Walmart Doing Away With Cashiers

However by and large it is happening now as a result of the hike in the minimum wage... low skilled labor is being phased out in favor of self checkout in grocery stores and robotic replacement in fast food chains.... You say it happened to your Walmart years ago eh? Funny that doesn't jive with conversation I had with the Walmart manager here in Massachusetts. According to him the entire chain is just now converting.
Oh and the one here in my area still has a few cashiers on for people who don't want to use the self checkout. But there's no question that at one point a line of 15 working cashiers has been reduced down to two.
I, and others in this thread have said that it happened years ago. There has been only one manned cashier at my Walmart for at least 4 years - the checkout with the tobacco and lighters.

The reason I like the real cashiers is that I like to see people gainfully employed.
When I see the kiosks, I always think to myself that someone either lost a job, or
lost an opportunity to a job.
I guess that would come from being older.
Tends to.

It is also a rather skewed way of looking at that kiosk. That loss of a worker also represents gains in productivity - the lifeblood of any capitalist consumer economy.

It is exactly the same as using heavy machines to sow wheat. You could employ many more workers to plant it manually but the loss in productivity leads to massive costs that are reflected in the end product and, therefore, loss of overall wealth. Increasing productivity increases the wealth of everyone as you are producing more end product for less cost and more wealth means MORE employment, not less.

Of course, the detractors here want to pretend that the cost of that labor is not part of the equation but that is rather moronic. Obviously the cost of labor is going to make automated systems that much more likely to be installed (and has a negative impact on productivity overall) but the existence and use of automation is, in the end, a massive bonus for the economy overall.

That kiosk is an INCREAE in economic wealth, not a decrease. That will be reflected in other areas of the economy. It sucks a LOT for the worker that was there but it benefits everyone. The real question is how you phase those productivity increases in so that the discord created in specific labor markets is not overly destructive or where the breaking point is, if there is a breaking point. It has been an area of debate for a hundred years, is there a point where there simply will be no jobs for people? We are not there yet.

So Walmart is replacing cashier's. This is of zero concern since those jobs are only for kids as most minimum wage jobs are.

Tends to.

It is also a rather skewed way of looking at that kiosk. That loss of a worker also represents gains in productivity - the lifeblood of any capitalist consumer economy.

It is exactly the same as using heavy machines to sow wheat. You could employ many more workers to plant it manually but the loss in productivity leads to massive costs that are reflected in the end product and, therefore, loss of overall wealth. Increasing productivity increases the wealth of everyone as you are producing more end product for less cost and more wealth means MORE employment, not less.

Of course, the detractors here want to pretend that the cost of that labor is not part of the equation but that is rather moronic. Obviously the cost of labor is going to make automated systems that much more likely to be installed (and has a negative impact on productivity overall) but the existence and use of automation is, in the end, a massive bonus for the economy overall.

That kiosk is an INCREAE in economic wealth, not a decrease. That will be reflected in other areas of the economy. It sucks a LOT for the worker that was there but it benefits everyone. The real question is how you phase those productivity increases in so that the discord created in specific labor markets is not overly destructive or where the breaking point is, if there is a breaking point. It has been an area of debate for a hundred years, is there a point where there simply will be no jobs for people? We are not there yet.
If the scenario that you describe was what is happening at Walmart, I would agree. However, what I have witnessed at our Walmart does not follow your description. In our store, there are more employees tending to customers in the kiosks than there were at cash registers prior to the change. Adding to those employees are the receipt checkers. I don't see the reduction of manpower. Pilferage is also on the increase in WA, in particular, because they charge for bags that many people choose not to purchase, so it is difficult to tell who has paid and who hasn't as the unbagged items leave the store. The cashiers are a cost of doing business that is already figured into the prices. Also, those kiosks purchase and installation costs are not free. Now if Walmart discounted my order by $15/hr divided by my checkout time, I might think differently but we both know that will not happen.

How does if affect him or his job if I don’t stop? I doubt very much he’s going to get in trouble or even really cares.
As a dude who did that on occasion decades ago, yea we didn't give a shit. We only really cared if it was an old lady trying to push a cart. One of us would help them out.

My Walmart constantly has a police car parked out front. Most Walmarts do. That cop is somewhere around the store, either upstairs where they watch the customers from overhead, or on the floor. I fucking guarantee you that if the cop was standing next to the receipt guy you would comply. You're only not complying because you don't see the receipt guy as a threat.

