We have a Pope

I'm quite certain that all the local Italians listening to his blessing realized right away that he is Argentine and not Italian. I'm very confident that most are pleased and proud to share a heritage with the new Pope, though.

294-Youre-doing-it-wrong-asshole-bible-quotes-heaven-matthew-poverty-riches-the-pope.jpg

If I did the whole rep thing, I'd give you a huge positive rep for this.

How dare these old farts live in such wealth while controlling what their followers do.

I remember when one of the popes went to Africa and told them not to use condoms. What did he care? He didn't have to watch children die of starvation.

THAT is what the Catholic church is all about though. Rake in the money and let children starve.

A pastoral pope, simple life style, no scandals.

Let's hope a new age of reformation sweeps the Catholic Church.
Yes, in Buenos Aires he lived in a simple apartment, did his own cooking, and took public transportation.

on that note we have been here before. Pope John Paul I....and they made short work of him.

The Roman Curia is a basket full of snakes.

My best wishes to him and my prayers go out to him, hes got quite a job ahead.

Often wonder if he was offed.

I'm quite certain that all the local Italians listening to his blessing realized right away that he is Argentine and not Italian. I'm very confident that most are pleased and proud to share a heritage with the new Pope, though.

294-Youre-doing-it-wrong-asshole-bible-quotes-heaven-matthew-poverty-riches-the-pope.jpg

If I did te whole rep thing, I'd give you a huge positive rep for this.

How dare these old farts live in such wealth while controlling what their followers do.

I remember when one of the popes went to Africa and told them not to use condoms. What did he care? He didn't have to watch children die of starvation.

THAT is what the Catholic church is all about though. Rake in the money and let children starve.

yup.

white smoke

The Argentinian church
The Catholic church was complicit in dreadful crimes in Argentina.*

As it happens, in the week before Christmas in the city of Córdoba Videla and some of his military and police cohorts were convicted by their country's courts of the murder of 31 people between April and October 1976, a small fraction of the killings they were responsible for. The convictions brought life sentences for some of the military. These were not to be served, as has often been the case in Argentina and neighboring Chile, in comfy armed forces retirement homes but in common prisons. Unsurprisingly there was dancing in the city's streets when the judge announced the sentences.

What one did not hear from any senior member of the Argentinian hierarchy was any expression of regret for the church's collaboration and in these crimes. The extent of the church's complicity in the dark deeds was excellently set out by Horacio Verbitsky, one of Argentina's most notable journalists, in his book El Silencio (Silence). He recounts how the Argentinian navy with the connivance of Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio, now the Jesuit archbishop of Buenos Aires, hid from a visiting delegation of the Inter-American Human Rights Commission the dictatorship's political prisoners. Bergoglio was hiding them in nothing less than his holiday home in an island called El Silencio in the River Plate. The most shaming thing for the church is that in such circumstances Bergoglio's name was allowed to go forward in the ballot to chose the successor of John Paul II

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belief/2011/jan/04/argenitina-videla-bergoglio-repentance

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back