Watch Reagan And Bush Debate Immigration 33 Yrs Ago & Marvel How Far GOP Has Fallen

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
Madam President 2024
Conservative icon? :lol:

Watch Reagan And Bush Debate Immigration 33 Years Ago And Marvel At How Far This GOP Has Fallen

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixi9_cciy8w&feature=player_embedded]Candidates Reagan & Bush-41 Discuss Illegal Immigration in 1980 Debate - YouTube[/ame]

As they competed for the GOP presidential nomination in 1980, future presidents Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush both offered a more modern and accepting take on immigration than some in their party are offering in 2013.

Bush echoed his son George W. in calling for solutions to a broken system:

But the problem has to be solved. The problem has to be solved. Because, as we have made illegal some kinds of labor that I’d like to see legal, we’re doing two things, we’re creating a whole society of really honorable, decent, family-loving people that are in violation of the law and secondly we’re exacerbating relations with Mexico.

Reagan rejected the idea of building a wall, offering pragmatism and openness to Mexican immigrants:

Rather than talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems? Make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit. And then, while they’re working and earning here they can pay taxes here.

It’s a far cry from the 2012 primary, when Mitt Romney endorsed “self-deportation” to get to the right of Rick Perry, who accused him of hiring “illegal immigrants.”

Liberals would sell out this country just to prove they are the most welcoming of people..the hell with the MILLIONS of legal citizens IN THE UNEMPLOYMENT line, we need to add millions more..

unbelievable how low they will go to prove something..now they are praising Reagan who they hate

stupid people

Last edited:
If you're too stupid to understand your mother tongue, that's not my fault, Corky.
Got nothing concerning the OP? Again? :lol:
Has everything to do with it.

The lolberals chumped the nation on the last round of amnesty and they're trying to do it again.

All playing some blast from the past with Ronnie and Poppy Bush shows us is that they were willing to get suckered in.

comparing immigration in the 80's to now is as stupid as comparing the debt then/now

also, bush has always been pro immigration and the base was always against him

i fail to see anything enlightening about this thread

comparing immigration in the 80's to now is as stupid as comparing the debt then/now

also, bush has always been pro immigration and the base was always against him

i fail to see anything enlightening about this thread

There never is anything "enlightening" with the OP..he starts a dumb thread then trolls the hell out it

They were trying to get the nomination at that time in History. They are politicians, what do you expect. Most politicians, both sides, would call their wife a whore if it meant they would get elected.

Not falling for the same old cynical lolberal bait-and-switch again isn't falling anywhere...It's wising up.
Try that again in English, there, Slingblade.
Try comprehension....it does wonders for the soul....

Reagan was not infallible. His mistake with regard to immigration was a belief that the Democrat/progressive had honor and actually worked to keep their word. We all know better now, and will insist that border security comes BEFORE any other aspect of immigration reform.

Not to difficult to understand really, so I expect it will go over your head.

We essentially did what they said. We didn't secure the border, we legalized the illegal immigrants, and we started a bunch of work visas. 33 years later, how do you think that turned out?

That's my problem with the new immigration plan. What are we going to do next time? Because if we pass the current plan being voted on, I guarantee that we'll be right back where we are today in another 30 years or so.

Forum List

Back