That doesn't make you right. It just makes you an asshole.
He said he shows his receipt numb nuts

If the scenario that you describe was what is happening at Walmart, I would agree. However, what I have witnessed at our Walmart does not follow your description. In our store, there are more employees tending to customers in the kiosks than there were at cash registers prior to the change. Adding to those employees are the receipt checkers. I don't see the reduction of manpower. Pilferage is also on the increase in WA, in particular, because they charge for bags that many people choose not to purchase, so it is difficult to tell who has paid and who hasn't as the unbagged items leave the store. The cashiers are a cost of doing business that is already figured into the prices. Also, those kiosks purchase and installation costs are not free. Now if Walmart discounted my order by $15/hr divided by my checkout time, I might think differently but we both know that will not happen.
Possibly but if they are not reducing costs, and that is the definition of being more productive, then the automated checkout lines would be disappearing.

They are not. If what you say is true, why do you think they are continually adding more of them? A company like Wal-Mart does not do things that will damage the bottom line - there needs to be gains somewhere. So where are they?

the automated checkout lines would be disappearing.
They are disappearing here--when the lines get two or three customers long behind the cashiers, they put more cashiers on. People in this area stand their ground. If they don't like something, they don't use it.
there needs to be gains somewhere.
I agree with you, but sometimes these mental giants think that all they have to do is implement something and it will automatically be a success. Doesn't always work that way.

They are disappearing here--when the lines get two or three customers long behind the cashiers, they put more cashiers on. People in this area stand their ground. If they don't like something, they don't use it.
That would make sense then if this is your experience.

I have a different experience here. The self checkout lanes have only grown. We have, however, never even come within the ballpark of replacing cashiers either. There are at least 20 checkout lanes still present in each of the three stores I have been in - more likely 30. The self checkouts took the space of about 3 lines but they are able to fit 9 self checkout registers in the same space and man all 9 with one person who is usually doing other things as well. It has been a pretty good rollout here - I have plenty of lanes if I want to use one and have plenty of self checkout lanes when I only have a few items.
I agree with you, but sometimes these mental giants think that all they have to do is implement something and it will automatically be a success. Doesn't always work that way.
Well, that is certainly true.

No one or entity is perfect. One of the reasons capitalism is so damn effective, it lets failures actually fail.

That would make sense then if this is your experience.

I have a different experience here. The self checkout lanes have only grown. We have, however, never even come within the ballpark of replacing cashiers either. There are at least 20 checkout lanes still present in each of the three stores I have been in - more likely 30. The self checkouts took the space of about 3 lines but they are able to fit 9 self checkout registers in the same space and man all 9 with one person who is usually doing other things as well. It has been a pretty good rollout here - I have plenty of lanes if I want to use one and have plenty of self checkout lanes when I only have a few items.

Well, that is certainly true.

No one or entity is perfect. One of the reasons capitalism is so damn effective, it lets failures actually fail.
Ours is a small town in a small county. They only kept maybe seven or eight registers and they must have thirty or so self-checks. They started out only putting one or two employees in each self check area, but it has expanded to the point that there are at least 15 floaters in the self check and each area has a "asst. manager" to handle check payments and customer and kiosk mistakes. They are usually forced to open up four sometimes five registers.
We also have a regional chain store and a Safeway, but they only installed four self checks in each of those.

The real question is how you phase those productivity increases in so that the discord created in specific labor markets is not overly destructive or where the breaking point is, if there is a breaking point

Yes; you start with a moratorium on immigration for 4 decades and you enforce your borders and prosecute employers who hire illegals. Then you begin deporting criminals who immigrated and do not want to integrate.

So Walmart is replacing cashier's. This is of zero concern since those jobs are only for kids as most minimum wage jobs are.

Exactly.

Somehow, these little snot-nose bastards have it in their heads that they should be paid $15 ir $20 an hour, and they refuse to work if they don't get it. When the technology didn't exist, perhaps that was a viable tactic. But now, companies are availing themselves of the technology which will do the same job for far less money...

Yes, but they are careers now whether or not anybody likes that. Over 85% of job creation the last 20 years have been part time crap service industry jobs.

That can lead to higher paying jobs if the person applies themselves, and tries to move up.

Also plenty of good trade jobs remain unfilled, you just have to be willing to wake up at 5 to be at work at 7.

The owner of one of the most popular restaurants in St. Augustine, Florida started out there as a bus boy in the 1960's when he was 12 years old. He's never worked anywhere else...

Watch a Short Film About Florida's Iconic O'Steen's Restaurant
the guy who married my cousin started out as a bus boy for the 4 Seasons Hotels.....he worked his way up to be one of the top 5 people in the management structure....he is retired now and worth a lot of money...

I rarely ever set foot in a Walmart, but I went into one the other day because of convenience. They no longer have any cashiers left. The entire check out line has been converted to self check out. Apparently, this is being done all over the country because a friend of mine in Ohio just posted about it on social media.

Here is the result of your $15 an hour for unskilled labor. Enjoy.

Also you don't have to provide benefits to a scanning machine.

Forum List

Back