your fun.....

I have no problem with requiring an ID as long as they are free and easily obtained. I think they should be required for SNAP purchases as well - maybe that would cut down on fraud and trafficking benefits.

I have no problem with helping those who need a hand. But I think the idea of showering a community with money in the hopes that enough of it will eventually find its way into the right hands is irresponsible. We just can't afford that anymore. imho.

I agree.
I have no issue with ID's being offered for free....and likewise, travel to polling places should be offered for free as well. I was instrumental in setting up local car pools for those that wanted to vote but couldn't get to a polling place in the wake of Sandy.....and will be doing the same this coming November.

Have your fun.....

I agree.
I have no issue with ID's being offered for free....and likewise, travel to polling places should be offered for free as well. I was instrumental in setting up local car pools for those that wanted to vote but couldn't get to a polling place in the wake of Sandy.....and will be doing the same this coming November.

:clap2::clap2:

Actually, it may have been deemed as campaigning...
No issues were on the ballot concering gun ownership, or gun control, or 2nd amendment in any way.

You obviously did not read your own link:

The Republican Primary ballot includes a proposition asking for a yes or no vote on expanded support for the 2nd Amendment and the places where a concealed weapon can be legally carried. Under the Texas Election Code rule the proposition is a “measure” and Driskill’s pro-2nd Amendment shirt considered “electioneering” or campaigning for his point of view and is treated the same as those yard signs kept 100 feet from the voting entrance at the courthouse.

He was being stopped by workers enforcing Texas Election Code section 85.036. The rule states that “during the time an early voting polling place is open for the conduct of early voting, a person may not electioneer for or against any candidate, measure, or political party in or within 100 feet of an outside door through which a voter may enter the building or structure in which the early voting polling place is located.”

Actually some dumb assed poll worker considered it electioneering, but his shirt didn't meet the definition of electioneering in the article. I think I'll wear my Oath Keepers Tshirt next week when I vote and see what happens.

Is there anything the gun-haters AREN'T afraid of???

------------------------------------

Voter wearing pro-gun shirt turned away | kvue.com Austin

Voter wearing pro-gun shirt turned away

by Kevin Reece / KHOU 11 News

Posted on February 21, 2014 at 11:34 AM
Updated today at 11:34 AM

HEMPSTEAD, Texas -- Chris Driskill is a staunch supporter of the 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. But this week he found out that his pro-gun support cannot be proudly proclaimed on his clothing if he wants to cast a ballot at the Waller County Courthouse or any other Texas voting location.

Driskill, employed as a private security guard in Houston, went to the Waller County Courthouse in Hempstead on Tuesday to cast his early-voting ballot in the Republican Primary. He was wearing a black T-shirt with a logo on the front and back that says “2nd Amendment – America’s Original Homeland Security.” The words circle a skull and crossbones where the “bones” are short-barrel pistol grip shotguns.

"I heard a gentleman's voice over my shoulder say ‘he can't vote with that shirt on. You'll have to either turn it inside out our you'll have to leave,’” Driskill said of the polling place encounter.

Driskill says he thought maybe the polling place staff was either anti-gun, liberal, or over-reacting.

But he could if it said, 'Fuck the draft.'

Cohen v. California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No issues were on the ballot concering gun ownership, or gun control, or 2nd amendment in any way.

He was being stopped by workers enforcing Texas Election Code section 85.036. The rule states that “during the time an early voting polling place is open for the conduct of early voting, a person may not electioneer for or against any candidate, measure, or political party in or within 100 feet of an outside door through which a voter may enter the building or structure in which the early voting polling place is located.”

Actually some dumb assed poll worker considered it electioneering, but his shirt didn't meet the definition of electioneering in the article. I think I'll wear my Oath Keepers Tshirt next week when I vote and see what happens.

the "dumb assed" poll worker was likely a volunteer....and the guy wearing the shirt tried to find the fine line of electioneering or "not electioneering"....and I would expect a volunteer to NOT have to know exactly where that fine line is.

We, the people should appreciate those volunteers and not put them in uncomfortable situations.

Voting is important. Not a freaking game.....albeit, many see it as a competition....not an election.

Last edited:

the "dumb assed" poll worker was likely a volunteer....and the guy wearing the shirt tried to find the fine line of electioneering or "not electioneering"....and I would expect a volunteer to NOT have to know exactly where that fine line is.

We, the people should appreciate those volunteers and not put them in uncomfortable situations.

Voting is important. Not a freaking game.....albeit, many see it as a competition....not an election.

You're making assumptions about the guys motivations that are not in the article or are you psychic and read his mind? I'd say a problem with volunteer training was identified and it should be addressed, along with an apology for the guy who did nothing wrong.

• Thanks
Reactions: mal
Texas state law against 'electioneering' (relevant part):

Q. What illegal activities should a watcher look for?

2. Electioneering and loitering within 100 feet of the entrance of the building in which a
polling place is located. [Sec. 61.003]. Examples of electioneering include, but are not
limited to the following:

• wearing or exhibiting a badge, insignia, emblem, or other similar communicative
device item relating to a candidate, measure or political party.
[Sec. 61.010].

http://www.texaspollworkertraining.com/resources/TXPollwatcherGuide.pdf

You're making assumptions about the guys motivations that are not in the article or are you psychic and read his mind? I'd say a problem with volunteer training was identified and it should be addressed, along with an apology for the guy who did nothing wrong.

So, it's ok to were a pro-gun t-shirt to a polling place where a gun bill is being voted on?

Forum List

Back