'We must never descend into violence': Biden condemns Trump rally shooting; details on suspect, victims emerge

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012
President Joe Biden addresses the nation from the Oval Office of the White House in Washington, Sunday, July 14, 2024, about the assassination attempt of Republican presidential candidate former President Donald Trump at a campaign rally in Pennsylvania. (Erin Schaff/Pool via AP)

In a primetime address Sunday from the Oval Office, one day after what the FBI described as an assassination attempt on former President Donald Trump, President Biden delivered a message that sought to cool the heated political rhetoric of the 2024 campaign.

“My fellow Americans,” Biden began his address, “I want to speak to you tonight about the need for us to lower the temperature in our politics and to remember that, while we may disagree, we are not enemies. Even though these MAGA types wish to end democracy, shred the Constitution, and return us to the Third Reich like I have been saying with impunity since before I can remember in my dementia rattled brain, just remember, we’re neighbors, we’re friends, co-workers, citizens, and, most importantly, we’re fellow Americans. Did I mention Trump is a felon.........................the bad kind, not like my son?”

“The Republican convention will start tomorrow. I’ve no doubt that they will criticize my record and offer their own vision for this country. They will point to the fact that the border, the economy, the wars abroad, it's all an abject disaster, blah, blah, blah. Look, Hitler boy can say whatever he wants at the convention, but just know through it all we all need to come together despite these facts. We need to come together and vote Jill for President to save democracy so that I can retain my Senate seat. I’ll be traveling this week making the case for our record and my — our — vision. I’ll continue to speak out strongly for our democracy, stand up for our Constitution and the rule of law, both of which I ignore, and Trump wants to shred,” Biden said, adding that there should be “no violence on our streets. at least there are none scheduled by George Soros and BLM for the coming weeks, so violence should be down a bit.”

Forum List

Back