WA bans text-driving. Also eat-driving and smoke-driving and read-driving

The bad news is the penalties are not that great - just a fine of around $200. These crimes should be treated like DUI.

What’s more dangerous than a drunk driver? You, on your phone, says governor

From the steps of the Capitol Monday, Gov. Jay Inslee had a warning for all the drivers trying to sneak in one last text.

“When you are driving while you are on a cellphone, you are more dangerous to yourself and everyone else on the road than a drunk driver with a .08 blood alcohol (level),” Inslee told the crowd.

State officials are working to get the word out about Washington’s Driving Under the Influence of Electronics Act, which goes into effect Sunday and bans the use of handheld devices while driving, even when stopped in traffic.

Fines start at $136 and can go up to $234; violations will be reported to insurance companies, meaning violators could see their rates increase.

Other distractions, such as grooming, smoking, eating or reading, could result in a $99 ticket if you are pulled over for another offense.

Thank God, we can still unfold, study and refold a AAA road map while driving.

Thank God, we can still unfold, study and refold a AAA road map while driving.

Can't you read? That would be reading while driving and a crime in WA. Only psychopaths do such things. THINK

Even radios should be banned in cars. You're driving a 3000 pound vehicle at 60 mph and playing with an electronic toy should be out of the question.

They should ban people in cars. It's far too dangerous.

Can't you read? That would be reading while driving and a crime in WA. Only psychopaths do such things. THINK

Obviously, sarcasm flies right over your head.

HAHAHA. You libs are hhilarious. Every time we expose one of your stupid comments, you then claim you were just joking.

Go to hhhell, HAHAHA. you are hhilarious.

It was pretty obvious to me that it was sarcastic humor. In fact I chuckled when I read it. Sometime you get it and sometimes you don't. THINK!

The bad news is the penalties are not that great - just a fine of around $200. These crimes should be treated like DUI.

From the steps of the Capitol Monday, Gov. Jay Inslee had a warning for all the drivers trying to sneak in one last text.

“When you are driving while you are on a cellphone, you are more dangerous to yourself and everyone else on the road than a drunk driver with a .08 blood alcohol (level),” Inslee told the crowd.

State officials are working to get the word out about Washington’s Driving Under the Influence of Electronics Act, which goes into effect Sunday and bans the use of handheld devices while driving, even when stopped in traffic.

Fines start at $136 and can go up to $234; violations will be reported to insurance companies, meaning violators could see their rates increase.

Other distractions, such as grooming, smoking, eating or reading, could result in a $99 ticket if you are pulled over for another offense.
While I agree that it is intrusive, I can't tell you how many times I have heard that a person got killed or suffered permanent brain damage as a result of an accident when a text'ing driver (usually a teenager) was involved. Sad but true.

How about driving while humping or getting a Monica? If that gets banned I'll be really bummed out.

What they need to ban are underage drivers.

Sorry kids, but sixteen years old is way too young to drive a car in traffic.

Problem is too many adults drive like a teenager when they are texting or talking on their cells...

How many Nurses or healthcare workers I have seen driving with their cell planted to their ear...

While I agree that it is intrusive, I can't tell you how many times I have heard that a person got killed or suffered permanent brain damage as a result of an accident when a text'ing driver (usually a teenager) was involved. Sad but true.

Intrusive??? Are laws against drunk driving or speeding also intrusive.??? The fundamental reason for govt is to stop people from injuring others. You libertarians are idiots who think you should be allowed to do anything and the govt should only step in AFTER you kill or maim someone. THINK

Intrusive??? Are laws against drunk driving or speeding also intrusive.??? The fundamental reason for govt is to stop people from injuring others. You libertarians are idiots who think you should be allowed to do anything and the govt should only step in AFTER you kill or maim someone. THINK
Did you not read my post, I am in agreement with it, although I don't think it can be enforced properly, and the technology is moving too fast. Some cars with "heads up display" allow you to read texts and verbally send texts while looking at it on the bottom of your car's windshield. Other cars have the new "apple car play" which basically transfers your phone into the LCD display of the car, and allow you to manipulate it by either toggle switch or touching the screen.

Did you not read my post, I am in agreement with it, although I don't think it can be enforced properly, and the technology is moving too fast. Some cars with "heads up display" allow you to read texts and verbally send texts while looking at it on the bottom of your car's windshield. Other cars have the new "apple car play" which basically transfers your phone into the LCD display of the car, and allow you to manipulate it by either toggle switch or touching the screen.

All internet access inside a moving vehicle should be banned and yes that applies to cops and truckers too. In fact. radios should be banned inside vehicles . You're supposed to be driving. THINK

So we should outlaw any activity that might injure others.
Are you fucking nuts!

All internet access inside a moving vehicle should be banned and yes that applies to cops and truckers too. In fact. radios should be banned inside vehicles . You're supposed to be driving. THINK
Cops can't do their jobs without radios and laptops and radars and ladars and license plate scanners.
Neither can a lot of other professions.
Lets outlaw bars because they lead to driving home drunk. What is the purpose of going to a bar except to get drunk. Require them to host hotels too so the drunks can sleep it off or close their doors and make it illegal for them to make people drunk.

So we should outlaw any activity that might injure others.
Are you fucking nuts!

No one said that, you nitwit. It depends on how big a threat the activity is to others. Text-driving certainly qualifies as a big threat. Talking to a passenger is slightly distracting and thus a threat also to others, but it's pretty small. THINK, hater.

Forum List

Back