War Angel: The Chauvinism Fable (Arthur Conan Doyle)

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
There are tales and stories of WWI soldiers claiming to see angels and spirits during times of rest or during times of battle. These 'war angels' certainly signified the soldiers' preoccupation with the trauma of violence and the natural metaphysical response of sentimentality yielding 'hallucinations' or 'daydreams' of guiding 'forces.'

However, such tales can have merit for psychology if we want to appreciate why holography, psychiatry, and visual-art therapy reinforces in us an instinctual belief that 'helping hands' fulfill some kind of 'spiritual curiosity' about being completely alone in the universe.

While that may be as child-like and/or innocent/harmless as Santa Claus, it does not mean we have to 'intellectually discredit' such 'playfulness' as symbolic of the 'bright side' of human imagination.

Sherlock Holmes detective-novelist Arthur Conan Doyle was apparently privately invested in theosophical inquiries regarding the existence of fairies or fantastic creatures/beings, even though he wrote about analytics behind crime-detection, paving the way for modern detective-storytelling (e.g., Murder She Wrote, Matlock, Columbo, Dick Tracy, etc.).

====

"Let me tell you about a Centurion from Rome who forsook his power to assist a group of gypsy servants who fell down weary from building a great wall for the Emperor. This Centurion later wondered what would have happened had he kept his dominion and prominence and simply sought a happy and comfortable life. He wondered if he'd have found true love!"

centurion1.jpg

"Another Centurion was alive during the slow decline of the Roman Empire. This Centurion decided to leave the side of his Egyptian queen to 'assist' the crumbling of Rome, since he recognized its evils, much to the dismay of his Egyptian queen-mistress. This Centurion was more interested in seeing proper history of empire-downfall than lay by a queen's side and indulge in the daydreams of comfort and romance."

centurion2.jpg

"Another Centurion was an Allied soldier during WWII who, during a battle in a Polish city abandoned, believed he saw the visage of a beautiful female angel in a brown robe. He later reasoned it was a hallucination produced from the trauma of exploding bombs and gunfire kicking up dust and debris from the roads around him and in his eyes. He nevertheless fantasized that this 'apparition' was some 'sign' of better things to come...for the whole world."

centurion3.jpg

"Another Centurion was a strong general of the U.S. Army during the Gulf War in Iraq (Middle East). This Centurion was concerned that the Gulf War was purely capital-based and petroleum-driven and wondered how much the U.S. government actually cared about the political plight of the Kuwaitis his side was fighting to protect and strengthen. This Centurion became very depressed after coming home to America following the conclusion of the war and watched a lot of TV (a lot of TV)...daydreaming that he was some kind of 'great statesman' on his way to marrying a beautiful American stateswoman."

centurion4.jpg

"My name is Wonder Woman. I know you've heard of me, since DC Comics has made my 'visage' and warrior-queen persona rather potent. I even enjoyed the TV series starring Lynda Carter and the new film starring Gal Gadot. Yes, I can pick up TV signals from my planet of Amazonian warrior-women. Well, I recount these 'testimonies' of great centurions' to you, since I believe, in a way, that the 'image' of great Utopian idealism they daydreamed about while fighting and witnessing tribulation was perhaps a praise of the 'fertility' associated with the natural 'human sympathy' tangibly felt during the hellish agonies of war and claustropobia of empires and therefore of my liberty-sword and spiritual magic-rope, and yes...of me!"

centurion5.jpg

TRUMP: Did you hear about the package received in the White House?
CARTER: Yes, I did, Mr. President! It was a Wonder Woman mailing.
TRUMP: That's the claim, Carter.
CARTER: Apparently, a woman sent you a copy of Sherlock Holmes with a note.
TRUMP: The note was from a woman claiming to be Wonder Woman herself!
CARTER: Perhaps a fan of comic books who's been watching too much TV.
TRUMP: What was interesting was the note attached...
CARTER: Why? What did this 'special note' say?
TRUMP: It read, "Every good politician should be a detective of the human spirit."
CARTER: What do you think that means? Perhaps a feminist-critique?
TRUMP: I thought it was a critique of my sexual-misconduct allegations at first.
CARTER: However, you later considered it to be something more?
TRUMP: Yes, I did; I think whoever wrote it wanted me to consider something...
CARTER: What?
TRUMP: I think she wanted me to consider the 'moral weight' of leadership.
CARTER: Because of a Sherlock Holmes book?
TRUMP: Well, Arthur Conan Doyle was interested in theosophy and metaphysics too...
CARTER: What do you think that means?
TRUMP: I think the woman who sent the package wants me to feel more 'feminine.'
CARTER: Hmm, in that case (sir), I'd seriously entertain the notion it's really Wonder Woman.
TRUMP: Why not, Carter, why not?

====

:1peleas:

Forum List

Back