Voters Oppose Removing Confederate Monuments

no, this is a popular vote position.

Like Hillary winning the popular vote for president?
Doncha love it. With deplorables, sometimes we are a democracy, other times a republic.

YUP. When it helps them, they want the representation of an electoral college to vote, when the law does that to take down a statue, they suddenly want to throw away the law, and change it to be by popular vote

Doncha love it. With deplorables, sometimes we are a democracy, other times a republic.

YUP. When it helps them, they want the representation of an electoral college to vote, when the law does that to take down a statue, they suddenly want to throw away the law, and change it to be by popular vote
funny, you should read the constitution and learn how the country is run.

yep, funny how that works, but electoral college is the way we elect a president. the more votes per state wins an election. even if it's five hundred votes. read about it.

Agree 1000% with you. We are a democracy. Doesn't matter which way a popular vote would go on the statues, the more city council members vote for it, that's what matters.

Both situations show the US is NOT a Republic.

Nope... We've always been a democracy. But looks like some like the OP here are calling for a Republic.
Sorry, but we have never been a democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic. Our Founding fathers did not trust the people cuz they knew we were imbeciles and designed a system with that in mind.

We in California have some democracy with the initiative & propositions.

Sorry, but we have never been a democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic. Our Founding fathers did not trust the people cuz they knew we were imbeciles and designed a system with that in mind.

Well you could call it a representative democracy or a Federal Republic would be really close. Leaning on both of them.

They also like to yell states rights until they love federalism

yep, funny how that works, but electoral college is the way we elect a president. the more votes per state wins an election. even if it's five hundred votes. read about it.

Agree 1000% with you. We are a democracy. Doesn't matter which way a popular vote would go on the statues, the more city council members vote for it, that's what matters.

it was set up purposely to be the way it is by the framers. it is what makes this country unlike any other.

City council is an example of republicanism. The people do not decide, their elected representatives do.

I wish the federal government to get out of the states business and especially health care.

But everybody loves to do that.

"Federalism, federalism, federalism!"
"The Supreme court ruled WHAT!"
"States rights! States Rights!"

Does the same both ways. The ones screaming states rights vs. Obama's executive orders and Democratic controlled Federal government 8 years ago flipped now that they are in power and vice versa.

A number of snowflakes in this forum have said that the voters should decide whether Confederate moderates should be taken down. It appears the voters want them left alone. ANTIFA and BLM are a small fringe, and they do not represent the will of the majority. Does anyone believe the left would desist in their attacks on these monuments if a referendum were held and the voters decided to all them to stay?

Voters Oppose Removing Confederate Monuments - Rasmussen Reports™

Four Confederate monuments were removed from New Orleans earlier this month following complaints that they celebrate racism, and now the city of Baltimore has plans to follow suit. But most voters oppose taking away these remnants of the past even if they are unpopular with some.

While proposals have been made to get rid of monuments such as the Jefferson Memorial and the carving on Stone Mountain in Georgia because they honor men who practiced or defended slavery, just 19% of Likely U.S. Voters think the United States should erase symbols of its past history that are out of line with current sentiments. A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 69% oppose erasing these historical symbols. Twelve percent (12%) are undecided.
How bout we let the Charlottesville city council and citizens figure this out for themselves. You know ... states rights.

I wish the federal government to get out of the states business and especially health care.

I'm on the fence on that one. I mean we've seen that some form of universal gov't sponsored healthcare is here to stay. A Republican president and both houses of congress can't even remove it.

And I mean no offense with this, but the South would be F*cked if we went to state only supported healthcare as they just don't have the money in their budgets. The current system isn't what I want either, but I don't like any of the other options I've seen either.

Part of me says just let the gov't give the tax money collected for healthcare to the states, see what they do, and in 5 years pick the most successful one after. But ones would just absolutely be awful I'm sure and that means lives lost.

Well you could call it a representative democracy or a Federal Republic would be really close. Leaning on both of them.
Agreed. A republic is a form of democracy that works best with large populations.

it was set up purposely to be the way it is by the framers. it is what makes this country unlike any other.
We have exactly the same form of government as did the former USSR

The difference was who could vote.

Good point! We in California are tired of carrying the red state slackers.

Get a job

... In this enlightened age, there are few I believe, but what will acknowledge, that slavery as an institution, is a moral & political evil in any Country. It is useless to expatiate on its disadvantages. I think it however a greater evil to the white man than to the black race, & while my feelings are strongly enlisted in behalf of the latter, my sympathies are more strong for the former. The blacks are immeasurably better off here than in Africa, morally, socially & physically. The painful discipline they are undergoing, is necessary for their instruction as a race, & I hope will prepare & lead them to better things. How long their subjugation may be necessary is known & ordered by a wise Merciful Providence.

— Robert E. Lee, to Mary Anna Lee, December 27, 1856

Forum List

Back