Voter wearing 2nd amendment T-shirt thrown out of polling place

Is there anything the gun-haters AREN'T afraid of???

------------------------------------

Voter wearing pro-gun shirt turned away | kvue.com Austin

Voter wearing pro-gun shirt turned away

by Kevin Reece / KHOU 11 News

Posted on February 21, 2014 at 11:34 AM
Updated today at 11:34 AM

HEMPSTEAD, Texas -- Chris Driskill is a staunch supporter of the 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. But this week he found out that his pro-gun support cannot be proudly proclaimed on his clothing if he wants to cast a ballot at the Waller County Courthouse or any other Texas voting location.

Driskill, employed as a private security guard in Houston, went to the Waller County Courthouse in Hempstead on Tuesday to cast his early-voting ballot in the Republican Primary. He was wearing a black T-shirt with a logo on the front and back that says “2nd Amendment – America’s Original Homeland Security.” The words circle a skull and crossbones where the “bones” are short-barrel pistol grip shotguns.

"I heard a gentleman's voice over my shoulder say ‘he can't vote with that shirt on. You'll have to either turn it inside out our you'll have to leave,’” Driskill said of the polling place encounter.

Driskill says he thought maybe the polling place staff was either anti-gun, liberal, or over-reacting.
Great T-shirt, and those who threw him out for wearing this T-shirt, should be hanged.

We'll see how the left handles it when a pro-Liberal is refused the right to cast a ballot because of a hat or t-shirt.

the "dumb assed" poll worker was likely a volunteer....and the guy wearing the shirt tried to find the fine line of electioneering or "not electioneering"....and I would expect a volunteer to NOT have to know exactly where that fine line is.

We, the people should appreciate those volunteers and not put them in uncomfortable situations.

Voting is important. Not a freaking game.....albeit, many see it as a competition....not an election.

You're making assumptions about the guys motivations that are not in the article or are you psychic and read his mind? I'd say a problem with volunteer training was identified and it should be addressed, along with an apology for the guy who did nothing wrong.

So, it's ok to were a pro-gun t-shirt to a polling place where a gun bill is being voted on?

No a gun bill on the ballot, and it was a pro second amendment shirt, not pro gun. The Constitution is not a political issue, it does not represent a party or a candidate or an issue as required in the law. Care to try again?

You obviously did not read your own link:

Actually some dumb assed poll worker considered it electioneering, but his shirt didn't meet the definition of electioneering in the article. I think I'll wear my Oath Keepers Tshirt next week when I vote and see what happens.

the "dumb assed" poll worker was likely a volunteer....and the guy wearing the shirt tried to find the fine line of electioneering or "not electioneering"....and I would expect a volunteer to NOT have to know exactly where that fine line is.

We, the people should appreciate those volunteers and not put them in uncomfortable situations.

Voting is important. Not a freaking game.....albeit, many see it as a competition....not an election.

Unless gun control was on the ballot, I don't think he crossed the line.

You obviously did not read your own link:

Actually some dumb assed poll worker considered it electioneering, but his shirt didn't meet the definition of electioneering in the article. I think I'll wear my Oath Keepers Tshirt next week when I vote and see what happens.

Unless gun control was on the ballot, I don't think he crossed the line. To my knowledge the Second Amendment is not up for change. Anywhere.

From the link in the OP, and also pointed out on the first page of the thread:

He was being stopped by workers enforcing Texas Election Code section 85.036. The rule states that “during the time an early voting polling place is open for the conduct of early voting, a person may not electioneer for or against any candidate, measure, or political party in or within 100 feet of an outside door through which a voter may enter the building or structure in which the early voting polling place is located.”

The offense is considered a Class C misdemeanor. Election signs surround voting locations, but they are always kept at least that 100 foot distance from the door voters enter.

The Republican Primary ballot includes a proposition asking for a yes or no vote on expanded support for the 2nd Amendment and the places where a concealed weapon can be legally carried. Under the Texas Election Code rule the proposition is a “measure” and Driskill’s pro-2nd Amendment shirt considered “electioneering” or campaigning for his point of view and is treated the same as those yard signs kept 100 feet from the voting entrance at the courthouse.

From the link in the OP:

He was being stopped by workers enforcing Texas Election Code section 85.036. The rule states that “during the time an early voting polling place is open for the conduct of early voting, a person may not electioneer for or against any candidate, measure, or political party in or within 100 feet of an outside door through which a voter may enter the building or structure in which the early voting polling place is located.”

The offense is considered a Class C misdemeanor. Election signs surround voting locations, but they are always kept at least that 100 foot distance from the door voters enter.

The Republican Primary ballot includes a proposition asking for a yes or no vote on expanded support for the 2nd Amendment and the places where a concealed weapon can be legally carried. Under the Texas Election Code rule the proposition is a “measure” and Driskill’s pro-2nd Amendment shirt considered “electioneering” or campaigning for his point of view and is treated the same as those yard signs kept 100 feet from the voting entrance at the courthouse.

So now the Second Amendment is a 'party?' I think not.

From the link in the OP:

So now the Second Amendment is a 'party?' I think not.

It's explained very clearly in the article.

Gee...I guess he better bring it up with REPUBLICAN GOVERNOR RICK PERRY.

That is basically a poll to see what republican voters think, it's not even on the dem ballot. Texas doesn't do referendum.

That is basically a poll to see what republican voters think, it's not even on the dem ballot. Texas doesn't do referendum.

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what it is - but that doesn't change the fact that according to Texas election law, it's considered a "measure".

Truly amazing that liberals think that supporting the US Constitution is electioneering.

Must be some of the same crowd that believe having a pocket constitution is considered possession of seditious literature.

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what it is - but that doesn't change the fact that according to Texas election law, it's considered a "measure".

I still think I'll wear my Oath Keepers shirt for the hell of it, my little town doesn't get much excitement. I didn't even know that was on the ballot until I pulled up a sample a little bit ago, no one is advertising it.

[MENTION=3254]Little-Acorn[/MENTION]
Is there anything the gun-haters AREN'T afraid of???

------------------------------------

Voter wearing pro-gun shirt turned away | kvue.com Austin

Voter wearing pro-gun shirt turned away

by Kevin Reece / KHOU 11 News

Posted on February 21, 2014 at 11:34 AM
Updated today at 11:34 AM

HEMPSTEAD, Texas -- Chris Driskill is a staunch supporter of the 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. But this week he found out that his pro-gun support cannot be proudly proclaimed on his clothing if he wants to cast a ballot at the Waller County Courthouse or any other Texas voting location.

Driskill, employed as a private security guard in Houston, went to the Waller County Courthouse in Hempstead on Tuesday to cast his early-voting ballot in the Republican Primary. He was wearing a black T-shirt with a logo on the front and back that says “2nd Amendment – America’s Original Homeland Security.” The words circle a skull and crossbones where the “bones” are short-barrel pistol grip shotguns.

"I heard a gentleman's voice over my shoulder say ‘he can't vote with that shirt on. You'll have to either turn it inside out our you'll have to leave,’” Driskill said of the polling place encounter.

Driskill says he thought maybe the polling place staff was either anti-gun, liberal, or over-reacting.

Most informed citizen voters (unlike you and some dopes) know you cannot politic at a polling place. It is why there are also rules against holding signs or passing out literature within a certain distance of a polling place,

Americans have the right to vote without asshole politiking in their face at a polling site

Jesus, take a basic civics class willya wilma?:cuckoo:

Truly amazing that liberals think that supporting the US Constitution is electioneering.

Must be some of the same crowd that believe having a pocket constitution is considered possession of seditious literature.

It's Texas law, mutant.

Forum List

Back